Fred Davis says he didn’t ask to be traded

Fred Davis AP

The Redskins reportedly are shopping tight end Fred Davis.  If they are, Fred Davis says it’s not happening because he asked for it.

I didn’t request anything,” Davis told LaVar Arrington and Chad Dukes of 106.7 The Fan in D.C.

The talk of a possible trade surfaced a say after the Redskins put Davis on the inactive list for the game against the Bears.

“I mean, I thought everything was going the right way,” Davis said.  “I thought everything was pretty good preseason and heading into the season, and other than that, I guess they just feel they had a better option in Jordan [Reed] and Logan [Paulsen] playing, and I wish I could help the team any way I could.  I know for sure I know I can whenever I get an opportunity, but it just hasn’t been the case these few games I haven’t been playing.”

Davis was asked if he prefers at this point to be released.

“I mean, at the end of the day, man, to be honest with you, I don’t really prefer that, I just want to be able to play,” Davis said.  “That’s what I prefer.  I prefer to be playing.  Like LaVar said, there’s plays out there that I know that I can make, too, so I feel like with assets like that, I feel I want to help my team out in any kind of way.  I don’t want to be released and I don’t want to be cut.  I don’t want any of that.  But like I said, right now I’m a Redskin, I’m playing, but if I don’t get a chance to, and they feel there’s a better opportunity for me somewhere else to play, and a team that needs me or something, needs my ability and I go out there and make plays, then that’s what I need to do.”

Davis hasn’t had a ball thrown in his direction since Week Two, and he’s been inactive the past two weeks.

It’s unknown whether anyone has interest in trading for Davis and the balance of his $1 million salary.  If he’s not traded by next Tuesday and thereafter released, he’ll be subject to waivers.

Permalink 35 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
35 Responses to “Fred Davis says he didn’t ask to be traded”
  1. 1bigtex says: Oct 22, 2013 8:14 PM

Wait a minute. I thought that Fred was supposed to be one of the top 5 TEs in the league and a match up nightmare. Isn’t he an “easy 6 points in the red zone”? Pay no attention to that 3 for 25 with 0 TDs stat line. We all know that the logical one is never wrong.

2. jaredo10 says: Oct 22, 2013 8:14 PM

“he’s going to Miami. welcome to Miami” – will smith

3. redzona says: Oct 22, 2013 8:16 PM

You said “Redskins” twice and I wasn’t offended.

4. thestrategyexpert says: Oct 22, 2013 8:16 PM

Well maybe they can package him with another 2014 expected FA, and Tony Scheffler would be happy to ride that inactive spot just in case they need him to play, plus he is free to obtain. Fill a spot cheap and kill a couple of trade objectives at the same time.

5. nickbrezzy says: Oct 22, 2013 8:26 PM

I think he might be a good fit for the jets or pats I kinda like fred some people don’t like that he speaks he mind good or bad but I like that in a player it’s not the same old PR bs that the players really don’t mean

6. kolbe213 says: Oct 22, 2013 8:28 PM

redzona – You said “Redskins” twice and I wasn’t offended.

OMG … THUMBS UP!!!!

7. cpizz says: Oct 22, 2013 8:36 PM

redzona says:’s post made me chuckle and i wasn’t offended either.

8. munny10 says: Oct 22, 2013 8:37 PM

I’m more offended by the lack of proof-reading done by florio’s people than the writing of “Redskins”:
    The talk of a possible trade surfaced a “SAY” after the Redskins put Davis on the inactive list for …

9. iheartharvin says: Oct 22, 2013 8:37 PM

If I were the REDSKINS I would just give him to my new team, the green bay packers. Come on REDSKINS, you can do it.

10. skinsfan91 says: Oct 22, 2013 8:39 PM

I hope we can keep him. Seems like having him and Reed out there could cause some match up problems.

11. skinsfan91 says: Oct 22, 2013 8:41 PM

nickbrezzy says:
    Oct 22, 2013 8:26 PM
    ____________________________________
    And I bet you hate RGIII.

12. watermelon1 says: Oct 22, 2013 8:42 PM

RAVENS need a right end(supposedly… I still think the problem is the QB).

And Fred wouldn’t have to move his residence.

And it’s an out of division, out of conference trade. Seems like winning situation for everyone.

13. marylandchief says: Oct 22, 2013 8:45 PM

The Chiefs are on their 4th tight end (at least until Fasano came back from injury this week). I’d love to see them consider this guy. Anyone have a read on why he’s fallen from grace so suddenly in DC?

Btw, Washington Liberals. Now THAT would be an offensive name.

14. edweird0 says: Oct 22, 2013 8:51 PM

Redzona:

Thats because you’re not part of the group that its offending, jackass. Let it be the stereotype for your race and we’ll see how quickly that’ll change.

15. tangysizzl says: Oct 22, 2013 8:51 PM

Once again the Packers could probably use a guy like Fred Davis with Jermichael Finley out for the year I assume and possibly longer.

