RG3 doesn’t want anyone telling him “how to play this game”

Washington Redskins  v Dallas Cowboys Getty Images

After a Sunday night loss to the Cowboys in which he ran well but threw poorly, Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III said he was trying to keep his own counsel.

In a post-game interview with the Redskins Radio Network (via the Washington Post), Griffin said he needed to be instinctive at times.

“Yeah, you know, I’m just really focusing on being the playmaker that I know I can be and not letting anybody else tell me how to play this game,” Griffin said, in response to a prompt about his running plays. “You know, I got here for a reason, and I’ve got to make sure I use all of my abilities to their maximum. And running the ball is one of those, when I do get the opportunity.

“It’s not that I’m looking for it, but if it is there, I will take it.”

It’s possible that it was simply an unfortunate choice of words immediately after a disappointing loss.

But after an offseason spent wondering whether Griffin and coach Mike Shanahan were on the same page (full of denials from both sides), it might also be reasonable to suggest the possibility that it’s a window to what he’s feeling about the way he’s being used, and how he was handled in the playoffs last year and through the preseason this year.

Permalink 117 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
117 Responses to “RG3 doesn’t want anyone telling him “how to play this game””
  1. jlmd17 says: Oct 16, 2013 7:45 AM

Is this guy still in the league?

2. kperagine says: Oct 16, 2013 7:48 AM

RG3 was the best rookie QB(look at his stats vs. Lucks) last year because of his skill set and abilities. That injury was a huge blow that he still hasn’t recovered from. I really hope he can turn it around.

3. iceburgskin202 says: Oct 16, 2013 7:50 AM

Do what you gotta do to get the W!!! HTTR

4. chut26 says: Oct 16, 2013 7:51 AM

Ahh look! It’s Michael Vick Jr! How cute…

5. ccjcsr says: Oct 16, 2013 7:52 AM

Ego trip!

6. ravensrooster94 says: Oct 16, 2013 7:54 AM

It’s just more of “RG ME.” Good luck with that, Shanny.

7. jimmyt says: Oct 16, 2013 7:54 AM

Oh oh, taking a (well deserved) slap at both Shanahan’s, that could get you benched for the rest of your career with those two. Redskins fans – do you realize your team will win nothing until a coaching change is made?

8. clay325 says: Oct 16, 2013 7:54 AM

And that Skins fans is why you will remain losers! Kid already thinks he knows it ALL

9. t8ertot says: Oct 16, 2013 7:57 AM

All that off season hype. Overrated qb and division. All the NFC east is good for is a mediocre playoff team and the worst records. I don’t get why the media is always on their jock strap

10. patriots123456 says: Oct 16, 2013 7:58 AM

Including logicalvoice!

11. 1rockyracoon says: Oct 16, 2013 8:00 AM

No need for Griffin to learn how to be a better QB. His “instincts” got him this far. Get real. Imagine how much better Vick would have been if he learned how to play his position better when he was younger.

12. dikshuttle says: Oct 16, 2013 8:03 AM

I mean, he wasn’t Peyton, but I thought he threw pretty well. Dallas’ coverage was uncharacteristically good. Man, that left a bad taste in my mouth, saying that.

13. Smarterthanyou says: Oct 16, 2013 8:06 AM

FraudIII should listen to ANYONE that is willing go help him, because he teams are exposing his limited skillset weekly now. He was overhyped and overrated. Im sure the best QB from last years rookie class, Russell Wilson, wiuld be happy to school him on better mechanics. But you cant teach skill, and Russell has way more than the fraud does.

Russell certainly give him advice on hairstyle and how to dress well. Two other areas the fraud is very very weak in.

14. primenumber19 says: Oct 16, 2013 8:07 AM

15. goodstory316 says: Oct 16, 2013 8:08 AM

I am so over hearing about this clown. Shut the ____ up. You are 1-4. Compared with your coaching staff, you don’t know anything about football. I’m not the biggest Shanahan fan, but he has been in football longer than Robert has been alive. I really can’t wait til this guy is either out of the league or on the DL again.

16. westampa says: Oct 16, 2013 8:08 AM

OH SNAP!!!!!

17. nick255 says: Oct 16, 2013 8:11 AM

Vick 2.0

18. camdenyard says: Oct 16, 2013 8:11 AM

Sure. Because he knows everything, of course.

19. brassknuckles47 says: Oct 16, 2013 8:12 AM

“And the winner for DIVA 2013 Season is…….”

20. goindy2006 says: Oct 16, 2013 8:14 AM

Go easy young man…

21. pats4win says: Oct 16, 2013 8:14 AM

RGIII wants to focus on “being a playmaker”?

How about focusing on being a quarterback, a solid all around player who uses his skills AND what he has on the field to his advantage? There are 11 players on the field with him and I’m sure at least four or five would be willing to help the Redskins win a game or two.

Or not. He can focus on being a “playmaker” if he wants. No sweat off my back if he busts up his knees even more while he leads his Redskins team to 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 records every year…. and maybe eke out a 10-6 when the skins have an easy schedule.

22. getyourownname says: Oct 16, 2013 8:18 AM

Looks like he won’t have to worry how he is being handled in the playoffs this year.

