Jennings tries to sweep his Rodgers remarks under rug

Britain Football NFL AP

For a guy who has caught passes from three quarterbacks in six weeks (none of them particularly good), it would be natural for Greg Jennings to feel a little nostalgiac this week.

But the Vikings wide receiver said he wanted to move on after a summer spent making pointed comments about the Packers, and quarterback Aaron Rodgers in particular.

For his part, Rodgers said he wasn’t worried about it months ago, which may be equally unlikely to the line Jennings was selling.

But in a conference call with reporters today, Jennings tried to distance himself from the remarks.

That’s behind me but at the same time I have the utmost respect for that organization,” Jennings said, via Jason Wilde of ESPNWisconsin.com, presumably while doing the backstroke. “I was just really razzing a little bit with Aaron, just knowing how he is and just going back and forth with some of the guys. It wasn’t meant to hurt anyone’s feelings. It was just really messing around initially and then everyone kind of blew it a little bit out of proportion.

“I have the most respect for that organization. I had my most successful years there and I still have relations with some of the guys over there and still have the respect that I had when I was playing there with them. Even when I’m not right now I still have respect for them.”

Jennings said he has not spoken with Rodgers since the incident, and when asked if he wishes he was still catching passes from his former teammate, Jennings replied: “No, man, God has blessed me to move on from that. I’ve embraced my situation and my role here and my teammates here.”

What he embraced was a chance to get paid in the open market, which is fine. What he should not expect is for anyone to simply forget the remarks he made, and pretend they never happened.

Permalink 44 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill
44 Responses to “Jennings tries to sweep his Rodgers remarks under rug”
  1. tokyosandblaster says: Oct 23, 2013 3:58 PM

I think Jennings explodes this week for 4 catches and 35 yards.

2. hawkforlife says: Oct 23, 2013 4:01 PM

“No, man, God has blessed me to move on from that.

Yeah, sounds like he’s moved on.

3. filthymcnasty1 says: Oct 23, 2013 4:01 PM

I’m sure Jennings is enjoying playing for 1-5 Vikings.

Or perhaps he just wanted to get paid the big bucks by some clueless GM, and didn’t care that he ended up on a perennial loser.

4. mp4philly says: Oct 23, 2013 4:03 PM

I honestly forgot about Greg Jennings.

5. bucrightoff says: Oct 23, 2013 4:04 PM

Report: Greg Jennings to miss Sunday’s game after injuring his ankles trying to backtrack too fast.

6. assuredmutualdestruction says: Oct 23, 2013 4:05 PM

7. purpleguy says: Oct 23, 2013 4:05 PM

Come on, a former player does anything other than get on his knees and worship the Pack and cheesers act like they’ve got a ton of hot cheese curds stuck down their shorts for the next 10 years.

8. scaredhitless says: Oct 23, 2013 4:08 PM

tokyosandblaster says:
    Oct 23, 2013 3:58 PM
    I think Jennings explodes this week for 4 catches and 35 yards.
    ——————————————–

Best comment on PFT this week.

9. steelerben says: Oct 23, 2013 4:08 PM

Have the Vikings considered moving Jennings to corner? I know their secondary has been struggling and it looks like the guy is really quick in his backpedal.

10. bennyb82 says: Oct 23, 2013 4:12 PM

Green Bay has to be the number one place that any young receiver would want to play. Aaron Rodgers will turn your rookie deal into a lottery ticket.

11. hansenbrothers says: Oct 23, 2013 4:13 PM

Packers fans don’t care, Jennings is a loser and we’ve moved on. You couldn’t give me an #85 jersey. The dude completely trashed his reputation with Green Bay fans and he’ll regret it one day.

12. granadafan says: Oct 23, 2013 4:22 PM

“assuredmutualdestruction says: Oct 23, 2013 4:05 PM
    I’m sure they wish Jennings was suiting up for them. That packer recieving group is paper thin at this point.”
    ===========================================

They probably both wish he hadn’t moved on, but I’m pretty sure Jennings wishes more he was still catching accurate passes from #12 rather than watching ball after ball sail over his head or run that perfect route, turn around and see one his three QBs lying on the turf with yet another sack.

