Bengals crush Jets to solidify hold on AFC North

Andy Dalton, Marvin Jones AP

Anywhere you looked on Sunday, there was a Bengals player making a big play.

There was A.J. Green with a pair of 53-yard receptions and Marvin Jones scoring four touchdowns in a coming out party. Andy Dalton threw five touchdowns, a career best, and threw for more than 300 yards for the third straight week.

On defense, Chris Crocker and Adam Jones each returned interceptions for touchdowns and the entire unit thwarted just about everything the Jets tried to do when they had the ball. The Jets gained just 240 yards on the day and some of that came in garbage time when Matt Simms replaced Geno Smith at quarterback.

It all adds up to a 49-9 victory that leaves the Bengals in command of the AFC North. They’re 6-2 and the only team with a winning record through eight weeks of the season, creating quite a cushion for them to ride into the second half of the season. The only thing that might be troubling is injuries as the Bengals saw linebacker Rey Maualuga, wide receiver Mohamed Sanu and safety Taylor Mays leave with injuries during the game.

With a short week before their Week Nine date with the Dolphins in Miami, the Bengals may have to work around some absences. Unfortunately for the Dolphins, none of the injuries slowed them down the least this week and the Bengals will come into town with a ton of momentum after their fourth straight victory.

Permalink 56 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
56 Responses to “Bengals crush Jets to solidify hold on AFC North”
  1. getweird4u says: Oct 27, 2013 7:06 PM

Joe Toronto: The raiders still suck…2013

2. grogansheroes says: Oct 27, 2013 7:08 PM

I hope the Jets fans enjoyed their Super Bowl win last week. The Jets have four wins this year, two by result of a yellow flag. I knew they would lose this week, but didn’t know they would completely crumble.

3. Rhode Island Patriots Fan says: Oct 27, 2013 7:10 PM

After their victory over the Patriots, the high-flying Jets are now predictably back down to Earth, where they’ll likely stay grounded against the Saints next week.

4. backdapack4evr says: Oct 27, 2013 7:13 PM

Rex’s just don’t fare we’ll in the NFL!!
    Rex Ryan. Horrible coach
    Rex Grossman. Horrible QB

Any more???

5. sellout1983 says: Oct 27, 2013 7:14 PM

It was awesome watching this seal beating today. Who Dey!

6. 1rockyracoon says: Oct 27, 2013 7:14 PM

Silly Jets, you’re not a good team.

7. doctorrustbelt says: Oct 27, 2013 7:15 PM

Today…. Andy Dalton had the most touchdowns of any quarterback in the NFL and the 3rd most yards…..

WHILE ONLY PLAYING THREE QUARTERS.

8. chuckie201 says: Oct 27, 2013 7:15 PM

being a jet fan, its easy to say that this team loses their focus very easily

9. junglerat524 says: Oct 27, 2013 7:16 PM

That was about as textbook as a butt whoopin could be without a whip.

10. bengalskuta82 says: Oct 27, 2013 7:17 PM

What a game by the Bengals

11. strokinmyego says: Oct 27, 2013 7:17 PM

With the Saints on tap next week 4-5 looks like a definite for the Jets. If the Patriots can win next week they’ll have a stranglehold on the AFC East. I hope Jets fans enjoyed their one moment of glory.

The Bengals are a really good team. Denver may have the flash but I’ll take teams like the Bengals with great defenses in January over offensive teams with bad defenses like Denver.

12. brafootball says: Oct 27, 2013 7:18 PM

Not a Jets fan, but it’s funny that all the Pats fans are coming out of the woodwork for this. Should probably spend more time coming to terms with how ordinary and inaccurate Brady has become.

13. mrbigg513 says: Oct 27, 2013 7:19 PM

Who dey

14. bengalguy says: Oct 27, 2013 7:21 PM

Dalton is no fluke……kid just wins! Bengals are gettin’ a little dinged up and this short week is gonna be a tough test. But things are lookin’ good in the North! WHO DEY!!!

15. t8ertot says: Oct 27, 2013 7:22 PM

Yeah, noodle arm. Where you at Joe?

And your pathetic Faiders are letting the Steelers back in the game

16. zeke2517 says: Oct 27, 2013 7:22 PM

“The Jets have four wins this year, two by result of a yellow flag.”

So, like, that’s four wins, right?