23. nfcbeastly says: Oct 16, 2013 8:21 AM

Wasn’t the Dallas game supposed to be his breakout performance coming off a bye week and being 6 weeks into the season? Instead he lays the biggest egg on a national stage.

24. kwgator says: Oct 16, 2013 8:23 AM

Dexys Midnight Runners & RG3 = One Hit Wonders

25. tincansailor981 says: Oct 16, 2013 8:23 AM

Despite all the rah rah rhetoric and attempts to make you think he’s humble, the narcissist shows what he’s really about – himself.

26. cuda1234 says: Oct 16, 2013 8:23 AM

Griffin sounds more and more like Tebow every day. I, I, I, I, I. If the organization would just do everything my way, put in the offense that makes me look good and let me do everything, that would be great. Screw everyone else.

Selfish punks.

27. bestbitter says: Oct 16, 2013 8:27 AM

I think this was directed at nail-biting fans and media who want to see him play from the pocket in a hover-round.

At some point he just has to play, if special teams had shown up Sunday night the game would have at least been interesting.

28. cguy7 says: Oct 16, 2013 8:36 AM

He needs a coach that can teach him how to throw the ball accurately with proper footwork. No excuse why he cannot connect with Garcon for a hundred yards every week. Saw him straddling the sidelines on a few of his runs again last week… Maybe he’ll never learn. I see an innaccurate thrower of the football with poor field awareness. Maybe he can mix in a film session watching and learning how to throw the ball and when to exit the field from Russell Wilson. Nah, he knows it all…

29. jjneedstogo says: Oct 16, 2013 8:37 AM

Romo > IRgKnee. Where are all the Redskins fans who were trash-talking before the game?

30. bengalguy says: Oct 16, 2013 8:37 AM

Well look @ it this way PFT bloggers……we’ll all be better off now that logicalvoice won’t be around anymore.

31. mljohns says: Oct 16, 2013 8:37 AM

It’s a year later…there’s film on RG3, something defenses didn’t have last year when he only threw 5 interceptions. No one should expect him tear it up like he did last year. That goes for Kaepernick, Luck and Wilson, too.

32. TheDPR says: Oct 16, 2013 8:37 AM

If he’s not willing to learn and improve, he’s going to end up just like all the other players who have been uncoachable – erratic and mediocre career without a championship (Vick) or out of the league and forgotten (that other guy whose name you forget).

Unless you buy in to your coach’s coaching you’re not going to win much.

33. djcologne says: Oct 16, 2013 8:39 AM

There is no “I” in team but there sure is one in Redskins…..

34. Grulks says: Oct 16, 2013 8:39 AM

Hahahahaha!
    What an egotistical selfish punk. “Don’t tell me how to play, I won’t listen to anyone’s advice, I know exactly what I’m doing and how I need to play”

Yeah, your 1-4 (about to be 1-6) record, and zero first half TDs absolutely sceam this fact. You’re nothing but an entitled punk who has been reading too much of his own press releases and hype.

35. jimthebuilder27 says: Oct 16, 2013 8:43 AM

RGIII is overrated and narcissistic (Operation Patience, please) but Mike Shanahan has shown how he overachieved early with Denver and has done very little since.

And Kyle Shanahan? He doesn’t even deserve to be the Offensive Coordinator. He got his position through Daddy (and Daddy’s friend, Gary Kubiak)

36. eagleswin says: Oct 16, 2013 8:43 AM

Michael Vick v2.0 . Hopefully at least you study game film. It took Michael Vick 10 years before he studied game film.

37. longhairdontcare66 says: Oct 16, 2013 8:44 AM

The comments are funny- last season he was a great guy, this season he’s a punk. RG3 is just annoyed they aren’t playing well and it’s not just him the defense is horrible this year. This is his second year in the league just chill everyone.

38. devildog911 says: Oct 16, 2013 8:46 AM

jlmd17 says:
    Oct 16, 2013 7:45 AM
    Is this guy still in the league?

He won’t be after this season. He will be working for Subway full time.

39. pepperdowns says: Oct 16, 2013 8:46 AM

From the top to the QB this franchise is swirling in drama. P.S don’t step in the pile of dust waiting on the transit this morning that’s @logicalvoice he spontaneously self-combusted

40. devildog911 says: Oct 16, 2013 8:47 AM

jlmd17 says:
    Oct 16, 2013 7:45 AM
    Is this guy still in the league?

He won’t be after this season. He’s training to be a full time Subway worker.

41. eaglefan94 says: Oct 16, 2013 8:47 AM

Maybe ‘ol Donnie Mac was right about RG3.

42. cowboyhater says: Oct 16, 2013 8:48 AM

These comments a quite comical. Unless you are a fan of this team, your comments would hold some credence, but you are just a bunch of haters. Let me remind everyone that this kid is only in his second year, and is still learning the position. I loved the athleticism on Sunday, and he was off on some passes and some passes dropped, but he is right. Everyone just needs to shut up, and he is not talking about the coaches, or organization because that’s not where this noise is coming from. This is all media driven, and what’s funny is that his comments are now just being reported from what he said at his post game presser on Sunday! I’m not sure what game you haters saw Sunday, but I saw RG3 getting more comfortable, and his mobility will only haunt defenses as the season progresses. We have less than average receivers due to the cap penalty, and our o line struggled a bit. The only threat RG3 has is Garcon, so of course he will be limited, but once the D’s start having to respect his mobility again, this will change. As always…keep hating. It will only make it that much more satisfying when you will be eating your words in the coming years as he progresses as a NFL QB.

