NFL to meet with Oneida Indian Nation next week

Redskins Getty Images

On a day that featured a bizarre development regarding the ongoing Redskins name debate, a more conventional thing has happened.

A date finally has been set for the meeting between the NFL and Oneida Indian Nation.

Oneida spokesman Brett Stagnitti tells the Associated Press that the meeting has been scheduled for next Wednesday in New York City.

It’s unclear who will attend.  It is clear that the meeting will legitimize the group that has opposed the Redskins name the most loudly.

The NFL and, more recently, the Redskins have adopted a position that both defends the name but also expresses willingness to listen to those opposed to it.  It’s not a sustainable approach over the long haul, unless the opposition subsides.

Oneida Indian Nation has been consistent and persistent in its objection to the name, and it’s hard to imagine the league saying anything at Wednesday’s meeting that will prompt the group to drop the whole thing.  It’s also hard to envision the NFL emerging from the meeting with the belief that the name shall change.

And so the only agreement that is likely is an agreement to continue to disagree, unless and until the opposition moves on to something else or enough people join in the movement to make changing the name the only fiscally responsible course of action.

Permalink 137 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
137 Responses to “NFL to meet with Oneida Indian Nation next week”
  1. thesmartest1 says: Oct 25, 2013 4:45 PM

The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

2. doctorrustbelt says: Oct 25, 2013 4:46 PM

Washington Republican Airport Bathroom Enthusiasts

3. waussau says: Oct 25, 2013 4:48 PM

Jeez Louise….

4. haywoodjablomee says: Oct 25, 2013 4:48 PM

I think I’m hearing the sounds of some palms being greased.

5. azarkhan says: Oct 25, 2013 4:52 PM

Washington Democratic Bathroom Enthusiasts

6. tgifcarterthefourththefifth says: Oct 25, 2013 4:52 PM

To be followed by defamation lawsuits….

7. weepingjebus says: Oct 25, 2013 4:52 PM

“Oneida spokesman Brett Stagnitti”

….Huh?

8. tipdrill84 says: Oct 25, 2013 4:54 PM

I’d ask “so when exactly over the last 80 years when the term ‘Redskin’ lost any derogatory meaning and became completely synonymous with the Washington Pro Football team did this start bothering you”?

9. karlton3 says: Oct 25, 2013 4:57 PM

Ralph Wilson reportedly doesn’t care about the name, but is excited to try some of the new “Roasted Garlic Potato Wedges” he’s heard so much about.

10. firerogergoodell says: Oct 25, 2013 4:58 PM

I LOL’d at Oneida being Wendy Testaburger.

BOOOOO!

11. dsimp724 says: Oct 25, 2013 4:59 PM

Brian stagnetti?? What tribe is that again?

12. sb139422 says: Oct 25, 2013 4:59 PM

Boo hoo. Grow a pair. The team has been around longer than anyone fighting the name and no one made a stink till now (maybe a little sneeze a few years back). Why didn’t anyone say anything when the team was formed? Its not racist then and its not racist now. African Americans are called blacks. Europeans are called whites. What the hell is wrong with red? Its a color. Native Americans skin have a reddish color. Big whoop. Why is that derogatory? They’re calling their team that and fighting behind that flag. Obviously they’re using it in a sense of respect. Native Americans have a rich culture and the team is celebrating that.
    It seems that people are restless. They feel that they have no purpose in life so they pick things to fight for, whether it makes sense or not. Like the green people, fighting against global warming. News flash: humans make up 4% of global warming. Yes, 4%. Look it up. Spending billions of dollars making it 3% ain’t gonna do much. Yet people will jump on it. The point is, do what you gotta do in your own life. Better yourself. Be a good person. Stop worrying so much about these stupidities and being such a baby.

13. chief67 says: Oct 25, 2013 5:03 PM

Strictly a CASH grab ! Mr . Snyder here is what it will cost to make this go away …

14. seahawkgoat says: Oct 25, 2013 5:03 PM

I would be very interested to hear the reasons that the Oneida nation feel the term is derogatory. I have yet to hear a solid example.

15. Foghorn The IKonoclast says: Oct 25, 2013 5:04 PM

Go Redskins!!!! Scalp Winston Smith!!!

16. calicowboysfan86 says: Oct 25, 2013 5:05 PM

MERICA!!!

17. onereasonableman says: Oct 25, 2013 5:05 PM

I humbly suggest that they just change the logo on the helmet to a potato.

Seriously, my wife makes them all the time. So good.

Who could object to the name then? I mean, possibly people from Idaho but that is about it.

18. fissilemissile says: Oct 25, 2013 5:06 PM

I hear no empathy only racists defending racist behavior. Grow a pair racists and learn to accept your wrong doings instead of acting like stubborn old men who need pills to satisfy your hand.

19. joemammy says: Oct 25, 2013 5:07 PM

How?

20. rdrs68 says: Oct 25, 2013 5:09 PM

Time to wake up and smell the coffee kids the name will be changed just as it has with prep and college teams. Some are in denial about this and some just are whining because the paid way too much for overpriced team logo gear. Deal with it.

21. hyprcaffeinated says: Oct 25, 2013 5:10 PM

Washington Foghorns. Put Foghorn Leghorn on the side of their helmets. Doubt roosters anywhere would be offended.

That’s all, Folks!!!

