Woody Johnson: “We’re happy with Rex”

Rex Ryan, Woody Johnson AP

Jets owner Woody Johnson didn’t delve too deeply into the future of his head coach, but after an offseason that felt like an inevitable final act for Rex Ryan, Johnson was openly supportive after a surprising 4-3 start.

We’re happy with Rex,” Johnson said, via Gary Myers of the New York Daily News. “Coaches have to be good teachers and good leaders and I think he’s both.”

Johnson said he’d reserve comment on Ryan’s future with the team until after the season. Much could change between now and then, but at the moment, Ryan has the Jets playing far above expectations, after an overtime win over their division rival Patriots.

Ryan’s contract runs through the 2014 season, meaning they’ll have to make a call this offseason to avoid the always awkward lame duck season.

“I will make a statement after the season,” Johnson said. “I never make any comments regarding contracts during the season.”

Asked if he anticipated keeping Ryan, Johnson replied: “I don’t make any statements like that. The only thing I’ll say is I’m happy with him. I think he’s a great teacher, a good teacher, maybe a great teacher and a good leader.”

There’s no point in, or incentive for Johnson declaring his undying love for Ryan at the moment. As well as they’ve played, there’s still a possibility things could go wrong, and with a new General Manager, there’s no security for anyone who predated John Idzik’s arrival.

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Jets, Rumor Mill
18 Responses to “Woody Johnson: “We’re happy with Rex””
  1. ryann252013 says: Oct 24, 2013 11:52 AM

Good, and I mean it.

If any coach for the NY Jets were to snap our long super bowl drought it would be Rex Ryan. in 2009 and 2010 he brought us to back to back AFCG title appearances (I know plenty of non jets fans get mad when we bring this up) but if you look at the offenses in those years they were terrible and they were being led by Mark Sanchez. Give Rex Ryan an offense in those years and the jets have two rings back to back.

2. doe22us says: Oct 24, 2013 11:57 AM

I will say this much, i have criticized and had my fair share of laughs at the expensethe Jets organization from Sanchize, to buttfumble the list is endless. However, Rex can get his guys to play that’s for sure.

3. blacknole08 says: Oct 24, 2013 11:58 AM

Andy Reid will probably win it, but if Rex gets the Jets to the playoffs he deserves consideration for coach of the year. Most people thought they were a 3-4 win team at best.

4. hehateme2 says: Oct 24, 2013 12:01 PM

And this is why they will remain a rudderless ship at sea.
    Luck only lasts for so long jet fans.

5. smartstickhotness says: Oct 24, 2013 12:10 PM

AND THE HOME…. OF THE …. jets

6. 6ball says: Oct 24, 2013 12:12 PM

So far the Jets have overachieved.

7. mshawn75 says: Oct 24, 2013 12:15 PM

Really they are a 2 win team. It took really stupid penalties (by N.E and Tampa Bay), at the end of games for them to get the other 2 wins.

8. onlythebest36 says: Oct 24, 2013 12:20 PM

That statement is always the kiss of death.

9. scrp2 says: Oct 24, 2013 12:26 PM

He’s half the man he used to be. Literally!

10. jzone954 says: Oct 24, 2013 12:27 PM

I like Rex and I’m a dolphins fan….coaches a great defense. A qb solves everybody’s problems. Just be patient with him

11. birdmantd says: Oct 24, 2013 12:49 PM

He’ll still do or say stupid things from time to time (has done a terrible job with challenges and timeouts this year) but at the end of the day he does know how to coach a defense and guys play hard for him. Just make sure you have someone who knows what they’re doing to help coach the offensive side of the ball.

12. brenenostler says: Oct 24, 2013 1:09 PM

He’s a good coach that’s been brought down my the play of Mark Sanchez and the Tebow circus. But the guy still got the team to two AFC Championships under Sanchez, which has to be pretty hard to do.

13. kev86 says: Oct 24, 2013 1:29 PM

Glad he isn’t my teams coach. He fits in with the messy Jets brand.

14. backdapack4evr says: Oct 24, 2013 1:38 PM

We are too!!
    I would miss that clown show!!

15. jetsjetsjetsnow says: Oct 24, 2013 4:06 PM

Before the train wreck finally concluded with Sanchez I was leaning toward replacing him due to his lack of offensive vision/scruples mostly from the fact that he had the attachment to the guy, but now that the we’re in the Geno era and Ryan is on somewhat of a leash (by Idzik) where decisions are being made by committee I vote to renew his contract a couple years. With what he’s had to work with and overcome he’s had done some of his best coaching this season since he’s been with the Jets and I can only hope he’s grown from the Sanchize experience! Plus I really like the Defensive identity of the team and Morninweg has the offensive reigns for the most part.

I think the litmus question would be…. Who Are You Going To Get To Replace Him Anyway?

P.S. Rex you need to learn when & when not to throw the red flag plus implement better time management in Q4 of games!

16. lrjets says: Oct 24, 2013 4:15 PM

ULTIMATE PROOF REX IS DOING A GREAT JOB!
    THE DISAPPEARANCE OF THE TROLLS LIKE RATS OFF A SINKING SHIP, OR THE ONES THAT STAY TO SHOW JEALOUSY.
    ____________________________________

hehateme2 says:

And this is why they will remain a rudderless ship at sea.
    Luck only lasts for so long jet fans.

AGREE??

17. lrjets says: Oct 24, 2013 4:18 PM

kev86 says:
    Oct 24, 2013 1:29 PM
    Glad he isn’t my teams coach. He fits in with the messy Jets brand.
    ________________________________

“Go Jags”

signed,

kev86

18. lance19 says: Oct 24, 2013 7:22 PM

For God’s sake people, the man has (verbally) achieved three Super Bowl wins…it’s a little late to second guess him now!