43. xxwhodatxx says: Oct 16, 2013 8:51 AM

How people thought this guy could be drafted before Luck blows my mind.

44. blackqbwhiterb says: Oct 16, 2013 8:53 AM

Your own words sum up what happened here….Let’s not try to gin up more controversy created by the media, Washington has enough of that in both the football team and the city in general

45. theflyingtad says: Oct 16, 2013 8:54 AM

Can’t spell RGIII without 3 I’s

46. tennesseeoilers says: Oct 16, 2013 8:55 AM

Wow … I never in a million years thought I would say this, but RGIII is starting to lose me as a fan. I’ve been avidly following his career since his senior season at Baylor and he’s been my favorite non-Titan. As a Tennessee fan, I so appreciated that he, for so long, seemed like the antithesis of Vince Young: disciplined, great work ethic, personal integrity, extremely intelligent, humble, an all around great leader.

Unfortunately, I may have come to some of those conclusions too soon. This off-season he started acting like he was the star of the RGIII Show rather than the on-field leader of the Redskins. I hope I’m reading all this wrong and that he really is who I thought he was …

47. ravenmomma says: Oct 16, 2013 8:57 AM

Does RGIII think he is above coaching to make him a better QB? He better remember he is only in his second year in the NFL. There’s still much to be learned and he’s still wet behind the ears….but apparently has plenty of empty space between the ears.

48. dukeearl says: Oct 16, 2013 8:57 AM

Cowboy hater,
    In your words, he is still learning the position, but he doesn’t want to be taught by anybody but himself.
    Yes he is getting more comfortable with the run.
    Unfortunately last season the Washington fans got all hyped up on the RG3 koolaid.
    He risks further injury everytime he runs and refuses to slide or go out of bounds.
    2 operations on that knee already, is it really worth the extra few yards if he ends up on injured reserve again?
    Keep in mind that it does require being a Redskin fan to be able to see what is happening.
    It is more like the Redskin fans are putting blinders on.

49. chap6869 says: Oct 16, 2013 8:59 AM

I guess logicalvoice has locked himself back in mommy and daddies basement for a long winters sulk…..God, we’re gonna miss him. Hey logical….2-14, hahahahaha.

50. geniusry says: Oct 16, 2013 8:59 AM

I think this is our own fault. The media put this guy on everything. They ran with the “RG3″ name (I call him “Bob” because I refuse to go with the hype.) All preseason the media swarmed this guy. When he took a dump, everyone needed to know how his knee felt as he squatted down. How would that not inflate his ego. All of this created an image for a really young man who may have been more immature than we thought (which is understandable). Now he thinks he knows it all. Good. Keep running. In 3 years when he can’t walk because he’s shredded his knee so many times and can’t breath because he’s shattered every rib multiple times he may be out of the league but at least he can still eat $5 footlongs.

51. daheckguy says: Oct 16, 2013 9:00 AM

There is always next year , chalk this season as a lost, come back healhty and attempt to go at it again..

52. Patriot42 says: Oct 16, 2013 9:03 AM

He was the darling of the redskin fans for awhile.

53. richndc says: Oct 16, 2013 9:03 AM

cue Dandy Don….”turn out the lights, the partys over….” –now take some of that phat cash and go get that grille fixed!! Well, I suppose you COULD wait until after Halloween, since you got that Jack-O-Lantern thing goin all day girlfriend!!! (haters gonna hate)

54. dodohead418 says: Oct 16, 2013 9:09 AM

Okay, but if he gets injured it is not our fault!

55. christianholzman says: Oct 16, 2013 9:14 AM

This just in RG 1 &4 just fumbled again!

56. iceburgskin202 says: Oct 16, 2013 9:16 AM

I see grown men on here sounding like he stole your prom date it’s funny he’ll improve and actually none of the rookies are from last year are doing anything special right now.

57. gammynomnom says: Oct 16, 2013 9:20 AM

I agree with the kid. He already knows all there is about fumbling the ball and does not need anyones input.

58. cowboyhater says: Oct 16, 2013 9:22 AM

dukeearl says: Oct 16, 2013 8:57 AM

No blinders my friend… I actually watch the games. Everyone sees what they want see in this kid, but running doesn’t increase his propensity of getting re-injured, no more than being a sitting duck in the pocket. Ask Brady about that. He seems to being doing just fine after his injury, or Manning. He looks to being doing just fine after his injury, or Drew Brees. Yep, doing just fine after getting his shoulder torn up sitting in the pocket. RG3 will improve as a passer, but why would he take away what makes him a dynamic QB in this league. Why just sit in the pocket? Do I think he made it about himself in the off season, yep I did, but he is a kid learning to be a professional as an athlete, and person. He will learn, and improve in both areas which is why I laugh at the hater comments.

59. gibson34 says: Oct 16, 2013 9:23 AM

same thing mcnabb went through…there is definitely a rift between ir iii and shanarats……where is illogical voice iii and his 14-2 prediction with a SB win? lol.

He had the 14 n 2 right but it was the other way around 2-14 and instead of SB looks like tidy bowl….lmao.