22. FinFan68 says: Oct 25, 2013 5:11 PM

I’d ask them to be specific in their objections. When have they or anyone they know ever heard the word used as a slur? Not heard of, actually heard themselves. How exactly are they offended by the team name? Complainers usually can’t deal in specifics. It’s generalizations that help attract a bandwagon. There is no merit to the slur belief and research shows that clearly. Just because a word sounds like it is a racial slur does not mean it really is one. Giving groups like this credibility is not the right move. The last time this site chose to promote a specific group on their side of the argument they praised a domestic terrorist group.

23. calicokiller49 says: Oct 25, 2013 5:12 PM

We the Oneida Indians, will glady accept the small fee of 367 million dollars to help with the pain and suffering the Washington redskins have caused us. We also will no longer be offended by this name, and we will make Dan Snyder a small percentage of ownership, in our new Indian casino. Thank you.

24. stevent92 says: Oct 25, 2013 5:13 PM

So the Oneida Nation is now able to speak for all Native Americans everywhere? Who the heck made THEM the designated spokes-tribe?

25. sb139422 says: Oct 25, 2013 5:13 PM

Please respond: in what way is redskin more offensive than: blacks, as people who’s lineage passed through Africa for an extended period of time are called; Or whites, the same but with Europe? Please explain in the lines below because you people seem to just be babies.

26. glac1 says: Oct 25, 2013 5:14 PM

Why are they meeting?????

27. keltictim says: Oct 25, 2013 5:17 PM

Isn’t the Oneida nation from like Minnesota or somewhere in the Midwest? Maybe it’s just me but a tribe that’s actually from the dc area would carry a little more weight with me as they would be the ones hearing that “offensive ” word on a daily basis.

28. salvi18 says: Oct 25, 2013 5:17 PM

This is always about the money and this organization surfaces now, give me a break. Its a freakin football team that is an historic part of the NFL like them or not the name is what the American people know, just leave it alone and go away. Too much drama over this issue and Bill Costas should be a librarian not covering sports. He’s the biggest phony in the biz.

29. justintuckrule says: Oct 25, 2013 5:18 PM

tipdrill84 says:
    Oct 25, 2013 4:54 PM
    —-
    If I’m an Oneida, I’d tell that under 5’8 group of spoiled rich white men….”ok, which one of you wants to call me a Redskin right now? That’s what I thought.”

30. calicokiller49 says: Oct 25, 2013 5:18 PM

Isn’t the Cleveland Indians logo, a lot more offensive? Hmmmm. Isn’t it offensive to call them Indians, I mean that’s the name Columbus gave them, because he thought he was in India …..but when you drive onto any reservation, it says now entering so and so Indian reservation. But their skin is kind of red, but you can’t tell them that, and my skin is kind of white, but it’s ok to refer to me as white……wow, I really am not up on what is PC and what isn’t. The liberals need to write like an instruction book, so I can learn how to form the right opinions……

31. hjb99992013 says: Oct 25, 2013 5:18 PM

As the great lawrence Welk use to say, wonnerful, wonnerful, wonnerful

32. toddm6d says: Oct 25, 2013 5:20 PM

The only question that needs to be asked is, “What is the amount of the payday?” because let’s be honest, in a bad economy with a smoking ban that’s the only reason they are “offended.”

33. fargovikesfan says: Oct 25, 2013 5:21 PM

How about in order to more closely represent the city of Washington, we change the name to the Washington Weasels? Washington DC has more weasels per capita than any other place in the nation.

34. rg3andthensome says: Oct 25, 2013 5:23 PM

Oh boy….I can see it now…

The Washington Spartans

Awful….Almost as bad as a Raven.

35. charger383 says: Oct 25, 2013 5:24 PM

I used think Indians were OK and not like Dan Snyder, this has now changed

36. briang123 says: Oct 25, 2013 5:25 PM

Offer them money to use for Native American “assistance programs,” and watch how fast they go away.

37. nickprzy2 says: Oct 25, 2013 5:27 PM

Not a skins fan at all, but I hope the stand firm and tell these over sensitive 15 min wanting crybabies to eat a dick. How long have the redskins been around and now you have a problem with it?

38. judsonjr says: Oct 25, 2013 5:27 PM

The outcome of this: A casino attached to every stadium.

39. ozvaldosays says: Oct 25, 2013 5:30 PM

I forgot to add Mike Wise to the list too.

40. drunkwino says: Oct 25, 2013 5:32 PM

fissilemissile says:
    Oct 25, 2013 5:06 PM
    ————————-
    I find your stereotype of old white men to be racially offensive. Nevermind that I’m not an old white man because being a member of the offended race or grouping apparently doesn’t matter. I call on you to put your money where your mouth is by apologizing for your insensitive offensive remarks and banning your self (or paying an undisclosed sum of money to old white men, along with me getting a cut because I’m really just all about the money here.)

41. thefox61 says: Oct 25, 2013 5:33 PM

Washington Lame Ducks

42. nathanbetz91 says: Oct 25, 2013 5:34 PM

I’ll bet you 3 hundred dollar chips at Thier casino they only want money

43. sirthorazine says: Oct 25, 2013 5:43 PM

Hate to say it, but this writing has been on the wall since the beginning of the season.

A Redskins name change was the 2013/2014 agenda for Goodell all season. This isn’t the first year it’s been mentioned, but the first year its been hyped to this level.

There is no longer any need to argue the point. the name WILL be changed regardless of what any fan or native american tribe wants.

