LeSean McCoy: “I didn’t show up” last week

Dallas Cowboys v Philadelphia Eagles Getty Images

There weren’t too many good things to say about the Eagles following their performance against the Cowboys in Week Seven.

Nick Foles struggled before leaving with a concussion, Matt Barkley was even worse and the league’s leading rusher LeSean McCoy couldn’t generate anything in the run game. McCoy has had a tough time getting going in a couple of other games this season, but he said that last Sunday’s performance was his worst in a pretty long time.

“I just wasn’t myself,” McCoy said, via Sheil Kapadia of PhillyMag.com. “I felt like with a game like this where my team needed me and depended on me, I didn’t show up. I started doing just too many individual type of plays, not really going with the plays and just doing my own thing. Just was a little frustrated. I wasn’t really making the plays that I usually make. … I just tried to make too many things happen. Certain plays, from running the ball to screens, different things like that. I felt that was probably my worst performance since my rookie year. But I’ll bounce back this week for sure. Just gotta trust in the scheme. If things are not working out, eventually they’ll break.”

Kapadia looked back at the film to find some spots where McCoy left some yards on the field, but it’s hard to lay the weakness of the running game totally at his feet. The blocking is an essential component and so is quarterback play that can make teams pay when they load up to stop McCoy at every turn. The Eagles didn’t get that last weekend and the result was a 17-3 loss to the Cowboys.

The Giants did a good job against McCoy in the teams’ first meeting of the year, but the Eagles prevailed because Foles threw the ball well and because Michael Vick ran well before injuring his hamstring. They’ll need something similar this weekend, even if Vick’s not quite 100 percent, or the results could look a lot like the Dallas game.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill
14 Responses to “LeSean McCoy: “I didn’t show up” last week”
  1. backdapack4evr says: Oct 24, 2013 10:07 AM

You didn’t show up all year

2. logicalvoicesays says: Oct 24, 2013 10:15 AM

Top 5 RBs in Professional Football : Alfred Morris, Jamal Charles, Matt Forte, CJ Spiller and Mo Jones Drew. In that order.

3. duncanthecat says: Oct 24, 2013 10:17 AM

From the looks of it, neither did anyone else.

4. gopackgo1285 says: Oct 24, 2013 10:19 AM

His best buddy Knowshon did though…

5. dccowboy says: Oct 24, 2013 10:24 AM

If Vick’s hammy is not 100% they should not play him. If they do they are begging for a more serious hamstring injury that will keep him out for a long time.

6. justintuckrule says: Oct 24, 2013 11:04 AM

Now that we finally have an nfl capable mlb, hopefully this isn’t his week either.

7. silvertusked says: Oct 24, 2013 11:24 AM

LeSean sucks

8. Passrusher says: Oct 24, 2013 11:44 AM

What ever your team is doing this year with your new coach ……It ain’t working …

9. granadafan says: Oct 24, 2013 12:14 PM

McCoy has earned the benefit of the doubt. He’s been a beast on offense the past couple of years. Sounds like he had a bad day, acknowledged it, and didn’t try to blame anyone else.

10. birdsfan4ever says: Oct 24, 2013 12:30 PM

So many haters!! Too many to single out. Just want to point out McCoy is leading the league in rushing yards! With 952 yds total offense! After 7 weeks. He is on pace for over 2k yards total offense! And what Chip brought is the #3 ranked offense by yards per game! Its our defense that is not working! Not saying we’re great, but it is our coaches first year in the NFL.

11. woodrree7 says: Oct 24, 2013 1:15 PM

Sorry Shady, as much respect I have for you and your skills, it wasn’t you not showing up last week, Give that Dallas D the credit of stepping up and stopping you, plain and simple, they gave you ZERO room to run.

12. crappygovernment says: Oct 24, 2013 4:31 PM

Bryan Westbrook was very underrated! He carried McNabb for several years along with Jim Johnson’s D.

Westbrook would pop a long TD almost every other game. Shady doesn’t.

13. ejm845 says: Oct 24, 2013 7:47 PM

Alfred morris blows and MJD is well on his way to retirement

14. nitro276 says: Oct 24, 2013 7:55 PM

Last Sunday was Operation: Jam Nick Foles. Run every play out of the gun. McCoy definitely didn’t show. His effort was half what it normally was. Bryce Brown just falls down when he could have broke off a big run. Foles was as inaccurate as all the recievers were proficient at dropping passes. Kelly didn’t defend Foles in the media the day after, claiming he had no answer for Foles poor play.