FTTR

60. toybkshr says: Oct 16, 2013 9:23 AM

I think most people here would agree that Kyle Shanahan is a below average (being kind) OC, and daddy isn’t on top his game either.
    But, even Peyton & TB don’t publicly utter those kinds of destructive comments. Looks like the skins have a bigger problem than their current 1-4.

61. 34sweetness says: Oct 16, 2013 9:26 AM

His new name is RGIII and out.

62. thirdistheworrd says: Oct 16, 2013 9:29 AM

And Jim Irsay is complaining about negative agendas? The III-ring circus surrounding Robert Griffin (ha) is solely a creation of a media which has turned on him in full force this year, which are working their hardest to turn one of the nicest, humblest, and hardest-working guys in the league into the biggest diva in sports history. And it’s kind of disgusting.

As a part of the machine myself, I can tell you that there’s a common expression “Lindsay Lohan sells more papers than Mother Theresa”. The media’s agenda is to sell themselves to consumers by creating storylines and then writing articles that fit into those storylines. Last year Robert Griffin was new, a fresh face in the world of the sports media. As everyone should remember, last year his storyline was “Great guy Griffin”– At first he sold tons of papers for being an incredibly humble, yet personable and relatable star: a 23-year-old millionaire who married his mediocre-looking high school sweetheart.

Yeah, he’s always enjoyed some flair, as we all saw with the Superman socks, and Andrew Luck will always be more understated than Griffin will, but contrary to the storyline the media is spinning right now, more flash does not mean the next TO. Griffin is the Magic to Luck’s Bird– different personalities, but it doesn’t mean one is evil, while the other is a world’s greatest human being.

And I’m not trying to be like that youtube video and say “Leave Griffin alone! Leave him aloooone!” I’m just saying don’t create your opinion of Griffin from media articles and carefully selected quotes alone. Actually watch his interviews, listen to the kid speak, then make your judgments.

63. stigman2012 says: Oct 16, 2013 9:32 AM

When you look at Vick, Newton, RGIII…all it does is prove the pocket passer will always be the long haul key to success. These scrambler/wildcat type of qbs can put good numbers in the short term, but there is no longevity to it. Too many injuries, not sure enough skill.

64. greymares says: Oct 16, 2013 9:38 AM

who said the DIVA’S were only wide receivers ?

65. annes22 says: Oct 16, 2013 9:39 AM

He doesn’t look anything like last year. Why does he have coaches if he isn’t going to listen? Typical hype over someone, who has fallen flat on his face.
    He made a mistake with how he spoke, excuse me RG “nothing’.

66. obamareallysucks says: Oct 16, 2013 9:40 AM

cuda1234 says: Oct 16, 2013 8:23 AM

Selfish punks.

CORRECTION: he sounds more like Obama every day.

67. billco6192013 says: Oct 16, 2013 9:43 AM

The run option doesnt work with a guy who has plastic knee s.This is the nfl son.In two years your carrer will be over and your back up kirk cuz will be the starter.You dont do check downs well and its rare you call the blitzing mike.Everybody in the nfl has talent but its the realy smart q b s that check out of run plays and notice certain coverages that win the big games.YOUR NOT A POCKET PASSER.Morris is the stud on that team and they would have beat the cowgirls if they had just kept running the ball.GOOD JOB SHANNY.

68. gmsingh123 says: Oct 16, 2013 9:48 AM

Yes! Please don’t tell him how to play his game on the eve of a game with the Bears.

Why the m-f are we still talking about a QB on a team that’s 1 and 4? Can’t the Jaguars get any love?

69. billco6192013 says: Oct 16, 2013 9:51 AM

This guy is done,He beat the raiders and my grandma can beat the raiders and she doesnt have any arms.When he loses two more division games ,this guy is going to come unglued.AHHH let the finger pointing begin.The deadskins are playing for a good draft pic AND DONT EVEN KNOW IT.Ihope you go 8-8 and say RG KNEE WILL IMPROVE AND BAM THEIR GOES ANOTHER SEASON WITH AN 8-8.CUZINS IS YOUR MAN 2015.

70. youafool says: Oct 16, 2013 9:52 AM

Weird he had a turnover in the 4th quarter in a one score game? Maybe he isn’t clutch….

71. redskinfansince82 says: Oct 16, 2013 9:59 AM

He’s right. You can’t take a race horse and turn him into a mule. That’s not his calling. They trying to change his mechanics and his ball is floating deep. Last year RG’s Deep ball was fantastic. Accuracy was premium. One more thing. Kyle Shanahan needs to stop calling plays like he’s auditioning for a HC position. Play calling is underwellming to this point. We got one win against a QB who is out of the league now. RUN MORRIS or GO HOME NOW!!!!

72. Ram says: Oct 16, 2013 10:04 AM

As a Rams’ fan, THANK YOU Redskins for your THREE 1st round and ONE 2nd round picks for RG3!!!!! Just keep sucking it up this year Redskins!

73. patriots123456 says: Oct 16, 2013 10:05 AM

Winning cures everything.

Keeping your mouth shut when losing goes a long way.

This KID has a lot to learn. Meanwhile he needs to just zip it.

