Steve Smith, Janoris Jenkins AP

Wide receiver Steve Smith once gained notoriety for punching Panthers cornerback Ken Lucas when the two men were teammates, but he’s now set his sights on a cornerback from an opposing team.

Jonathan Jones of the Charlotte Observer reports that Smith was furious at Rams cornerback Janoris Jenkins after the Panthers’ 30-15 victory on Sunday. Per Jones, Smith accused Jenkins of talking trash about Smith’s family during the game and Smith said that he would punch Jenkins in the mouth if they should ever cross paths on the streets.

Smith’s words come after a day filled with hard feelings between the two teams. Rams defensive end Chris Long was ejected for throwing a punch during one skirmish involving Smith and the veteran receiver went at with Jenkins all day. As always, Smith gave as good as he got and seemed to get in the heads of several Rams over the course of the proceedings.

The Rams wound up taking the brunt of the personal fouls when the two sides would square off. That did them no favors on the scoreboard, which wasn’t enough for Smith to let the animosities end at the final whistle.

Permalink 45 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Home, Rumor Mill, St. Louis Rams
45 Responses to “Steve Smith: If I see Janoris Jenkins in the street, I’ll punch him in the mouth”
  1. vexey says: Oct 20, 2013 5:26 PM

This just in, Steve Smith is angry

In related news water is also wet

(I’m a huge Panthers homer but I mean really he’s always been like this.. ALWAYS)

2. jakec4 says: Oct 20, 2013 5:26 PM

Rams-Panthers……Sounds like a hot new rivalry to me. Maybe Smith will get his chance when these two meet in the playoffs.

3. buhbay1c says: Oct 20, 2013 5:29 PM

Steve needs a bust in Canton inscribed with: “A small, angry man from Compton with a severe Napoleonic complex.”

4. packh8er says: Oct 20, 2013 5:29 PM

With most other players I would say that’s just talk, but if dude punched his OWN teammate you know he’ll punch that guy.
    Never really liked Steve Smith, mostly because he always goes off against my Vikings.

5. onebucplace says: Oct 20, 2013 5:29 PM

Due to the new NFL anti-bullying rules Jenkins will be suspended 12 games and have to attend sensitivity training for making fun of Smith’s family. At least that’s what they do on Glee and I’m assuming that’s where the NFL is getting their rules from nowadays.

6. Mr. Wright 212 says: Oct 20, 2013 5:30 PM

Steve Smith should have been ejected along with Chris Long, and Jenkins would kick his arse off the field.

7. jimnaizeeum says: Oct 20, 2013 5:32 PM

In other words…treat him like a teammate.

8. bucnblood says: Oct 20, 2013 5:32 PM

Steve Smith is and has been the biggest D-bag in the league for years. Do us all a favor and kiss a bus Steve.

9. robolundgren says: Oct 20, 2013 5:33 PM

Ah, so he’ll just treat him like a teammate then?

10. allday28mvpmvp says: Oct 20, 2013 5:33 PM

In a day and age where everyone is over-sensitive and players and coaches and owners must strive to be polite and politically correct it is great to see a veteran like Steve Smith keeping it real.

11. stainlineho says: Oct 20, 2013 5:36 PM

First off, I’m a black guy.

Secondly, Steve Smith is classic representative of the culture of violence associated with the black race.

Grow up Steve Smith, you idiot.

12. stm1616 says: Oct 20, 2013 5:39 PM

lol Rams suck

13. koenig61 says: Oct 20, 2013 5:40 PM

Seems to be a trademark of Jeff Fischer coached teams. Fischer seems to have a chip on his shoulder and he likes for his players to play that way, push up to the edge of the line, unfortunately many times they cross that line.

14. lance19 says: Oct 20, 2013 5:41 PM

First off, I’m a white guy.

