Clay Matthews gets the pins out next Monday

Clay Matthews AP

The Packers defense got by without outside linebacker Clay Matthews, but they clearly miss him.

Now, they might be getting him back sooner than expected.

Matthews told Rob Demovsky of ESPN.com that he was getting the pins removed from his broken right thumb next Monday, and could possibly play as soon as the Nov. 10 game against the Eagles.

I’m hoping for the best, but it was a unique break,” Matthews said. “I’m praying for the best when they take [the pins] out. It could be as early as Philadelphia. It could be as late as Thanksgiving [at Detroit]. Hopefully, there’s nothing unforeseen when they do that.”

He broke his thumb Oct. 6 against the Lions, and needed surgery the next day to stabilize the break, which was near the base of the thumb.

Getting him back on the field will help a defense that has played well against the run, but needs his presence on pass-rushing downs.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill
13 Responses to “Clay Matthews gets the pins out next Monday”
  1. nyyjetsknicks says: Oct 28, 2013 8:30 AM

“I’m hoping for the best, but it was a unique break,” Matthews said. “I’m praying for the best when they take [the pins] out.

_____________

Talking into thin air won’t do anything. Medical science will.

2. filthymcnasty1 says: Oct 28, 2013 9:07 AM

Clay needs to take as much time as it takes to heal fully. This defense is ridiculously deep and can cover for his absence.

3. floratiotime says: Oct 28, 2013 10:07 AM

Getting the roids out will take a bit longer.

4. wda628 says: Oct 28, 2013 10:51 AM

Why not wear one of those big ball mushroom shaped casts like many lineman do with a broken appendage?

5. vikescry1 says: Oct 28, 2013 11:38 AM

wda628 says:
    Oct 28, 2013 10:51 AM

———————————————————————————————————————————————————- he has pins in it and if it doesn’t heal properly his thumb may become unuseable. it will just flop around and he won’t be able to grip things with it.

6. axespray says: Oct 28, 2013 11:38 AM

Oh yeah, we’re getting an All Pro Linebacker back soon.

7. packerfanfordecades says: Oct 28, 2013 11:41 AM

My first thought was that the big ball-at-the-end cast could work. But …… two things ….

a. The thumb has two tendons coming out of the hand/wrist and they can be pretty delicate. I broke my wrist and one of those tendons doesn’t work any more because I was moving the thumb too much while the cast was still on. So now, I can’t get the part of the thumb with the nail to bend backwards anymore. If I grabbed jerseys for a living, that would be 20% harder to do now. So, I’m thinking that the Pack is protecting those tendons from movement and impact as much as they are protecting a fracture to the bone.

b. I also miss seeing Clay make big plays and hope he can make it back soon. But, right now, the defense is doing pretty well without him. So, let’s let him heal up well.

Clay, I hope lots of people pray that the Lord sustain your health. I just did.

God bless

8. ma5terbla5t3r says: Oct 28, 2013 1:02 PM

Now he can get back to sharing the supply with Rogers…supplied by Ryan Braun. Bank on it!

9. kevishu says: Oct 28, 2013 3:36 PM

With the relatively soft schedule the Packers have, and as well as the second stringers are doing, I don’t see a need to get Matthews back on the field until he’s 100% sure he’s healed up.

10. dwarftosser says: Oct 28, 2013 4:05 PM

Nov 10th is exactly when they were expecting him back, not earlier. (although it is a surprise when these things go to schedule)

11. crownofthehelmet says: Oct 28, 2013 4:09 PM

Charity Bowlathon?

12. esotericmindguy says: Oct 28, 2013 6:30 PM

I just love the haters on here about Clay and steroids. One, he’s likely doing what 95% of the rest of the players are doing and two he’s never tested positive. He’s just better than the rest. Pretty simple.

As for ripping Rodgers for roids, do some reading before posting. He’s severed all business relationships with Braun and hasn’t spoken to him since the incident. I get its hard to be a Vikings fan, maybe turn to woman’s basketball, only winning franchise in town. Haha

13. randalpnaditch says: Oct 30, 2013 3:54 AM

His fracture is called a Bennets fracture. Look it up. It became obvious to me why he should not use it until it is completly healed. Do not rush it. Go Pack