Brandon Marshall shares his fine letter, which he’s fine with

Brandon Marshall AP

Bears wide receiver Brandon Marshall, as promised, wore green shoes last week to bring attention to Mental Health Awareness Week.

And as promised, the NFL fined him for it.

Marshall just shared his fine letter on Twitter, which shows he was hit for a $10,500 donation to the league’s charitable causes for his display. He said he planned to match any fine with a donation.

“Football is my platform, not my purpose,” he wrote, and now he’ll write a check to back up his actions.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Home, Rumor Mill
26 Responses to “Brandon Marshall shares his fine letter, which he’s fine with”
  1. jonirocit says: Oct 16, 2013 9:10 AM

Wow I actually like this move by Marshall and his comments.

2. larryboodry says: Oct 16, 2013 9:13 AM

Classy move by Marshall.

3. FinFan68 says: Oct 16, 2013 9:15 AM

“Football is my platform, not my purpose,”
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sounds good but it really isn’t. Without football, Marshall would likely be in jail. It is his occupation of choice (if not necessity). This “platform” has given him fame and fortune, he ought to respect that more than he does. Yes, it is a great cause but he should promote that cause in a better way than being a nonconformist rebel at work.

Brandon is much better than he was only a couple years ago. There are times when he speaks that I think he actually (finally) gets it but every once in a while he says some boneheaded stuff again or reverts back to that selfish mentality. At least he hasn’t been in the headlines off the field lately.

4. chi01town says: Oct 16, 2013 9:21 AM

Thats how you win the Walter payton award and go to the pro bowl

5. vargavarga says: Oct 16, 2013 9:24 AM

Even though I’m a Packer fan, I’m beginning to like this guy more and more.

6. wizwix says: Oct 16, 2013 9:25 AM

Finfan – don’t be bitter. This was a classy move any way you look at it.

7. wjcain23 says: Oct 16, 2013 9:30 AM

Think you are being a bit presumptive to assume he would be in jail. Further, I applaud this. It is something that has touched him personally. Most athletes/celebrities go to great pains to hide something like this to maintain an image-he has chosen to share his illness to help others. If the NFL wanted to show some class, they would match his donation for Mental Health.

Stop being cynical because he didn’t work out in Mia.

8. dannyreneau says: Oct 16, 2013 9:32 AM

Not a bears fan, but this is class. I’d like to see more players “rebel” against goodells ridiculous fines in this way.

9. gjones33 says: Oct 16, 2013 9:34 AM

Finfan68…thats just stupid…it is precisely because football is his platform and not his purpose that he does the things you criticize him for…and to say without football that he would be in jail, now I know youre just some ignorant redneck, or if you went to school, it was in Gainesville….so youre still an ignorant redneck.
    Dont give someone a hard time for using their spotlight to shed light on a cause that theyre passionate about, I would hope most of us would do something similar given the opportunity/platform to help others. He may have made some mistakes in his life, But if you can get money to charity and make the nfl front offoce look bad at the same time? Good work in my book

10. larryboodry says: Oct 16, 2013 9:39 AM

FinFan68…Nothing wrong with his quote, he knows there are more important things in life than football. By saying that, he in no way diminishes or disrespects the game. And by wearing the green shoes he just added $21,000 to help those suffering from mental illness.

The No Fun League needs more non-conformists like him.

11. gmsingh123 says: Oct 16, 2013 9:46 AM

Aren’t there any Elvis Costello fans out there? Marshall needs to follow it up by wearing red shoes.

12. tonyovertroy says: Oct 16, 2013 9:48 AM

Devil’s advocate:

We all say that a fine based on shoe color is ridiculous (I agree)…

…but do any media outlets take heed of his Mental Health Awareness shoes if that ridiculous rule isn’t in place?

In other words, while we applaud Marshall for his actions, if they weren’t against the rules, no one would’ve noticed.

Just an interesting way to look at this. I applaud his charity but many athletes donate without us really knowing about it. If Goodell didn’t maintain senseless uniform mandates, this would’ve been a quite donation to charity instead of the huge rebellion against the League of Denial that it became.