44. hor2012 says: Oct 25, 2013 5:43 PM

Kind of getting tired of hearing about this

45. Go-Hawks! says: Oct 25, 2013 5:44 PM

Change the logo to a potato and move the team to Eastern Washington state!

46. shatho1 says: Oct 25, 2013 5:53 PM

Oneida nation is doing this so they can get more money to build more casinos. they don’t have the money to keep paying all the people that win. so they used this to get it. keep the name BTW I’m a cowboys fan and if they do get their way the only people that will call them by their new name will be sports media the fans will still call them redskins so Oneida nation can just take a hike

47. golynxgo says: Oct 25, 2013 5:54 PM

There is a huge Oneida Reservation 8 miles from Lambeau Field There is a Oneida Nation Gate at Lambeau There were 10 -20 Tribal members at the Packers Redskins game By the same Token The last time PETA protested there were close to 100 PETA NUTS there
    This is a non Issue it is a farce and akin to the Race donations Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson extort from companies individuals etc
    There are also Indian tribes that are fine with this name are they to be completely ignored?
    The NFL has said that if 1 person is offended they are concerned. Ok Jerks I am a Swedish- American
    I am offended by the ways Vikings are portrayed The Horned Helmet is a falacy and rascist please change the helmet logo or the name of the team
    See Ridiculous you will find someone ofeended about anything in this society Stop it already

48. footballfan58 says: Oct 25, 2013 5:55 PM

Short and simple: This is purely a shakedown for money.

49. thegreatgabbert says: Oct 25, 2013 6:00 PM

Oneida Nation is Native Indian dialect for I Need Attention

50. dcfan999 says: Oct 25, 2013 6:08 PM

Oneida probably just wants money

51. archetypeobscure says: Oct 25, 2013 6:11 PM

I’m part Blackfoot. I’m not a Redskins fan, but I have no issue with the Redskins name or logo. I don’t agree that it is derogatory. People celebrate the name with pride. Anything that keeps the spirit alive is something good. I do think that the Cleveland Indians Chief Wahoo is a bit offensive in an unintentional manner, but wouldn’t call for them to change it. It’s not like Dan Snyder is selling Oneida nation urinal cakes. The fact that they’re the Oneida INDIAN Nation and they’re lecturing on political correctness is the real travesty.

52. thelastbesthope says: Oct 25, 2013 6:16 PM

I’m gonna some old John Wayne westerns this weekend. “The Searchers” is a classic.

Things were better back when PC didn’t control our lives.

53. racistredskins says: Oct 25, 2013 6:17 PM

Change it to:

D.C. Drones
    Washington Snowden’s
    or more aptly the
    Capitol Custer’s
    because it’s just a matter of time.

54. rextraordinaire says: Oct 25, 2013 6:22 PM

Washington Fightin’ Onedias

55. NoHomeTeam says: Oct 25, 2013 6:26 PM

Soooo much good stuff here. I guess I’m not getting any work done today . . .

calicokiller49 says:
    Isn’t the Cleveland Indians logo, a lot more offensive?

Yes, yes it is more offensive. It should be eliminated. That, however, does not invalidate the opinion that “Redskins” is offensive. “We’re not as bad as the other guy is not a viable defense.

This is almost debatable. My guess is that, were you to ask someone of native ethnicity what they would prefer to be called, the answer would be whatever their culture referred to themselves as before the Europeans showed up. That said, it seems to have gained a certain level of acceptance within the various tribes.

How you doin’ Pinky?

I think that if your mother had been able to instill in you a sense of respect for others, you might just have better opinions.

Yes, I just referenced your mother. But I mean no disrespect to her, honestly. I can’t imagine why you would take offense . . .

56. kwjsb says: Oct 25, 2013 6:29 PM

So the Oneida Indian Nation with a total population of about 1,000 complains, the other million native American don’t count, that’s like letting 1 small town pick the president for the rest of us, and FYI they are from NY not Virginia. Maryland or West Virgina where tribes near Washington have no complaints.

57. laserw says: Oct 25, 2013 6:32 PM

The indians in the meeting should be asked…

“I would like anyone who has been called a Redskin in 2013 to please stand up….”

Then ask the question going backward in time until someone stands up.

The point being is that “Redskin” is no longer an insult to indians as it was. The word has been redefined just like “gay” and “marriage”. Only groups like blacks which continue to use the N word and then whine when others use it do we consider that the term is racist. Perhaps the indians need to start calling each other “Redskin” for the word to be considered racist in 2013. After all, apparently that is why the black community continues to use it – to ensure their perpetual victimhood.

58. justafan24 says: Oct 25, 2013 6:32 PM

I honestly do not understand why the indians are so upset…the redskins name is not offensive…The name Washington Redskins is glorifying something…its like hey we are the Washington Redskins!!…its not ..umm w-w-we are um the Redskins…anyone would be proud to say hey i made it to the NFL and a member of the skins. and Im a not a skins fan but seriously….I sit here and shake my head and wonder when did everyone get so butt hurt over little thing? I have a idea. ..if you dont like the name…then dont support it…why is that so hard in life? Next will be the indians didnt get a turn and Daniel Snyder is picking on them and being a bully…grow a set and man up!

59. justafan24 says: Oct 25, 2013 6:34 PM

Next will be the airline pilots because they are offended by the Jets name…

60. moustachedone says: Oct 25, 2013 6:37 PM

George Preston Marshal was maybe the most despicable racist in American sporting history and it’s about time the team change the name and leave that part of their legacy in the past.

