When Favre says he’s done, this time he means it

File photo of Brett Favre in Foxborough Reuters

It’s become difficult to take Brett Favre at his word when it comes to whether he’s truly done playing football.  Numerous times in the past, he has said he’s done and he has returned.

But when Favre said Thursday there’s no way he’s coming back, he likely meant it.

Giving Favre’s words unprecedented credence were his concerns about head trauma, concerns he never before had articulated.

“I don’t remember my daughter playing soccer, playing youth soccer, one summer,” Favre told 570 SportsTalk in D.C., via USA Today.

“I don’t remember that. I got a pretty good memory, and I have a tendency like we all do to say, ‘Where are my glasses?’ and they’re on your head.  This was pretty shocking to me that I couldn’t remember my daughter playing youth soccer, just one summer, I think.  I remember her playing basketball, I remember her playing volleyball, so I kind of think maybe she only played a game or two.  I think she played eight.  So that’s a little bit scary to me.

“For the first time in 44 years, that put a little fear in me. . . .  I think after 20 years, God only knows the toll.”

That’s a much more somber message than the one projected four years ago, when Favre was interviewed by Cris Collinsworth prior to a Sunday night game involving the Vikings.

“People have asked me how many concussion I’ve had,” Favre said, “and I say, ‘I don’t remember.’”

Favre paused for a laugh, but he didn’t get one.

“There’s probably no telling,” Favre said.

Indeed there isn’t.  Favre played the bulk of his career before the NFL became sensitive to concussions and other mild brain trauma regarded in the past as a mere ringing of the bell.  Favre fought through plenty of injuries over the years, and it would be foolish to think he didn’t suffer plenty of concussions in the years before concussions were taken seriously.

It’s all the more reason for Favre to stay retired.  With U.S. Judge Anita Brody scheduled to give preliminary approval to the concussion settlement on Monday, any player who is retired at that point is eligible for compensation in the event of a current or future “severe cognitive impairment.”  While Favre may not be severely impaired now, staying out of the NFL keeps him qualified for future compensation, if the situation worsens over time.

Permalink 63 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Minnesota Vikings, New York Jets, Rumor Mill, St. Louis Rams, Top Stories
63 Responses to “When Favre says he’s done, this time he means it”
  1. filthymcnasty1 says: Oct 25, 2013 2:51 PM

His stress free days are now filled with lawn mowing and cell phone photography.

2. pftstory says: Oct 25, 2013 2:55 PM

Is it wrong of me to wonder if he is smart enough to claim to not remember something he actually does?

3. thestrategyexpert says: Oct 25, 2013 2:55 PM

But how much potential compensation would he be giving up in relation to how much salary he would get offered?

It blows my mind that ANY team in the NFL would call him with serious interest in wanting him to play. That’s pretty bad that 32 teams can’t figure out a better option than a 44 year old. I’m still skeptical as to whether he really got all these calls and legit offers, but bottom line of whether he wants to play or not, I’d bet anything to say that he CAN’T play and do a good job at his present age based upon the level he was at we last saw him. There’s just no way he would be a valuable asset to any team by going out on the field. Even if he could possibly play decent ball, that’s still not worth it to give up on using that time to check out guys who do have a future in this league.

4. dprouse says: Oct 25, 2013 2:58 PM

It’s especially difficult when Favre’s agent is the one stoking the fires. It was just a couple of weeks ago that Bus Cook talked about how Favre was in the best shape he had ever been in, arms were huge, blah blah blah. It sure sounded like he was encouraging some phone calls. I think it is clearly the right decision for Favre to stay retired, but it’s hard to blame the Rams for thinking that maybe he might entertain a half season comeback.

5. losangelesbillsofbuffalo says: Oct 25, 2013 2:59 PM

Heroes get remembered, but legends never die.

6. coachkilla6 says: Oct 25, 2013 3:01 PM

Favre should have both his thumbs surgically removed to put an end to this discussion once and for all. I mean, who would want a 44 year old QB with no thumbs? You know, besides Minnesota, Tampa Bay, Chicago, Jacksonville, St Louis, Cleveland, Houston, Oakland and Tennessee?

7. Wisconsin77 says: Oct 25, 2013 3:02 PM

One of the all time greats and one of the most entertaining, the NFL certainly hasn’t been the same without him. Though it would have been nice to see him do one more run, it would have only made sense with a Super Bowl contender. We’ll see you in a couple years when you take your rightful place in the HoF Brett!

8. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Oct 25, 2013 3:05 PM

No one on earth thinks that Favre is coming out of retirement and Favre hasn’t given any indication that he would consider it. Can we stop talking about it?

9. newagerocker says: Oct 25, 2013 3:08 PM

Yeah but what’s Terrell Owens think of all this?

10. nflpoker says: Oct 25, 2013 3:13 PM

No waffling this time. For all the hits and injuries he got, I agree that he must have gotten a lot of concussions. Besides, he doesn’t need football anymore. Money is certainly not an issue. Being with his family is as he says is whats important to him, as well it should be. If legit, hearing him say that he is scared has to carry a lot of wait.

All things considered, the Rams aren’t worth it.

11. nflpoker says: Oct 25, 2013 3:15 PM

Or should I say “weight”?

12. conormacleod says: Oct 25, 2013 3:15 PM

Just leave him alone.

13. dannyreneau says: Oct 25, 2013 3:16 PM

God, i miss watching this guy play. Nobody made the game as exciting as he did.

14. sonnysixpack says: Oct 25, 2013 3:17 PM

As a 45 year fan of the NFL, I have seen some DEVASTATING hits from the likes of players like Mike Curtis, Jack Tatum, Ronnie Lott and so forth..I love the Gladiator aspect of this game and sadly now I have come to realize that there is a huge price to pay for playing. I hope that Favre does not go the way of some of the other retirees.

15. nflpoker says: Oct 25, 2013 3:18 PM

filthymcnasty1 says:
    Oct 25, 2013 2:51 PM
    ——————————————–
    Not funny.

16. bucrightoff says: Oct 25, 2013 3:19 PM

Right, just like Josh Freeman really has a concusssion

17. farvite says: Oct 25, 2013 3:20 PM

Until Alex Smith goes down and Any Reid calls

Or if Russell Wilson gets hurt and Paul Allen charters a plane for Darrell Bevell.

The only reason this is a story is everyone knows #4 would give it one last go if a good opportunity opened.

18. jobotjones says: Oct 25, 2013 3:20 PM

This guy is washed up, he couldn’t make a team anyway. Move along media…

19. judsonjr says: Oct 25, 2013 3:23 PM

Favre definitely took a beating during his career. I remember in 2004 he got knocked silly against the Giants. The doctors said he couldn’t come back in, but he snuck away and told Mike Sherman the he was OK. So he came back in on a 4th down, threw a 30 yard TD, and then the team doctors took his helmet away.

20. voiceofrealism says: Oct 25, 2013 3:25 PM

Rick Spielman is a Magician says:Oct 25, 2013 3:05 PM

——————————————————-
    Why did you start talking about it?

21. footballfan01 says: Oct 25, 2013 3:26 PM

An All-Time great Viking. He should get inducted into their Ring of Honor.

22. sportsfan18 says: Oct 25, 2013 3:27 PM

I don’t buy it that he would sign on if it were the Chiefs or the Seahawks…

He already has won a Super Bowl.

He already is a HOF player.

Now maybe, just maybe had he NEVER won a Super Bowl, I could see him doing it for the last portion of the season with a strong contender…

But it’s all a moot point.

Besides, 2 Super Bowl wins won’t change his resume really at all. He’s still a HOF.

I mean if he had 4 Super Bowl wins and thought he could get a 5th to move ahead of Montana and Bradshaw…

But NONE of this makes sense…

23. filthymcnasty1 says: Oct 25, 2013 3:33 PM

Maybe he forgot he was married to Deanna when he texted those naughty pictures to Jenn Sterger.

24. kabasaman says: Oct 25, 2013 3:35 PM

He probably has a hard time rolling out of bed. Forget rolling out of the way of some 20 something D-end chasing his ass….

25. assuredmutualdestruction says: Oct 25, 2013 3:38 PM

Too many hard nose defenses on the Rams schedule to think seriously about coming there. I wouldn’t want to remember Brett Favre that way.

26. backdapack4evr says: Oct 25, 2013 3:43 PM

Seeing him in purple still cracks me up!!
    That boy ain’t right!!!

27. iced107 says: Oct 25, 2013 3:51 PM

The Rams never reached out to Favre – they made a joke on the phone when talking with Austin Davis’s agent (Davis and Favre have the same agent), someone took it and ran it literally.. Media always does this.

Kevin Demoff (Rams Chief operating officer) made a joke last year that he fainted once the rams got above .500 at one point…guess what was the headline on PFT the next line: “Rams COO faints as Rams win” or something along those lines..

