Tampa radio station buys 19 “Fire Schiano” billboards

Schiano Getty Images

As the Buccaneers prepare for a rare prime-time game (and the nation is thankful for that), a local radio station has purchased billboards urging that it be coach Greg Schiano’s last.

The message says “Fire Schiano” against a background of flames.

“The ‘Fire Schiano’ billboard is simply a reflection of the Tampa Bay community’s opinion of the Buccaneers’ Head Coach,” said Michael Sharkey, Program Director of 102.5 The Bone WHPT, in a statement released to PFT. “Our listeners have voiced their opinion that they are tired of a team, that on paper, should have a winning record. This billboard isn’t a message to the Buccaneers as much as it is a message to our listeners that we are right there with them.”

The billboard has been installed, according to the station, in 19 locations.

Coincidentally, tonight’s game against the Panthers comes 52 weeks to the day after the then 2-4 Bucs went to Minnesota on a Thursday night and upended the Vikings, 36-17.  This year, they won’t have running back Doug Martin, who had a breakout game on the national stage.

They also don’t have quarterback Josh Freeman, who did enough that night to persuade the Vikings to sign him even after his play dipped down the stretch in 2012 and through the early weeks of 2013.

Permalink 62 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Top Stories
62 Responses to “Tampa radio station buys 19 “Fire Schiano” billboards”
  1. thestrategyexpert says: Oct 24, 2013 3:02 PM

I’m sure Schiano will say this is perfect for motivation to do an even better coaching job than he as already done and he will thank them for their contributions.

2. quietdownandlisten says: Oct 24, 2013 3:04 PM

Sorry Schiano, there’s no such thing as a reset button.

3. tonyugoh says: Oct 24, 2013 3:05 PM

Given that anybody from the outside looking in can tell that he is very, very, very likely to get fired, this seems like kind of a waste of money, no?

4. doctorrustbelt says: Oct 24, 2013 3:07 PM

68 wins – 67 losses at Rutgers

5. nflofficeadmin says: Oct 24, 2013 3:07 PM

That seems pretty hurtful.. Hopefully it helps the team win.

6. jdonageh says: Oct 24, 2013 3:08 PM

They may have a point, but it looks like a publicity stunt for the radio station before a primetime game.

7. stonefish67 says: Oct 24, 2013 3:09 PM

When they first started, they rented airplanes towing banners that said “Throw McKay in the Bay.”

8. bamboozle99 says: Oct 24, 2013 3:15 PM

I realize why Schiano hates the victory formation so much. Every game they pull that stupid play on him.

9. areyoudue says: Oct 24, 2013 3:15 PM

Seems silly to me. Why don’t they send that money to the local food bank or homeless shelter where it can do some real good.

10. westampa says: Oct 24, 2013 3:16 PM

The morning show made a song “Schiano Man” to the tune of “Piano Man” lmao!

11. nobby821 says: Oct 24, 2013 3:19 PM

The city of Tampa will take a deep sigh of relief when that billboard becomes a reality.

12. slick1ru2 says: Oct 24, 2013 3:20 PM

I remember when they were Quad 102.5 and I won Pink Floyd’s Animals album. Rock on!

13. doctorrustbelt says: Oct 24, 2013 3:20 PM

Wildman Walker’s 61 days on a billboard >>> 19 billboards

14. richkotitte says: Oct 24, 2013 3:21 PM

I’m getting nervous now, these Bucs maybe just could give my Jags a run for their money for:

“With the first pick in the 2014 draft…”

15. azarkhan says: Oct 24, 2013 3:23 PM

I’m sure Schiano’s family and all the assistant coaches and their families are thrilled that those fools want them fired.

16. realitypolice says: Oct 24, 2013 3:24 PM

doctorrustbelt says:
    Oct 24, 2013 3:07 PM
    68 wins – 67 losses at Rutgers

=====

Do yourself a favor and look up their record in the 20 years before he got there.

I agree that he deserves to lose his job and is most likely cut out to be a college head coach and not an NFL head coach, but what he did at Rutgers was nothing short of remarkable. If you cut out the first few years where he was attempting to rebuild one of the worst Division I football programs in history with some of the worst facilities in the country, his record is much better.

Guess you had to be there.

Don’t be surprised when he lands one of the top coaching jobs that becomes available in college next season.

17. ceraser45 says: Oct 24, 2013 3:29 PM

You do realize that Rutgers had a terrible football program and he came and revived it to the state it is in today with better facilities and players like Kenny Britt and Ray Rice.

