Sean Combs once again says he wants to own an NFL team

Combs Getty Images

Stop us if you’ve heard this one before.  Actually, you may not remember it, but you have heard this one before.

Three years ago, Sean Combs said he wants to own an NFL team.  Earlier this week, Combs reiterated his goal.

“I love sports, but I’m more of a owner type of guy, so I have aspirations to become — which it will happen — I will become the first African-American majority owner,” Combs told Bloomberg TV.  “Not having a small stake but actually owning an NFL team.  I think it’s time for that.  A majority of players that are in the NFL are African-American, but there are no African-American owners.  So that’s one of my dreams.”

With an estimated net worth of $580 million, Combs arguably wouldn’t have the cash to pull it off any time soon.  As franchise values exceed $1 billion, it would be a challenge for Combs to come up with the kind of dollars needed to acquire a majority stake in an NFL team — which technically can be done by owning less than half of the total interest.

Still, there’s a difference between having an estimated net worth of $580 million and the ability to raise $300 million in cash, and to line up enough investors for the rest.

While Combs, who turns 44 in early November, likely will have more money as time goes by, NFL franchise values are going up even faster.  That will make it even harder to acquire controlling interest in an NFL franchise.  (The last two men to buy NFL teams, Jimmy Haslam and Shahid Khan, have an estimated net worth of $1.45 billion and $3.1 billion, respectively.)

Some think Jay Z, who launched a sports agency earlier this year, would like to own an NFL team.  Jay Z’s net worth is only (only?) $475 million; his wife’s money is believed to make them a billionaire couple.

Combs isn’t interested in starting a sports agency of his own.

When I get the calls, ‘Well, we need to do Bad Boy Sports,’ I’m like, ‘No, that’s not my lane,'” Combs said. “I stay in my lane. This is the lane that I want to do. And I’m just me; I do my own thing.”

If that’s the case, he needs to stay in the “make as much money as I possibly can” lane, and hope he gets to the point where he has the cash to buy a team before the bar moves too much higher.

Permalink 34 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
34 Responses to “Sean Combs once again says he wants to own an NFL team”
  1. touchdownroddywhite says: Oct 23, 2013 8:10 AM

He might not be able to pull it off on his own, but with a partner such as Curtis Jackson he certainly could. I could see them owning the Jets…

2. runtheball says: Oct 23, 2013 8:12 AM

He will own a team the way Jay Z owned half a percent of the nets but everyone said he was the owner.

3. doctorrustbelt says: Oct 23, 2013 8:16 AM

Owning an NFL franchise isn’t like owning a record label and stealing riffs and beats.

4. jrmbadger says: Oct 23, 2013 8:17 AM

I doubt that he’d be any worse of an owner than say Zygi Wilf, Al Davis (toward the end), or Jerry Jones.

5. helix828 says: Oct 23, 2013 8:29 AM

Too bad his lane wasn’t “Not ruining rap in the 90’s”.

6. stealthscorpio says: Oct 23, 2013 8:31 AM

Money just gets you in the game. Supposedly there is other critera. I don’t think he could pass the background check, and that is putting it mildly.

7. daubs17 says: Oct 23, 2013 8:44 AM

go away

8. kane337 says: Oct 23, 2013 8:44 AM

NFL owners are in the billionaire’s club. P Diddy will need to well exceed that value before they will even consider him. Good luck to him though. He’s a smart cat.

9. artmonk81 says: Oct 23, 2013 8:51 AM

So he wants to own an NFL team because he is an “African-American” and no other African American has ever owned an NFL team? Why does race have to be brought up? Why does it matter whether he is black or white? People wonder why racism is still an issue…because “African Americans” won’t let it go!!! By the way Puffy, you are an American! I’m not a Swedish-American or a German-American. I’m an American and you are an American! Gesh!

10. godofwine330 says: Oct 23, 2013 8:55 AM

Being a Black dude, I would like to see it happen. Hopefully it is a better venture into ownership than Bob Johnson & Michael Jordan’s Bobcats which are a joke franchise. If he can do it, good for him, but don’t do it just to do it, and don’t be there just for the sake of saying that you have a chair there. Do it, get there and succeed there, get a title there.

stealthscorpio spoke of a background check, I don’t think that will be a problem. As of right now, all of his money is legal. I can’t speak for his early money, but didn’t the Kennedy’s early money come from the mob and illegal businesses? If he has the money or can rustle it up I say good for him.

11. deathmonkey41 says: Oct 23, 2013 8:59 AM

Is he just going to steal someone else’s team and then talk over it?

12. baltimoresnativeson says: Oct 23, 2013 9:01 AM

This guy is the definition of self made millionaire.
    Started with nothing. And I mean NOTHING.
    Might eventually become a self made billionaire.
    I think he will be a majority owner in his 60’s.

