Steve Smith turns the tables on Janoris Jenkins

Smith AP

After Sunday’s win by the Panthers over the Rams, Carolina receiver Steve Smith made it clear that he wasn’t impressed by the efforts of St. Louis cornerback Janoris Jenkins to obtain information about Smith’s wife via Google.

Smith apparently has returned the favor, putting “Janoris Jenkins” into the search bar at the Internet’s top search tool.

“It sounds like he needs to wear some condoms,” Smith told WFNZ in Charlotte.

Smith also elaborated on his objection to trash talk that touches on family members.

“When I go against an opponent I talk,” Smith said, “but I’m not going to Google a guy’s wife’s name and try to find out little things.  And it wasn’t just him, it was other guys on that defense that was saying it. . . .  I would never walk up to a guy, first of all I really don’t know outside of watching him on video, and Google his wife’s name and her birthdate . . . in the name of sportsmanship or gamesmanship. . . .  To me I take that as clear disrespect.”

We agree with Smith, and we hope that other players who have tried to take a page from the old John Randle playbook realize that, with Steve Smith, it’s going to backfire.

Permalink 44 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Home, Rumor Mill, St. Louis Rams
44 Responses to “Steve Smith turns the tables on Janoris Jenkins”
  1. captainspangled says: Oct 23, 2013 1:04 PM

Steve Smith is a Hall of Famer.

2. captainspangled says: Oct 23, 2013 1:05 PM

And quite possibly baddest dude to play the game.

3. touchdownroddywhite says: Oct 23, 2013 1:05 PM

That’s not gamesmanship. Nor is it upmanship. It’s just classless.

There’s a book on these things ya know!

4. peopletrains says: Oct 23, 2013 1:07 PM

Served!

5. Foghorn The IKonoclast says: Oct 23, 2013 1:08 PM

Steve is way beyond cool.

6. fm31970 says: Oct 23, 2013 1:10 PM

I hope the Panthers play the Jets this season…

7. captainspangled says: Oct 23, 2013 1:13 PM

Seriously. This guy is awesome. Imagine where his career production would be at if he didn’t play on all those poor, ground based Carolina teams all those years without help?

As a guy who has been watching the game a long time, he’s one of the most talented wideouts I’ve ever seen. He deserves a spot in the Hall. Hope the media doesn’t let big market bias keep him out when the time comes.

8. jasncondit says: Oct 23, 2013 1:15 PM

Really wish people wouldn’t say I’m suprised so and so is dating another race. Wish for the day when no one gives a crap.

9. ttommytom says: Oct 23, 2013 1:16 PM

That’s a Jeff Fisher team. No class.

I can’t believe he is on the comp. committee and was once a co-chair. What a joke.

10. goodellgate says: Oct 23, 2013 1:17 PM

Steve Smith allways finds himself in the middle of fights. I guess all the defenders hate his wife..

11. pathsovglory says: Oct 23, 2013 1:21 PM

if u trash talk Steve Smith u better make sure u win.

Janoris got toasted and now he’s paying the price.

12. goodellsadouche says: Oct 23, 2013 1:21 PM

I love it when Steve sucker punches his teammates at practice! I wish he’d do it more often

13. cobraiv says: Oct 23, 2013 1:24 PM

Steve Smith is a PUNK.

14. jonsilver1947 says: Oct 23, 2013 1:27 PM

fm31970 says:
    “I hope the Panthers play the Jets this season…”

OK, I give up, what do the Jets have to do with this post?

15. blmonroe12 says: Oct 23, 2013 1:28 PM

Apparently Jenkins missed the google link that shows Smith isn’t afraid to cave in someone’s face. If I were Jenkins, I’d leave Mr Smith and his wife alone.

16. qdog112 says: Oct 23, 2013 1:31 PM

I’m a Panthers fan and I love Smitty on the field. (most of the time) That said, he is completely NUTS. He looks for a reason to fight and is just as likely to fight a friend as a foe.

In short, he has a Napoleon Complex.

17. thebandit27 says: Oct 23, 2013 1:31 PM

“I would never walk up to a guy, first of all I really don’t know outside of watching him on video, and Google his wife’s name and her birthdate . . . in the name of sportsmanship or gamesmanship. . . . To me I take that as clear disrespect.”

——————————–

No Steve…you just act like every 4-yard catch you make is a Superbowl-winning TD catch, and follow it up by walking over to your opponents’ sideline and mouthing off.

I saw you do this at least 3 different times in week two against Buffalo.