17. waynesborokennyg says: Oct 27, 2013 7:24 PM

Bring on the Dolphins

18. bleedrangerblue says: Oct 27, 2013 7:35 PM

Great game cinci. I’m licking my wounds. Let’s go Jets!!!! Solid game Bengals. Hats off. Lick lick…..

19. ironyisadeadscene says: Oct 27, 2013 7:36 PM

They are who we they were

20. ironyisadeadscene says: Oct 27, 2013 7:38 PM

ugh, thought they were

21. jjackwagon says: Oct 27, 2013 7:39 PM

Fellas,
    You know Trollonto is nothing but a seagull. He flies in, squawks a lot then flies away.

22. strokinmyego says: Oct 27, 2013 7:41 PM

“Should probably spend more time coming to terms with how ordinary and inaccurate Brady has become.”

6-2 pal. Harp on Brady’s issues all you want but the Patriots are at 6-2 and in control of the AFC East. With a defense that’s still playing extremely well. My guess is you are a Jets fan that’s too embarrassed to admit it. If you were a fan of a decent team you would have stated it in your post.

23. pastabelly101 says: Oct 27, 2013 7:46 PM

Rex and the Jests won their Superbowl last week on a pathetic call that we will not see the rest of the season. These perennial losers will always be losers as long as Woody and Rex are around. Pats 6-2!

24. ryann252013 says: Oct 27, 2013 7:58 PM

Love how the Pats fans come out of the woods to trash the jets now. Thumping there chests because they are beating up on the likes of the Jets, Bills, Miami, Tampa Bay and Atlanta.

25. thegenoatkinsdiet says: Oct 27, 2013 8:03 PM

Marvin Jones scored 36.2 points for my fantasy team today. That is more than Joe Elite put up in his last two games combined.

26. richardgozinya says: Oct 27, 2013 8:06 PM

There isn’t a team in the AFC East that should be in the playoffs.

27. vegasgreek says: Oct 27, 2013 8:11 PM

HOW IS NOT SO FAT REX’S DEFENSE LOOKING NOW ? JETS= JOKE OF THE NFL ! 44 YRS AND NO SNIFF OF A SB !

28. icanthelpitimabengalsfan says: Oct 27, 2013 8:17 PM

I said this before this game on the comments section of the week 8 predictions.

This was a stomping…it wasn’t close! The Bengals ran, passed and defensively manhandled the Jets. I expected it.

Also, Dalton is for real. He made one mistake today and it resulted in a pick. He gets it…

The Darfins will be tough on Thursday, but this team is starting to play like they are able.

The last time they won 4 games at home to start the season they went to the Super Bowl….I am a superstitious type…looking good!

29. 8man says: Oct 27, 2013 8:22 PM

I stopped laughing at 35-9. We can only imagine how bad things can go against New Orleans.

30. azarkhan says: Oct 27, 2013 8:25 PM

ryann252013 says: Love how the Pats fans come out of the woods to trash the jets now.

Correction. We always trash the Jets, even when they win, because we enjoy it.

31. jimache06197714 says: Oct 27, 2013 8:29 PM

ryann252013 says: Oct 27, 2013 7:58 PM

…. i think you purposely missed one my friend … Saints … but, why let facts get in the way a a perfectly crafted … why do i even bother….

32. strokinmyego says: Oct 27, 2013 8:45 PM

“Thumping there chests because they are beating up on the likes of the Jets, Bills, Miami, Tampa Bay and Atlanta.”

Conveniently left out New Orleans eh? Nice try. The Patriots also beat Atlanta at full strength. The Saints only have one loss and that’s to the Patriots. Neither Denver or Kansas City have beaten even one team with a winning record. Nice try Patriots hater.

33. realskipbayless says: Oct 27, 2013 8:49 PM

Who dey

34. jcioffi1485 says: Oct 27, 2013 9:08 PM

after watching Carson Quitter lose over and over to Rex. it’s great to see Rex and the Jets get beaten with the buckle end of the belt

35. teletomcat says: Oct 27, 2013 9:10 PM

Gino can’t throw the ball and catch it too!

36. mrlaloosh says: Oct 27, 2013 9:11 PM

Could be a great Super Bowl. The Who Deys vs. the Who Dats!

37. Patskrieg dot com says: Oct 27, 2013 9:12 PM

That’s weird. No one laid down and died, or handed the game over to the Jets and they lost.

I wonder what the connection could be?

38. partmachine says: Oct 27, 2013 9:12 PM

Bengals look legit. Dalton still needs to prove himself in January but that defense is no joke. I sold my soul last year to get Ed and Ray a ring together so I’m not even mad.

