RG3 believes he has to run to be as effective as he can be

Robert Griffin III, Bruce Carter AP

Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III said it was about getting back to being himself, not a shot at his coaches, when he said his focus was on “not letting anybody else tell me how to play this game.”

That’s why he was running more against the Cowboys Sunday night, trying to open some things up for a Redskins offense which wasn’t built for a pure drop-back passer to begin with.

I felt that’s what I have to do,” Griffin said, via Mike Jones of the Washington Post. “That’s what I’ve always had to do. You’ve got to use every ability that you have. Broke the pocket a couple of times, broke the pocket and hit some guys downfield as the defense was closing in on me, and then there were times when you just take off and go, and a healthy mix of that and a healthy mix of just executing the plays that are called.”

The part about not listening to anyone came up during his postgame interview on the team’s radio network, but he said Wednesday it wasn’t intended as a dig at coach Mike Shanahan, offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan, or anyone else.

“It just means, you can’t lose faith in who you are,” Griffin said. “You can’t lose confidence in what you’ve done to get you to the level where you’re at. Kyle will say on a number of plays, ‘You never forget what got you to where you are,’ and that’s all I’m saying. It wasn’t a shot at anything else, or at the coaches or anybody. It was just saying, ‘I’ve got to be the guy that I know that I am.’ ”

Griffin said he’s heard all the concerns about his safety, but trying for extra yardage rather than tip-toeing out of bounds was part of what made him a weapon last year, and part of what he wants to get back to.

“The league does evolve, but at the same time, I have to be that guy. There’s no pressure. None whatsoever,” he said. “You’ve just got to go out and play football, and that’s what I was talking about after the game: just getting back to being me. I know how to play the game. Listen to your coaches, go through that whole thing, and just go out there and play and have fun. And that’s what it’s about.

“It’s not that there’s pressure to be a certain guy, have a certain amount of numbers. I couldn’t care less about the numbers as long as we win. If we win games, all is good.”

At the moment, the Redskins aren’t doing that, so all is not good. That leads to putting his performances under the microscope, and wondering when he’s going to once again look like the quarterback who was so effective a year ago.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
16 Responses to “RG3 believes he has to run to be as effective as he can be”
  1. abninf says: Oct 17, 2013 9:38 AM

Running QB’s like Griffin are good for ESPN highlight clips. Pocket passers win championships. Irrefutable fact if you look at history.

2. logicailvoicesays says: Oct 17, 2013 9:46 AM

What a fine young man. RG3 is not just the greatest player in NFL history, but he’s an even better man. When he finishes his Hall of Fame, perennial MVP and Super Bowl MVP career, he will become the greatest world leader of the past 100 years. HTTR.

3. logicalvoicesays says: Oct 17, 2013 9:51 AM

The blame is squarely on Roger Goodell and the league for this unjust record. We should be 5-0. That is all. #TheNFLhasavandettavsDanSnyder

4. jcpskins says: Oct 17, 2013 9:52 AM

There been QB’s that do both.. Steve Young, John Elway ring a bell? RG3 does both and will improve.. Remember how long it took Eli to be any good? four years?

5. logicalvoicesays says: Oct 17, 2013 9:53 AM

Top 5 QBs in Professional Football – Griffin III, Rodgers, Stafford, Cutler and Dalton. In that order.

6. orivar says: Oct 17, 2013 9:53 AM

Maybe he should, I don’t know, talk to McNabb. I mean it’s not like somebody who has been in the same situation, who came off the heels of Cunningham, would know what RGIII is going through and could help him on that.

‘Not letting anybody else tell me how to play this game’, is going to end up with the result of him not playing the game, literally. Letting others turn you into something you’re not isn’t good but running yourself into the ground trying to be superman is a bad idea too. He’s doing the latter with Shanahan giving him 110% confidence on it. Knee surgically repaired twice and his just getting in his second season.

Yeah.

7. eagleswin says: Oct 17, 2013 10:04 AM

Michael Vick agrees with him. Michael Vick wouldn’t even be in this league if he couldn’t run.

8. obmig says: Oct 17, 2013 10:06 AM

I’m a Skins fan and I think being accurate in the pocket instead would be a much better goal, with much better end results.

9. goodellisruiningtheleague says: Oct 17, 2013 10:07 AM

In 6 games he has 5 TD’s, 6 INTs and 2 lost fumbles.

I’d say he should practice his passing rather than worrying about just running the ball.

10. goodellisruiningtheleague says: Oct 17, 2013 10:07 AM

I’m sorry… 5 games

11. nick255 says: Oct 17, 2013 10:14 AM

Vick 2.0

In 10 years from now when people talk about the great QB class of 2012, they will speak of Andrew Luck, Russell Wilson, and Nick Foles. RG3 will be long out of the league, hanging out with Vince Young.

12. earpaniac says: Oct 17, 2013 10:27 AM

It is correct about not a pure pocket passer to have success in Shannahan’s offense. But, I don’t think you have to be a true running QB either. Look at the 2 guys who put up the best numbers in it, Elway and Cutler. Neither is/was a true pocket passer, but not a runner either. You just have to be mobile.

13. granadafan says: Oct 17, 2013 12:06 PM

Thumbs up if you’d like to see logicalvoices run out of the pocket and get creamed by a linebacker.

14. nceaglesfan says: Oct 17, 2013 2:42 PM

Let ME, Be Me. Remember which running running QB made that statement. He also fizzled out after he blew an ACL.

15. cuda1234 says: Oct 17, 2013 4:56 PM

Griffin is becoming more Tebow-like every day. I, I, I, I, I. I need to run. I need to call the plays. I need to pick the offense. What’s best for me is what’s best for everyone.

16. pats1stfan1 says: Oct 19, 2013 1:42 AM

@logicalvoicesays:

I had to come here and find you since you stopped trolling the Patriots sites…

Thank you very much for the laughs you give me and the fellow readers on this post…

Don’t forget November’s around the corner so make sure you tell mommy to pay the gas/oil bill so you won’t get cold in her basement…

IFLI