Where was your respect-conscientiousness then?

18. trashymenace says: Oct 23, 2013 1:36 PM

Don’t get me wrong, I like watching Steve Smith play….

But he is the biggest trash talker, instigator in the league. Every time you hear a bunch of whistles after the play you know it is because he is in a fight off camera.

To me it sounds like someone finally out-talked him and he is mad about it. I find it hard to believe that he has any boundaries when he is trash talking.

Good job by Jenkins coming in to the game prepared. Steve Smith has earned any and all trash talk that comes his way.

Also, Steve Smith’s TD dance was awesome, telling Jenkins that he isn’t Deion.

19. assuredmutualdestruction says: Oct 23, 2013 1:36 PM

Smith has the biggest little-man complex in the NFL.

20. tundratommy says: Oct 23, 2013 1:38 PM

You know you’re messed up when SS is rightfully giving you gamesmanship protocol.

21. annes22 says: Oct 23, 2013 1:40 PM

Jenkins is no holy angel himself. Tossed out of Florida so maybe it’s best to keep his mouth shut. He may not like what’s coming to him.

22. hanifmiller says: Oct 23, 2013 1:44 PM

Hey Janoris–that behavior is called stalking.

23. trashymenace says: Oct 23, 2013 1:48 PM

Maybe Steve Smith should disclose everything that he said to Jenkins on the field. … then we’ll see how respectful he is…

24. assuredmutualdestruction says: Oct 23, 2013 1:49 PM

Jenkins will wash out of the league soon…he’s another Pacman Jones. Plenty of skill and zero character.

25. 303bengalguy says: Oct 23, 2013 1:50 PM

How does “beat up his own teammate” NOT sit at or near the top of a search results page involving Smith, which would subsequently make most sane people realize they probably shouldn’t bring his wife into the discussion, of all the things you could conjur up…

/brain-dead.

26. allday420ap says: Oct 23, 2013 2:02 PM

Im a huge Steve Smith fan, but to those assuming hes a HOFer look how long it took the great Cris Carter to get in.

27. GenXJay says: Oct 23, 2013 2:05 PM

has Richard Sherman ever covered Steve Smith?
    I would doubt any action of football is there. Just alot of jaw jacking

28. trashymenace says: Oct 23, 2013 2:09 PM

assuredmutualdestruction says:
    Oct 23, 2013 1:49 PM

———————————

Pacman is still in the league…. he’s had a long career. And Jenkins hasn’t had anywhere near the problems as him.

In fact, since becoming a Pro, Jenkins hasn’t had any reported run-ins with the law.

A lot of these players have zero character and have lengthy careers. (Lawrence Taylor)

I’m not a Rams or Jenkins fan, just sayin.

29. beavertonsteve says: Oct 23, 2013 2:14 PM

Hall of fame for Steve Smith? Looks like some Panthers fans have been hitting the pipe again. Rae Carruth has about as good of a chance. For his entire career Smith has 3 good seasons, 3 average seasons and 6 bad to mediocre seasons. I’m sure the Hall will just be begging to let a guy like that in. The only thing Smith will be remembered for in 20 years is for getting arrested for assaulting his own teammate in a film room.

30. raiders85 says: Oct 23, 2013 2:20 PM

1 Smith is nowhere near a hof player 2 he’s about a class less as it gets 3 I can’t wait to hear his apology in about 2weeks when he’s arrested, beats up a teammate or spits on people dude is a above average wr that’s it he’s certainly not a good sport or classy

31. nolahxc says: Oct 23, 2013 2:20 PM

I love Steve Smith’s intensity. Dude is a beast.

32. schmitty2 says: Oct 23, 2013 2:24 PM

Rams fan here..and I agree that Jenkins was out of line. With that being said Steve Smith using the term “disrespect” towards another player is taking hypocrisy to a whole new level. This man has made a career out of showboating, punching teamates, and getting in many fights. C’mon man!

