Logan Ryan’s homage to Marshawn costs $10,000

Lynch

After former Vikings receiver Randy Moss was fined $10,000 for pretending to moon the crowd at Lambeau Field, he brushed off the amount and suggested, “Next time I might shake my d–k.”

As it turns out, it may not have cost him much more than $10,000.

Nine seasons later, Patriots cornerback Logan Ryan was fined a mere $10,000 for grabbing his crotch during an end-zone dive at the end of a 79-yard interception return for a touchdown.  Ryan wasn’t flagged for the offense.

“I don’t want to get into too much detail talking about that, but there are certain things that come over the season that we have to handle in-house, and I think that’s one of those things,” special teams captain Matthew Slater said earlier this week regarding the incident, via the Boston Herald.  “He’s a great kid, and he’s been nothing but respectful since he’s gotten here.  That’s something we just have to handle in-house.”

It’s unclear how it will be handled in house, but it always was clear the league would get involved.  And while there’s nothing trivial about a $10,000 fine (except for Randy Moss), it seemed at the time like conduct that should have resulted in a stiffer more severe penalty.

The move was an apparent homage to Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch, who capped his Richter scale needle-moving playoff touchdown run in early 2011 by making the same move.  He wasn’t fined for the gesture, probably because another player was in the path of the broadcast camera when it happened.

Or maybe Ryan was simply paying tribute to Michael Jackson, a day after the Ohio State band did.

Permalink 20 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, New Orleans Saints, New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks, Top Stories
20 Responses to “Logan Ryan’s homage to Marshawn costs $10,000”
  1. rollinghighwayblues says: Oct 24, 2013 10:59 AM

I totally forgot about the Moss-mooning incident.

That first paragraph made me laugh out loud.

2. CKL says: Oct 24, 2013 11:00 AM

I didn’t see this “celebration” when it happened. I saw it later on the lowlights. I’m with Rodney on this one…I don’t like it.

3. spoilerfutbol says: Oct 24, 2013 11:05 AM

And Rex Ryan was fined for grab Mark Sanchez´s feet

4. jmac1013 says: Oct 24, 2013 11:06 AM

This is the type of article that kept me coming back to PFT.

Now if you leave the political commentary and personal agenda out of the stories this would be the only site I visit for NFL news.

5. jmac1013 says: Oct 24, 2013 11:08 AM

Maybe he just needed to adjust while diving in the endzone. It happens.

6. rgwhodey says: Oct 24, 2013 11:09 AM

If you didn’t see The OSU bands tribute to the king of pop, YouTube it, its worth while, there’s a reason they’re known as the best damn band in the land…

7. kperagine says: Oct 24, 2013 11:17 AM

It was a classy move. At least they won the game……..

8. assuredmutualdestruction says: Oct 24, 2013 11:27 AM

I’m making that Lynch pic the wallpaper on my phone now…lol

9. sportsmeccabi says: Oct 24, 2013 11:42 AM

Marshawn ran through 11 guys twice. He earned that celebration.

10. Go-Hawks! says: Oct 24, 2013 12:15 PM

The “Beast Quake” was a thing of beauty from beginning to end. Even Matt Hasslebeck got out front to block for Lynch.

Definitely earned the celebration. I’m okay with a little bravado in football.

11. capn0bvious says: Oct 24, 2013 12:24 PM

Marshawn Lynch did it right. I noticed it when Ryan did it, it looked phony and forced. I think the NFL is fining him for poor form and execution.

12. marcolamorsa says: Oct 24, 2013 1:01 PM

some how… some way…. Ndamukong Suh gets fined too.

13. tinbender2000 says: Oct 24, 2013 1:42 PM

Can’t blame Marshawn for that, moss grows on everything in Seattle.

14. patsfan1287 says: Oct 24, 2013 2:58 PM

Ok if lynch never got fined then let him go this is total crap me being a patriots fan have seen crap and in 2001 tom Brady’s call for tuck rule was crap but also what if he was trying to pay tribute to Michael get over your selves

15. rebel21das says: Oct 24, 2013 3:44 PM

N F L “No Fun League” Seriously how many people even noticed this when it happened? The Randy Moss Lambeau field mooning incident, much different that was clearly blatantly obvious.

16. azarkhan says: Oct 24, 2013 4:28 PM

He has since apologized so even he realizes it was stupid and crude.

17. rushmatic says: Oct 24, 2013 4:31 PM

Funny, I’m a Pats fan and I didn’t even notice it. How anyone thinks it’s forced and phony is beyond me. Then again, I’m not focusing on certain things in the game.

18. nyjalleffingday says: Oct 24, 2013 5:16 PM

@CKL

Really? I’m a Jets fan and that was about as funny as a Patriot returning a Jet interception 79 yards for a touchdown could possibly get.

HOLD MAH DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII-

19. nygiantstones says: Oct 24, 2013 7:05 PM

“Straight cash, homey”…still one of the best all-time quotes out there.

20. besdayz says: Oct 25, 2013 3:34 PM

Meanwhile a guy who actually tries to injure people with dirty tactics. like Vickerson on Denver who punched the center from the Colts in the knee,
    gets nothing.

Saints get bounty suspended, no injuries seen.

This guy injures someone, no fines, no suspension.

This league only cares about bottom dollar and PR>