Packers players shaken by Jermichael Finley injury

Cleveland Browns v Green Bay Packers Getty Images

After coming back from a concussion earlier this year, Packers tight end Jermichael Finley admitted having second thoughts about his current job.

After he was hauled off on a backboard, immobilized and taken to a hospital last night, his teammates were too.

“I ain’t going to lie, man. I ain’t cried in long time, but I definitely shed a tear for him. That’s my brother,” tight end Andrew Quarless said, via Jason Wilde of ESPNWisconsin.com. “He couldn’t move at the time. So I just told him, ‘Just stay here, just lay here, don’t move.’ That look he had in his eyes, that was something that stuck with me. It really hurt me just to see him like that. My brother was out there on the ground.

“I was the first one there, I tried to help him up, and he just couldn’t get up. That was tough to see, for me to see my brother out there on the ground and I couldn’t do anything about it.

“I definitely shed a tear for him.”

Quarless was the first of many players to surround him after Finley took a shot from Browns safety Tashuan Gipson in the fourth quarter. The broadcast reported that Finley had feeling in his extremities during the game, but his agent sounded a more careful tone.

“Keep him in your thoughts and be patient,” agent Blake Baratz tweeted last night. “Football doesn’t matter right now.”

Given Finley’s recent comments, that gives the whole thing an ominous tone, which his teammates’ fears did nothing to allay.

“It’s a reminder how tough this game is. We put our bodies on the line, our future health on the line,” quarterback Aaron Rodgers said. “Obviously with Jermichael, he was playing really well. He’s a great friend, great teammate. He’s had a very good year for us.

“Injuries are a part of the game, but those are tough to see. Not being able to walk off the field, I know in the back of our minds, is kind of our worst nightmare.”

Hopefully there’s news soon that sounds more positive.

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill
30 Responses to “Packers players shaken by Jermichael Finley injury”
  1. deidunx says: Oct 21, 2013 8:13 AM

Yesterday was like Black October or something. Serious injuries all over the league.

The Saints were on a bye? You don’t say. Louisiana voodoo anyone?

Seriously though, hope all that went down yesterday for our viewing entertainment get well soon.

2. f1restarter says: Oct 21, 2013 8:15 AM

Hope he’ll be OK. Neck injuries are nothing to mess around with.

3. noeffinway says: Oct 21, 2013 8:17 AM

We’re praying for you Finley.

4. filthymcnasty1 says: Oct 21, 2013 8:19 AM

It was another gutty and heroic effort by the depleted corps of the Green Bay Packers.

5. pksullivanmha says: Oct 21, 2013 8:28 AM

Cleveland is a dirty team. Look what they did to EJ on purpose. @footballady52🏈

6. GenXJay says: Oct 21, 2013 8:36 AM

This is too bad. I hope the best for Jermichael & his family.

7. c1md6 says: Oct 21, 2013 8:37 AM

Poor Finley, the guy can’t “catch” a break…

8. ccjcsr says: Oct 21, 2013 8:39 AM

Get well soon and No need to hurry back, quality of Life is at stake!

9. 23rdusernameused says: Oct 21, 2013 8:49 AM

Good luck Finley!

10. finley88thebeast says: Oct 21, 2013 8:51 AM

Huge fan of you big homie…wish you the best in everything you continue you do football or not…my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family

11. cabby782 says: Oct 21, 2013 8:57 AM

Scary moment . I hope Jermichael is ok but I sensed a Nick Collins moment when I watched replay of the play. I think Mr Finley sadly may be done with football

12. larjones64 says: Oct 21, 2013 9:11 AM

Finley lowered his helmet into the Cleveland DB’s helmet. That said, I hope he doesn’t suffer any long term consequences as a result of this.

13. larjones64 says: Oct 21, 2013 10:02 AM

Finley lowered his helmet into the defender on that play. That said, I hope he doesn’t suffer long term consequences as a result of the hit.

14. packergalmke says: Oct 21, 2013 10:09 AM

Here in Milwaukee, we are hearing the Jermichael Finley is still in the hospital. He is in the I.C.U. which doesn’t sound good. Please send positive thoughts and prayers to this young man.