61. psly2124 says: Oct 25, 2013 6:41 PM

Story 201. The only reason they are pressing this issue is because Dan Snyder will not promote obamacare. So they try to take away his rights. That’s what happens when you have tyrannical government. They try to tell you how to think. And only the dumb and stupid agree.

62. psly2124 says: Oct 25, 2013 6:44 PM

Stagnitti doesn’t even belong to the tribe. He likes hear himself talk, sounds like another idiot in charge with the same syndrome.

63. jetsjetsjetsnow says: Oct 25, 2013 6:52 PM

Is this the Oneida Tribe or the Oneida Company? I understand there is a difference…

Plus does Oneida speak for all Native Americans & if not where is everyone else? Just curious…

64. santolonius says: Oct 25, 2013 7:03 PM

dsimp724 says:
    Oct 25, 2013 4:48 PM
    The” Oneida Indian nation”
    How much you wanna bet not one of them knows how to shoot a bow and arrow

— yeah, there’s no racism on the part of the redskins name defenders.

65. donttrip22 says: Oct 25, 2013 7:05 PM

its to late now they’ve let these liberal nut jobs in the door and now there not gonna stop till they change the redskins name and screw up the NFL just you wait and see

66. aoc57 says: Oct 25, 2013 7:05 PM

NSA spying, Benghazi, IRS scandals, Obamacare, Government shutdown…….if you were the President wouldn’t you want to shift the spotlight as well?

67. donttrip22 says: Oct 25, 2013 7:10 PM

so why after all theses years the name redskins now offends the oneida nation is it that if they speak up and help these liberal nut jobs they’ll get a casino ?

68. yourteamstinks says: Oct 25, 2013 7:13 PM

When did America go away? Someone now owns something and they can’t call it what they want? When did this change?

69. concord148 says: Oct 25, 2013 7:18 PM

Oneida Indian Nation why are you complaining now when you should of complained after the first Redskin game on Sept 17, 1933 vs GB Packers Final – 7-7. Are you complaining because of the internet and twitter ? Or are you just blowing smoke !

70. lance19 says: Oct 25, 2013 7:32 PM

If only posters had half as much energy to find a job as they do to defend ethnic slurs…

71. dennisgro says: Oct 25, 2013 7:51 PM

If they insist on changing the team name why not insist the name of towns like this are changed?
    Squaw Lake is a city in Itasca County, Minnesota, United States. The population was 107 at the 2010 census. The town center is located along Minnesota State Highway 46.
    Oh I know there is no easy money in that!!!!

72. thefiesty1 says: Oct 25, 2013 7:51 PM

And they’ve been screwed since they sold Manhattan Island for a few beads and baubles. So get over it.

73. lurkerkerker says: Oct 25, 2013 8:01 PM

If they change the logo to a potato the Ore Ida Nation will be offended.

74. TheWizard says: Oct 25, 2013 8:18 PM

Professional victims.

Get a real job.

75. azredbird4 says: Oct 25, 2013 8:25 PM

Is Al Sharpton prodding the Oniedas to get some fast cash?

76. theravenlives2 says: Oct 25, 2013 8:28 PM

================================
    Yeah, lately it’s been glorifying losing!

Psst: I don’t think they should change the name, either.

77. seahawkgoat says: Oct 25, 2013 8:31 PM

NoHomeTeam -

That was a truly atrocious “argument” you made in your ramblings. I can’t imagine you’ve ever won any sort of debate in real life. It’s not coherent, and I’m not even really sure what you’re getting at.

The issue is that the majority of people, Native Americans and otherwise, do not find it offensive. All the opponents of a name change want is proof that there is a reason to change the name, and it has yet to be provided.

This is a classic case of over-sensitive white liberals feeling “guilty” about something so that they can sit a tad bit higher on top of that horse.

78. ketchupaholic says: Oct 25, 2013 8:33 PM

Let’s be honest here. It’s time to stop making victims out of something that happened over a 125 years ago. This false vision of how great life was in the Americas before the white man came is completely fabricated. The native Americans didn’t live in some sort of Eutopia where everyone got along and lived peacefully. The fought, killed, slaughtered each other. Women weren’t even considered humans by many tribes, but possessions traded and discarded at will. People froze, starved, practiced slavery. Nobody is condoning what happened as the colonist moved westward. If it wasn’t for the Europeans, who would have conquered the Indian nations? The Russians? We saw what Stalin and his ilk did to their own people. The Japanese? Who knows about Nanking? Why do I bring up incidents of brutality and eradication by the two examples I gave? Quite simple, they happened decades, in some cases centuries after Europeans conquered North America. So… The next time you drop a silver dollar into a coin slot, pull the lever, think about who really ended out on top!

79. electstat says: Oct 25, 2013 8:43 PM

Take away all indication that there were any native american names. Make the Redskins the Conquerors. I guarantee that the majority of tribes that are not offended will suddenly be offended that they no longer have any recognition in any sports.

80. istateyourname says: Oct 25, 2013 8:51 PM

The NFL ought to be very careful about this. When they first show up coming over the hill it will look like there will only be 6 or 8 of them on their horses. But when the NFL gets drawn in and lets their guard down, hundreds if not thousands more of them will come pouring over the ridge! I’ve seen it happen every time when you meet them…just trying to make peace, they won’t do it!

