Bryant McKinnie says he’s fine, Big Mac is trouble

BET's Rip The Runway 2012 - Arrivals Getty Images

One of the first — and probably justified — reactions when Bryant McKinnie was traded to the Dolphins was a concern about his penchant for the South Beach nightlife in his hometown.

For a guy who found trouble on a boat in Minnesota or a bus in Baltimore with Sweet Pea, giving him home field advantage might be tough.

But McKinnie said that’s not a concern, because he’s able to compartmentalize.

“That’s when I’m off,” McKinnie said of his reputation, via Adam Beasley of the Miami Herald. “See, that’s Big Mac in the offseason. Bryant McKinnie is the person who comes to work and handles his business. That is what you’ll get right now.”

Of course, if all his indiscretions were limited to the offseason and his focus laser-sharp during the season, he’d perhaps still be a Raven (or a Viking).

For now, he’s a Dolphin, trying to shore up an offensive line that has been a problem all year. And though they want him to behave, the Dolphins are more interested that he play competent left tackle than sing in the choir.

“I don’t mandate what people do outside the building,” Dolphins coach Joe Philbin said. “I enjoy my free time when I have free time. We expect him to be a professional, just like we’d expect anyone.”

If they can get the McKinnie that played with focus during the Ravens’ Super Bowl run, they’ll be happy.

But if they get Big Mac, watch out.

Permalink 22 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill
22 Responses to “Bryant McKinnie says he’s fine, Big Mac is trouble”
  1. greglloydrules says: Oct 23, 2013 6:41 AM

Seriously? Big Mac? I have so many jokes but don’t know which one to post. And your in Miami now. No way you don’t get distracted.

2. krazytrane says: Oct 23, 2013 6:59 AM

“Handles his business”? He must think his “business” involves playing a matador. Mount McKinney is definitely great at letting the bull rushers through.

3. uncletuna says: Oct 23, 2013 6:59 AM

…this should end well…

4. skins2357 says: Oct 23, 2013 7:10 AM

I would of thought he was more of a double quarter pounder with cheese guy?

5. bkunza says: Oct 23, 2013 7:33 AM

The most under motivated player in sports history. When he was with the Vikings it took a benching to get his ass going, then he played like an all pro. The same thing with Baltimore. I’m sure he’ll start in Miami real good then get comfortable and get lazy once again.

6. FinFan68 says: Oct 23, 2013 7:35 AM

An alter-ego too? I don’t care if he was the best lineman in the NFL, this is not a good move. That is not a guy you want influencing a young team. World-class lazy, bad attitude, dumb as a brick, irresponsible and the decision making prowess of a 7 year old. What could go wrong?

7. Foghorn The IKonoclast says: Oct 23, 2013 7:55 AM

I bet Coach Halas or Coach Landry might disagree and perhaps this one would too if he wasn’t breaking things and getting into trouble. The rub here is not that he can still play football but that he uses good judgement.. He needs to get squared away fast.

8. whatjusthapped says: Oct 23, 2013 7:58 AM

Don’t you love it with pro football players refer to themselves in the third person? Its almost like saying, “I know you think I’m a complete idiot but just to remove all doubt, let me talk about myself in the third person” In McKinnie’s case, his actions are already speaking louder than his words. Complete loser.

9. dcapettini says: Oct 23, 2013 8:06 AM

There is no telling how McKinnie will play for Miami. When he is good, he is very very good; but when he is bad, he is horrid.

It is not just a matter of conditioning. Some players take a few plays off. McKinnie takes whole games off.

10. joemontanawasthegreatest says: Oct 23, 2013 8:06 AM

“Look… me and the McDonald’s people got this little misunderstanding. See, they’re McDonald’s… I’m McDowell’s. They got the Golden Arches, mine is the Golden Arcs. They got the Big Mac, I got the Big Mick.”

11. vincentbojackson says: Oct 23, 2013 8:40 AM

The Dolphins have bigger concerns than if McKinnie pans out. Most notably, the fortune they paid Mike Wallace in return for his current average of 59 receiving yards per game.

12. illiniftw says: Oct 23, 2013 9:00 AM

Sounds like he’s ready to take responsibility for his actions finally! Good luck with that Miami

13. jzone954 says: Oct 23, 2013 9:11 AM

Everyone sort of seeing now why the dolphins didn’t make this happen in the offseason when they had the chance too.
    Ofcourse the party life was a concern, they just had to now with Clabo pretty much letting who ever he faced own him. The dolphins are 3-3 and out of those 3 losses the Saints were the ones who really took it to Miami. But the losses to the bills and ravens came down to a game winning drive that the offensive line total let the team down. Against the ravens they gave up 2 sacks on a drive to tie the game, then a drive to put the bills away gave up a sack that caused a fumble and game over .
    Well see where this goes

14. doubleogator says: Oct 23, 2013 9:34 AM

Sybil?

15. pj608 says: Oct 23, 2013 9:42 AM

I can’t really see how this can hurt. He will either play good or do nothing and will be a free agent at the end of the season… Only influence he would have badly is on mike Wallace which is already not playing good. TRADE WALLACE. This draft pick should have gone for a anqwuan boldin. Please fix this o-line in the offseason because tannehill is a good QB. Even Tom Brady is looking bad because his o-line isn’t playing good. At least tannehill has a good receiving core.

16. slick50ks says: Oct 23, 2013 9:57 AM

What a joke this once proud franchise has become.

#1 reason? Jeff Ireland.

17. jcrileyesq says: Oct 23, 2013 10:29 AM

mcdonalds wants no part of this endorsement

18. scoobies05 says: Oct 23, 2013 10:55 AM

pj..we said the same thing in baltimore. good luck to ya

19. mackcarrington says: Oct 23, 2013 2:01 PM

I thought he said that the Big Mac WAS IN trouble.

20. igotgamenj says: Oct 23, 2013 2:19 PM

I like to see all these tough guys that post say this stuff to his face..

21. doe22us says: Oct 23, 2013 3:35 PM

igotgamenj says:
    Oct 23, 2013 2:19 PM
    I like to see all these tough guys that post say this stuff to his face..

He stinks more often than not because he is un-motivated.

22. jpietrefesa says: Oct 23, 2013 7:16 PM

Bryant McKinnie is now my favorite football player. Big Mac is now my idol. Priceless comments. Preach on brotha man.