Adrian Peterson: Hamstring injury has hindered me mentally

Minnesota Vikings v Chicago Bears Getty Images

Vikings running back Adrian Peterson returned to a limited practice on Thursday after sitting out Wednesday’s session with a hamstring issues that’s been bothering him for several weeks.

Peterson said he bruised the hamstring more than a month ago and informed the team last week about the problem because he was feeling increased tightness. Peterson played against the Giants after being listed as probable, his first appearance on the injury report with the hamstring issue, but managed just 28 yards on 13 carries as the Vikings slumped to a 23-7.

Peterson said Thursday that he feels the hamstring injury has impacted him mentally in terms of not cutting loose on the field, something he doesn’t think will be the case against the Packers this weekend.

“I feel like it was definitely hurting a little bit,” Peterson said, via the Minneapolis Star-Tribune. “I feel like it was more in my mind. It’s strange to say that, but I think I was kind of holding myself back, not being able to stretch out and really run. I think I was kind of hindering myself. Now that I’m able to be more relaxed and got a clearer mind, I think I’ll be able to go out there and go full speed.”

Getting more from Peterson this week would make the life of Christian Ponder, Josh Freeman, Tommy Kramer or whoever the Vikings stick at quarterback this week considerably easier, although there’s something of a chicken and egg situation because better quarterbacking would open more space for Peterson on the field. Wherever you come down on that question, a healthy Peterson in body and mind is something the Vikings absolutely need to have if they’d like to increase their win total anytime soon.

Permalink 31 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill
31 Responses to “Adrian Peterson: Hamstring injury has hindered me mentally”
  1. glennsyank13 says: Oct 24, 2013 3:46 PM

Hamstring? Quit making excuses! It’s easy to run for 100 yards a game in the NFL

Sincerely,
    Eddie Lacy

2. deltaoracle says: Oct 24, 2013 3:46 PM

Bobby the Brain Heenan would call it a “Ham and Egger” situation.

3. coachkilla6 says: Oct 24, 2013 3:48 PM

Adrian Peterson: Having to play behind 3 3rd string QB’s has made me mental.

4. rt61 says: Oct 24, 2013 3:55 PM

The God of Football doesn’t appreciate RBs stating, “100 yard games are easy.”

5. esotericmindguy says: Oct 24, 2013 3:57 PM

The Vikings are a mess. A billion dollar stadium for these clowns?

6. tokyosandblaster says: Oct 24, 2013 4:07 PM

Oh. So that’s it.

7. hansenbrothers says: Oct 24, 2013 4:15 PM

So how close is he to getting those 2,500 yards he guaranteed?

8. filthymcnasty1 says: Oct 24, 2013 4:21 PM

This one time, Ponder bruised his arm.

9. jcbadger34 says: Oct 24, 2013 4:27 PM

Hey Adrian, only 1989 yards to go to reach that 2,500 yard mark! You just have to average….198.9 yards per game to do it!

LOL Vikings.

10. tennesseeoilers says: Oct 24, 2013 4:28 PM

Note to self: AP is human after all.

– Titans Fan (who’s embarrassed to admit that at one time he thought Chris Johnson was a better back than AP)

11. blowpackblow says: Oct 24, 2013 4:31 PM

That and my all 4 of my quarterbacks really suck….

12. TBaySlim says: Oct 24, 2013 4:32 PM

Sincerely,
    Eddie Lacy

****************************************
    Let me know when you average 5.0 ypc in a season let alone a career, have an MVP trophy and a couple rushing titles and hold the NFL record for yards in a game……..its ok ill wait…………………still waiting………………oh ok maybe just come shine my trophies instead and watch some of my highlights of running past your teamates

-AP-

13. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Oct 24, 2013 4:35 PM

This is the sixth time in Adrian’s career that he has gone two straight games without either 100 yards rushing or a touchdown in either game. In the previous five instances, the third game was always a good one. Just sayin’.

14. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Oct 24, 2013 4:37 PM

jcbadger34 says:Oct 24, 2013 4:27 PM

______

He could probably do it if he could play the Packers in every game.