81. contra74isloosbuthole says: Oct 25, 2013 9:00 PM

Sorry Redskins fans this battle is already over. Name change coming. If it was any other minority you guys would all be in agreement. But noooo since it is Native Americans you think you can continue to treat them like they do not matter.

82. jonesbers says: Oct 25, 2013 9:10 PM

This is so obvious a play by Halbritter (sp?) to make up for bad decisions on the casino. NY State wanted to change their agreement with the Oneida Nation, and start collecting taxes off of the gambling. Part of that negotiation would have allowed the Casino to start serving alcohol. Oneida played hardball, wanted to be able to serve the alcohol but not pay taxes. So now NY is trying to get tax payers to allow 7 more Casino’s. Obviously Oneida miscalculated and can see the writing on the wall, and is now going a new direction to bring in revenue.

All was fine when the Halbritter had the area to himself, and was giving himself a sponsor’s exemption to play in the PGA Tour event at the Turning Stone (which he later succumbed to pressure and dropped out to let a local pro have the spot). Now that things are not going his way, he is desperate to save the Oneida Nation, before 7 more Casino’s move in to take a large part of their revenue. The Oneida’s would do themselves justice by removing him from a position of authority and saving their good names.

83. milksteak78 says: Oct 25, 2013 9:19 PM

Let’s just watch to see who FOLDS, amirite?

84. coachbeck says: Oct 25, 2013 9:23 PM

Why even acknowledge them. And for these Oneida Indians shouldn’t they be using their casino money in other ways. Or there no taxes, they should try and buy the team

85. fanasaurus says: Oct 25, 2013 9:38 PM

tipdrill84, you are right. It seems there is a modern trend in society for these political correct rectums to change anything and everything they find not to their liking. They must save us all to their way of thinking, whether we want it or not.

86. ProDolphinsTalk says: Oct 25, 2013 9:39 PM

Really the only people this is going to affect are Washington Redskins fans. Nobody is really and truly offended by this. It’s a mascot. A rallying cry and if anything it glorifies and honors the Native American warrior. If they take it this far it means Kansas City is next. Some Chiefs group from Oakland coming out next…
    If the name does change I vote:

Washington Arrows.

87. ndnboy says: Oct 25, 2013 9:46 PM

full blooded american indian here, from oklahoma. i worked in the yard alot this past summer, my skin is actually a nice shade of red. the oneida don’t speak for all of us ndns (not offended by that term at all), back in the mid 90′s, a high school in west texas asked my tribe if they could call themselves the comanches. our tribe sent a delegation out there to perform a ceremony and gave them our blessing. if this sort of politically correct BS continues, i can never again ask someone to meet me at Cracker Barrel.

88. thraiderskin says: Oct 25, 2013 9:48 PM

Redskins is the name of a football team… that is all.

89. sopadegato says: Oct 25, 2013 9:49 PM

-Offer to change the name
    -Start looking into offers from other cities
    -Wind up moving to LA
    -Watch the resulting chaos as the fanbase tears apart everyone who was complaining about it
    -???
    -Profit!

90. raaz227httr says: Oct 25, 2013 10:12 PM

Let me guess, another post by M.F.

Btw, Oneida makes great silverware.

91. ketchupaholic says: Oct 25, 2013 10:12 PM

ProDolphins Fans, you need to go to San Francisco
    or Madison Wisconsin. The libtards there are the guiltiest of all.

92. ketchupaholic says: Oct 25, 2013 10:32 PM

Dude with username Callico49 is complaining about names based off of color? Seriously? Callico? Really? $100 that Callico voted for Obama and lives in San Francisco or some other liberal, depressed city.. Hilarious!

93. sillec28 says: Oct 25, 2013 10:33 PM

Who the hell appointed the Oneida Nation the spokespersons for all Native Americans of all tribes everywhere?

94. queeflatifah says: Oct 25, 2013 10:41 PM

Hopefully Goodell will greet then like Leslie Nielsen greeted the American Indians in that scary movie movie. ..Hey! How are ya…Hey! How are ya…Hey! How are ya

95. harbourimages says: Oct 25, 2013 10:41 PM

Why do all you right-wing wackos think all Liberals support changing the Redskins name? I’m a Liberal and I do not want the name changed (also not a REDSKINS fan). All you ditto heads like to blame Liberals for everything, which is why you swallow all that crap from those goofy “intellectuals” like your Bachmann, Palin and that lunatic Cruz….

96. tatum064 says: Oct 25, 2013 10:41 PM

———-

No professional team is called “The Blacks”, genius . (other than the New Zealand All Blacks.)

The real issue is powerless people that seek a change vs. the powerful, who have ownership and can call it anything they want. – in this case , Redskins.

It comes down to who has the financial power, and a just cause being determined by those with the fiscal power. I’d be curious to see the “loyalty” of fans tested if the name actually change and the equal whining and moaning and bitching about PC.

It goes to show perception, and how it is drawn out of context on both sides. The Stanford Indians changed to the Cardinal, the St. John’s Redmen changed to the Red Storm.

They change to Washington Warriors, and watch the real bitching start.

97. natijim235 says: Oct 25, 2013 10:56 PM

are they the same people that make the silverware?

98. natijim235 says: Oct 25, 2013 10:57 PM

it’s not the name redskin people should be offended about it’s the Washington that is offensive!