74. pilot2011 says: Oct 16, 2013 10:16 AM

meanwhile, Cam Newton has yet to say anything in 3 years but is still hated more than RG1-4.

Cam went back to college in the off season
    RG1-4 cheated on his fiancee.

Cam got his teammates trust, earned Captain.
    RG1-4 riffed with his head coach all off season.

75. jimgen1us says: Oct 16, 2013 10:21 AM

Your all legit haters wow this is great. At least I know well lose the bandwagon fans. He might not be talking about the coaches or just the coaches, he means Everyone… he wants to make plays.

As for you all saying he’s inaccurate and needs how to throw are the ones with blinders. “No reason he shouldn’t be hitting Garvin for 100 every week”. He’s all we have he sees the top cb every week he worked best off Playaction last year. Griffin was consistently pressured that game and there were many drops and the cowboys played well on defense… period. go to on demand.. not network and look at the replay. HTTR.
    Cowboys Special teams won that game. Dude posted this article on Wednesday lol

76. pastorbobs says: Oct 16, 2013 10:22 AM

It’s easy to grab the sound bite and blow it up out of proportion.

That being said; RG3 has a lot to learn about the NFL. I hope he realizes that. Teams are going to use anything they can to slow you down.

It was good to see him run against Dallas, but he needs to work on his mechanics and pass the ball better.

It will be a tough 2nd year for him, I hope he stays healthy and comes out in year 3 firing on all cylinders.

77. cowboyhater says: Oct 16, 2013 10:32 AM

thirdistheworrd says: Oct 16, 2013 9:29 AM

As a fan, your post was well stated. Haters please go up this page and read his post. Could not have said it better myself… Good job!

78. bigmike7914 says: Oct 16, 2013 10:34 AM

When will this guy learn that the media isn’t his friend they are only there to capitalize on the negative, after 9 weeks last year you were 3-6 and everyone was saying that you looked like the typical rookie, fastforward to this year you’re 1-4 through 5 weeks and coming off a knee injury and they’re saying you’re immature and egotistical, just talk about football and stop trying to defend yourself in the media, because its their job to galvinize and embelish in order to make a readable story….

79. jayovalentine says: Oct 16, 2013 10:35 AM

Wow! The internet tough guys are out in full force today ! Why all the hate on this kid ?? I don’t see the comparisons to Vick. Both are Black, that’s it… they have both been farther than you clowns calling him Vick 2.0

80. dawkinsalwaysaneagle says: Oct 16, 2013 10:39 AM

Hey Robert! Hey! It’s me, Donovan. I’ve still got some advice for you. Hey wait. where you going?

81. nflpoker says: Oct 16, 2013 10:40 AM

That’s right, I forgot, the Redskins were going to promote him to QB coach, since he knows all, sees all. Of course, RGIII is a legend. . .

in his own mind.

He is not as good as he thinks he is. He is buying into all that media hype.

82. jayovalentine says: Oct 16, 2013 10:40 AM

A Rams fan talking about a team sucking ??? Lol. Who did you get with all those 1st rd picks ?…

83. thirdistheworrd says: Oct 16, 2013 10:44 AM

redskinfansince82 says: Oct 16, 2013 9:59 AM

______________________
    I’ve been writing about the media’s presentation of Griffin to this point, but the rush to judge Griffin’s career is getting kind of silly. Yes, he did float a lot of passes in the Dallas game, but AP didn’t rush for 100 yards until his sixth game following his knee reconstruction. Griffin should be allowed at least that much time to get back to form, especially considering how much more he needs to adjust to on a new knee than just cutting and hitting holes. After what Griffin did last year, I think we all owe him a little patience.

I’ve been a little disappointed by Kyle’s play-calling this year too, but the fact is that he was a head-coaching candidate before he took the job in DC, and given what the offense did last year, I think he deserves a little slack as well. If Griffin starts playing like a superstar again and Kyle’s play calling is still losing games, maybe his seat gets a little hot.

but the expectations for this team and Griffin’s recovery speed were set way too high, and if we all just cool down and let them work out some more kinks, everything should be just fine.

84. mogogo1 says: Oct 16, 2013 10:46 AM

I love this kid, but this is getting out of hand. I thought Shanny was a good guy to develop him, but that team is starting to look rudderless. And without any external guidance, Griffin is starting to let his ego be his only guide.

85. thirdistheworrd says: Oct 16, 2013 10:54 AM

jimgen1us says: Oct 16, 2013 10:21 AM

__________
    I’ve been talking about media perceptions so far, but I did want to touch on this. The quote is clearly taken out of context and sounds vastly worse than it actually is. how many of you have expressed opinions on Griffin learning to become a pocket passer or taking the running out of his game? I fully agree he should be more careful than he was last year, as does he; but if you’ve complained about his playing style, you can’t complain about Griffin making a comment like this.

Yes, winning is everything, and he’s not winning, but he’s simply saying that he needs to keep working to get back to the player he was if he wants to start winning again, and that changing his playing style based on public or media perception is a recipe to get back to winning. Did AP change his style in his comeback year? No, he worked until he got back to being AP again. There is no connection here between Griffin’s comment and his coaching, no connection between Griffin’s comment and having an overinflated ego.

If you’re looking for a reason to hate Griffin, you can go aheda and just take the out of context quote at face value– it’s a free country, I can’t stop you, but it’s kind of sad how hard that many people are trying to hate this kid.