Secondly, Kenneth Lay was classic representative of the culture of white collar crime associated with the white race. ;)

15. walker615 says: Oct 20, 2013 5:42 PM

I love Steve Smith. Lol

16. rodh32340 says: Oct 20, 2013 5:47 PM

And ppl wonder why you never see Chris Brown and Steve Smith in the same place….

17. trollhammer20 says: Oct 20, 2013 5:53 PM

Smith could have tried to insult Jenkins’ family in return, but the game is only sixty minutes long.

18. onebucplace says: Oct 20, 2013 5:53 PM

rodh32340 says:
    Oct 20, 2013 5:47 PM

————

It sounds to me like you’re calling Jenkins a woman. Well that’s sexist so you’re going to need to go sensitivity training. Have your papers ready.

19. steelersfanfromtheseventies says: Oct 20, 2013 5:53 PM

Ibet courtland finnigan is thinking ( geez maybe i should have thought about talking trash) LOL.

20. onebucplace says: Oct 20, 2013 5:57 PM

I totally support trash talking, it’s part of the game, to get under the skin of your opponents and to try to make them screw-up. If Smith is this mad and you combine it with his stat line I’d say Jenkins did his job.

Trash talking is a great part of the game, which of course is being taken away by the same people that want to take away the Redskins name and the same people that want to tell you what kind of light bulb you can buy and what size soda you’re allowed to order.

21. aresarrow says: Oct 20, 2013 5:57 PM

So he did something right?

22. henryjones20 says: Oct 20, 2013 5:57 PM

after u polish off jenkins in the street ill give u a map to pacmans house.

23. 1rockyracoon says: Oct 20, 2013 6:00 PM

I remember when I was in 3rd grade and somebody would say something about my mom. It made me soooo angry. Then I turned 10. Keep it real, Steve. Don’t let anyone talk about your mommie! I think Steve is mad because he is spending the last years of a good career on a team that is going nowhere.

24. nfloracle says: Oct 20, 2013 6:09 PM

Oh oh, maybe it’s time for more anger management sessions for Smitty.

25. yetimonster says: Oct 20, 2013 6:12 PM

Thumbs down to people who use the word “arse” in this country.

26. conormacleod says: Oct 20, 2013 6:16 PM

It will be fun watching this dudes rap sheet after he retires.

27. onebucplace says: Oct 20, 2013 6:17 PM

lance19 says:
    Oct 20, 2013 5:41 PM
    First off, I’m a white guy.

————–

Oh I get it, you’re saying only white people do white collar crime because they’re the only ones that actually have jobs. I sentence you to 8-months of sensitivity training. Racist.

28. iced107 says: Oct 20, 2013 6:19 PM

Joke of officiating.

Chris Long gets a flag for ‘punching’ – please, nothing more than the ‘shoving’ the panthers were doing all game..oh and wait did long do? Come to the aid of a teammate, Quinn, who had 4 panthers ‘shoving’ him AFTER the play.

Gimme a break – this ref crew was the worst i’ve seen the Fail mary group

29. fdugrad says: Oct 20, 2013 6:21 PM

Well, I suppose if one is a ” glass half-full ” kind of person, this threat could be looked upon as a step forward. At least
    Steve is on the prowl for a player on ANOTHER team!

30. pooflingingmonkey says: Oct 20, 2013 6:23 PM

@onebucplace says: Oct 20, 2013 5:29 PM

“At least that’s what they do on Glee…”

Lol. You watch Glee.

31. seahawkgoat says: Oct 20, 2013 6:24 PM

Don’t worry Janoris – it’s nothing personal. This applies to the majority of human beings Mr. Smith bumps into on the streets.

32. seahawkgoat says: Oct 20, 2013 6:27 PM

@Trollhammer20

That is awesome – rarely do I actually laugh out loud, but you got me roaring. Nice work

33. bobl242 says: Oct 20, 2013 6:28 PM

jakec4 says:
    Oct 20, 2013 5:26 PM
    ————————————————————-
    Playoffs! Comedian in the house.