13. rickyspanish says: Oct 23, 2013 4:23 PM

Aaron Rodgers looks small in that picture.

14. twonis says: Oct 23, 2013 4:25 PM

Jennings had a great run with the Pack and, in some ways, I think it would be great if he was still there.

But think about it for a second– Jennings hasn’t been hurt all season. That’s because you have to get tackled to get hurt. And you have to catch the ball to get tackled. And someone has to be able to throw the ball to someone like Jennings so they can catch it.

Now that I think about it, going to the Vikings may have just added 5 years to Jennings career. No action=No hits= No injuries.

Genius move, Greg.

15. thestrategyexpert says: Oct 23, 2013 4:26 PM

This wasn’t friendly banter or razzing, I think he’s just flat out lying now. Which makes things worse. Keep digging a bigger hole. Comment some more when you are ready to be honest and straight forward. Otherwise just keep quiet.

16. jda129 says: Oct 23, 2013 4:28 PM

Looks like he’s gonna show the kid how he can fit a football in his mouth. Should be easy now that his foot has ben removed and it’s nice and stretched.

17. jonny42671 says: Oct 23, 2013 4:30 PM

@hansonbrothers…..you Packer fans still amaze me. Do you really think you are so great that no player can ever leave?? These players did many great things for your team. Players move on, show some class and stop acting like 10 yr olds. Look at what Indy did for Manning. Get some class and grow up and stop proving that you are the most self righteous , worst fans in sports.

18. judsonjr says: Oct 23, 2013 4:32 PM

I still think the guy was bitter how he was kind of overlooked after the Superbowl win. Once you got through Rodgers, Raji, Woodson, Matthews there wasn’t much spotlight or endorsements left. The only time I saw him on TV after the win was when they had him on some B-level talk show with the “team on my back” youtube video.

19. shaggytoodle says: Oct 23, 2013 4:33 PM

He got what he wanted, I would love to hear what his sister feels about the QB situation.

I think the Packers offer was quite fair. I think that TT does a pretty good job when negotiating.

I think if you want know you can play for a team that can contend for the playoffs every year, take a little bit less, so the unit as a whole can be built better.

If money is more important than being competitive in your eyes. Be careful what you wish for.

20. deltaoracle says: Oct 23, 2013 4:35 PM

If Vikings have a clue most of their passing attack will go to the TEs against the inexperienced GB LBs. If that and a heavy dose of Peterson starts to make the Packer DBs forget about him, Jennings will have some chances to do damage.
    Viking fans had a lot to say about this story in the preseason. Now not so much. Wonder why?

21. Rick Spielman is a Charlatan says: Oct 23, 2013 4:37 PM

rickyspanish says:Oct 23, 2013 4:23 PM

Aaron Rodgers looks small in that picture.

——-

That’s because it’s not Rodgers, it’s Christian Ponder. Didn’t you see him with his little boy haircut for his big Michele Tafoya sideline interview?

22. mn1288 says: Oct 23, 2013 4:37 PM

I’m sure he is really just kicking himself for turning down the $14M a year that GB offered him before the start of last season. I’m a Packer fan, and was a Jennings fan, and I think that was absurd money considering his availability. He also rarely “took over” a game. We can all play MMQB, but I’m sure both sides wish it had played out differently.

23. golforepar says: Oct 23, 2013 4:38 PM

Greg is only admitting that the grass is NOT greener on the other side of the Mississippi!

24. newlydead says: Oct 23, 2013 4:40 PM

tokyosandblaster says:
    Oct 23, 2013 3:58 PM
    I think Jennings explodes this week for 4 catches and 35 yards.

—————-

^^^^^^ awesome!

25. maestro71 says: Oct 23, 2013 4:40 PM

Favre made several average receivers look like superstars (Freeman, Brooks). Rodgers is no different. Jennings is now an average receiver catching an occasional pass from several below average QB’s on a terrible team. Meanwhile Green Bay keeps trucking along in 1st place while missing half their receiving corps.

26. nodindenver says: Oct 23, 2013 4:41 PM

If my memory is correct, didn’t Jennings’ sister also talk some trash about Rogers last year. Sounds like the whole family should stop and think before opening mouth or hitting send! Those type of guys are usually the ones packing to go somewhere when anybody worth a crap is leaving!

