Don’t talk to Brandon Jacobs about fantasy football

Brandon Jacobs AP

While Giants running back Brandon Jacobs referred to a death threat on Twitter as “just a kid being dumb,” he also thinks fantasy football has gotten away from the fun hobby it used to be.

Jacobs posted a photo on his own Twitter page of a message he received demanding two touchdowns and 50 yards, followed by some inarticulate but obvious threats against him and his family.

The account from which the threat was sent has apparently been deleted, but Jacobs said the underlying importance on his individual stats has made some fans lose sight of the big picture, calling fantasy football a “huge problem.”

“When you say stuff like that and think it’s a joke, it’s a problem,” Jacobs said, via Ebenezer Samuel of the New York Daily News. “It’s a good thing he was where he was at that time. . . .

“That’s all people ever talk about. You sit down to eat at a restaurant and people say, ‘Hey you, I got you on my fantasy team, you gotta do something for me.’ Come on, I’m trying to enjoy my dinner.

Players don’t want to hear anything about fantasy football. We’re not living fantasy football. As far as anything else, we don’t owe anybody.”

Jacobs is fortunate the guy yelling at him didn’t see fit to go to his house, which has happened before.

And the guy who was doing the threatening should probably reassess his life choices, and not just because Brandon Jacobs hasn’t had value in fantasy football for years.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Giants, Rumor Mill
10 Responses to “Don’t talk to Brandon Jacobs about fantasy football”
  1. ashutto20 says: Oct 24, 2013 6:42 AM

If you are counting on Jacobs then your fantasy team is in desperation mode…I’m guessing last place

2. whentheleveonbreaks says: Oct 24, 2013 7:54 AM

Fantasy football does for the NFL what Facebook does for society — nothing positive.

Yay, let’s go and root for a team we despise…

3. duanemccoy says: Oct 24, 2013 8:24 AM

Nobody, not even the players on your team, care about your fantasy football team except for you.

4. allday2k says: Oct 24, 2013 8:36 AM

I don’t know what’s crazier. Threatening a player because of fantasy football, or owning Brandon Jacobs on your fantasy football team. The “fan” is obviously a loser in oh so many ways.

5. helix828 says: Oct 24, 2013 8:41 AM

I think showing up at Brandon Jacobs house would have very different results for someone than showing up at Matt Shaubs house.

6. bmoreravens1012013 says: Oct 24, 2013 9:03 AM

Brandon should be glad that someone would want him on their fantasy team. Why??

7. bluebongzilla says: Oct 24, 2013 9:47 AM

6’4″, 264 but plays like he’s 5’9″, 185.

8. yaryers says: Oct 24, 2013 11:57 AM

Actually, Brandon Jacobs has had fantasy value within the last few years. He had fantasy value last week.

I’m pretty sure he was one of the most added players, and a team doesn’t have to be terrible to want to add depth, or start a marginal RB to fill in for a bye week player.

9. riggz91 says: Oct 24, 2013 1:06 PM

I do like fantasy football but I’m sick of the people who never watched or cared about football before fantasy now talk like they are experts. On Monday at work I love talking about real games, not what the 3rd string rb did for the Jags.

10. kev86 says: Oct 24, 2013 1:32 PM

Brandon will mess you up.