RGIII: We needed that breakthrough

Robert Griffin III AP

The Redskins had a rough game on defense and their special teams broke down again, but they were celebrating when the final whistle sounded largely because of the efforts of quarterback Robert Griffin III.

If that felt like a throwback to points in the 2012 season, it’s because Griffin looked a lot like he did as a rookie. He kept the ball on zone read plays and hurt the Bears with his feet, except for the times that he chose to give it up and watch Alfred Morris or Roy Helu do the same. Griffin also made plays through the air and improvised gains on plays that looked like they’d lose yards, leading to a 45-41 victory and a feeling from Griffin after the game that he’d recovered his form after the struggles of the first five games.

“Without a doubt,” Griffin said, via John Keim of ESPN.com. “We had a feeling about this game. I know I did. I talked to the guys before the game about having a breakthrough. We needed that breakthrough.”

The Bears defense is a mess, which was obviously a factor in how well things went for Griffin and the rest of the offense on Sunday and mitigates any attempt to say that all is well in Washington. That was the offense and the Griffin essential to last year’s success, however, and there wasn’t going to be any success this season until and unless it returned.

Permalink 25 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
25 Responses to “RGIII: We needed that breakthrough”
  1. liquidalfa says: Oct 21, 2013 7:18 AM

I can’t imagine what Denver is going to do to that defense next week.

2. logicalvoicesays says: Oct 21, 2013 7:20 AM

Yes sir we absolutely did. RGIII did what you would expect the BEST QB in Football to do and put the offense on his back and dominated. What a running game we have to compliment the pass. Morris and Helu oh man. If they lost last night to the Rookie of the Year runner up , Can you imagine what’s going to happen to Denver this week when they face the Rookie of the Year WINNER? Thank You GOD for making me a Redskins fan!!! We are the most resilient group under the most calm, cool and collective Head Coach and QB since Joe Gibbs and John Elway respectively in Mike Shanahan and Robert Griffin the 3rd. There is no doubt in my mind we are going to represent the NFC in the Superbowl next February at Metlife. The only question remaining is who will come out the AFC to lose! #WatchoutDenverherecomesthemightyWashingtonRedskins

3. thefootballgodssay says: Oct 21, 2013 7:33 AM

DENVER 50 DEADSKINS 3

4. crazycane says: Oct 21, 2013 7:42 AM

Refs bailed this guy out soooo many times when he decided to run on his read option. Can’t tackle a QB now when he’s in-bounds now as a RB.

5. ccjcsr says: Oct 21, 2013 7:46 AM

He got Lucky, Still tied for the worst QB in the NFC along with Bradford

6. fatomhd says: Oct 21, 2013 7:48 AM

HTTR!!!

7. pixelito says: Oct 21, 2013 7:56 AM

The [insert new team name] are still awful. You didn’t break through anything.

8. thereisfootballwestofjersey says: Oct 21, 2013 8:02 AM

Bob III. Allowing 41 points is a “breakthrough?” Your defense hasn’t been “eating fresh” bro

9. ninjapleazee says: Oct 21, 2013 8:23 AM

You barely beat a second string QB. Nothing break through about that.

10. Rockets GM says: Oct 21, 2013 8:33 AM

How come Andrew Luck has more rushing TD’s than RG3? I thought he was supposed to be all that? Too much hype if you ask me.

11. mute617 says: Oct 21, 2013 8:53 AM

Redskins played well but aside from the packers Seattle replacement re game, this was the worst officiated game I ever saw

12. baddegg says: Oct 21, 2013 8:56 AM

Wait. You mean all the Internet posters were wrong when they said that RGIII was “done for good.” How can that be that so many wise people were so wrong?

13. orivar says: Oct 21, 2013 9:16 AM

Needed what? They have the Broncos next week and I’d surely take the Broncos offense over the Redskins as both their defenses suck.

14. rushg says: Oct 21, 2013 9:21 AM

Hail!!

15. realfootballfan says: Oct 21, 2013 9:35 AM

Griffin finally resembles himself, but the Washington defense is terrible. I didn’t think anyone could give the Eagle defense a run for its money, but they’re neck and neck in the same division.

16. ericfast13 says: Oct 21, 2013 9:49 AM

Negative Nancy. Bears d may be a mess, but with Reed emerging, this offense has a lot more going for it now.

17. wannabear says: Oct 21, 2013 10:35 AM

played against a depleted bears team and you called that a breakthrough?

18. GBwomenrhot says: Oct 21, 2013 11:25 AM

It should be easy to win when the opposing team loses it’s Offensive and Defensive leaders (Cutler and Briggs).

And they were a Robbie Gould missed FG away from losing….

Sorry, the Skins are dreadful!!!

19. shatho1 says: Oct 21, 2013 11:31 AM

until next week when they play a better team

20. larrydavid7000 says: Oct 21, 2013 12:15 PM

46 Thunder 29 Lightning what an awesome combination. !!!!!!!!! If I were denver I be worried big time. That’s just offense. Defence its 98 and 91 Licking their Chops.!!!!!! There will be NO SHOOT OUT IN THIS GAME. WE ARE NOT THE cowgirls either. !!!!!!!!!!

21. skinsfan91 says: Oct 21, 2013 1:21 PM

Worried about next week, we’ll be sans Merriwether.

22. robman91 says: Oct 21, 2013 1:24 PM

“thefootballgodssay says:
    Oct 21, 2013 7:33 AM
    DENVER 50 DEADSKINS 3″

Do you really think Washington will only score 3 on one of the NFL’s worst defenses?

23. graham4jc says: Oct 21, 2013 7:53 PM

“And they were a Robbie Gould missed FG away from losing….”

Um, how many points are field goals worth in your world?

24. dstep24 says: Oct 21, 2013 11:39 PM

Breakthrough? LOL. Barely beating McCown?

25. harrypairotestes says: Oct 22, 2013 6:00 PM

At the end of the day, I can appreciate griffin’s comment (and his reasons behind saying those things) regarding the skins’ supposed break through. Hey, whatever makes him feel better. But what I find more amusing, borderline comical that is, is the way that skin fans seem to be celebrating (like they just won a SB) and assumingly handing the skins an automatic win next week, against Denver, no less.

A team who has only lost 1 game so far, being run over by a 2 win team who’s shown dominance over an underachieving Bears team. WOW, get over yourself guys. I get the whole “Any Given Sunday” but I think you guys already used that last night against the Bears.

These fans make me laugh. I swear, I read these articles when I need a break from work in the afternoon and need some levity.

Keep it up skin fans, you are, without a doubt, making this season enjoyable!