99. natijim235 says: Oct 25, 2013 11:01 PM

change the name to Washington Foreskins

100. captainphintastic says: Oct 25, 2013 11:08 PM

NoHomeTeam says:
    Oct 25, 2013 6:26 PM
    Soooo much good stuff here. I guess I’m not getting any work done today . . .

calicokiller49 says:
    Isn’t the Cleveland Indians logo, a lot more offensive?

How you doin’ Pinky?

==========================

My mother taught me that respect is earned…
    This world is about survival of the fittest. Sink or swim… sticks and stones break my bones, but names will never hurt me… any less than 50% of the vote means you lose… you don’t deserve a trophy for 6th place… WHY SHOULD THE MAJORITY BEND TO THE WILL OF THE MINORITY? I was taught that the majority rules…

These are the things that are missing from todays pussified PC society.

101. bat42boy says: Oct 25, 2013 11:31 PM

What a waste of time!!!

102. vegasgreek says: Oct 25, 2013 11:40 PM

Synder should sell the team to Ted Leonsis who is GREEK and he can name the team the SPARTANS ! The don’t even have to change team colors.

103. bobnelsonfootballroutineishilarious says: Oct 25, 2013 11:52 PM

I’ve read every post from u kno who regarding this topic… Just when the arrogance and smugness in favor of the name change reached critical mass, I love how I detect backpedaling in this post. I knew it would come eventually. Got too confident about it too quick. The NFL is doing their part by listening.. But they ain’t gonna do squat. Im totally against the name change, but I believe it’s polite and professional to at least listen.. Once they feel they’ve been heard, they’ll get over it. This is ri – effin- diculous!

104. randomcommenter says: Oct 26, 2013 12:12 AM

Doesn’t anybody see the irony of Oneida INDIAN Nation complaining about changing the name?

Maybe Snyder will demand they change their name to Oneida Native American Nation.

105. staffordsyear says: Oct 26, 2013 12:19 AM

They should just get together and smoke a peace pipe…problem solved somehow.

106. wahoo80 says: Oct 26, 2013 12:32 AM

Offer the Oneida Redskins some colorful beads and a few trinkets. Throw in some white man’s firewater too.

They’ll drop their complaints immediately and run off yelling ‘woooop wooooop’ slapping their hands over their mouths and go back home to sit on their asses while their fat women work.

107. blockedpunt says: Oct 26, 2013 2:33 AM

Hows about changin Washington’s football name to Rednecks ? In honor of most of their supporters on this blog.

Racist football fan logic: Majority not offended by Redskins name? So Philadelphia Phags would be OK since the majority aren’t gay.

More racist football fan logic: It’s OK to keep an offensive team name in place as long as people of that race have not had the power to bring pressure to change it for many years.

Slavery ended a few years back too so it would be ok now to use a name referring to African skin color as long as its been around for a while?

108. daryllh says: Oct 26, 2013 3:16 AM

I’m 1/8th Oneida. My mom is 1/4 and that’s the cut off to be a tribe member. I’ve only inherited a lust for alcohol.

Oneidas are a pretty cool tribe. Part of the Iroquois nation. Grandpa used to remind me that his people helped George Washington’s men survive the harsh winters during the revolution.

So, as an Oneida by proxy, I give permission to the Washington Redskins to keep the Redskin name and to celebrate the agreement by handing out tomahawks and head dresses to the first 10,000 kids at the next home game.

109. lance19 says: Oct 26, 2013 3:18 AM

Do people REALLY believe that
    only “liberals” admit or dislike ethnic slurs?

110. yellowskins says: Oct 26, 2013 3:19 AM

The original meaning of redskin was because certain tribes would paint their bodies red for battle. Why can’t we just go back to this definition and ditch the racist one?

Besides, the true redskins are whites that have spent too much time in the sun with out sunblock.

111. racistredskins says: Oct 26, 2013 3:20 AM

Circle the the wagon’s rednecks…er redskins fans the injun’s is comin’

112. gavriloprincip33 says: Oct 26, 2013 4:36 AM

ndnboy says:
    Oct 25, 2013 9:46 PM

the oneida don’t speak for all of us ndns (not offended by that term at all),

——————-

This!

- Muscogee (Creek) Nation I.T.

113. hodag54501 says: Oct 26, 2013 5:06 AM

Keep commenting on this “Redskins” fans. To anyone with a sense of Christian compassion for anyone else you make a mockery of yourselves. At the very least you prove the stereotype of football fans: drunken morons.
    I challenge any of you “fans” to go to a Native American reservation, stand up, and say the things you wrote here. I suspect you’d have an awakening. But, of course, it’s easier to stick with racist stereotypes.

114. navamikey says: Oct 26, 2013 5:47 AM

First off let me say that I am 100% Navajo. My skin is not red but dark brown. I know many Native Americans who are Redskin fans. I don’t think the Redskin logo or name is offensive and I don’t believe that the Redskin’s Native American fans think that the name or logo is offensive. Now the Cleveland Indians is a different story. Many Native Americans call each other “skins” which is half of the Redskin name. This whole thing is STUPID to me.

115. obmig says: Oct 26, 2013 5:48 AM

I though the term Indian was seen as a derogatory term. Why do they call themselves an Indian nation?

116. obmig says: Oct 26, 2013 5:50 AM

PS, now that it’s the weekend will you please cover the football game against Denver?