34. Foghorn The IKonoclast says: Oct 20, 2013 6:31 PM

After Steve gets down, I want a try.

War RootCanal (yours not mine)

35. lance19 says: Oct 20, 2013 6:37 PM

Or…
    I was just trying to discourage making a
    “stupid guy” story a “race” story.

(and no, I’m not one of those guys who complains about ACTUAL race stories)

36. onebucplace says: Oct 20, 2013 6:42 PM

pooflingingmonkey says:
    Oct 20, 2013 6:23 PM
    @onebucplace says: Oct 20, 2013 5:29 PM

“At least that’s what they do on Glee…”

Lol. You watch Glee.

————

What do you mean LOL? You’re bullying me by insinuating I’m less than a man because I may or may not have watched Glee. Sensitivity training for you.

37. onebucplace says: Oct 20, 2013 6:43 PM

lance19 says:
    Oct 20, 2013 6:37 PM
    Or…
    I was just trying to discourage making a
    “stupid guy” story a “race” story.

————

I know, I was kidding. I’m trying to show how everything is offensive to someone. Unless you’re the NFL and if one person is offended you must listen.

38. rams1999 says: Oct 20, 2013 6:48 PM

Sure he would. Well maybe he would knowing how “certain” people commit stupid crimes w/o thinking. Poor Smith got his feelings hurt. Jenkins should be complimenting his family right?
    Oh and it was obvious that Can Newton is very selfish. He celebrates by himself when he has a 13 yd run. Funny couple of simpletons.

39. vaphinfan says: Oct 20, 2013 6:58 PM

I would like to fight steve smith. Im sure it would be like fighting a younger brother. Angry, mean, and nothing behind a punch. Tatoos and talk doesnt make you tough little stevie.

40. fjackie says: Oct 20, 2013 9:59 PM

Hey, Steve Smith Haters, what was the score again? I forgot…

41. rams1999 says: Oct 20, 2013 11:02 PM

fjackie says:
    Oct 20, 2013 9:59 PM
    Hey, Steve Smith Haters, what was the score again? I forgot…

Dude, he gets his feelings hurt. Cmon. Smith, Go play Baseball or tennis if u cant handle words. My complaint is about an individuals public comment, not the outcome of game which included more men on field as refs were obvious Panther fans or just have pity on the franchise whos QB is also a big baby.

Ron Rivera has a roster full of crybabies!

42. pilot2011 says: Oct 21, 2013 10:41 AM

Rams are a dirty team

43. youvebeenphaneufed says: Oct 22, 2013 12:45 PM

All you Steve Smith haters have no clue. That guy gives more back to the community in Charlotte than any celebrity in the city, including Michael Jordan.

44. atkinsandgreenreignsupreme says: Oct 22, 2013 2:39 PM

My money is 100% on Steve Smith if they met on a street…. Also every dude on here with a girl, fiance or wife if a guy is talking to you like this all game 98.9% of you would have something to say…. If you don’t its because it’s just not how you would handle it but the majority would act and say the same thing…

And Steve Smith although not 100 yards receiving did score on Jenkins… beat it!

45. wfederal says: Oct 23, 2013 12:23 PM

rams1999 says: Oct 20, 2013 11:02 PM

fjackie says:
    Oct 20, 2013 9:59 PM
    Hey, Steve Smith Haters, what was the score again? I forgot…

Ron Rivera has a roster full of crybabies!
    =================================

Who’s the crybaby? You’re the one on here crying about how the refs were “obviously Panther fans.” That is the true mark of a whiny little crybaby. The Panthers got in their heads and the Rams showed their true colors. And I love how none of you whiny little girls are complaining about Bradford’s injury anymore because you have seen more replays and realized that he was just shoved while still in bounds. Rams fans have been taking too many notes from Tampa Bay fans. Just grow a pair and shut your mouth.