Barkley could be forced to start against Giants

Matt Barkley AP

When Eagles coach Chip Kelly talked to reporters Monday, he wasn’t sure who he’d have available to practice today.

So trying to pin him down on the identity of his starting quarterback was a fruitless endeavor, as he couldn’t rule out rookie Matt Barkley starting this week, since Nick Foles has a concussion and Michael Vick is working back from a hamstring injury.

Right now I don’t know who is healthy and who is not healthy,” Kelly said, via Zach Berman of the Philadelphia Inquirer. “Until we find out who is healthy, it doesn’t help anybody to say that guy’s our starter.”

Foles will have to be cleared by an independent neurologist, but the status of Vick’s left hamstring offers a bit of wiggle room. He’d likely play if he’s close to 100 percent, but the degree to which he can move will determine his availability.

“I’m not going to put Mike out there if Mike can’t be productive,” Kelly said. “That can’t change just because someone else got hurt. That doesn’t make another guy get healthy quicker.”

That could put them back in the hands of Barkley against the Giants, and Kelly said he thought the fourth-round pick could rebound from a bad start. He threw three interceptions in nine minutes replacing Foles last week, though Kelly said he didn’t think any had to do with the arm strength questions that were persistent in the pre-draft process.

“I didn’t see a difference on Sunday in him,” Kelly said. “I think Matt can make the throws. It’s just a matter of him learning and learning the speed of the game. I think he’s got a bright future.”

Unless Vick gets well or Foles gets a quick clearance, the future could be now.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill
10 Responses to “Barkley could be forced to start against Giants”
  1. oldbyrd says: Oct 22, 2013 8:13 AM

My Dog”s name is Barkley.

2. csbanter says: Oct 22, 2013 8:27 AM

Eagles have no chance against Giants with Barkley. How anyone thought he was first round material is beyond me?

3. classyjacklambert says: Oct 22, 2013 8:34 AM

I don’t get the wording of the title. Why does Barkley need to be forced to start? Does he not want to?

4. 23rdusernameused says: Oct 22, 2013 8:44 AM

“I’m not going to put Mike out there if Mike can’t be productive,” Kelly said.

Well, you put Nick in and he wasn’t productive, AT ALL!!

Come on man!!!

5. gromgrimfist says: Oct 22, 2013 8:53 AM

This is a scary thought he looked so bad Sunday 3 picks in one quarter I would hate to see him in a full game 12 ints yikes

6. ochospantalones says: Oct 22, 2013 10:13 AM

I am not sure I have ever seen a QB play worse than Barkley did Sunday. Which is amazing, because Foles was pretty terrible before that, but at least he didn’t throw the ball directly at the defensive players.

7. jacksonjames4 says: Oct 22, 2013 10:30 AM

Giants could be forced to have their second win

8. raynman49 says: Oct 22, 2013 10:49 AM

Typical USC qb. After last night’s game I thought the Giants will not win another game. They were horrible. Now, with Barkley……….

9. pabrownsfan says: Oct 22, 2013 10:57 AM

Barkley for Weedon?

10. s0merand0mguy says: Oct 22, 2013 11:19 AM

Matt Barkleys only problem was the speed of the game. He needs some time to adjust. You can’t expect miracles he’s a 1st year rookie learning a complicated offense. I can only hope Foles passes his concussion test and can start on Sunday. Anybody with a brain could see Foles was hurt right out the gate from last weeks game. His hip motion was horrible and he just couldn’t accurately get the ball out. That’s NOT at all like Foles but what other choice did Chip have? Give Barkely a week with the 1st team he wont be as bad but throw him into a game with no real preparation and you will see rookie mistakes. Chip made the right call here.