15. thegregwitul says: Oct 24, 2013 4:37 PM

RBs of the NFL take note; the football gods do not appreciate statistical guarantees. Look at Chris Johnson for the extreme case of hubris, but even AP, the best in the business, is not immune from their wrath.

2,500 rushing yards this season? I’d love it from a fantasy football perspective, but let’s get to 1,250 first.

16. valhallarising says: Oct 24, 2013 4:38 PM

That’s funny. The Vikings coaching staff has mentally hindered the entire team.

17. backdapack4evr says: Oct 24, 2013 4:46 PM

All greats reach a time in their career when things with your body change.
    It was great watching him but as a Packer fan I will be glad when he retires!!

18. whatjusthapped says: Oct 24, 2013 4:50 PM

2013 will go down as a bruised hammy, noodle arm and turf toe away from a Superbowl.

Two out of the three will heal by next season.

19. irishgary says: Oct 24, 2013 5:00 PM

TBaySlim says:
    Oct 24, 2013 4:32 PM

Sincerely,
    Eddie Lacy

****************************************

-AP

Are you shining a Lombardi Trophy???????? Oh no thats right theres not one up there.

Eddies chances of having a ring are a hell of a lot better than AP

20. purplepunisher says: Oct 24, 2013 5:15 PM

Vikes 34-31…. and ill be laughing at all these same buttpacker fans just like i did the last time Ponder played the buttpackers! LMAO!!

21. filthymcnasty1 says: Oct 24, 2013 5:16 PM

Eddie Lacy already has a couple of championship rings.

Meanwhile, back in the land of contention, the Packers are diligently preparing for their big rivalry game with their eyes squarely upon the task at hand – beating the Bears next week.

22. purpleguy says: Oct 24, 2013 5:24 PM

You’d think AP played for the Packers or something with all the Pack fan comments on this article. Then again, Green Bay is the place where hammy’s go to die — or at least be pulled all too frequently.

23. thepvyharvin says: Oct 24, 2013 5:25 PM

These posts are a prime example of what the world already knew….Lombardi Losers are obsessed with the Mighty Vikings. Unemployed, drunk sloths hanging in the village library to get computer access to our every post. When AD and Ponder beat you Sunday we will be out in full force to mock your pathetic team….please trade your food stamps for a punching bag and curb the domestic violence that follows your every loss. We feel sorry for you…

24. tokyosandblaster says: Oct 24, 2013 5:45 PM

Thepvyharvin is actually a product of brother sister mating.

Move along. Nothing out of the ordinary for Minnesotans.

25. jrmbadger says: Oct 24, 2013 6:12 PM

Rick Spielman is a Magician says:
    Oct 24, 2013 4:37 PM
    jcbadger34 says:Oct 24, 2013 4:27 PM

______

He could probably do it if he could play the Packers in every game.
    =========================

I don’t know about that… last I checked Green Bay had the #3 rushing defense in the league.

26. sportsfan18 says: Oct 24, 2013 6:46 PM

Too bad so sad…

The man IS the best running back in the league… but he is still able to make excuses like anyone else and that is what this is.

27. stellarperformance says: Oct 24, 2013 7:00 PM

Maybe Peterson is mentally hindered due to the endless stream of phone calls coming in from multi-city one-night stand bimbos who think he may be the father of their kids. What a class act he is……for sure!

28. GenXJay says: Oct 24, 2013 7:52 PM

ShAaron has no emotional vulnerabilities.
    I wonder what gb wideout(s) catches the hospital throw this Sunday?

29. stellarperformance says: Oct 24, 2013 8:17 PM

GenXJay says:
    Oct 24, 2013 7:52 PM
    ShAaron has no emotional vulnerabilities.
    I wonder what gb wideout(s) catches the hospital throw this Sunday?
    //////////////////////////

****************************************

-AP

Eddies chances of having a ring are a hell of a lot better than AP

*******************************************

Uh- Eddy Lacy had nothing to do with any NFL trophies

31. 4thqtrsaint says: Oct 25, 2013 10:37 PM

His son died last week. Anybody remember that?