39. agentzero321 says: Oct 27, 2013 9:26 PM

And my friends (Steelers fans) thought I was crazy for picking the Bengals to win their division…

40. crownofthehelmet says: Oct 27, 2013 9:33 PM

Big deal, it was the Jets. Who hasn’t beaten them.

41. easywolf says: Oct 27, 2013 10:28 PM

Jets…fathead lardo Ryan with his goofballl shirts that are stuck to his skin thought and their low iq fans thought they were the greatest team on the planet after their win vs the patriots last week…look at these losers now

42. iamapatsfan says: Oct 27, 2013 10:37 PM

Welp, after soundly defeating the Pats, I certainly wasn’t feeling much love for the Bengals. And I’ve always like their team, both because of the helmets (come one, tiger stripes?! Awesome!) and because they have been the perennial underdogs behind the Ravens and Steelers, and here they are, finally achieving something good with a bright, young team.

Then they go and put this up on the Jets?!! I love you again Bengals! I hope they go far in the playoffs, just not further than the Pats.

God, their D is ridiculous. Keeping that AFC North Defensive legend alive when the main teams that held it for the last decade (or four or five or so) are starting to slip.

43. iamapatsfan says: Oct 27, 2013 10:38 PM

ryann252013 says:
    Oct 27, 2013 7:58 PM

Oh, and those high-flying Saints, but that doesn’t fit into your storyline, so you’ll just leave that one out, hey?

44. voyager6 says: Oct 27, 2013 10:38 PM

Two things:

1) Rex should have spent less time trying to win the war of words with Belechek and spend it on game prep.

2) Bet they wish they had Revis and Cromartie again!

45. nodindenver says: Oct 27, 2013 10:49 PM

The Jets flat out suck! Where was the play D and run the ball Ryan team. That effort was flat out pathetic and the Jeckyl and Hyde Jets continue.

46. trollaikman8 says: Oct 27, 2013 10:49 PM

This was a bye week for the Jets since they beat the Patriots last week.
    #4-12

47. fnf417 says: Oct 27, 2013 11:09 PM

JoeToronto is a clown

48. sinkisaurinal says: Oct 27, 2013 11:45 PM

these dalton bashers need to go away,,, you just sound stupid

49. brafootball says: Oct 28, 2013 12:21 AM

strokinmyego” “Harp on Brady’s issues all you want”
    —————
    I already did. He’s looking ordinary and inaccurate, as previously stated. But you and all Pats fans already know that and are still struggling with it, so I understand the hostility.

“If you were a fan of a decent team you would have stated it in your post.”

So I must 1) root for a bad team because I didn’t bother mentioning one, and 2) rooting for a bad team would invalidate my point about Brady’s decline? Epic logic fail, bro.

50. wnstonchill says: Oct 28, 2013 3:52 AM

The Bengals are ruining Rex Ryan’s life…..
    For that I say, I LOVE YOU BENGALS!
    Plus, to top it off with a Patriots victory….
    Let’s just say it made my decade!!!!

51. kingcasper says: Oct 28, 2013 5:30 AM

Yep….and I was right last week….Geno Smith sucks….

52. pabrownsfan says: Oct 28, 2013 6:57 AM

Congrats to al Bengal fans. I did not ge to watch the game. I was too busy watching my Browns lose. I live in yinzer country and al my Steeler friends thought I was out of my mind when I told them to watch out for Cinci this year!

53. guitarkevin says: Oct 28, 2013 9:20 AM

Bengals having a solid year. At least someone in the AFCN is representing. My Ravens think they are still on summer vacation.

54. whodeybacker says: Oct 28, 2013 11:03 AM

I thought this could be a tight game. And whoever won the battle of the trenches would win the game. Easy on ripping the Jets. Dont count them out . But on Sunday our lines played better than theirs. And IF you dont get to Dalton, hes showing he will make u pay with all the weapons he has. Game Ball goes to the offensive live .

55. thegenoatkinsdiet says: Oct 28, 2013 12:10 PM

crownofthehelmet says:
    Oct 27, 2013 9:33 PM
    Big deal, it was the Jets. Who hasn’t beaten them.

They’ve beaten two more teams than the Steelers have.

56. hopelessincincy says: Oct 28, 2013 3:23 PM

The Bungles are a true house of cards. Will these guys ever play anybody…huh?? Anybody? The Cincinnati One&Doner’s…no playoff wins again