13. 23rdusernameused says: Oct 23, 2013 9:04 AM

please no!

14. mp4philly says: Oct 23, 2013 9:07 AM

@stealthscorpio Where were you when they wrote these articles about Jimmy Haslam? His background is squeaky clean, eh?

15. bluebongzilla says: Oct 23, 2013 9:08 AM

I would say he should buy the Ravens but he’d probably be just another billionaire that would accept taxpayer money to promote the unflushable turd known as Obamacare.

16. bluebongzilla says: Oct 23, 2013 9:12 AM

No way the NFL should let this talentless turd own a team.

17. vaphinfan says: Oct 23, 2013 9:15 AM

I wonder if he would change the team’s colors to gold and silver?

18. conormacleod says: Oct 23, 2013 9:23 AM

Me too Sean. Me too.

19. mdpgc says: Oct 23, 2013 9:24 AM

Sean Combs just started Revolt TV, which is a new music cable network (like what MTV was back in day when they actually played videos and not reality TV shows). RevoltTV started on Monday, and the all-music channel is currently in the homes of about 22 million Comcast subscribers and 12 million Time Warner Cable customers. So by the time Forbes makes the list for next year, Combs should be close to being worth a billion.

20. jeffsnow7 says: Oct 23, 2013 9:36 AM

how about Jay Z Puff and Beyonce all come together and own a team…

475 + 580 + beyonce thats a Billion right?

21. abninf says: Oct 23, 2013 9:42 AM

Why does he have to make skin color an issue?

22. officialmiamidolphinsspokesperson says: Oct 23, 2013 9:57 AM

artmonk81 says: Oct 23, 2013 8:51 AM

—————————————————

Bro why are you upset? he didnt say anything racist at all and your freaking out about “how racism still exists because african americans wont let it go”

all the guy said was he wanted to be the first african american to own a team. Whats wrong with that? would you rather thu guy sell drugs in the streets? whats wrong with aspiring to be the first to do something.

Thats where the problem lies. People like you are so “afraid” of dealing with the issues of race that you freak out whenever a term like “african american” is mentioned. As REAL Americans we should love to see mixed races enjoy success. im glad we have more hispanic players balling in this league i wish we had more asians and europeans as well.

People have to break barriers

23. ronmexicoaquafina says: Oct 23, 2013 10:02 AM

Quite honestly, it bothers me that his comments turn it into a racial point-of-view. It’s old, it’s tired and it’s a reminder that the double-standard that exists in regards to race will continue to divide our country, including sports.

24. bobnelsonjr says: Oct 23, 2013 10:18 AM

It takes more than cash to buy a team.

Prospective owners have to be voted into an exclusive group by super majority of the owners.

In theory character matters (despite Jerry Jones and Daniel Snyder).

25. losangelesbillsofbuffalo says: Oct 23, 2013 10:31 AM

If there’s one thing I know about P. Diddy, it’s that no one would have ever heard of him if it wasn’t for The Notorious B.I.G. Biggie’s immense talents are the sole reason for Puff making it onto the scene, and his unfortunate and untimely death is the sole contributor that lept Combs into “Superstardom”. Quite frankly, I’ve never been impressed. However, if it wasn’t for Combs, we may have never seen the greatest rapper of all time, so we can all admire him for that.

26. ravishingronald says: Oct 23, 2013 10:40 AM

You all forget that the NFL vetts potential owners for past criminal and organized crime history.

27. mythaimyke says: Oct 23, 2013 10:58 AM

Ha, Ha Ha!!!!! No chance that will ever happen! Yah we all dream, but get real and get out of the sport page! It’s not your thing!

28. cincinasty87 says: Oct 23, 2013 11:21 AM

You and me both Puffy

29. genericcommenter says: Oct 23, 2013 12:01 PM

——————————————–

Don’t forget ripping off artists and getting their publishing. Pretty sure he (and many labels) made more money from that than stealing beats- especially since no one who sells more than a couple hundred records gets away with not paying for sampling and covering.

30. malvaren18 says: Oct 23, 2013 12:32 PM

He is the type of person that sets bars, so if he says he will own a team he will definitely do it.

31. phukurmouf says: Oct 23, 2013 12:46 PM

Might as well. Leagues already a circus

32. seattlelibtard says: Oct 23, 2013 1:20 PM

He’ll force the team to wear Sean John clothes.

33. mackcarrington says: Oct 23, 2013 1:56 PM

The Buffalo Bills may be available sometime soon. The Los Angeles stadium situation may come to fruition sometime soon.
    With some other investors/partners, you never know.

34. Mr. Wright 212 says: Oct 23, 2013 3:14 PM

Puff would be the type of owner who would give a guy a big contract, show up at every press conference speaking for him, and steal his signing bonus.

Mack, Big (RIP), Mase, Faith, Total and Carl Thomas all agree.