For the Giants, win brings a degree of relief

Tom Coughlin AP

It wasn’t much to look at, and it was against a team every bit as bad as they are, but the simple relief of not losing was evident for the Giants last night, after an ugly 23-7 win over the Vikings.

It was, in short, a break they needed.

“Do I have to describe that?” Giants coach Tom Coughlin said, via Ebenezer Samuel of the New York Daily News. “We needed it all along. The guys have really been great. . . .

“I feel good for our guys. I’m happy for our coaches, I’m happy for our players, I’m happy for our owners that we won.”

It was also a relief for their fans, who have watched some bad football, and continued to. The Giants were fortunate to have gotten away with one, because they still can’t run the ball (2.0 yards per carry), their passing game hasn’t clicked yet (a Rueben Randle fumble, and plenty of big play near-misses) and they still give up too many big plays in special teams (their third punt return touchdown allowed in seven games).

“I was definitely ecstatic,” safety Antrel Rolle said. “I think the team, overall, we played a great game.”

It’s a good win,” said Pierre-Paul. “We’re gonna build on this, and hopefully everybody can stick together and continue to practice well and let’s get on a roll.”

While it’s one thing to mix it up, the Giants looked far from great, and certainly not like a team ready to roll far.

Permalink 25 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Minnesota Vikings, New York Giants, Rumor Mill
25 Responses to “For the Giants, win brings a degree of relief”
  1. swaggyy says: Oct 22, 2013 6:12 AM

Congrats you guys beat the Vikings…

2. kev86 says: Oct 22, 2013 6:52 AM

Whose next? Go Blue.

3. green41563 says: Oct 22, 2013 7:30 AM

As a Jet fan, I was delighted by the Giants’ 0-6 start, but after that, I decided that they should go 7-3 the rest of the way. That way, they blow their draft position and make sure they’re not able to get a bundle in trade from some team looking to take Bridgewater, Boyd, or Clowney.

Do it for Tom, guys! #pride

4. honkerdawg says: Oct 22, 2013 7:41 AM

Giants finally found a team worse then they are which is hard.

5. footballviewer says: Oct 22, 2013 7:46 AM

Gantt obviously wrote this based on a news account of the game, not from watching it or from watch in highlights. That’s because Randle’s fumble was on a punt return, and had nothing to do with the passing game.

Neither the Giants nor Vikings are good teams this season. They showed it last night. This article isn’t good either. A quality, NBC affiliated organization will not hide this criticism.

6. jwmnyg90 says: Oct 22, 2013 8:23 AM

Ruben Randle fumbling a punt return means our passing game “hasn’t clicked”? There are plenty of reasons our passing game hasn’t clicked, but Reuben Randle fumbling a PUNT RETURN surely has nothing to do with it. It’s like this dude didn’t even watch the game.

7. Bill Belichick says: Oct 22, 2013 8:47 AM

I suppose congrats are in order. The G men got one in the correct column, and they have proven that they arent the worst team (MN, Jax are worse). Was that not the worst Monday Night football game in the history of MNF???? What the hell happened to th Vikings? They were very competitive in the first 3 games, now this, lol

8. cpo187 says: Oct 22, 2013 8:58 AM

I am glad my Vikings can help spread joy around the NFL!

9. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Oct 22, 2013 9:47 AM

We’ll see how good they feel about this win when they’re picking behind the Vikings at the draft.

10. tformation says: Oct 22, 2013 10:16 AM

I didn’t watch the game, but heard parts of it on the national radio broadcast. I heard things like: “It doesn’t look like these guys have really practiced together” about the GIANTS.

Yikes. Got the Jags on the schedule this year?

11. bobnelsonjr says: Oct 22, 2013 10:26 AM

Enjoy the week Giants.

12. cboys4life says: Oct 22, 2013 12:10 PM

I still think the giants finish ahead of Washington this year

13. Mr. Wright 212 says: Oct 22, 2013 1:32 PM

Not really. We looked awful. The Jags would have beaten us. The Vikes just looked like a junior varsity high school team, so we “won” so there isn’t much relief. Eli still forced two awful throws that should have been pick sixes, Vic and Nicks both dropped TD passes, and Randle teases Dave on Twitter about fumbling, then has a mindless fumble himself — which would have killed us had we been playing a competent offense.

There is no relief if they go back to being the turnover machine like they did in the first Philly game this weekend.

