Stafford decided on QB sneak when he saw Cowboys’ D standing up

Matthew Stafford AP

Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford scored the game-winning touchdown against the Cowboys on Sunday on a play the Lions hadn’t practiced and that none of his teammates or coaches knew he was going to run.

Stafford told Peter King of TheMMQB.com that he planned to get the offense set and spike the ball after Calvin Johnson was tackled inbounds at the 1-yard line. As Stafford sprinted toward the line while gesturing to his teammates to get into place, he was yelling at them that he was going to spike the ball, and that wasn’t an attempt to trick the Cowboys. That was what he really planned to do.

But in the split-second before Lions center Dominic Raiola snapped him the ball, Stafford noticed that the Cowboys’ defensive linemen weren’t getting down into their stances. That made Stafford think if he just lunged forward, he could stick the ball over the goal line before the Cowboys realized it had happened.

“So I’m on the line, and everyone in the stadium thinks I’m spiking it, and that was the plan,’’ Stafford said. “The other 10 guys [on offense] thought I was too. I thought I was—but then I saw a couple of their guys, almost standing up, and I just had this thought: Maybe I could make it by sneaking, or just putting the ball over the line. Maybe that was our best chance. . . . You just feel it. Hard to explain. You just go to the line and you feel it sometimes, and I just felt: Our best chance is me taking the ball and diving it over. I mean, all we were was three inches from the end zone.”

The Lions were out of timeouts, so if the Cowboys’ defense had been more prepared than Stafford thought, and he had been tackled short of the end zone, Detroit might not have had time to run another play. Stafford said he took the chance knowing that he’d be the goat if he didn’t get into the end zone.

“Oh, no question,’’ he said. “That was it. That would have been the last play of the game; we weren’t getting another one off. That runs through your mind. You think, ‘Boy, I’ll get a minus on the play sheet when we go over this.’”

Instead of a minus on the play sheet, Stafford made one of the best plays of the season.

Permalink 103 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Detroit Lions, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
103 Responses to “Stafford decided on QB sneak when he saw Cowboys’ D standing up”
  1. blowpackblow says: Oct 28, 2013 11:43 AM

What a heads up play! That is stuff that usually happens to the Lions, congrats Detroit.

2. getyourownname says: Oct 28, 2013 11:43 AM

It was a smart play. So often players don’t show this kind of initiative when an unforeseen situation arises.

3. mogogo1 says: Oct 28, 2013 11:43 AM

4. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Oct 28, 2013 11:44 AM

Man, the Cowboys earned this loss. Horrible situational awareness from the players through the coaches through the GM/Owner. So much foolishness – not to mention selfishness and immaturity on top of all that.

I still find it comical that the GM with the longest tenure in the NFL (because he refuses to fire himself) boldly declared he feared Reggie Bush far more than he was concerned about anything Calvin Johnson could do.

Epic – what a clownshow.

5. steelerben says: Oct 28, 2013 11:44 AM

If the Lions end up winning the division or a Wildcard by one victory, this is going to go down as the most clutch play of the season.

6. lgbarn says: Oct 28, 2013 11:45 AM

Great play…capped off what could have been a disastrous game for the Lions. This loss can’t be blamed on Romo, because he did his job. Allowing a receiver to literally run all over the place without someone putting a body on him.

7. titansbro says: Oct 28, 2013 11:47 AM

It really was a brilliant play.

8. theboneski3 says: Oct 28, 2013 11:48 AM

This was some of the best football I’ve seen in a LONG time. I’m not a fan of either team and there I was screaming and yelling at the television, so excited. Baseball may be America’s Pastime, but Football is America’s Passion. And this is why.

Thank you, Matt Stafford!

9. ronmexicoaquafina says: Oct 28, 2013 11:48 AM

Smart, heads-up plays like this makes me realize how bad my team is at QB right now (Eagles).

