Revis AP

The Tampa Bay coaching staff has experienced endless complaints during the team’s 0-5 start.  On the defensive side of the ball, the biggest criticisms have come from the use of cornerback Darrelle Revis, who in the opinion of some is being required to play too much zone and not enough man-to-man.

Defensive coordinator Bill Sheridan has decided to give those who think there’s a problem a chance to participate in the solution.

“What I want to invite them to do is to join us about — I get here about 5:20 [a.m.] every single morning,” Sheridan said Thursday, via JoeBucsFan.com.  “And they’re more than welcome to hang around until about 11 [p.m.] for the first four nights of the week, and they can help us put the whole game plan together.

“We got all the free Cokes you want in the building.  And we’ll be happy to take their suggestions on how we could better use Darrelle. Trust me when I tell you we painstakingly game plan how to best use all our personnel.  Not just Darrelle.  But I appreciate the chirping.”

Sheridan was smiling throughout his answer, but his point is as old as the coaching profession itself:  If you don’t like what I’m doing, feel free to try to do it better.

The reality is that, given the current state of the team, it would be hard for anyone to do much worse.

Permalink 45 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
45 Responses to “Bucs’ defensive coordinator invites “chirping” fans to join game-planning effort”
  1. somethingsmellsrotten says: Oct 17, 2013 4:36 PM

Coke? Yuck. Ain’t doing it unless you got Pepsi.

2. bodhisattva says: Oct 17, 2013 4:38 PM

Sarcasm is for winners my man.

3. boobschannel says: Oct 17, 2013 4:40 PM

if i was an unemployed bucs fan, which i am neither, and i lived close to the facility, which i don’t, i would take him up on the offer, if anything just because it would be cool to see the process of how it all goes during the course of the work week.

4. evilglazers666 says: Oct 17, 2013 4:40 PM

If he did his job efficiently, then he wouldn’t have to work 5:30am-11:00pm. Anyway sounds pretty accurate work hours for the Glazer slave drivers.

5. therealbillybuffalo says: Oct 17, 2013 4:41 PM

All it takes is one fan to make him a liar.

Someone needs to show up at that building Monday morning.

6. helix828 says: Oct 17, 2013 4:42 PM

You just know someone’s going to show up now.

7. explosionsauce says: Oct 17, 2013 4:42 PM

Not a bucs fan but this staff needs to go

8. dalcow4 says: Oct 17, 2013 4:42 PM

It’s always a bad sign when coaches or GMS start showing their worry and frustration by lashing out at fans.

Everything right now is pointing to Schiano and this coaching staff to be gone very soon. And Tampa fans will likely say “good riddance”.

9. revischrist16 says: Oct 17, 2013 4:42 PM

Is he for real? I’m not even a Bucs fan but I’d love to just sit in on those meetings and observe how they do things, take some notes on how to improve my coaching. I’ll even use up some of my vaca days.

10. clavette says: Oct 17, 2013 4:43 PM

sheridan was horrible with the giants in his 1 year as d coord. why would anyone expect him to be any better in tampa? and he has better players in tampa

11. jjb0811 says: Oct 17, 2013 4:43 PM

what % of that quarter million dollar salary is he going to pay me? I’ll do the hours.

12. nobby821 says: Oct 17, 2013 4:44 PM

Heres a chirp.

Dont Play Revis 7 yards off in the redzone with no safety help.

2 games in a row.

13. briandorry55 says: Oct 17, 2013 4:44 PM

Bucs fans aren’t doubting that the incompetent coaching staff spends countless hours game planning…we are pointing out that you’re clearly doing it wrong! Thus flushing all of those hours down the toilet! What a fool.

Bucs fans are now also getting quite sick and tired of these coaches insulting our intelligence and talking to us like infants who have never watched football before.

14. smartanis says: Oct 17, 2013 4:47 PM

I am highly tempted to put my remaining frequent flyer miles to use and show up outside the Bucs’ facility at 5:00 AM on a Monday morning, just to see how far I get.

15. usmutts says: Oct 17, 2013 4:48 PM

It could be that Revis is playing more zone and less man because he simply can’t plan man like he used to, because of his bad knee, something the Bucs wouldn’t want opponents to know, nor admit that they overpaid a less than fully fit Revis.