14. Mr. Wright 212 says: Oct 22, 2013 1:40 PM

One has to wonder if there was a memo passed down to all the networks to constantly repeat how bad the game was. I am at a loss for words with regards to how people ignore how BAD MNF is almost every week, and has been for years.

15. BringBackTheFlex says: Oct 22, 2013 2:59 PM

I don’t usually watch MNF. I can’t stand Gruden’s pedantic remarks and his nostalgic references to when he was coaching. The man couldn’t select or groom a QB to save his professional career.

I watched to see the Giants lose their 7th game. I had thought NY started the worst QB in the game, but Frazier corrected me by starting one even worse.

What a joke for the football fan.

16. lt1976 says: Oct 22, 2013 4:31 PM

Boy, that was unimpressive!

I see us only winning one (if at all) more game: Raiders. Sorry, Raiders-Fans.

Thanks to the Vikings for playing Freeman one week or so on the job. Had Ponder played, I think the Giants would have lost.

17. billco6192013 says: Oct 22, 2013 5:00 PM

Deihl still looked bad and manning is lucky he didnt have another pic 6.We need to draft a tackle push pugh inside and draft a center.Booth looked pretty bad too, he was getting pushed around.Brewer should be starting over deihl.BEASON IS THE BEST THING THAT HAPPEN TO NEW YORK THIS YEAR,A SIDELINE TO SIDELINE PLAYER,BEST MIDDLE LINEBACKER SINCE PIERCE.WE NEED ANOTHER STUD LINE BACKER AND MAKE KIWI A THIRD LINE BACKER.3-4 FELLAS.PERRY S DE GETS NO PRESSURE.THESE GUYS SHOULD GAME PLAN FOR PHILLY SAME WAY STOP MCOY,LET VICK BEAT YOU.NO BRAINER.

18. Mr. Wright 212 says: Oct 22, 2013 5:09 PM

Diehl was bad, Cordle was worse. Pugh also looked bad for the first time.

We need to have Beatty-Brewer-Boothe-Mosley or Diehl-Pugh across the line.

Beason is the first guy with any speed out there since the guy he stood next to when the offense was on the field was still here in 2001.

I was waiting for someone to point fingers at Fewell. Took all day, but here we go. He doesn’t have the personnel. Accept this reality. It’s not scheme, these guys don’t know rushing lanes (blitzes), forgot technique (look at Tuck on film when he gets stood up and doesn’t make any progress) and no one other than Beason has any speed worth speaking off at the LB level.

Very good games by Rolle, Prince and Will.

19. billco6192013 says: Oct 22, 2013 5:11 PM

BEASON IM GETTING YOUR JERSEY,YOUR A STUD.NOW YOU KNOW HOW BAD OUR LINEBACKERS REALY WERE.SIGN THIS GUY TO A BIG CONTRACT.HE IS A LEADER ALL THE WAY, WE WERE MISSING THAT.IN REESE WE TRUST.ROLLE AND BEASON CAN NOW MAKE THIS DE WORKABLE.WE GET RID OF DEHL,BASS,SNEE,NICKS ,WEBSTER AND SOME OTHERS AND WE SHOULD BE GREAT IN BEING ABLE TO SIGN A SOLID CORNER.MAYBE A STUD RUNNING BACK LIKE JONES DREW.BUILD O LINE IN DRAFT AND YOU GOT NEXT YEARS DIVISION WINNER.

20. billco6192013 says: Oct 22, 2013 5:16 PM

we need o line in draft mr wright and we should be fine.

21. billco6192013 says: Oct 22, 2013 5:19 PM

should we push up and get clowney

22. Mr. Wright 212 says: Oct 22, 2013 5:20 PM

Bill are you “Bill from Connecticut” with all the yelling, mercy.

You make good points, though.

23. Mr. Wright 212 says: Oct 22, 2013 5:20 PM

Want no parts of Jones-Drew. He’s 30 and washed up.

24. Mr. Wright 212 says: Oct 22, 2013 5:31 PM

No, there are other players who can be had in the 2nd round at that position. I watch this guy every week, and while he shows flashes, he isn’t Lawrence or Julius Peppers in his prime, either.

We have too many other holes to fill, and they really need to be looking at a linebacker or a REAL cornerback opposite Prince in the 1st round.

25. fdugrad says: Oct 22, 2013 7:19 PM

I feel relieved for coach Coughlin. I don’t think I have ever seen anyone who appears to HATE losing as much as this man. He certainly maintains the inner FIRE and drive to coach , and it is even MORE amazing, given his age. I admire his character.