86. hehateme2 says: Oct 16, 2013 10:58 AM

Prima Donna! He’s so full of himself and based on what? A good rookie year where the league wasn’t prepared for his run game? pfft.

I’ll tell you what, Ryan Tannehill will have a longer and better overall career. Book it.

87. immafubared says: Oct 16, 2013 11:01 AM

I’ll give him this one. I’m like that, leave me alone and let me do it my way. If I F it up, I admit to it.
    Hope he has the same attitude and doesn’t turn on others when he screws it up.

Looks totally better now than in the beginning of the season.

88. maverick5266 says: Oct 16, 2013 11:05 AM

Dan Schnieder finally hits paydirt at the quarterback position……………….. Uh wait

Nope same old situation in DC.

Well look at it this way Danny boy. You sold a boat load of jerseys to fanbase lusting to taste the glory of a far gone Era.

89. dlc618 says: Oct 16, 2013 11:07 AM

He needs to get back to fundamentals and check the ego at the door. There’s a book on him now and it’s only going to get harder the more he tries to wing it.

90. immafubared says: Oct 16, 2013 11:08 AM

When your 6-0 and kicking ass, then you can spout off. What’s the skins record? So far doing it his way ain’t workin. Apparently the dig is, we lost because the coaches held him back and now he is going to do it his way. I thought he lost to Dallas last week, doing it his way?

91. gibbsandflair says: Oct 16, 2013 11:11 AM

Could be taking a swipe at dear ol dad. If I remember he was all for RGIII becoming a pocket passer

92. thirdistheworrd says: Oct 16, 2013 11:13 AM

pilot2011 says: Oct 16, 2013 10:16 AM

Cam went back to college in the off season
    RG1-4 cheated on his fiancee.

Cam got his teammates trust, earned Captain.
    RG1-4 riffed with his head coach all off season.
    ____________________
    I agree that perception of Cam is very much unfair, but your analysis is just as incorrect.

First off you need to realize it’s the same media machine that smacked Cam upside the head that is now causing you to do the same to Griffin. You don;t need to like Griffin, you just need to realize that the same thing is happening to Griffin right now that happened to Newton, and if it was unfair to Cam it’s equally unfair of you let the media distort your perception of Griffin.

1. the Hooters waitress admitted to making up the entire story , and is facing a potential lawsuit from Deadspin.
    2. Griffin graduated with a 4.0 a year early from both high school and college,
    3. The “rift” was nothing more than a joke that went viral and cancerous within a twelve hour media cycle, and was then rehashed for the next four weeks. Here is the “rift”, word-for-word:
    Reporter: “Shanahan has expressly said that you are not going to play in the preseason. How do you feel about this?”
    Griffin: “I understand Coach Shanahan has a plan, and I understand why I’m being held out, and I can’t wait to get back to football.”
    Reporter: “So you don’t want to play in the preseason?”
    Griffin: “Coach Shanahan has a plan for my recovery and for the regular season, and I don’t want to get into the specifics, but it’s a good plan, I like it and I have no issues with it.”
    Reporter: “So you really, really, really have no desire at all to play in the preseason?”
    Griffin: (chuckles)”C’mon man, do we really need to keep pressing this? Obviously, I would love to play in the preseason, but it’s really not an option– I wish it was, but I totally understand.”

I think it’s unfair to both players, but isn’t it therefore unfair for you to allow the media to do to Griffin what they did to your quarterback

93. eightysixisback says: Oct 16, 2013 11:13 AM

He is not talking about not listening to the coaches, he is talking about the media. The guy came back from a major injury that most people don’t even make it back from as fast as he did and the media and anyone who had decided long ago that they didn’t like him are criticizing everything he does because he isn’t 100% yet. With the exception of AP no one would be 100% yet in the same situation. A lot of people keep talking about how he will never be the same and he is washed up, maybe, maybe not. it is way to early to say that. It is his second year and he is not 100% yet, that does not mean he won’t be eventually. It is funny how sportwriters constantly jump the gun when it comes to football. After the second week they are convinced they know the lay of the land for the season and guess what? They are almost always wrong but they quickly move on to something else and act like they know everything. They don’t, you don’t and i don’t. No one does. There are so many things that can happen that it is impossible to KNOW what will happen over the course of the season. Relax, if at the end of the season he isn’t back to his form from last year okay but until then all we can do is see what happens. Personally i think that he isn’t able to run the way he did in the past and that not having that to keep the defense off balance with is hurting his game a little right now. That could very well change by the end of the year. If it doesn’t he probably won’t be as good as he once was but again talk to me week 17 and we will see.

94. overratedsteelerhater says: Oct 16, 2013 11:29 AM

wheres logicalvoice when you need him,the so called greatest team is crumbling into abyss.how great is that….

95. ratsfoiledagain says: Oct 16, 2013 11:29 AM

Another article about RG fumble? In 21 career games he has 18 fumbles and 10 picks. I’d say work on holding the ball more than not.

