Cam Newton breaks out the Superman cleats

Newton AP

If/when Cam Newton scores a touchdown tonight, he won’t have to pretend to open his shirt to reveal the “S” beneath it.  Instead, he’ll just have to point to his shoes.

The NFL Network pregame show included images of Newton wearing specially-made Under Armour cleats bearing the Superman colors and logo.

If Newton wears the shoes in the game, he undoubtedly will be fined.  Last month, Newton was fined $10,000 for wearing visor clips that showed the Under Armour logo.

Two weeks ago, the NFL allowed Bears receiver Brandon Marshall to wear green shoes in honor of Mental Health Awareness week.  He was fined $10,500.

UPDATE 8:36 p.m. ET:  It appears that Newton ditched the Superman cleats before the game started.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Home, Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
24 Responses to “Cam Newton breaks out the Superman cleats”
  1. slick1ru2 says: Oct 24, 2013 8:33 PM

Glennon has Under Dog shoes.

2. thestrategyexpert says: Oct 24, 2013 8:39 PM

I like the Superman shoes better, just change them for the whole team.

3. jimnaizeeum says: Oct 24, 2013 8:39 PM

Superman ain’t 3 & 3

4. steelcityjoker says: Oct 24, 2013 8:44 PM

He should also be sued for using the superman persona “without expressed written consent” from Warner Brothers or DC Comics.

This guy is an idiot anyway…”ooo, i’m the best player on a crappy team……”

Loser.

5. stuartscottslazyeyeball says: Oct 24, 2013 8:49 PM

I went to my first Panthers home game last weekend and I was really impressed. The stadium was awesome, the fans were really nice, and the city is clean. Much better than went I went to see my Ravens play in Buffalo and got heckled and jostled the whole time by a bunch of drunk mouth breathing simpletons.

6. f1restarter says: Oct 24, 2013 8:49 PM

Rumor has it that Emperor Goodell threatened to have Cam beheaded if he dared to wear any “unauthorized” piece of equipment.

7. smokingconch says: Oct 24, 2013 8:54 PM

“Two weeks ago, the NFL allowed Bears receiver Brandon Marshall to wear green shoes in honor of Mental Health Awareness week.”

The NFL allowed Brandon Marshall to wear those cleats in the same way my local police department allows me to drive 25 mph over the speed limit.

8. rongfo says: Oct 24, 2013 8:56 PM

Newton always wears different cleats for warmup than for the game. Just another QB pregame ritual, nothing to see here.

9. thestrategyexpert says: Oct 24, 2013 9:01 PM

So you buy the permission to use them. Now we all wear Superman shoes. And if Cam has any ideas for other wardrobe changes it sounds like he has some fresh ideas. He can feel free to suggest a new team name too if he has a good one. I’m with it.

10. sajeddk says: Oct 24, 2013 9:26 PM

If the nfl allowed Marshall to wear the shoes then why was he fined…

11. TheNaturalMevs says: Oct 24, 2013 9:27 PM

Cam always wears some type of flashy cleat for his warm-up. He always changes to the game cleats for the game. Pay more attention to Panthers football.

12. thestrategyexpert says: Oct 24, 2013 9:37 PM

Carolina Caped Crusaders? Can the team get a tiny slice of equity in the comic franchise?

13. whosyourdaddy2013 says: Oct 24, 2013 10:02 PM

Sorry Cam but you are nowhere NEAR superman. You’re a one hit wonder who has already been passed up by even younger more talented qbs. You can be aquaman tho?

14. thestrategyexpert says: Oct 24, 2013 10:03 PM

Nobody can stop the CCC except for maybe the Washington Avengers!

Dan Snyder would like to know what the price is to buy the whole dang company.

15. thestrategyexpert says: Oct 24, 2013 10:12 PM

Sorry that was actually kind of silly for me to say. Since DC is still independently owned it makes more sense for them to be the Washington Justice League. I was just thinking Carolina beat them to the punch and they went with that last available new highly marketable hot team name left for easy business exploitation. And of course to have some new actors that have secret identities as superstar QBs. You can’t make this stuff up, it’s real baby.

May the force be with you if you are the 3rd team to jump into the mix and evolve into a Star Wars themed team.

16. cutlers05 says: Oct 24, 2013 10:28 PM

And week after week the NFL golden boy Tom Brady wears Under Armour gloves visible to everyone on national TV.

17. pacopicopiedra says: Oct 24, 2013 10:36 PM

I hope my team never has a QB who feels the need for a wardrobe change between warm ups and kickoff . That’s pathetic. I like him less every time he does anything.

18. mn1288 says: Oct 24, 2013 10:42 PM

yeah, what? he was allowed to wear them but then fined 11k? so really, he wore them against the rules and the no fun league fined him. He wasn’t allowed.

19. vaphinfan says: Oct 24, 2013 10:54 PM

I would just like to see Carolina make a first down and not point or act like fools afterwards.

20. rogerrodgers says: Oct 25, 2013 2:20 AM

super mediocre man

21. winorlose6burgh says: Oct 25, 2013 3:03 AM

What a joke 3 and 3 and I suck I’m gonna wear these shoes to get mentioned somewhere :D

22. thundastormz says: Oct 25, 2013 3:41 AM

Lol @ the Cam haters! Ace Boogie must have shredded their team! Haters gon Hate. Ballets gon Ball!

23. sajeddk says: Oct 25, 2013 9:45 PM

Throwing gloves maybe different otherwise a lot of players in the league need to be fend for wearing under armor gloves….the gloves all have the nfl logo on them so I suspect they are approved

24. ehawley01 says: Oct 28, 2013 10:05 PM

Hey, I’m all for free enterprise, If this makes him an extra million so what, He may need the capital in the future, If the rest of the season goes as expected, and they play the really good teams, we get to see just how good Cam really is or how bad he really is. May need that money for future unemployment!