Tony Scheffler would also be a decent pickup but im sure Ted Thompson will just stand pat with the guys he has. or he will sign someone who you’ve never heard of and the train will roll on.

16. citizenstrange says: Oct 22, 2013 9:13 PM

The Steelers will politely say NO THANK YOU! They shrewdly used their IR Designated to Return on a 4th string tight end who should return by week 15.

17. rodneyharrisonstruckstick says: Oct 22, 2013 9:26 PM

Dude the Patriots Should definitely trade like a 5th-6 th rnd pick. He’s not worth more than that. I’m not saying as a player hes not worth more than that, but with his contract and team situation that’s where it falls, I’d think. Or give a look see at tony Scheffler. Or both.

18. paychrisjohnson28 says: Oct 22, 2013 9:28 PM

Fred Davis to the Baltimore Ravens perfect fit and Mr. Davis wouldn’t have to travel that far at all…

—–NFL Fan Dan

19. raiderapologist says: Oct 22, 2013 9:36 PM

edweird0 says: Oct 22, 2013 8:51 PM

Redzona:

————-
    I’m part of that group, and it doesn’t offend me. Sticks and stones, edweirdo.

20. deddmunnie says: Oct 22, 2013 9:39 PM

The only thing offensive on this entire page is the post from Libtard, edweirdo.

21. bennyb82 says: Oct 22, 2013 9:58 PM

He didn’t need to request a trade once he said publicly that the Redskin name could be considered offensive…

22. doctorrustbelt says: Oct 22, 2013 11:00 PM

Nobody is interested in a dirtbag tight end with a bad Achilles who hangs out with pimps/hookers.

23. johnnyjagfan says: Oct 22, 2013 11:04 PM

Christian Ponder would have more credibility if he sounded more like Fred Davis.

24. bobby3sticks says: Oct 22, 2013 11:07 PM

Fred Davis? Really! As a life long skins face I think in his mind that he is on the same level as a Art Monk and Charles Mann. He will be traded for a low level draft pick but he can smoke himself out of the league on another team. Bye bye Fred. Jordan Reeed just took your job.

25. eviltwin007 says: Oct 22, 2013 11:15 PM

edweird0 says: Oct 22, 2013 8:51 PM

Redzona:

————————————————————–
    Oh shut up you little pansy ass. I’m a white male and my race is being stereotyped all the time now on tv, with such shows as Duck Dynasty, Call of the Wildman, Moonshiners, Tickle, etc, etc… with white males acting like idiots on tv for entertainment. And you don’t hear white people crying about it.

26. laserw says: Oct 22, 2013 11:21 PM

I hope they trade Weedy Davis – he has the propensity to partake in that weed – perhaps the Redskins can con the Texans and then they can cut him the next week.

27. brewcrewchamps says: Oct 23, 2013 12:01 AM

edweirdo:

Have you paid attention to the percentage of people offended by the name redskins? It’s virtually all white people.

I’m not sure why the white race are more offended than the race the offensive term is aimed towards, but it is almost always the case. I want to say it has some political motive but I really don’t understand it.

It’s just an observation, if I’m completely wrong feel free to correct me

28. 1standinches says: Oct 23, 2013 12:39 AM

I’m offended that they didn’t say “Redskins” more than 2 times

29. blackqbwhiterb says: Oct 23, 2013 5:26 AM

He actually is a real good TE, but they picked up Jordan Reed in the draft & he’s already showing he’s going to be a star. So Davis has unexpectedly become expendable. Plus the injury last year & the whole weed smoking thing…. You know…..

30. deshackle says: Oct 23, 2013 10:14 AM

Typical Shanarat move, devalue a player by deactivating him then try to trade him. Davis once played at a pro bowl level and could’ve been worth a second round pick. Reduced to nothing by Shanarat.

31. obmig says: Oct 23, 2013 10:49 AM

deshackle says:
    Oct 23, 2013 10:14 AM

Terrible move by coach, but a non dominant te coming off a torn achilles would never command a 2nd. He’s prob fallen from a 4th-6th rounder in a trade to the point that now everyone is just waiting for him to be released.

32. fringetastic says: Oct 23, 2013 10:50 AM

Has a team ever traded a player because the player requested it?

33. 1bigtex says: Oct 23, 2013 10:52 AM

@deshackle

“once played at a pro bowl level”

When? And for how long, what a quarter?
    The guy has been in the league over five years and he has yet to total 2000 yards in receiving with a high water mark under 800. With Vernon Davis, Witten, Graham, and Finley all in the NFC, when was Fred EVER better than those guys? SECOND ROUNDER? You must have smoked more than Fred.

34. deshackle says: Oct 23, 2013 11:09 AM

Redskins used the franchise tag on Fred Davis in 2012.

35. gschwekj says: Oct 23, 2013 6:26 PM

Unless the redskins are able to get someone that can really add to their game, I dont see any reason why they would trade him. He didnt produce in the first three weeks,which is when the whole team was barely producing. Jordan Reed is awesome, but is Logan Paulsen really doing anything? And what if Jordan Reed gets injured? I think you have to give Fred more opportunities.