13. wannabear says: Oct 16, 2013 9:51 AM

You don’t know the impact of mental issues if you haven’t been in that situation. I have a son who is goign through this, and itell ya, it’s not fun.

14. larryboodry says: Oct 16, 2013 9:52 AM

Titus Young needs that money all by himself…And think how bitter FinFan would be if Young was a former Dolphin.

15. cipha17 says: Oct 16, 2013 9:53 AM

Lynch got fined 5K for wearing green cleats vs. Houston, if I’m not mistaken Marshall informed the league of his intentions prior to the game. If the NFL is going to support beast cancer awareness month it should stop there, mental health is a disease that is more oftentimes overlooked because the lack of physical symptoms.

16. colts81 says: Oct 16, 2013 10:15 AM

Good

17. FinFan68 says: Oct 16, 2013 10:40 AM

18. jazsrt says: Oct 16, 2013 11:13 AM

“Football is my platform, not my purpose,”-I really appreciate this.

I, for one, had no idea that it was Mental Health Awareness Week. As I looked out my window last week, and saw the green Chicago skyline, I put two and two together.

If he hadn’t done this, I (and many people) would have not had a clue.

Kudo’s to Marshall for doing this.

19. footballchic777 says: Oct 16, 2013 11:51 AM

I have to say I watched this guys interview after his game last week, and I was thoroughly impressed. Great to see when guys turn it around and give it back! Great job Brandon!

20. dopey9713chicago27 says: Oct 16, 2013 12:34 PM

@tonyovertroy

Yeah, we still would’ve noticed those shoes- they were bright neon! I texted my sister during the game and said ‘what’s up with Marshall’s neon green shoes?’ about 40 minutes later the announcers explained.
    So, yeah, they would have been noticed and mentioned regardless of whether or not a fine was attached.

21. pagoclown says: Oct 16, 2013 1:27 PM

FinFan68 taking a page from the Jim Irsay book of public relations.

“Not bitter at all, guys. My post wasn’t intended to be an attack on Marshall. It was geared towards those guys that think they don’t need to follow the rules (for whatever reason) and Marshall was simply the latest example. I said it was a “great cause” and I said Marshall is doing much better than he used to. I think it is great that he brought a bit of awareness to mental health issues and has donated money to that cause. His quote just rubbed me the wrong way. Had the entire quote been posted, I would have viewed it a bit differently. Like I said, it is a great cause but there are better ways to promote it.”

22. pdennis33 says: Oct 16, 2013 2:02 PM

This is awesome.

What would have awesome is if the NFL took all of his fine money that he had to pay them and they too gave that amount to help Mental Health Awareness. Would have been classy on both sides then.

Well done Brandon!

23. ricardocabeza says: Oct 16, 2013 4:26 PM

As a Bears fan, I love what Marshall does on the field, but this seems a little attentions seeking. I am also very familiar with BPS from my professional life and it is a terrible problem often caused by abuse, neglect and stupidity of people that raised the afflicted individual. The NFL’s grandiose ( all puns intended) attention to breast cancer awareness comes off as more PR than substance. For all those affected by breast cancer, there is mental illness, diabetes, various other cancers, poverty, autism and environmental disaster that affect just as many. So what color shoes we wearing for those weeks???

24. realitycheckbaby says: Oct 16, 2013 4:28 PM

Another Bear player not committed to the sport or his team.

Bravo.

No wonder. This organization sucks as much as the team and the players.

25. ivanpavlov0000 says: Oct 16, 2013 4:40 PM

Nike should make a hefty donation to the National Alliance for the Mentally Ill, for all the free publicity this is getting them.

26. blueeize says: Oct 17, 2013 5:06 AM

Wheather or not his “platform” is football or not doesn’t matter. I admire someone that will go out on their own and stand up for Mental Awareness. Not enough ppl are aware of the extent that goes along with mental illness. It is not fun to deal with. I have battled this ugly thing for 20 years now. Kudos to Marshall for standing up for what he believes in and chooses to support!!!