Great job by Stafford on the play. Also, because of how great this play was to win the game, people are overlooking how great those throws were on the game-winning drive. Again, makes me realize how far away my team is from a good QB.

10. granadafan says: Oct 28, 2013 11:48 AM

As a fan of neither team, I was highly entertained by this game. The back and forth “duel” had us at the edge of our seats. Dez Bryant and Calvin Johnson put on a great show. Of course the defenses were just awful.

11. ttommytom says: Oct 28, 2013 11:50 AM

No guts no glory. You gotta respect a guy who goes for it.

Stafford is not some overpaid idiot. He’s a kid who loves what he does. Good for him…

12. getatmeplease says: Oct 28, 2013 11:52 AM

Hopefully this shuts up all the morons who keep saying that Stafford is the reason the Lions aren’t winning games. For all the talk Calvin Johnson is getting (completely deserved of course), Stafford should get the game ball.

He made one poor decision on the 2nd Sean Lee INT but the first was a drop from Calvin and then the two fumbles by Bush and Calvin nearly cost them the game. That 40 yard laser to Durham on the sideline was amazing and the guts and awareness to run the QB Sneak was incredible.

He’s not elite, but he’s getting pretty damn close to it.

13. bluenose1965 says: Oct 28, 2013 11:53 AM

What exactly were the referees reviewing? After he put the ball over the line, he ran around the corner and danced about the end zone.

Seemed he was in the end zone by himself before a Cowboy even moved.

My only disappointment was that we didn’t get a nice close-up of old plastic face Jones on the sideline.

14. mike06181 says: Oct 28, 2013 11:55 AM

So this is how it feels to have a real qb!

And hes only 24!

15. jcav22 says: Oct 28, 2013 11:55 AM

—-

Nope…But I was screaming he was going to sneak it in.

16. thejabronisayz says: Oct 28, 2013 11:55 AM

I’m sure that he also realized Reggie Bush was in the backfield behind him, so even if he was stopped good ol’ Reggie would have given him that extra ‘push’ into the endzone for sure.

17. bspurloc says: Oct 28, 2013 11:57 AM

in other words Stafford has the ability to think as he plays where the cowboys lack this, especially romo and why the Giants will win this division!

18. jebsta16 says: Oct 28, 2013 11:57 AM

Not Romo’s fault? He played horribly and if not for the defense causing 4 turnovers, this game is a blowout. How many balls sailed out of bounds and how many times did he miss wide open recievers? Sean Lee was a one man wrecking crew out there.

19. phloorioisanarcissist says: Oct 28, 2013 11:57 AM

Heads up play by Stafford. Major congrats to him and the Lions. He made a split second decision based on what he saw. That is what separates the great QB’s from the good.

As a Chiefs fan, it reminds me (somewhat) of last week vs. the Texans when K.C. had it 3rd and 2 inches from the goal line, and instead of running a QB sneak (which you can almost always get half a foot at least), they ran a delayed Power sweep and Charles was stopped a yard behind the line of scrimmage. A dumb play when the defense is stacked up on the line with EVERYBODY. Then they go for it on fourth down on a bootleg and turn it over on downs.
    Over conservative play calling as usual from the OC and Reid.

I like Alex Smith, but I wish he’d audible an override the play calling in that situation.

Kudos to you Matt.

20. realitypolice says: Oct 28, 2013 11:58 AM

bluenose1965 says:
    Oct 28, 2013 11:53 AM

All scoring plays are reviewed automatically.

21. cronybomb says: Oct 28, 2013 12:00 PM

Stafford on that last drive = greatness. The pass down the sideline to Durham was possibly the greatest pass he’s ever thrown.

22. chawk12thman says: Oct 28, 2013 12:00 PM

Interview the “D” Line…..what were they thinking. This loss is on them.

23. hopefulvikingsfan says: Oct 28, 2013 12:01 PM

I’m a Vikings fan and even I have adored watching the Lions playing the last few years. I can honestly say, I was more excited about their game yesterday than watching the so called “primetime” event. Calvin Johnson is the best receiver the NFL is going to see in a long time.