117. wot1965 says: Oct 26, 2013 6:43 AM

I been going to Blackfoot Nation in Browning, Montana going on for twenty years to visit my brother and sister. Every time I wore my Washington Redskin hat, I never was ask about the hat or ask to remove it as may have offended someone by wearing the hat.

I was there just two week and there was were no issues made about the hat. I think the government has more pressing issues to fix than a name of a sport team.

When will PETA join in because the of all the animals names on sport teams. We don’t want to upset animal kingdom.

I only time I upset anyone with the hat, I was in the assigned to Fort Hood in Texas, fight on.

118. grumpyoleman says: Oct 26, 2013 7:34 AM

Quit writing the name in your stories if you really find it offensive

119. madtownthrowdown says: Oct 26, 2013 7:59 AM

Well if the talking heads in Washington think the name should change, then change it right? How about the Washington Bullets? That’s got a good ring (or should i say bang to it). oh waitttt………

120. obxfannings says: Oct 26, 2013 8:05 AM

As a result of the the Washington Redskins using an abominable racial slur against our noble Native Americans, I decree they be penalized 18 million dollars per year off of their salary cap in perpetuity. Also the Dallas Cowboys shall be penalized also for intimating that their logo is superior to the noble Native Americans in battle at a rate of 5 million dolllars coming from their salary cap in perpetuity. I will find a way to screw the Eagles too (Hellooo PETA!!). This I decree, handle it, Roger.

Love, John Mara

121. wheeln69 says: Oct 26, 2013 8:20 AM

Ok, who wants to bet their next “target” is the state of Oklahoma? Why? Because Oklahoma is based on Choctaw Indian words which translate as red people (okla meaning “people” and humma meaning “red”). Come on Liberals, don’t stop with the Redskins…Obama will consider changing the name of the state because it too is offensive to a few…

122. robuff716 says: Oct 26, 2013 8:36 AM

I’m part Cherokee and the only time I hate the Redskins is when they play the Buffalo Bills….do I get repairations???

123. dpdonny says: Oct 26, 2013 8:47 AM

Next up: DNS files suit of NE Patriots name. They find the term patriot offensive because it’ s offensive to totalitarianism.

124. dpdonny says: Oct 26, 2013 8:52 AM

*DNC

125. bobsnygiants says: Oct 26, 2013 9:48 AM

change it to the RED COATS

126. hambegran says: Oct 26, 2013 9:51 AM

They should change the name to the Washington Negros.

127. wheeln69 says: Oct 26, 2013 9:55 AM

hodag54501 says: Oct 26, 2013 5:06 AM

How can you question anyone’s Christian beliefs, I am a Christian and I’m offended at your idiotic, uniformed comment, you tool…Wonder if Atheists will be offended that you failed to mention them? Your statements are that of a MORON, you don’t need alcohol to obtain that status, it’s quite apparent it comes naturally to you…I HAVE been to a Native American reservation (to their casino – Inn of the Mountain Gods in NM) and can tell you that I saw MANY Native Americans wearing Redskin team apparel. It’s one thing for you to be thought of as an idiot, you will be best served to not open your mouth and confirm it…

128. justintuckrule says: Oct 26, 2013 10:18 AM

My mother taught me that respect is earned…
    ———
    Great!!! Now go tell those 8 tea bagged reps you elected to quit whining about a law that the majority of the u.s. And it’s reps favors and pay back the 25 billion they wasted forcing their shutdown on the majority. Dope

129. psly2124 says: Oct 26, 2013 10:18 AM

Harbourimages. As opposed to the intellectuals on your party that think there are 57 states…Obama. Or that Haiti is going to tip over…hank Johnson. Or Roosevelt got on tv after the 29 stock market crash…Biden. Roosevelt wasn’t the president and nobody had tv’s. every week we don’t pass the stimulus 500 million Americans lose there jobs…pelosi.

130. rabiddenial says: Oct 26, 2013 10:34 AM

Enough

131. sillec28 says: Oct 26, 2013 11:48 AM

This is just the tip of the iceberg. Now that gay rights are no longer the big thing with the Left-Wing PC Police they’ll turn to Native Americans for their next big cause. Which is already leading to such inanities as the University of Colorado banning Halloween costumes of cowboys and Indians.

132. cougar69rt03 says: Oct 26, 2013 11:49 AM

Hey Florio did you miss this or do you just post pro positions of the REDSKIN name being changed ???

Effort to ban Redskins nickname, logo during Nov. 7 game at Dome fails
    Article by: RICHARD MERYHEW , Star Tribune
    Updated: October 25, 2013 – 9:43 PM

As the Nov. 7 Vikings-Washington game approaches, American Indian activists had hoped to persuade officials that the Redskins nickname is offensive.

Clyde Bellecourt showed up at the Metrodome Friday hoping to persuade the public board that runs the stadium to ban the broadcast and display of the Washington Redskins’ nickname and logo when the NFL team plays there next month.

But the longtime American Indian Movement leader left disappointed an hour later after the board, under advice from its attorney, declined to do so.

“It takes time to do this, unfortunately,” Bellecourt said afterward. “This isn’t going to happen overnight when you are dealing with people who are ignorant about our culture and our history. It’s a pretty thick skull that we have to get through.”

Bellecourt and other American Indian activists argued Friday, as they have repeatedly in letters and meetings with the Minnesota Sports Facilities Authority and the Vikings in recent days, that the “R word” and logo are derogatory, destructive and racist. They have asked that the nickname not be broadcast or appear on any signs or other public spaces inside the venue for Washington’s Nov. 7 game with the Vikings.