96. dobber707 says: Oct 16, 2013 11:29 AM

RGIII better then Luck……RIGHT. RGIII career 5 years Luck 10 YEARS.
    RGIII no super bowls Luck 1-3 super bowls. RGIII=OVERRATED

97. thestrategyexpert says: Oct 16, 2013 11:31 AM

Fine I’ll keep quiet. But then who will be there to tell him what he has done wrong? A QB is only as good as he is able to learn from his mistakes. Not a good way to shore up your development by cutting out all of the criticism that can probe for the right questions of how to get better. Oh well we can’t all be superstars.

98. sikologik says: Oct 16, 2013 11:37 AM

I’d say this year’s a wash for the Redskins, but at 1-4, and in the weakest division in football, anything can still happen. They turned it on in the second half last year and won out to make the playoffs, so even though I don’t think that’s going to happen again this year, who knows?

That said, what’s being lost in all the hype and stupidity of the posting here at pft, and all the talk about RG3 and whether or not he’ll make it in this league, is the immediate future of this franchies. Consider this:

1. Next year, a full $18M of cap space is restored to the team. I got to thinking about that, and it occurred to me, that this is enough money, year-on-year, to bring in an elite receiver and an elite corner or safety while also improving the offensive line at least in terms of depth. Even without a #1 pick this year, this can translate into improved special teams play as well.

2. The following year, not only is the $18M cap space still available year-on-year, but they’ll once again have a #1 draft pick to use on whatever position is still lacking (and something will still be lacking).

3. From there, things are pretty normal for the Redskins going forward. If at this time, RG3 is still in the league (and that’s an IF not a WHEN since it’s not a given), he’ll have 3 years of experience, a stronger receiving corps and be complemented by a better defense. Not a bad place to be.

Realistically, I expect somewhere between 6-10 and 8-8 for the season and no playoffs. The Rams will end up with a draft pick in the 13 to 19 range, and ultimately, the price paid for RG3 looks pretty fair.

In the meantime, all the haters out there who are laughing at how bad the Redskins look this year should be secretly thanking John Mara for the 18M cap penalties. Without those, the Redskins are a much more dynamic team- in all 3 phases.

99. damcmp says: Oct 16, 2013 11:40 AM

did I miss something…did I just wake up and this perennial all-pro is taking issue with being coached..?? in a year he will be selling insurance in Waco and endorsing knee braces….

100. dstep24 says: Oct 16, 2013 11:53 AM

Oh how things have changed in one year’s time. Nobody even thinks or cares about this guy now, outside of DC. He’s quickly becoming just another guy.

101. s0merand0mguy says: Oct 16, 2013 11:59 AM

t8ertot says: Oct 16, 2013 7:57 AM

—————————————–

Because the AFC is the NFC’s remedial brother AND more fans like/watch/support more NFC teams. Hence the media attention!

102. pats1stfan1 says: Oct 16, 2013 12:15 PM

logicalvoice where are you???

103. aprilwalker2013 says: Oct 16, 2013 12:34 PM

Tried to like some of comments but hit report them by mistake so I didn’t want to report any comments.
    Everyone needs to calm down a tad on this guy. He’s coming off a severe injury and he wants to be like he was last year. He’s not quite there yet. But let’s give him a little bit before we call him a failure. I’m a Redskins fan, always will be and I’m disappointed as much as anybody but to blame him, the coaches, etc is not right. Our coaches are same ones we had last year when everybody was loving our Redskins! Let the boy heal up and coaches coach. We will be ok, maybe not this year but when he heals he will be back to more like himself!! HTTR

104. devildog911 says: Oct 16, 2013 12:38 PM

I can’t believe these Deadskins fans making all these excuses how their team is going undefeated, 15-1, 15-2, division champs, etc. During the offseason/preseason…and how RGTurd will break records yada yada…lol…
    What a joke of a QB. I never hated the Redskins til this no good QB got drafted last year. Get rid of this fake QB and let a legit QB Cousins start.

105. dickwittman says: Oct 16, 2013 12:39 PM

RG me – What a tool. Very inaccurate this year. His mechanics are awful. Also what the heck was he doing in the commercial with Roger Staubach? A real veteran and a real QB! RG is neither.

106. thirdistheworrd says: Oct 16, 2013 12:43 PM

pats1stfan1 says: Oct 16, 2013 12:15 PM

logicalvoice where are you???
    __________
    Anybody notice the curious coincidence that logic voice always posts within 2 or 3 minutes of the article appearing? He sparks outrage, debate, and unpleasantness on both sides, increasing traffic to these articles: traffic, which of course, translates directly into dollars for the writers.
    I’m not saying, I’m just saying.

With a (very much out-of-context) quote that makes Griffin look this bad, there’s no need for logic guy to stir the pot, they’re already all set for a 250 comment article, minimum. Hence, no logic guy.
    I’m not saying, I’m just saying.

107. blu4l1fe says: Oct 16, 2013 12:47 PM

From someone who isn’t a fan of griffin, I don’t necessarily see anything wrong with his comment. I think he just said how he honestly felt at the moment when the question was posed. I think a lot of players with his same size ego would have done exactly the same.

At the same time, I believe that he’s gained much “hatred”, especially from “haters” in this site, including myself, because of how he handled himself last year, during the off season, and how he’s handling himself now.

He has haters because of who he is, how he’s projected himself and how he’s failed to produce, so far, excluding last season’s miracle run.