24. @HowdyDoobie says: Oct 28, 2013 12:04 PM

It must be nice for Lions fans to see a couple of their first round picks producing so much. The Cowboys defense was really beat up and playing very poorly.

25. truninerfan49 says: Oct 28, 2013 12:06 PM

I bet there will be no out cry in the media when an NFC east team with a losing record makes the playoffs like the NFC west a few years ago.

26. dasmol says: Oct 28, 2013 12:07 PM

One of the most intelligent football plays I’ve ever seen. It was pretty awesome.

27. iberiasaint says: Oct 28, 2013 12:08 PM

Matt needs to run stadiums for not executing the play that was called! LOL Great decision Matt

28. lance19 says: Oct 28, 2013 12:08 PM

He definitely surprised ME! As soon as he started to reach the ball over the line, I thought “What a smart choice…he’s practically uncontested!” One play does not make a career, but for this day, Stafford is a hero!

29. jimmysee says: Oct 28, 2013 12:09 PM

There were 11 goats on that field — all wearing stars on their helmets.

Jerry Jones’ 40-year old brain must be ready to explode.

30. chiadam says: Oct 28, 2013 12:11 PM

Once again, one smart player will always beat a team full of idiots.

31. blu4l1fe says: Oct 28, 2013 12:12 PM

Hey, it got me expecting a spike. Not a fan of either teams but caught the end part of the game and I have to say, that was one of the guttsiest and smartest play I have seen in a while. Good game by Stafford.

On the other end, I did see the exchange between Witten and Bryant. I could not tell what it was about, of course. Plus, I am not football expert by any means, but that was certainly a weird call for a last play for the Cowboys.

32. roadtrip3500 says: Oct 28, 2013 12:12 PM

Marino must have cracked his face grinning at the CBS studios… Fake Spike II.

33. audient says: Oct 28, 2013 12:14 PM

When I saw that play, I remembered the times when Bernie Kosar and Dan Marino faked spikes. But I liked this one even better, especially with the backstory. Well done, Matt Stafford.

34. richc111 says: Oct 28, 2013 12:15 PM

But the problem with this win for Det. is that now all of us are gonna have to hear about how the Cowgirls are the best .500 team in the league and how they are going to get it together and make a run for the superbowl , just like the talk is every year. In 2 months the talk will be Oh the cowgirls are going to be the answer to this question: What is the best team that did not make the playoffs this year? the answer … The Dallas Cowboys… it is the same every year.. we get stuck watching this team 8 times a year on national tv only to hear the next great thing they are about to do.. that they don’t… Oh nice call Jerry Jones… lookout for Reggie…

35. jtfresh1 says: Oct 28, 2013 12:16 PM

“Winners always want the ball…when the game is on the line” — Gene Hackman, The Replacements.

Way to go Stafford! So glad you’re our quarterback…Go Lions!

36. dcredz says: Oct 28, 2013 12:17 PM

granadafan says:
    Oct 28, 2013 11:48 AM
    ——
    Huh?

The Lions held Dallas to ~270 yards even though they had two plays amount to over 100. That means in their other 55 plays, they amassed 160 yards. That’s under 3 yards per play…

Dallas only put up points because the Lions offense was giving the ball away so much, coupled with very poor ST on kickoffs.

Didja watch, really?

37. thestrategyexpert says: Oct 28, 2013 12:18 PM

Well I have to say that this is the FIRST game in a LONG time that I can honestly say that I’m happy with Matt Stafford. And that’s saying a lot if you follow my diary on him. I give him an A- for this game which is a pretty high score considering he did throw 2 picks which cost us a lot, but I still do remember that last play of the game where he had the FOOLISH idea of risking everything for a silly play to trick the DL and go over the top at risk of being called down by progress and letting that clock bleed away. There were still a few ways the Lions could have done better to save-shave a few seconds, but nevertheless the fact of the matter is Stafford’s play WORKED and it scored the game winning TD, and that just puts points on the scorecard of his performance. Plus he did a brilliant job of exploiting CJ.