But the authority, which operates the Metrodome and is overseeing construction of the Vikings’ new $975 million stadium, rejected AIM’s request to ban the nickname and logo after its attorney advised that doing so could infringe on the right to free speech.

“You follow the laws, you don’t make the laws,” attorney Jay Lindgren told the authority board members. “Your goal and role is to act within the law.

“You operate a large public building,” Lindgren added. “You don’t control the free speech that takes place within that building … Right or wrong, right now the word ‘Redskins’ is not a word that falls within the recognized exceptions to First Amendment protections. So, I think your role is to allow free speech to occur.”

Alan Yelsey, an activist and child psychologist who addressed the authority Friday, said afterward that he was “just aghast” by the board’s position.

He said the group may file a class-action lawsuit against the authority and Vikings if they don’t take action before the Nov. 7 game.

The board’s decision came after Bellecourt urged authority members to “do what is right.”

Bellecourt, 77, said he has been fighting to ban racist nicknames and logos for decades, dating back to the day when the American Indian Movement was founded in Minneapolis in 1968.

He was on the plaza outside the Metrodome during the 1991 World Series between the Twins and Atlanta Braves to protest the promotion and display of the Braves nickname and their fans’ “tomahawk chop” rally cry.

And he was involved for years in the successful battle to get the University of North Dakota to drop the “Fighting Sioux” nickname and logo.

“It’s time for America to let it go,” he said. “The ‘R’ word is no different from the ‘N’ word.”

Looking to the NFL

AIM activists sent a letter to the stadium authority earlier this month as part of a national campaign targeting American Indian mascots. They asked the authority to consider banning the nickname and logo at the publicly-run Metrodome because they reinforce hurtful stereotypes. The group met privately with the authority and Vikings Thursday and cited more than a dozen laws that the authority would break if the nickname and logo were displayed or broadcast.

It restated those concerns Friday, saying that using the nickname and logo would not only promote racist stereotypes, but violate state and federal law and the authority’s own affirmative action policies.

Other organizations and leaders, from the American Civil Liberties Union to Minnesota Rep. Betty McCollum, also have weighed in supporting a ban.

Vikings spokesman Lester Bagley said Friday that team officials have had ongoing discussions with AIM about the issue and “are sensitive to the concerns they raise.”

But he said the team is “looking to the NFL for their reaction and guidance on this. Until the NFL tells us something has changed, we’ll proceed” as is, he said.

Brian McCarthy, an NFL spokesman, said in an e-mail Friday that TV networks, working under contract with the league, make reference to the team’s “city/state/region and the nickname. There is no set requirement on the mix. They have to use the team name, logos and colors in graphics. They could not make up an alternative nickname.”

But Yelsey said AIM’s request of the authority and the Vikings is more narrow. Simply put, the group does not want the nickname or logo used or promoted in a venue funded with public money.

“The people of Minnesota control the venue,” he said. “That is our facility. We are asking them not to use the name in any way, shape or form in signage that they control.”

Michele Kelm-Helgen, the authority chairwoman, said after Friday’s meeting that the issue is one of the most difficult she has faced in 16 months in the job.

She said she has met with officials from the NFL, the Vikings and AIM to “talk about different options” and a possible solution, but that it was clear from discussions with the NFL that the team and league “control gameday issues.

“I have a great deal of sympathy,” she said. “But we just don’t have the control. It’s a much bigger national issue that needs to be addressed.”

Yelsey, however, said the authority does have the ability and the responsibility to make a change.

He said he and other activists plan to meet with Gov. Mark Dayton and Attorney General Lori Swanson next week to keep pressuring the stadium authority on the issue.

“We believe they will not allow this decision to stand,” Yelsey said.

The group also plans a march and rally outside the Metrodome Nov. 7 to protest.

“I know we’re going to have a tremendous turnout, because everybody is weighing in on the issue,” Bellecourt said, noting that President Obama also has said that Washington should consider a new nickname. “They all want that name to go.”

133. goskins7244 says: Oct 26, 2013 12:03 PM

Enough of this. The Redskins shall stay the Redskins forever more. Thus speaks Galactus.

134. kerryc21realty says: Oct 26, 2013 3:12 PM

LIBERALISM IS A MENTAL DISORDER

135. calicokiller49 says: Oct 26, 2013 3:30 PM

Ketchupaholic is the biggest clown I’ve seen on this site, I don’t know how you take my comments wich clearly makes fun of liberals. You must be about as sharp as a rock. Yes im a niner fan, that must make me a liberal, dude like you would pee his pants at a niner game. And the nickname calico relates to a fish I like to catch, not sure how that relates to being liberal, but maybe a genius like you can enlighten me.

136. kerryc21realty says: Oct 26, 2013 6:55 PM

lance19 says: Oct 26, 2013 3:18 AM

Do people REALLY believe that
    only “liberals” admit or dislike ethnic slurs?

Hey Lance, are you a conservative? I seriously doubt it. First its OPINION if its a slur, second, How many conservatives do you think want the name changed compared to the whiny little liberals? Enough said liberal boy.

137. All-American Voltron says: Oct 28, 2013 1:15 PM

Look at it this way, Vikings, Giants, and Titans have either been gone for a 1000 years or are mythological. native Americans are still here. Call them the Redskins in 500 years and I doubt there will be any resistance.