16. crabsjarrard says: Oct 17, 2013 4:50 PM

Dear Coach,

I can’t make it to Tampa this week but if you are taking suggestions, may I suggest letting Revis attempt press-man coverage sometime. If you’re feeling real frisky, maybe let him play out on an “island” and use the free man we gained from not needing safety help over the top as a blitzer? It may help us get to the opposing QB faster since no one on our front 4 other than McCoy can generate pressure.

17. bert1913 says: Oct 17, 2013 4:51 PM

dont worry buc’s fans these clowns will be fired at the end of the season

18. filthymcnasty1 says: Oct 17, 2013 4:52 PM

The Bucs do game planning?

19. draftrobot says: Oct 17, 2013 4:55 PM

Send the college coaches back to college.

20. urmomsmyho says: Oct 17, 2013 4:57 PM

Bucs+ Revis = Circus
    Jets – Revis = Team

Do the math.

21. doctorrustbelt says: Oct 17, 2013 4:58 PM

68 wins – 67 losses at Rutgers

(28 wins – 48 losses in conference play)

22. ravensfan8780 says: Oct 17, 2013 5:14 PM

I wonder how NFL sponsor Pepsi feels about Bucs having free Coke in their facility

23. ravensfan8780 says: Oct 17, 2013 5:15 PM

You have to sign a wavier though before you enter the beginning in case you get MRSA

24. teal379 says: Oct 17, 2013 5:15 PM

All the free Coke you can drink?

Coke is for closers. Something you’re defense can’t do.

25. earpaniac says: Oct 17, 2013 5:23 PM

This whole coaching staff just screams “college”.

26. sbmcintosh36 says: Oct 17, 2013 5:29 PM

I’m sorry but 16 hours a day for game planning is absurd and i hear it constantly from football coaches, I get it’s not easy and you gotta watch a ton of tape and practice etc but there’s this thing called tendencies and they’re pretty easy to pickup and everyone has them.
    I’m just guessing but most coaches wouldn’t last very long in a real world pressure packed job because they ain’t putting up with 16 hour days.. every day

27. onebucplace says: Oct 17, 2013 5:30 PM

Yeah, because Buccaneers fans which saw in person every week the evolution of the Cover 2 to the Tampa 2 are completely unable to figure out when they see a zone defense.

This is the most clueless set of idiots ever to be established in a single coaching staff.

Hey stupid, we know when someone is playing man-to-man and when someone is playing a zone, it’s quite easy to figure out. Maybe the issue is the clueless coaching staff actually believes they are playing man to man because they’re too stupid to know what a zone is.

I can’t wait until all these morons are fired.

28. thestrategyexpert says: Oct 17, 2013 5:34 PM

Well the Bucs’ problems are far greater than gameplanning. But if they are serious about wanting to improve then I’ll come down there. Pay for my flight and consulting fees and I’ll run your whole dang team for you. I can’t help you win this year at this point with this ridiculous roster, but there’s always next year and every year after that if you want a real football strategist to help you out. Don’t say I didn’t offer and I don’t want to hear any complaints if you don’t get the results you are looking for by continuing to ignore my advice and philosophies.

29. onebucplace says: Oct 17, 2013 5:37 PM

I remember that time when the Bucs fans were complaining about how awful the defense was under Tony Dungy and Monte Kiffin and they too told the fans to go suck it.

This coaching staff has to go. I hated Gruden for coming in and blowing up that Super Bowl team to PROVE to everyone that he could win without Tony Dungy’s defense – but he’s a saint compared to these morons. He at least did win a SB (with Tony Dungy’s team) and was fired after back to back 9-7 seasons. Does anyone think that Schiano and this crew can win 9 games over 2 seasons? That would mean they’d have to win 2 more this year. It’s seriously doubtful.

30. rmfp1978 says: Oct 17, 2013 5:50 PM

Cracks me up how he had to say how long he works idk his salary but it would prob take me close to a decade to make what he makes in one year. Lash out and belittle the fans that pay your salary. Coach or GM should be fired on that statement alone regardless how they’re performing. I’m a stl rams fan and had to hear that stuff from Billy Devany. While they haven’t lived up to my expectations I’m still willing to give Fisher more time cause he doesn’t make comments like that

31. finfan87 says: Oct 17, 2013 5:52 PM

There are literally dozens of people working for the organization making millions of dollars and they have 0 wins to show for it. If they would be willing to pay me a crazy salary like that just for showing up early in the morning, I’m sure I could produce the same amount of wins.

