C.J. Spiller says there’s “no feud” with Doug Marrone

C.J. Spiller AP

Bills coach Doug Marrone and running back C.J. Spiller haven’t been sending the same message about the running back’s ankle recently.

Spiller said that he’s feeling “10 times better,” but Marrone suggested that sitting Spiller might be in the team’s best interest this week because they’ve been playing him at less than full speed and getting less than Spiller’s best as a result. Spiller did only individual drills on Thursday and said afterward that anyone perceiving a disconnect between him and the coach is barking up the wrong tree.

“I have no problem with Coach Marrone. I think we have a great relationship. Concerning my injury, I think we’re both on the same page. He wants what’s best for me, and he also wants what’s best for this team. He’s going to make the right decision,” Spiller said, via Mike Rodak of ESPN.com. “And I’m going to back him. So there’s definitely no feud, no miscommunication.”

Marrone said Thursday that Spiller doesn’t look as good as he says he feels, which adds to the feeling that the Bills might opt to let Spiller rest this week in hopes that avoiding even limited involvement in the offense results in a better Spiller come Week Nine.

Fred Jackson returned to a limited practice after his knee injury kept him off the field on Wednesday and stands to do the heavy lifting in the backfield this weekend regardless of Spiller’s status since he’s been the lead dog in the backfield since Spiller got hurt.

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Home, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill
8 Responses to “C.J. Spiller says there’s “no feud” with Doug Marrone”
  1. mackcarrington says: Oct 24, 2013 4:45 PM

It was obvious to anyone who watched the Miami game that Spiller had no business playing that game. After every carry he limped to the sideline. Spiller, of course, was being the “good soldier” and wanted to contribute. He obviously lobbied very hard to play in that game, against his own, and the team’s, best long term interests.
    No, he shouldn’t be mad at Marrone for anything. He should be mad at himself for being so hard-headed and stubborn.
    He probably wanted to appease his “fantasy owners” also.

2. doctorrustbelt says: Oct 24, 2013 4:46 PM

Why rush him back when they still have Freddy.

3. corkspop says: Oct 24, 2013 4:50 PM

Sounds like a non-issue, so drop it. Player is hurt but has a competitive spirit. There should be more guys like that.

4. marvsleezy says: Oct 24, 2013 5:42 PM

This is a tough young team that might keep it close against the Saints.

That said, if it was up to me, id rest:

Spiller
    Jackson
    Stevie
    Mario
    Kiko
    and Lewis.

Use this as an extra bye week…

I like the Bills, but a win would be crazy….
    Just trust me.

5. EJ says: Oct 24, 2013 6:01 PM

Spiller not only looked uncomfortable after each run, but by the looks of the plays he was involved in that he was there to serve as a decoy. Putting Spiller as a pawn opened up the passing game to make things a bit easier on Lewis, who struggled whenever the Dolphins dropped their LB’s into coverage. I know rest is probably the best thing for him right now, but forcing the Saints to stack the box this Sunday is Buffalo’s only hope in coming away with a W. So letting Spiller step in on first and second downs will play a critical role in giving Lewis a shot up against man to man coverage. Without it, the Bills will quickly fall behind to the high scoring Drew Brees Offense. This is by far Buffalo’s toughest opponent yet this year.

6. stonefish67 says: Oct 24, 2013 6:17 PM

Heal him plus Jackson ios doing a great job.
    That,s why you have two running backs, or SHOULD have two running backs.

7. matt24bucs says: Oct 24, 2013 6:30 PM

What is it with these whiny, immature goofball athletes that can’t handle anything that doesn’t- in their minds- “go their way”?? Just shut up, be a “professional”, and take your MILLIONS, and do your job.

8. rationalthinker82 says: Oct 25, 2013 11:57 AM

matt24bucs says:
    Oct 24, 2013 6:30 PM
    ……………………………………….

That quote epitomizes a guy doing his job. I think you’re the one who needs to shut up.