33. realramsfan1997 says: Oct 23, 2013 2:31 PM

Steve Smith is a punk, n I say this as some 1 who has been a fan of his n has had his back for yrs wen ppl bad mouth him n all(no I’m not a panthers fan) I have never watch a full game of smith till Sunday wen they played my rams. N goin into that game I still had respect for him. Smith needs to grow up there is a thin line between playing till the whistle n playin dirty/being a punk. I took for that whole hint that smith got shot down for a player of his caliber vs a 2nd yr player. He had 4 catches for 60 yards n a TD. Keep in mind he only got the TD after he took a cheap shot on Jenkins wen Jenkins was backed off the play that went away from he n smith n wen Jenkins gaurs was down Smith took a cheap shot n thought Jenkins wasn’t gonna step to him. Smith knows the refs gonna have his back like always n let’s him get away wit dirt. He got a reality check n Jenkins let Smith no he don’t no who he messing wit n smith didn’t like that n didn’t like that a 22yr old didn’t back down from him. So he had to make up anything to justify him being a punk. FYI Jenkins don’t think he prime time. Smith thought ecwas playin prime against prime time the way Jenkins held him in check all game. But after lathers fans celebrated Sam gettin injured there is I surprise they believe wat smith say. Steve Smith GUIs up u on national tv acting like a lol cry baby. If Jenkins did say that stuff as tough as u act u would have didn’t way more then u did. U mad u ran into a real G LOL 😆😹😆. ANYWAY CONGRATS PANTHERS ON THE WIN N WISH U GUYS LUCK THE REST UR SEASON.

34. braczey29 says: Oct 23, 2013 2:33 PM

He’s a soldier!

Loved this guy’s game the other day

35. rajbais says: Oct 23, 2013 3:07 PM

I love that guy!!! He’s a hero to little people.

36. assuredmutualdestruction says: Oct 23, 2013 3:08 PM

trashymenace says:Oct 23, 2013 2:09 PM

assuredmutualdestruction says:
    Oct 23, 2013 1:49 PM

———————————

I’m not a Rams or Jenkins fan, just sayin.
    —————————————————

Give it time…just sayin.

37. sportsbastard says: Oct 23, 2013 3:09 PM

Why is anyone believing anything Smith says? He’s been a punk since his days at Utah. It was a disgrace that he wasn’t thrown out of that game (as he’s the one that started throwing punches). I wish Chris Long had gotten ahold of his punk midget arse.

38. bluebongzilla says: Oct 23, 2013 3:13 PM

“if u trash talk Steve Smith u better make sure u win.”

That’s usually not a problem. It’s. The. Panthers.

39. pilot2011 says: Oct 23, 2013 3:34 PM

Steve Smith is a HOF.

Rodney Pete, Chris Weinke, Jake Delhomme, Matt Moore, Vinny Testeverde, Brian St. Pierre, One of the McCowns, Jimmy Clausen.

The qb’s that threw Steve Smith the ball during Jon Fox’s run first offense for almost a decade.

People can say all they want about his character, but how many 5’9 receivers have you ever seen tripled teamed for a decade?

People can say all they want about his diva attitude, but how many diva’s would stick around for 12 years on the same team that has only be relevant 3 times during that span?

2 more years of 1000 yard seasons and Steve Smith will be in the top 10 receiving yards list in NFL history.

89=HOF

40. thundastormz says: Oct 23, 2013 3:34 PM

I love these morons who come and comment “omg he punched a teammate”. You idiots obviously dont follow Steve Smith. He is one of the best wide outs to play the game and yes he has had some off years when he had QBs like Jimmy Clausen (can’t blame him). Oh and for the guy who said he punched a teammate in the film room….may wanna fact check BEFORE you post.

41. wfederal says: Oct 23, 2013 3:37 PM

beavertonsteve says: Oct 23, 2013 2:14 PM

===================================

He wasn’t arrested for punching Ken Lucas… he was sent home and suspended for 2 games. I like the effort with the Rae Carruth reference though. Points for effort. And where are you getting your 3 good seasons, 3 average… etc stats? Is there a statistician that has kept a database of good, average and mediocre seasons? (Average and Mediocre mean the same thing by the way.) When Ronde Barber retired he was asked who the toughest WR he ever had to guard was. His answer was Steve Smith. Smith is a beast, does his job and gets in the head of DBs.

42. realfootballfan says: Oct 23, 2013 3:51 PM

Jenkins must not know who he was dealing with. Steve Smith hands out butt whippings like Skittles.

43. Mr. Wright 212 says: Oct 23, 2013 3:54 PM

captainspangled says: Oct 23, 2013 1:04 PM

Steve Smith is a Hall of Famer.

241

111

captainspangled says: Oct 23, 2013 1:05 PM

And quite possibly baddest dude to play the game.
    ————–

Smith is a gash. Not a hall of famer, and not even close to what you claim. Panthers fans SMH.

44. bbk1000 says: Oct 24, 2013 6:15 AM

I get where Smith is coming from, but it’s hard to be on his side about anything…..