Schiano tells Bucs players they’re stuck with him

Schiano AP

As the Buccaneers prepare to head to Seattle in Week Nine before welcoming the Dolphins and the spotlight of Monday Night Football to Tampa in Week 10, the status of coach Greg Schiano remains murky.

According to Jay Glazer of FOX Sports, Schiano told the team that he met with owners at some point after Thursday night’s loss to the Panthers.  Per Glazer, Schiano also told the players that they are stuck with him.

The question is for how long?  Some believe that Schiano could be bounced after the inevitable thumping in Seattle.  Otherwise, the organization will suffer a potentially enormous national embarrassment the following Monday night, when plenty of fans don’t show up and those who do continue to express loudly their opinion that Schiano should be fired.

The Bucs have shown in the past a propensity to make changes when changes aren’t expected.  With Schiano, change will likely remain expected until it happens.

Permalink 52 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Top Stories
52 Responses to “Schiano tells Bucs players they’re stuck with him”
  1. nfl4days says: Oct 27, 2013 3:48 PM

Saints fan here, I feel for you bucs fans. Hang in there.

2. realfootballfan says: Oct 27, 2013 3:48 PM

It would be too funny if he got fired tonight after saying this asinine nonsense.

3. gloryfromheaven says: Oct 27, 2013 3:51 PM

Jon Gruden shall return

4. steelersaregodsteam says: Oct 27, 2013 3:52 PM

The players should boycott like Grambling State did.

5. slick1ru2 says: Oct 27, 2013 3:52 PM

I grew up a Dolphin fan from the late 60s but when Marino left and the Don was no longer the coach and the culture of the team changed, I started rooting for the Bucs who are located near my hometown. So, I consider both as my teams, so Monday night I am going to be torn. But no matter what, get Schiano out of Tampa. ASAP. Have to root for a Miami win because they have the biggest chance for the playoffs.

6. Rick Spielman is a Mountebank says: Oct 27, 2013 3:54 PM

Really? That’s what he said? Is he trying to get fired?

7. peed1 says: Oct 27, 2013 3:57 PM

What a mess.

8. serkeljerks says: Oct 27, 2013 3:58 PM

I say fire him DURING the Seattle game! Come on! Make it fun for us all!

9. ninthwardfriend says: Oct 27, 2013 3:59 PM

This man sounds like a drunk husband…

10. thetooloftools says: Oct 27, 2013 4:00 PM

This is the WORST thing you can tell your players.

11. jakec4 says: Oct 27, 2013 4:05 PM

Mr. Personality for sure. Sandpaper isn’t as abrasive.

12. loyalraven says: Oct 27, 2013 4:06 PM

Greg schiano doesn’t give a buc

13. squapity says: Oct 27, 2013 4:07 PM

Too bad it wasn’t the Bucs in England this weekend. The Glazers could have left him there to coach Manchester United.

14. floridascuba1 says: Oct 27, 2013 4:07 PM

Bring on lovie smith

15. nflpoker says: Oct 27, 2013 4:11 PM

Schiano’s picture is next to the word “arrogant” in the dictionary.

16. onebucplace says: Oct 27, 2013 4:13 PM

The Bucs are playing for the first overall draft pick and the only way they have a chance to beat out Jacksonville is to keep Schiano at the helm.

If Schiano is still there for the MNF game I will be there too – to boo the guy out of the building. The fans truly hate this guy, that MNF game will make for fantastic TV if Schiano is still coach.

17. chargerdillon says: Oct 27, 2013 4:17 PM

The vote of confidence is more often than not the kiss of death.

Per the article he met with upper management which indicates it was discussed to some degree.

I’m pretty darn sure the talk didn’t go “Greg you’re doing a great job, don’t change a thing!”

The vultures are circling

18. thestrategyexpert says: Oct 27, 2013 4:24 PM

Well if you are a player, especially one who is high paid with big leverage like a Darrelle Revis is, then you are NOT STUCK with a coach you don’t like.

All you have to do is say “CHALLENGE ACCEPTED” and become a malcontent. The player is almost always going to win that battle and prove the Coach is wrong. You are only stuck with Schiano if you choose to accept how he sees things.

19. llonll says: Oct 27, 2013 4:25 PM

Can’t see them making a move till after the season. The manner in which moves were made both before and during the season have been questionable. At this point could it get worse, more embarrassing? It’s more likely Dominick is shown the door at the year’s end. So, the real question might be to what point might the Glazer’s be willing to endure the scrutiny? And one more thing, did anyone notice whether the broadcast should reactions of the Glazer’s?

20. natelan69 says: Oct 27, 2013 4:27 PM

Not For Long

21. brutusmandingo says: Oct 27, 2013 4:29 PM

I don’t believe those His exact words media unfortunately twist everything he’s becomes a punching bad and it’s because he’s 0-7

22. braceyourselffor12 says: Oct 27, 2013 4:30 PM

Yeah that should motivate them.

23. bucdale says: Oct 27, 2013 4:33 PM

Glazers Please….. SHOW NO MRSA…. FIRE SCHIANO NOW!!!!!

24. fiezzybeatz says: Oct 27, 2013 4:37 PM

I don’t know about the embarrassment, have you seen the dolphins play lately? That might be the bucs bounce back game!

25. baller2 says: Oct 27, 2013 4:44 PM

He clearly doesn’t understand how the nfl works. You lose your locker room you lose your job. Ask around, Greg and start packing.