It’s possible we could go 3-5 and finish 8-8 and have an outside shot for the playoffs. If we go 4-4 only that would almost be a certain clinch with the way things are shaping up. The division win could be right around 4 or 5 wins depending on if the Packers can stay healthy, but if they lose one more weapon or OL, or essentially any player on offense they could be a tight bind.

38. f0rem4n says: Oct 28, 2013 12:19 PM

Where are all those idiots that for the first two years of their careers said Stafford was inferior to Mark Sanchez? Glass Matt, while Sanchez was fluking together a good year or two.

Haters gonna hate, but Suh, Schwarz, our side arming QB – I love the whole mess.

39. thestrategyexpert says: Oct 28, 2013 12:19 PM

Also honorable mention to Nick Fairley. It’s not his fault he got hurt. But he delivered a couple of mammoth shots. The biggest one on Romo was just a wonderful enveloping bullover of the QB and that had to have had an impact. NOT FUN if you are on the receiving end of taking a blast from a guy like that. Fairley quietly destroyed Dallas’ soul, which is hard to do considering a soul is an intangible thing. But HE reached in deep with his big fat paws and he scooped it out somehow and fell over on it.

You CAN’T win in football if you take THAT.

40. backdapack4evr says: Oct 28, 2013 12:22 PM

WOW
    you would think Detroit just won the Super Bowl or something!!
    Keep it in perspective, you beat a team you should have easily beaten…
    It was Dallas for crying out loud!!!

41. tvguy22 says: Oct 28, 2013 12:24 PM

How bout them Cowboys?

42. isphet71 says: Oct 28, 2013 12:24 PM

As a 37 year old Lion fan, I am not at all sure how to handle praise for my team instead of ridicule. Other than to enjoy it.

First win in Washington, now this. Been a pretty cool season so far. Perfect? No. Exciting? Heeeeck yeah!

43. 315judman says: Oct 28, 2013 12:25 PM

Take that Tom Coughlin!

Yours truly,

Greg Schiano

44. seattlelibtard says: Oct 28, 2013 12:25 PM

Those two last passes from Stafford leading up to the sneak were thrown perfectly. Great finish to a game.

45. ydousuk says: Oct 28, 2013 12:27 PM

truninerfan49 says:Oct 28, 2013 12:06 PM

———————————————————-

The NFC West team that made the playoffs a few years ago with a losing record, (Seahawks) beat the previous year’s Superbowl Champion Saints in the first round of the playoffs that year.

46. freepretzels says: Oct 28, 2013 12:31 PM

Good sign for Stafford’s development as a QB.

47. conormacleod says: Oct 28, 2013 12:32 PM

Romo would have fumbled the snap.

48. geniusry says: Oct 28, 2013 12:32 PM

As a Cowboys fan and as a football fan, the only people that didn’t know he was about to sneak it were on the Cowboys defense. This was just another example of just horrible coaching and game management.

The worst part of the game was when the media stuck the microphone in Jerry’s face asking for a reaction. None of us care anymore, we just want a new GM.

49. immafubared says: Oct 28, 2013 12:35 PM

I’m confused. What D is he talking about? I saw no D yesterday from Dallas.
    Want to know their problem, its easy, no dbacks who can cover. How did that happen Jerry? With your money and you put that piece of ______ defense on the field week in week out and blame the offense????

Yes I know the running game is non existant but again its, we have one guy and when he is hurt everyone else is Mr Mediocre.

50. jumbomesquite says: Oct 28, 2013 12:36 PM

jebsta16 is right. Without those turnovers, the Lions would have blown out the Cowboys. The only thing Dallas did right was not cough up the football. And it was the only thing the Lions did wrong. This game ended in incredible fashion, which was fun to watch, but Dallas didn’t deserve to win the game anyway.

