Mariota mum on his NFL plans

Mariota AP

With all the talk about Teddy Bridgewater and Jadeveon Clowney, there’s another name that has been overlooked in the discussion of potential first overall draft picks.

As Peter King of TheMMQB.com recently reported, at least two teams would have Oregon’s Marcus Mariota higher on their boards than Bridgewater, if Mariota opts to leave school after the current season.

For his part, Mariota is mum.

“My family and I have decided to hold off on these conversations until after the season,” Mariota told 750 The Game in Portland, via Rotoworld.com.  “We’re obviously going to put the pros and cons together, and we’re going to do what’s best for the family.  At the same time, my education is important. . . .  I love Oregon.  I love the community.  We’ll decide when the time is right.”

It’s the prudent move for Mariota.  Neither he nor his team benefit from any talk about leaving for the NFL, until he’s ready to say he’s staying or leaving for 2014.

If Mariota believes he’ll be one of the top picks in the draft, there’s no reason to continue to play football for free.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
24 Responses to “Mariota mum on his NFL plans”
  1. nitro276 says: Oct 16, 2013 1:34 PM

Stay in school Marcus. I don’t Chip Kelly or certain sects of the Philadelphia media clamoring to draft you. Nick Foles is the Eagles’ future.

2. slashrageblog says: Oct 16, 2013 1:38 PM

Except, you know, if he truly values having a college degree over being a high draft pick to a bad team.

3. gojags says: Oct 16, 2013 1:40 PM

I would love to get him for the Jags @ #1. Ok with Teddy as well, except his size. Too small not sure if he can withstand the punishment especially on that leaking offensive line.

4. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Oct 16, 2013 1:45 PM

Stories about quarterbacks that have the potential to be high draft picks suddenly have become very interesting to me.

5. kingmj4891 says: Oct 16, 2013 1:49 PM

Get the money while you can. You can always go back to school, but if you can get picked in the top 10 of the draft you should be set for life.

6. rjov says: Oct 16, 2013 1:54 PM

And for us that don’t know, his position is?

7. 4thquartermagic says: Oct 16, 2013 1:56 PM

Translation:

“We’ll see who ends up with the #1 pick. I’d rather stay at Oregon then play for Jacksonville.”

8. sclobernocker47 says: Oct 16, 2013 2:00 PM

The “stay in school” club is funny. Im sure it would be impossible to go back for a degree with alll that money should his career fall short. AMIRITE?

9. gunpowderjones says: Oct 16, 2013 2:01 PM

Just about everybody has a degree these days. If he does value it so highly, he can finish up his kinesiology degree or whatever during the offseason

10. gojags436 says: Oct 16, 2013 2:02 PM

I’d rather the Jags draft this kid than Bridgewater.

11. 49erstim says: Oct 16, 2013 2:09 PM

He isn’t “playing for free”, Mike. He is getting an education at a prestigious university and football is how he pays for that. People try to make these kids out to be an unpaid/slave labor force. Ridiculous. He is getting a college degree that puts the less athletic student base into debt for a decade or so. He then has potential future employers clamoring for his services DIRECTLY out of school. Please tell us more about the hardships placed upon these kids! Where can I donate to this cause? I’ll give up the “price of just one cup of coffee”!

12. coltzfan166 says: Oct 16, 2013 2:11 PM

Well what if he wants his degree? What if he wants to win a National Championship?

13. zam0854 says: Oct 16, 2013 2:37 PM

Mariota will ONLY play for Philadelphia in NFL lets get that straight….and for Teddy Bridgewaters’ size, 6’3 200 lbs is a good weight to play at in the NFL for a QB. Not saying that that is an average weight to play at but Teddy can move for his size, even if he doesnt need to move.

14. Grinds My Gear says: Oct 16, 2013 2:37 PM

To me a lot of Oregon players are a product of being a freak athlete in a very good system designed around that. So far Oregon offensive players have not impressed in the pros, maybe besides Kyle Long.

Mariota is great in that system, and he has the numbers to prove that. However, I’ve seen some of Oregon’s games. He’s one of those guys who are extremely impressive on paper, then you put up the tape and you find dozens of things wrong with him.

15. shackdelrio says: Oct 16, 2013 2:47 PM

“4thquartermagic says:
    Oct 16, 2013 1:56 PM
    Translation:

Bridgewater will be the first pick so it doesn’t matter

16. Mr. Wright 212 says: Oct 16, 2013 2:49 PM

Look at how inaccurate he is, despite being in a system that should yield Jameis Winston-level efficiency.

17. Mr. Wright 212 says: Oct 16, 2013 2:50 PM

System QB.

18. Carl Gerbschmidt says: Oct 16, 2013 3:06 PM

Rick Spielman is a Magician says:Oct 16, 2013 1:45 PM

__________

What? I thought Joshua Freeman was your QB of the future? Didn’t GJ say that he was very vocal and had great command presence in the huddle?

19. circuscivics says: Oct 16, 2013 3:15 PM

Those maybe the only two NFL Franchises with Mariota ahead of Teddy Bridgewater. I watch a ton of College Football, and have no doge in this, but from what I have seen, Bridgewater is miles ahead of Mariota. Not even close. Bridgewater makes the difficult throws, and runs a check with me pro-style offense. Similar to what Luck did at Stanford. Both ran a version of the WC offense. I don’t want to hear about competition, because Bridgewater already displayed what he can do against the top Defense in college football on a National stage with inferior (compared to Oregon) talent around him. Mariota might not be the best QB in the PAC 12. Brett Hundley maybe even better. Mariota is just as impressive as Dennis Dixion was before his injury.

20. floriooffendsmyheritage says: Oct 16, 2013 3:16 PM

You and your lawyer-mentality seem to neglect the fact that the kid could continue to develop into a better player, regardless of draft stock. How many players have chased the cash by leaving school early and ending up becoming busts? I am sure that at least some.of them would have grown as players had they spent another year playing college ball. It would also demonstrate a certain level.of discipline, or at least help to instill it in them. With the rookie wage scale, top picks benefit much more from their second contract than their first, so I would argue that there are several significant reasons to continue to play for free.

21. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Oct 16, 2013 4:22 PM

Carl Gerbschmidt says:Oct 16, 2013 3:06 PM

Rick Spielman is a Magician says:Oct 16, 2013 1:45 PM

__________

________

Let’s see how he does. I predict Christian Ponder finishes the year as the starting quarterback and will be back with the team next year as the mentor/backup to young Mr. First-Round QB Du Jour. Freeman and Cassel will probably both be gone.

22. fearthehoody says: Oct 16, 2013 6:12 PM

He’s no Brett Hundley!

23. forever9ers says: Oct 16, 2013 8:31 PM

Win the national title or Heisman trophy, then Mariota will be too hot a draft prospect not to declare for the pros.

24. vegasdestroyer says: Nov 1, 2013 9:29 AM

Jags get Foles and 2 number one draft picks. MM trades one green jersey for another.