15. themagicfanguy says: Oct 21, 2013 10:12 AM

Hope he comes out of it okay.

16. packfanaj12 says: Oct 21, 2013 10:16 AM

Get better big guy. And to the rest of the NFL, be careful!

17. tokyosandblaster says: Oct 21, 2013 10:23 AM

I really hope he is ok. He is easily the best TE in the NFC north.

Luckily, he has two straight bye weeks to get healthy.

Thanks, NFL, for a soft schedule…or, more specifically for putting us in the same divisional Minny, Chicago, and Detroit.

18. longcutskolvikes says: Oct 21, 2013 10:57 AM

Here’s wishing him the best. You always hate to see guys get hurt like that. I hope Jermichael is able to come back and continue his career.

19. skittlesareyum says: Oct 21, 2013 11:04 AM

It really did not look good. When he was lying there at first he didn’t move his arms or legs at all, even though he was lying in an uncomfortable position. Then when he was on the backboard it looked like he had to concentrate to even weakly lift an arm.

20. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Oct 21, 2013 11:11 AM

I hope Finley comes out of this without long-term problems. It isn’t sounding too good right now. Given what he said earlier this year, this may have been his last game even if everything is okay.

21. crownofthehelmet says: Oct 21, 2013 11:37 AM

“He is easily the best TE in the NFC north.”

High praise indeed.

22. dragonflypack says: Oct 21, 2013 11:44 AM

Defensive backs are taught to launch themselves like a human missile at the runner/or receiver. Finley was already going to the ground when the DB launched himself. When this changes, unnecessary injuries like this one will stop.

The days of Mark Murphy and Chuck Cecil are over. The NFL needs to stop encouraging these “missile hits”.

Get well Jermichael.

23. dcviking says: Oct 21, 2013 12:05 PM

Hoping Finley recovers quickly.
    Wonder if he’ll want to keep playing given the beating his body has taken this year — gotta be scary.

I (legitimately) hope his son wasn’t watching yesterday.

24. valhallavictory says: Oct 21, 2013 12:21 PM

Put the blame on coach. With the game all but assured, run the ball, exhaust the clock…Lacy was already having a good game.

At worst you’d have to prevent TWO scores from Weeden-we all know that wasn’t going to happen.

Instead risk injury to your only quarterback option and your already depleted receiving core.

Interesting decisions from a SB winning coach.

25. superjroch says: Oct 21, 2013 12:28 PM

Dear NFL Receivers and other skill players: Once you make your millions, or however much you need to be comfortable for a long time, WALK AWAY from this game.

I’m a human fan before a Packer fan, and I’d much rather see guys like Finley, James Jones, Cobb, and Nelson just simply say, I’m done. I have 8 years of prime playing days left, but I have my money, I’m done.

I pray Finley fully recovers quickly, and when he does, I pray he retires from this idiotic game. The NFL has no interest in player safety.

26. superjroch says: Oct 21, 2013 12:29 PM

Any league that hasn’t given Brandon Meriweather a lifetime ban is not allowed to say that it cares about player safety.

27. aclerok says: Oct 21, 2013 2:47 PM

larjones64 says:
    Oct 21, 2013 9:11 AM

====================================

He was getting dragged to the ground as the safety was coming in for the hit. The hell did you expect him to do? Politely ask the guy to let him go so he can stand up and not get hit?

28. kevinrobinson669 says: Oct 21, 2013 3:44 PM

I’ve been saying that most of the young guys today don’t know how to tackle like they should. You can say what you want. I’ve been watching football for a long time, I’m 50. I’ve never seen so many players taking illegal shots with helmets. They don’t know or never been taught correctly. Most of These guys don’t want to give up their jobs and will hit a guy illegally, knock him out the game and don’t care, just about their jobs. Their is a technique to tackling, I blame the coache’s from college and Pro’s.

29. shnuskis says: Oct 21, 2013 5:07 PM

Agreed KevinR669, as well as the highlight reels from ESPN that resulted in basketball turning into a track meet and slam dunk competition.

30. kaperchoke says: Oct 21, 2013 5:16 PM