Wade Phillips will coach Sunday after losing his father

Wade Phillips AP

The state of Texas and the football world lost an icon last night, when Bum Phillips died at 90.

But Texans defensive coordinator Wade Phillips lost his father, and will try to honor him this weekend the best way he knows how.

According to John McClain of the Houston Chronicle, Wade Phillips will travel with the Texans to Kansas City today, and coach Sunday’s game, while plans are being made back home.

He was able to get to his father’s side after practice yesterday, making the 160-mile drive to Goliad, Tex., to be with his family.

“I was blessed to have him as a father and coach,” Wade Phillips said. “I got to coach with him for 11 years. He taught me everything I know about coaching. He taught me right and wrong. He taught me to enjoy life.”

“I’m so glad I got to see him. Dad was such a humble man. I think he’d want to be remembered as someone who treated people well. . . .

“He was a legend, and the legend will live on.”

And Sunday in Kansas City, it will live on in the way most people came to know him.

Permalink 21 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Houston Texans, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
21 Responses to “Wade Phillips will coach Sunday after losing his father”
  1. skoobyfl says: Oct 19, 2013 8:54 AM

Us Bills fans always loved you Wade, you’re Dad couldn’t of had a better son. All the best to your family in these difficult times.

JP – Naples FL

2. gorilladunk says: Oct 19, 2013 9:11 AM

The most important thing to remember about both Bum and Wade is this: They are both good, decent men. Can any of us aspire to a higher tribute? Condolences to Wade and the Phillips family. Down here in Texas, Bum is a legendary character. RIP

3. elmerbrownelmerbrown says: Oct 19, 2013 10:05 AM

Old school family that has weaved the fabric of the NFL they take me back to a time that was great !

4. drone501 says: Oct 19, 2013 10:47 AM

as a steeler fan, he was well loved by all of us when he was coaching those great houston teams. RIP coach.

5. ledhed1212 says: Oct 19, 2013 10:50 AM

Takes a real “different” kind of person to vote a “Thumbs Down” on the above post…..

Rest In Peace – Mr. O.A. “Bum” Phillips…..

You will be missed…..!

6. rodgers419 says: Oct 19, 2013 10:52 AM

90 is pretty good.

7. titans12thman says: Oct 19, 2013 10:53 AM

Rest in peace Bum. Wade, your father will forever be apart of our franchises history and was a great man on and off the field. You dont know me but I wish you and your family the best in these difficult times….St. Peter was probably at the pearly gates waiting for your dad to “knock that sumbitch in”….Love ya blue!!

8. cliverush says: Oct 19, 2013 11:20 AM

“He can take hizums and beat yourzums and take yourzums and beat hizzum” Bum Phillips talking about “The Bear.” A classic from Texas.

9. tinbender2000 says: Oct 19, 2013 11:31 AM

Texans better call at least one Bumarooski play Sunday.

10. packerbackernj says: Oct 19, 2013 11:36 AM

I’m not old enough to have seen Bum walk the sidelines, and I don’t personally know either men. But I do know what it’s like to lose your father so best of luck and wishes to Wade and the Phillips family and anyone else whose lost their father. God bless.

11. footballrulz says: Oct 19, 2013 11:49 AM

Bu never wore his signature cowboy hat in a dome. ….”Always take your hat off indoors” was his answer as to why. I think at the beginning of the games this weekend all fans should remove their caps, hats, tobaggans, etc. for 60 seconds as a tribute.

Man, I miss those days–real football, real men.

12. j0esixpack says: Oct 19, 2013 12:22 PM

Seems like a fitting tribute to Bum Philips to have his son coach on Sunday.

13. orivar says: Oct 19, 2013 1:42 PM

Wasn’t alive to see him in action but he sure has some interesting quotes.

(when asked about Oilers RB Earl Campbell’s inability to finish a one-mile run in training camp) “When it’s first and a mile, I won’t give it to him.”

Seems like a real man.

14. patsbrat says: Oct 19, 2013 2:01 PM

Sympathies to Wade and the Phillips family. Bum was a very classy and iconic individual whose memory will be cherished by generations of football fans to come.

Careful KC, Wade may pull another Farve-like inspirational performance with the spirit of his father hovering closely to this game.

15. thestrategyexpert says: Oct 19, 2013 2:49 PM

When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

16. irishgary says: Oct 19, 2013 4:27 PM

RIP Bum, An NFL Character and a heck of a coach

17. denverwally says: Oct 19, 2013 4:34 PM

Just not enough good ol’ characters like Bum in the game anymore… a good football coach, and an even better man.

18. puntonfirstdown says: Oct 19, 2013 6:14 PM

I like to read about quality people in the NFL.

Condolences and best wishes.

19. steelgrave says: Oct 19, 2013 6:21 PM

Bum, thanks for all the memories. You were one of a kind. Love Ya Blue!

20. eglsfan says: Oct 19, 2013 7:09 PM

RIP Bum…….as a kid I remember your Oiler teams…..Dante& Earl

21. harrypetergrant says: Oct 19, 2013 7:41 PM

Bum treated his players like men, and they respected him like a dad, cant find that today in the NFL