Ratliff bids farewell to Dallas, plans to play in 2014

Ratliff AP

After denying that they planned to move on from defensive lineman Jay Ratliff, the Cowboys supplied him with a pink slip on Wednesday.

Ratliff said farewell to Dallas via a statement released to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

“First let me say thank you to the Dallas Cowboys and Jerry Jones for taking a chance on me in 2005,” Ratliff said. “I have thoroughly enjoyed my time with the Cowboys and it was always my desire to begin and end my career here in Dallas. But I understand this business and now it’s time to move on, turn the page and begin again.

“To all my teammates, I want to wish them nothing but the best. Stay strong, keep fighting and always believe. I’m sorry I couldn’t be there for you, but I will always support you and value our time together.

Ratliff’s agent, Mark Slough, separately told Rowan Kaven of DallasCowboys.com that Ratliff intends to play in 2014. Slough also said that Ratliff didn’t have a sports hernia, but that Ratliff suffered from a ripped muscle in his pelvis.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill
13 Responses to “Ratliff bids farewell to Dallas, plans to play in 2014”
  1. mattbarkley123 says: Oct 16, 2013 7:16 PM

phi!

2. realfootballfan says: Oct 16, 2013 7:21 PM

His body just has broken down on him. He was one of the best linemen in football before that happened.

3. bigdinla says: Oct 16, 2013 8:00 PM

Thanks for the time Jay! You were a great player for awhile and we appreciate all you did. Good luck.

4. dallasfan89 says: Oct 16, 2013 8:20 PM

Disgusted by how this all ended. Tarnishes it all for me

5. mungman69 says: Oct 16, 2013 8:25 PM

Cowboy fans are the best in the NFL? He’s kidding. When Dallas loses Cowboy fans just can’t be found.

6. jerrysglassescleaner says: Oct 16, 2013 9:46 PM

“And to all the Cowboy fans, I want to say it was an honor to play for you. Cowboy fans are the best fans in the NFL and I thank each and every one of you for the support and love you have shown to me these past 9 years. I will miss you.” .

He got that right! How many years of being mediocre has Dallas had yet we travel with the team well, keep the stadium seats warm, keep buying merchandise. We are #1 in raking money. Sorry haters, If you don’t like it, then follow Cowboys fan’s examples and help your team beat those numbers. Sit down!

7. ambitoos says: Oct 16, 2013 10:04 PM

Nine years is enough Jay. Take the money and start a new life. Football is only a temporary career and at your age you’ll get hurt again.

8. orivar says: Oct 16, 2013 10:24 PM

A good player, what a shame. He could probably use the break though, I think all football players should take a year off from football. It always seems to do them well in the long run.

9. krenshaws says: Oct 16, 2013 10:34 PM

Dallas fans can be classified into two categories. Inbred morons from Texas and bandwagon jumpers from the 90s. Both disgust me, luckily for all us true football fans the Cowboys have won exactly 1 playoff game since 1996.

10. trailbuddy says: Oct 17, 2013 1:15 AM

Hey Mungman, have you checked Dallas Cowboys facebook page? There are 5.6 million of us there.

11. NakedCowboy! says: Oct 17, 2013 3:17 AM

He and Ware were the heart and soul of that defense for so many years. Good player. Not a great leader. Thanks for great years Jay! good luck!

12. joetoronto says: Oct 17, 2013 4:03 AM

Straight class all the way.

13. packfanaj12 says: Oct 17, 2013 9:42 AM

What a classy guy, turns the other cheek and more.