Ian Rapaport reported this last night – guess PFT is picky about what they wanna report

28. stellarperformance says: Oct 25, 2013 3:52 PM

At least he didn’t forget his sense of humor…..he “Charlie Browned” the Vikings….big time.

29. shlort says: Oct 25, 2013 3:53 PM

His daughter played a few games odsoccer 15 years ago and Favre forgot? That is not a sign of anything. I have never played organized football in my life, I forget stuff that is irrelevant and Favre is exactly one week older than I am.

It is not that he doesn’t remember, it is that he probably wasn’t there to see it. Let me know when Favre forgets laying down to give Strahan that sack record or forgets about throwing Picks at the end of two seperate (with 2 different teams) NFC Championship games to bow out of the playoffs. Then I’ll think Favre has something wrong with his brain.

30. Rick Spielman is a Mountebank says: Oct 25, 2013 4:03 PM

Obviously, he’s not coming back to the Vikings. But, if he did, it’d be a threefold increase in quality at that position. Let that sink in for a minute. A 44-year old Grandpa who’s been out of football for 2+ years would be an improvement over the riff raff that we’re currently trotting out at QB. Dang.

31. trollymctrollface says: Oct 25, 2013 4:04 PM

In 2004 Favre suffered a concussion while playing the Giants. He ran back out on to the field a few plays later (without medical clearance). He came in on 4th and 5 and threw a 28 yard TD to Javon Walker. The play extended his streak of consecutive games with a TD pass to 29.

man’s game b*tches.

32. gerwinke1985 says: Oct 25, 2013 4:10 PM

Tiki is flabbergasted

33. footballfan58 says: Oct 25, 2013 4:11 PM

We all have our favorite “greatest of all time” players in the NFL. Brett is one of mine. Truly loved watching this gunslinger play!

34. calicowboysfan86 says: Oct 25, 2013 4:11 PM

He couldn’t/wouldn’t/shouldn’t play. At least he remembers he’s retired.

35. bobzilla1001 says: Oct 25, 2013 4:13 PM

He’s also probably forgotten how many millions of dollars he’s been paid. Football is a rough sport, which probably explains the players’ obscene salaries and $50,000-per-month pensions.

36. guitarmaninks says: Oct 25, 2013 4:14 PM

It isn’t that you forget where your glasses are it is that you forget that you wear glasses…Huge difference

37. tokyosandblaster says: Oct 25, 2013 4:23 PM

That’s too bad.

The vikings could use some help at Defensive Line, Offensive Line, Linebackers, & Defensive Back.

They look pretty solid at QB, though.

38. wolfmanpatriot says: Oct 25, 2013 4:34 PM

If he went to a team with an Oline that could allow him to stay in the pocket, he could probably pick apart most defenses.
    Question is, has he developed the maturity to resist the temptation and scramble for a heroic play.
    He did not show that discipline in his last few years.

39. axespray says: Oct 25, 2013 4:37 PM

Surprised he doesn’t have hand problems – with the way he always stiff armed 300 lb Dlinemen.

40. 2ruefan says: Oct 25, 2013 4:40 PM

shlort…
    You seem to be “shlort” on common sense.
    I’m SURE that Favre is NOT talking about his older daughter. Which STILL would not have been 15 years ago.

He’s talking about his youngest, born in 1999. Making her about 14 right now.

And probably referring to her soccer just a summer ago.

Breleigh (born July 13, 1999) turns 14 on her birthday in 2013.

41. nyjetsfan08 says: Oct 25, 2013 4:40 PM

With how concussions are treatednow, I see it as very unlikely that any QB, maybe any player, will approach Favre’s record for most consecutive starts for a QB (I think there’s a kicker who has more).

42. righthereisay says: Oct 25, 2013 4:44 PM

….or he will come back and this will make it even more dramatic.

Maybe he didn’t remember soccer because he didn’t go to many games. Probably too busy strategerizing how to blow games late.

43. whatjusthapped says: Oct 25, 2013 4:50 PM

Maybe the Saints gave him a concussion to the point that he forget that you shouldn’t throw across your body while your team is in field goal range with a trip to the Superbowl on the line. A long FG but it was closer before the 12 man in huddle penalty.

Too bad his memory is diminished, I am really enjoying this trip down memory lane.