108. duece5 says: Oct 16, 2013 12:59 PM

Luck is ahead of the class of QBs…..Russel Wilson over Luck says a poster…..get real.

The reality, most defenses can defend the run much better as defenses can catch up, especially to 2nd year players.

No one saw these guys before last year, so what is happening?

They are getting keyed on from the running perspective, and they aren’t as accurate as Luck.

Luck will go down as one of the best to play the game…..his game is genuinely excellent, and he turned a 2-14 debacle into a playoff team.

So yep, it’s Luck and the rest will follow from the 2011 class.

109. hawkforlife says: Oct 16, 2013 1:18 PM

The simple fact is he comes off as having no humility. That’s why we all pick on him to some extent.

The press conferences we’ve been exposed to nationally may not be what you see in DC but for a young QB he certainly seems to be full of himself.

110. beachsidejames says: Oct 16, 2013 1:38 PM

Really RG? Must suck to be a fan of a team that is being built around a 2nd year man with a bum knee that knows it all. Then throw in a 1 and 4 record and think to yourself how many years am I going to have to listen to this idiot. When you get in this league you still have alot to prove.

111. khenien says: Oct 16, 2013 1:41 PM

“These idiots are starting to make Donovan McNabb look smart. I didn’t know that was possible.”

How come when McNabb criticized RG3 (he is paid to give his opinion) and offered some advice everybody ripped him relentlessly? Now everyone is ripping RG3 without batting an eyelash.

112. skinsfan91 says: Oct 16, 2013 1:56 PM

Another comment taken out of context, another comments festival from the boo birds.

113. blu4l1fe says: Oct 16, 2013 2:57 PM

thirdistheworrd says:
    Oct 16, 2013 9:29 AM

——————————————-

I totally agree with your comment and you do make a very good point. But at the same time, you fail to mention his hand, albeit maybe a small one at that, in all of this.

No matter what, he, as the focal point of the whole media frenzy, has played and is playing a part in it. Can you imagine, as difficult it may have been, if he’s stayed humble and just not play into what the media wanted? OMG, what a concept!

I know that it’s highly unlikely especially with today’s athlete but do you remember the hype and even the hate that LeBron James got when he was and when he eventually left Cleveland? There’s no denying, and yes, they are from two different sports, that they commanded and still do command the same media attention? And where are those haters now that LeBron has delivered on his Championship promises? Maybe not as vocal and evident.

I am not saying griffin has said he’ll take the skins to the promised land or made any kind of proclamations similar to that, but he, undoubtedly, has presented himself in a way that has garnered himself some haters. But if you can’t see that, you’re either a die hard griffin or skin fan or you’re oblivious to the improper way he’s handled himself.

114. blu4l1fe says: Oct 16, 2013 3:17 PM

I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY do hope that the skin fans here are right and that griffin does improve and learn, specifically his attitude.

It’s REALLY funny. All the skin fans cannot defend him enough but almost all the non-skin fan and just regular football fans here agree, he’s turning into a prima donna.

Be careful, he’s taking the same path as a lot of those who were “one and done’s” or “never was.”

115. thirdistheworrd says: Oct 16, 2013 4:21 PM

blu4l1fe says: Oct 16, 2013 12:47 PM

___________
    I don’t think this is an invalid point. Some people are not going to like Griffin, but as long as they realize it’s their personal preference, and not a fundamental problem with the kid himself, that’s totally OK. I hate canned tuna; Some people didn’t like Magic, or Dr. J, or Charles Barkley (which blows my mind). Some people don’t like Jared Allen, or Tom Brady, but they need to understand that that’s a personal dislike, not a character flaw. Disliking Robert Griffin s not the same as disliking TO, Kellen Winslow Jr., Albert Haynesworth, Gregg Williams, Allen Iverson, A-Rod, Barry Bonds, Mike Tyson, Stephen Marbury, or Latrell Sprewell.

The part I really don’t understand is “he’s failed to produce, so far, excluding last season’s miracle run.” So the part before his knee reconstruction? That’s his whole career. That’s kind of like saying Bo Jackson was a terrible athlete, except for the part before the injury. Could you also clue me in on “how he handled himself last year” to garner hatred?

116. blu4l1fe says: Oct 16, 2013 4:41 PM

We won’t go into retorting back and forth, and I’ll admit, I may have included some of my personal bias in my comment especially in the whole him “garnering hatred” comment. But to put it simply, which is what I should have done, and you still have not mentioned anything about is his role in this whole media attention.

I get it, he attracts attention from everyone. And with that, his every move, every statement will be put in a microscope. My point is, he’s not necessarily innocent in this whole thing. From the whole “I’m good but not 100%” to the pre-season insistence on playing, come on now, you have to admit it yourself, he’s made it easy for these folks to target him coz he’s gave them exactly what they are looking for.

I am not going to mention anyone but there are still athletes today that manage to take the high road when put in the spotlight. It is obviously not in his character and that’s fine, hey, most athletes are like that.

117. heman1132 says: Oct 16, 2013 5:42 PM

Robert Griffin the third still has the “potential” to be great. But as a Redskins fan I would like to see him humble himself and start just playing the game. I thought there was too much hype and too man y things he’s
    thinking about. The skins will beat the bears this week. And they will get back on track. Its a long season and 8-8 could
    win the division.go skins :)