Some people are just blind and stupid

18. jimbo75025 says: Oct 24, 2013 3:32 PM

Actually, if Tampa gets blown out tonight I see the Bucs cutting the cord since they will have a long week. Even a team with stong community goodwill (which the Bucs did not have going into the season) can only take so much public backlash. Tampa is at the threshold now and another loss will open the flood gates.

19. gdeli says: Oct 24, 2013 3:35 PM

time for this guy to go! he makes the vikes look bad. ha

20. dasboat says: Oct 24, 2013 3:36 PM

Even if this disaster of a season is not totally Schiano’s fault, he is so toxic now he can’t survive. The better question is what do the Bucs do next? They’ve got no established QB and a recent history of failure. After Raheem and Schiano, they’ll need a solid, pedigreed NFL head coach. Does Lovie Smith have enough of an upside to return to Tampa?

21. mclovin07 says: Oct 24, 2013 3:38 PM

6 games in?? Seriously Bucs fans??

I’ve dealt with Leslie Frazier for 3 plus seasons….I’d give you Frazier and Marcus Sherels right now for Schiano…get back to me

Signed,

Zygi Wilf

22. vegaskid21 says: Oct 24, 2013 3:39 PM

I threw in $20

23. logicalvoicessayss says: Oct 24, 2013 3:40 PM

The Washington Racial Slurs should fire that loser Shanahan and hire Schiano.

24. blamatina says: Oct 24, 2013 3:46 PM

If only Josh Freeman won his first game as a Viking… Then the radio station would’ve bought 50 signs.

25. wvuandsteelers says: Oct 24, 2013 3:50 PM

Kinda shocked. Cox (who owns the station) usually doesn’t piss money.

26. phinfan says: Oct 24, 2013 3:53 PM

a standard billboard could fetch for $3k. Wow thats a big investment.

27. pftfan says: Oct 24, 2013 3:59 PM

What do you think is more likely to occur next for this circus of a franchise?

Thumbs Up = Darrelle Revis holdout

Thumbs Down = Tim Tebow tryout

28. jdfrox says: Oct 24, 2013 4:04 PM

That’s really not that nice.

29. sonoco says: Oct 24, 2013 4:07 PM

This sounds more like a low budget attempt to get national attention for the radio station (mission accomplished) rather than build momentum to fire a guy who’s already a dead man walking.

30. buc8 says: Oct 24, 2013 4:09 PM

I really don’t think Schiano is that bad of a coach but he certainly has hit a perfect storm.

What coach could survive everything he’s dealt with this year. Narrow losses due to dumb penalties, the franchise QB regresses and then acts like a baby when he’s benched, MRSA issues. On top of that there is the persistent chorus of victory formation whiners.

I give him credit for keeping the team as solid as they have been through it all. Raheem is still fresh in my memory when the players all just quit. At least I haven’t see that this year…except freeman.

31. hor2012 says: Oct 24, 2013 4:16 PM

I’m a Saints fan. But, to be honest with you I didn’t get the hire in the first place. I can’t put my finger on it but he never struck me as being a pro coach even when he was at RU. As far as the bill board goes I’d like to see them bring back the old uniforms. Call me crazy but I really liked those. As far as the coaching goes I think we forget that these teams have great marketing teams. It could just be a case that what we thought was good on paper was just that, good on paper

32. polegojim says: Oct 24, 2013 4:18 PM

Hey… would they pay for our ‘FIRE SCHWARTZ’ billboards in Detroit too???

We are a little low on funds, if you haven’t heard!

33. polegojim says: Oct 24, 2013 4:20 PM

@PFT Fan… or let’s be completely ridiculous….

…maybe a phone call to Favre to come out of retirement…. oh wait… the Rams beat them to it!

34. tformation says: Oct 24, 2013 4:24 PM

Don’t worry. They will. “When” is the question. Not “if.”

As for the money question, if the TV cameras tonight show any one of these “Fire Schiano” billboards, that money will be well spent.

35. oakfolk says: Oct 24, 2013 4:25 PM

The media can make you and the media can break you.

Shiano is broken.

36. leevi98 says: Oct 24, 2013 4:28 PM

Same city and fans that wanted Gruden and Allen out…hmmmmm…careful what ya wish for huh? didn’t even give this guy 2 seasons before calling foe his head. Why? Cause the qb he cut was so good? Freeman sux..I side with the coach!

37. edwardemanuelson says: Oct 24, 2013 4:29 PM

And here come the thumbs down when I call this a class less move by a radio station. Come on. Calling for someone to lose their job – like that – no matter what the circumstances is not very nice. Get a life. He’s gone at the end of the season anyway, and everyone already knows it.