44. thepvyharvin says: Oct 25, 2013 4:52 PM

The QBs today look like cupcakes compared to Favre. Hope that tool Johnny Football can make the pros. He has some Favre in him…

45. igorjohnson88 says: Oct 25, 2013 4:54 PM

There is no way at 44 and haven’t had played in over 3 years he could be competitive with any team. Leave the guy in peace for crying out loud. Such a dead horse.

46. granadafan says: Oct 25, 2013 4:59 PM

No wonder he kept “coming back”. He forgot he retired and was bewildered when told that the team’s moved on.

47. filthymcnasty1 says: Oct 25, 2013 5:36 PM

Favre’s career has a Paul Bunyon like mythical quality to it – that is, some truth, sprinkled with a lot of exaggeration. For proof, examine the last 10 years of his career in detail.

48. jwil444 says: Oct 25, 2013 5:46 PM

yes, I’m sure he’s worried about monies from the NFL settlement……..he live in MS, probably the richest guy in the state.

49. flyiton says: Oct 25, 2013 5:53 PM

And he cant remember his time in NY Jenn who?

50. 6kingswest says: Oct 25, 2013 6:19 PM

filthymcnasty1 says:
    Oct 25, 2013 3:33 PM

_________

and we’re all certain that you enjoy viewing those pictures on a daily basis!

Best Regards,

A TASTELESS Viking Fan.

P.S. If your Edmonton Eskimo ‘knockoffs’ happen to lose to the Vikings Sunday night, you will truly learn the meaning of ‘tasteless’.

51. maxinquaye7 says: Oct 25, 2013 6:21 PM

‘strategerizing’ is my new favorite word.

52. vikescry1 says: Oct 25, 2013 6:39 PM

Rick Spielman is a Magician says:
    Oct 25, 2013 3:05 PM

———————————————————————————————————————————————— tell your gm to stop calling him then!!!

53. idontliveinmymomsbasement says: Oct 25, 2013 7:03 PM

WHEW!!!!!!! Thank God it wasn’t because he ate Vicodin like it was candy and drank like a fish. The nail in the coffin was the Strahan “sack” to wrap up that record.

54. Paul M. says: Oct 25, 2013 7:28 PM

Brett Favre was a great player.

His only failure was when he quit on Less Frazier.

But that’s understandable.

55. hansenbrothers says: Oct 25, 2013 7:55 PM

As a kid I remember watching the game where he got a concussion, came out for a play, threw up, and then came back in and threw a touchdown. At the time, we were talking about how tough he was. Now, I kind of shudder to think of the damage that was done.

56. TheWizard says: Oct 25, 2013 8:42 PM

What he didn’t forget is perhaps a way to get himself inserted back into the news.

57. vegasgreek says: Oct 25, 2013 9:24 PM

Favre would come back in a heart beat to a contending team if it suddenly need a QB. He always wanted to be a Cowboy and if anything happened to Romo Crazy Jerry would sign Favre in an instant to sell tickets and continue the Carnival in Dallas. Personally i would love to see the Raiders rebuild their offensive line in the off season and move to LA and Sign Favre next season as the new George Blanda coming off the bench to win games in the clutch.

58. usdcoyotesfan says: Oct 25, 2013 10:09 PM

It’s only a matter of time before he’s an old man, playing football in a wheelchair!

59. natijim235 says: Oct 25, 2013 10:51 PM

good to see his brain not scrambled enough yet for him to realize his playing days are beyond over

60. classyjacklambert says: Oct 25, 2013 11:01 PM

Favre was a great QB. Then he kind of showed he was a real DB of a person in his later career. I feel like if what he says is true, then I feel really bad for him, but at this point I don’t know what to believe when he speaks.

61. countyk66ers says: Oct 26, 2013 6:06 AM

He still needs to break some of Blanda’s records so he will be back.

62. uksaintsfan says: Oct 26, 2013 6:45 AM

pftstory says: Oct 25, 2013 2:55 PM

________________________________

I agree with your line of thought.
    I was always led to believe that these guys were paid vast amounts because of the short number of years they are on the field and because of the actual physical nature of the game.
    But it raises the question; – How much money does a multi -millionaire need to live out the rest of his life. Despite the fact that those who were in the limelight more than others ,seem to end up commentating on one tv cannel or another getting paid vast amounts yet again.

63. turfrage says: Oct 26, 2013 2:52 PM

Testaverde came back at 44, Farve is much better. Loved watching this guy. No one on the field today even compares. They’re all boring, predictable. Not the gunslinger.