27. thatswhatimsayin says: Oct 23, 2013 4:42 PM

I think Jennings is plenty happy with his decision to leave Green Bay. That place is killing receivers. He may not be walking by now

28. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Oct 23, 2013 4:42 PM

I find it ironic that Packer fans are saying someone else doesn’t have class.

29. elcapitanfiscal says: Oct 23, 2013 4:43 PM

Jennings is like damn whyd i leave..

Im sure cheeseheads are enjoying the horrible year he is having and will enjoy seeing the look on his face as GB rolls over them

30. coachjohnharbaugh says: Oct 23, 2013 4:43 PM

the minnesota vikings are on national teevee again this week

i cant wait

31. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Oct 23, 2013 4:43 PM

I’ve forgiven Greg. I think we can all move on now.

32. GenXJay says: Oct 23, 2013 4:44 PM

Greg is a Winner come Sunday.

33. golforepar says: Oct 23, 2013 4:44 PM

Jennings was well liked in Green Bay so we will never forget you Craig!

34. smedley61 says: Oct 23, 2013 4:48 PM

I’m thinking Greg Jennings hears some boos in Minnesota this week. I’ll bet that stadium is filled with Packer fans.

35. shaggytoodle says: Oct 23, 2013 4:49 PM

jonny42671 says: Oct 23, 2013 4:30 PM

_____

Now hold on a moment. I understand Jennings and Favre, are probably the most fresh in your mind. There are plenty of other players that have moved on, Kampman, Wahle, Wells.

I cheered for Favre like mad when he was in NY.

When you go the Minny. to try and stick it to the Packers. Its not going to go over well.

Don’t even try to compare the Colts vs. Broncos to this. Do you think Moss would be cheered for if he went to the Packers in FA?

Besides I always have, and will always continue to cheer for Packers and Boo the Vikings regardless of who is in those jerseys.

36. assuredmutualdestruction says: Oct 23, 2013 4:50 PM

@granadafan

“assuredmutualdestruction says: Oct 23, 2013 4:05 PM
    ===========================================

———————————————————

totally agree

37. schmitty2 says: Oct 23, 2013 5:04 PM

“No, man, God has blessed me to move on from that

Moving from Rodgers to Ponder/Cassel/Freeman is not a blessing from God.

38. whatjusthapped says: Oct 23, 2013 5:24 PM

Jennings had no choice but to back pedal. His head coach has already gone on record that he didn’t like the snarky comments.

Jennings showed his true colors when he did make the comments and in many ways, its similar to all the Vikings trolls claiming NFC titles and deep playoff runs based on the fact that they qualified for the playoffs last year and added 3 #1 draft picks. Now both Jennings and the trolls have to live with the reality of the 2013 season, 1-5 and going nowhere. Both misjudged the potential of this team and both don’t have much to look forward to in the next few years. Both are deserving of their fates.

39. onbucky96 says: Oct 23, 2013 5:27 PM

I sense a distubance in The Force. Yes, I sense a fake bro hug pre and post game is coming. After all, you can fix a bromance too. With Old Spice Champion(cue the whistle).

40. mackcarrington says: Oct 23, 2013 5:41 PM

Jennings has decided to embrace the suck.

41. Deb says: Oct 23, 2013 7:42 PM

Maybe football teams need to conduct exit interviews the way corporations do. That way players can vent confidentially to HR before they leave and might not be tempted to make fools of themselves ranting to the press about former coaches and players. It’s always so awkward when you face those guys again, whether it’s opposing them on the field or once again finding yourselves in the same locker room.

42. thereyougo2 says: Oct 23, 2013 9:26 PM

What he say about Mr. Rogers?

43. NakedCowboy! says: Oct 24, 2013 3:26 AM

Thats a photo of Jennings saying thank you for $$$47.5 mil contract.

44. filthymcnasty1 says: Oct 24, 2013 9:11 AM

I doubt any of the Packers are even thinking about Jennings and the Vikings. They’re concentrating on themselves, and what they have to do to beat the Bears next weekend.