38. buc8 says: Oct 24, 2013 4:32 PM

I liked the old uniforms too. I wish they’d update and somehow blend both of them. They need to get rid of the pewter sweat pants anyway.

39. isphet71 says: Oct 24, 2013 4:42 PM

I know Schiano’s been a train wreck, but it’s a pretty classless/tacky move for a local media outlet to get so involved in an NFL team’s coaching situation. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

40. bunjy96 says: Oct 24, 2013 4:50 PM

dasboat says: Oct 24, 2013 3:36 PM

Who?

You mean that coach that got fired in Chicago and hasn’t even merited an interview since?

41. mackcarrington says: Oct 24, 2013 4:58 PM

I guess it’s safe to assume that this isn’t the station that are broadcasting their games?

42. skinsfanwill says: Oct 24, 2013 5:00 PM

Lovie Smith took a team with Rex Grossman to the superbowl. That alone is legendary. Fire Schiano and go get Lovie ASAP!!!!

43. edavidberg says: Oct 24, 2013 5:09 PM

Its time to put him out of his misery.

44. sc711 says: Oct 24, 2013 5:11 PM

I doubt they would pay Lovie…..but they could afford Schottenheimer. My guess is….they do something that makes zero football sense.

45. sweetshadow13 says: Oct 24, 2013 5:14 PM

Give the guy some credit, he did run Josh Freeman out of town…

46. madtownthrowdown says: Oct 24, 2013 5:20 PM

Huh, I thought that sign on I 275 South between Clearwater and St. Pete seemed new on my way in to work this morning. I thought i’d just had to much coffee though.

47. sc711 says: Oct 24, 2013 5:20 PM

Lovie, Herm Edwards, Tony Dungy all part of Schottenheimers coaching tree….point being….they would be an invaluable source of information on how to fill out your coaching staff on the fly.

48. 63deuceman says: Oct 24, 2013 5:33 PM

You know, if at the end of the season you were to combine the win total for every FLA pro football team, you still likely wouldn’t equal or exceed the win total of Denver or Seattle…

49. borisbulldog says: Oct 24, 2013 5:56 PM

When the TB players were asked about Schiano’s game day exectution, they said they were for it!

50. bert1913 says: Oct 24, 2013 6:07 PM

what a waste on money, slapshano will be gone anyway

51. upperdecker19 says: Oct 24, 2013 6:14 PM

Rich Kotite demands an explanation (and an interview when the job is available).

52. Troy Larson says: Oct 24, 2013 6:15 PM

This is a music radio station, not sports.

Nuff said.

53. realdealsteel says: Oct 24, 2013 6:40 PM

He runs the team like a Gastopo camp. And all he needs is the little black mustache under his nose and the picture would be complete. He has to be fired.

54. bucsfanpc says: Oct 24, 2013 6:45 PM

I love that all you people who don’t live in Tampa and have never listened to 102.5 are talking all this BS. It’s not a publicity stunt. The station manager is merely showing that the radio station stands behind the fans and players who want Schiano gone. The locker room is in turmoil, the players have lost confidence in Schiano and are ready for a change.

55. tampabay94 says: Oct 24, 2013 6:46 PM

You know you’ve been a losing coach if you specifically designed a play to defend victory formations. How about using those 10 minutes in practice getting better and preventing yourself from going against the victory formation.

56. mjs12892013 says: Oct 24, 2013 6:46 PM

no..it is not a radio station…its an all talk station..which btw…has been number 1 for at least the last 7 yrs…

57. mjs12892013 says: Oct 24, 2013 6:47 PM

oops…not a music radio station…

58. bucsfanpc says: Oct 24, 2013 6:48 PM

Troy Larson says:
    Oct 24, 2013 6:15 PM
    This is a music radio station, not sports.

Nuff said.

————————————————————
    It’s a talk radio station. not a music station. Do your homework.

59. kepickle says: Oct 24, 2013 6:58 PM

An embarrassing defeat to the Panthers on national television and an ensuing nine-day break could force the issue as early as Friday. Butch Davis, who coached the Browns to the playoffs in 2002, is a “special assistant” to Schiano and would make a logical interim replacement

60. stuartscottslazyeyeball says: Oct 24, 2013 7:02 PM

This guy should be working at the snack bar.

61. jdavis808 says: Oct 24, 2013 7:23 PM

FIRE SCHIANO!

62. my2cents277 says: Oct 24, 2013 7:40 PM

I don’t think his personality meshed real well with guys at the pro level.