26. bcajun says: Oct 27, 2013 4:44 PM

As a saints fan…OH YEAH KEEP THIS TURD…lovin this

27. sikoix says: Oct 27, 2013 4:55 PM

Sounds very motivational. I feel sorry for Buc fans (and that’s coming from a Vikings fan).

28. isphet71 says: Oct 27, 2013 4:58 PM

I bet Schiano also treats his waiters and waitresses like crap.

I wonder how much spit he’s eaten in his lifetime. Probably a lot.

29. immafubared says: Oct 27, 2013 5:01 PM

Schiano told the team ‘ The owners said once you start playing football and winning some games, then and only then will they consider dumping me’. ‘So keep sucking thinking I’m getting fired and your stuck with me’.

30. shaggyjeff says: Oct 27, 2013 5:01 PM

He is starting to look worse than Petrino , which I didn’t think was possible …

31. patsman85 says: Oct 27, 2013 5:03 PM

Just another egomaniac college coach who didn’t even win anything at that level. The Belichick dictator act doesn’t really work with no resume behind it.

Belichick has spent almost 40 years in the NFL and worked his way up from grunt to multi-Superbowl winning head coach in that time. Some of these new guys really don’t seem to understand that respect needs to be earned.

32. packerman1968 says: Oct 27, 2013 5:24 PM

slick1ru2 says:
    Oct 27, 2013 3:52 PM
    ————————————————————–

So what you are really saying , is that you are a fair weather fan and a bandwagon jumper.

33. bobsnygiants says: Oct 27, 2013 5:25 PM

of course they will stick with him, he has them on a short leash

34. cgsuddeath says: Oct 27, 2013 5:32 PM

For now.

35. onebucplace says: Oct 27, 2013 5:36 PM

gloryfromheaven says:
    Jon Gruden shall return

————

He needs Dungy, Kiffin and Rich McKay to return first and build a team that he can win with.

36. TheNaturalMevs says: Oct 27, 2013 5:46 PM

What a prick, to tell the players they’re stuck with him. I hate this guy.

37. mannyicey says: Oct 27, 2013 6:17 PM

So I wonder what college team Schiano will be coaching next year. New Mexico State? Southern Polytechnic?

38. juradura says: Oct 27, 2013 6:19 PM

Feel bad for Mike Glennon he’s a Schiano Man.

39. corvusrex96 says: Oct 27, 2013 6:21 PM

Still don’t know how a mediocre coach in the Big East scored an NFL gig

40. footballnut85 says: Oct 27, 2013 6:25 PM

Seriously? This goof was the coach at Rutgers! Not exactly a national powerhouse!

41. ocdn says: Oct 27, 2013 6:26 PM

Lion’s fan here……sorry Bucs. This guy needs to go.

42. 1rockyracoon says: Oct 27, 2013 6:31 PM

I’m sure Schiano wouldn’t mind getting fired. He will get paid the rest of his contract and will be able to walk away from the mess he helped to create. Bucs fans, this is an organizational problem, it’s not all the coaches fault.

43. scandiman says: Oct 27, 2013 7:37 PM

There is no I in TEAM, but there is an I in SCHIANO!

44. earpaniac says: Oct 27, 2013 7:38 PM

If he’s still the coach for that MNF game (conceding the loss to SEA) you really have to question the Glazers’ sanity. There is one thing to anger a fan base and the players, and then there is…..this.

45. Rutgersknight says: Oct 27, 2013 7:57 PM

Many Rutgers fans and alumni, myself included, were happy to see him go. He was always arrogant and stubborn, but that was ok when he was building the program from the doormat it was. But he plateaued because of his limitations as a gameday coach. Never won a big game for us.

That same arrogance will probably keep him in the NFL as a defensive assistant. I don’t think his ego will allow him to come back to middling program and I think he’s done too much damage to his reputation to get a top job.

46. Mr. Wright 212 says: Oct 27, 2013 8:07 PM

Classic Napoleonic Complex, gets a little power and is more focused on letting you know he’s got it, than actually doing his job.

47. pgilbert2013 says: Oct 27, 2013 8:37 PM

Buc fans, my heart goes out to you. Hang in there, the league is cyclical and in no time you’ll have a great non-college head coach (maybe a Gruden reunion) to turn the ship around.

As a 49er fan we stunk for years… I remember Smith getting boo’d so badly on Monday night football when Singletary tossed him under the bus. Once the Yorkshire pulled the trigger it was a 180 degree turn around.

That being said… Need to see more Dreamsicle uni’s!

48. petedutcherjr says: Oct 27, 2013 11:45 PM

Clueless. You people really think he used those exact words??? Idiots. Lol.

Schiano is fine. The media and fans hate him, but the Glazers believe in him…so he is staying.

Bucs already had a bye. This week gave them 10 days between games as well. If it were going to happen it would be now. It isn’t…so it won’t.

49. Foghorn The IKonoclast says: Oct 28, 2013 12:28 AM

This team will be as patient as they always are and they are trying to resurrect the old days of Hugh Culverhouse.

50. drunkwino says: Oct 28, 2013 4:31 PM

This IS the guy who said “Josh Freeman is our starting QB,” a day or two before benching him and running him off. So you see, this is great news for Buc fans.

51. cospgsmadman says: Oct 28, 2013 6:10 PM

This guy is almost as bad as McDaniels

52. footballnut85 says: Oct 28, 2013 7:47 PM

This goof coached Rutgers for crying out loud. How could anyone expect him to be a successful NFL coach!