32. tformation says: Oct 17, 2013 6:04 PM

What’s the over/under on which week they fire Schiano?

33. toolkien says: Oct 17, 2013 6:05 PM

I don’t have to be a plumber (or work their ours) to know the septic system is backing up.

And you can work 25 hours 8 days a week, it doesn’t mean you’re just not spending a lot of extra time not knowing what you are doing.

34. mdrew75 says: Oct 17, 2013 6:33 PM

I frequently read posts on this site, and many times I’ve wanted to comment… But was too lazy to register. However, when I read this article, I could no longer hold out. I’ll admit that I didn’t even know Bill Sheridan was in the NFL anymore. As a long time Giants fan, I can completely empathize with what you Bucs fans must be going through with this guy! When I saw that this bumbling idiot of a coach was challenging “chirping” fans to do a better job, I had to laugh! Giants fans chased this guy out of town, and in my 30 years of Giants football I have never seen a more incompetent coach… And this is coming from a guy who sat through the Ray Handley years! He should consider himself lucky to have a high school job… Say nothing of an NFL job! He took a unit that won a Super Bowl under Spags and turned it into a laughing stock in one year. Now he’s calling out fans? Dude… Bucs fans buy tickets, jerseys, etc., they can say what they want. And apparently, they’re saying the same thing Giants fans said a few years ago: Fire Bill Sheridan!

35. summitgingo says: Oct 17, 2013 7:04 PM

Once you start attacking the fans, it’s lights out. Next to complain..Revis. He will ultimately not accept TB trying to renegotiate his deal so he will be back with Sexy Rexy on the Jets next year making $11 mil. Write it down

36. 69finfan says: Oct 17, 2013 7:34 PM

All the free cokes you want and all the MRSA you can handle.

37. peed1 says: Oct 17, 2013 7:54 PM

It’s all about quality time. If you study for 10 hour and get a F what good is it. These coaches suck, when you keep loosing whatever you are doing doesn’t work. I have watched football for fifty years and this team is clearly lacking something.

38. thereyougo2 says: Oct 17, 2013 8:09 PM

Hey Bill you go over big in Philly.

39. thehuddleisondeathrow says: Oct 17, 2013 8:36 PM

Fire Schiano!! Bring in Lovie Smith, Pat Shurmur or Mike Sherman….

40. keifer1751 says: Oct 17, 2013 8:41 PM

Hey Bill, I have a game plan for you. Walk into Joel Glazer’s office, grab him by the throat and have him put Greg Schiano in a dumpster. Permanently You won’t win with that clown as head coach. Period. There is your game plan. You can keep the Cokes.

41. avanderlay says: Oct 17, 2013 9:40 PM

Ok, Coach – here’s my game plan – STOP THE AWFUL LINE STUNTS and put Revis on their best player. There, now you can sleep in tomorrow.

42. ijahru says: Oct 18, 2013 8:57 AM

The Bucs aren’t that far from being a decent team. An iffy call against the J E T S gave them their first loss and the Freeman drama I think took away from their focus causing some of the dumb penaties they get. Glennon has a good arm and once he gains some experience he could be a pretty good QB. It isn’t like teams are blowing them out. They are competitive for the most part.

43. nyjetsfan08 says: Oct 18, 2013 12:36 PM

Dear Coach,

————–

Bravo! I couldn’t have said it better myself.

44. nyjetsfan08 says: Oct 18, 2013 12:41 PM

———

Another great comment. This team just doesn’t know how to utilize their players very well. What did you bring in Revis for $16 M/yr if you’re gonna have him play 8 yds behind Larry in zone?

45. nyjetsfan08 says: Oct 18, 2013 12:42 PM

Heres a chirp.

Dont Play Revis 7 yards off in the redzone with no safety help.

2 games in a row.

——–

I couldn’t agree more. I would add move him to press coverage and the defense backfield play combo.