51. sactogary says: Oct 28, 2013 12:37 PM

Isn’t this poor sportsmanship, like crashing the victory formation? It a tacit understanding – when you say you’re going to spike, everyone quits playing and lets you do it, right?

52. wingz101 says: Oct 28, 2013 12:37 PM

What an amazing game. I was completely bummed out after they did nothing on that before last series and they did not even throw a ball to CJ. I was actually ranting and railing against Stafford and thought he would botch a second comeback attempt in consecutive weeks.

Then the Cowboys, who up to that point had only had ONE penalty called against them, got called for holding!

Schwartz makes the right call, Stafford gets the ball back and the rest was awesome, awesome football (for Lions fans).

53. lks311 says: Oct 28, 2013 12:44 PM

Great Comeback, but, the bottom line on this game: 623-268 in total yards. 35:00-25:00 in total time of possession. In other words, this should have been a blowout.

54. stealthjunk says: Oct 28, 2013 12:44 PM

If only Greg Schiano coached the Cowboys on that “spike” play…

55. immafubared says: Oct 28, 2013 12:45 PM

Please stop saying ‘all scores are reviewed automatically’. HEY we know that from three years ago, were not STUPID.

What they did not say because Collins’ mouth was running 190 mph again on the wrong subject at the wrong time (I’m sick of listening to him) is how in the hell did that clock not move.

I had to read it that it was due to a penalty call that was declined. When that happens the clock automatically stops within the last five minutes of the game. Thus, the Lions had three time outs, the two minute warning and penalty.
    Without that penalty the Lions would have gotten the ball with about 20 seconds left.

56. lorddarkhelmet says: Oct 28, 2013 12:46 PM

thestrategyexpert: you sir are an idiot. you realize that Stafford REALLY only through one pick and it was on a play call that is a known int waiting to happen because he has to throw the ball before he can fully read the defense.

57. touchdownroddywhite says: Oct 28, 2013 12:47 PM

Hands down one of the best plays I’ve ever seen. The whole drive was incredible, but to cap it with a rope-a-dope style sneak was just amazing. I literally jumped off the couch.

58. immafubared says: Oct 28, 2013 12:47 PM

———-

No the refs went over and told him if he declined the penalty the clock would stop. They told him the rule rather than him having to know it.

59. lks311 says: Oct 28, 2013 12:48 PM

315judman says:
    Oct 28, 2013 12:25 PM
    Take that Tom Coughlin!

Yours truly,

Greg Schiano
    ——-
    One Difference: The outcome of the game hung in the balance. Actually, BIG Difference.

60. don2074978 says: Oct 28, 2013 12:48 PM

Peyton Mannings bootleg TD was like that too. Footballs Best plays can happen when you are the only one who knows what’s going to happen.

61. td40 says: Oct 28, 2013 12:48 PM

With all due respect to Stafford, this article reads like he’s a genius who came up with a brilliant idea that had never been tried before.

62. stealthjunk says: Oct 28, 2013 12:48 PM

jumbomesquite says:
    Oct 28, 2013 12:36 PM

==================

Since when did the team that turned the ball over 4 times “deserve to win the game” while the team that turned the ball over 0 times “didn’t deserve to win the game”? That’s the stupidest, most illogical thing I’ve ever heard.

63. backdapack4evr says: Oct 28, 2013 12:49 PM

Fred Sanford had 2 Rodger like throws!!
    Congrats baby face!!

64. lks311 says: Oct 28, 2013 12:50 PM

stealthjunk says:
    Oct 28, 2013 12:44 PM
    If only Greg Schiano coached the Cowboys on that “spike” play…
    ——
    Don’t confuse Spike Play with Victory Formation, Kneel Down. All you Schianophiles, stop it—not the same.

65. ddaveyy says: Oct 28, 2013 12:50 PM

Newsflash for all those who say this was Johnson destroying the Cowboys…have you not noticed the other QBs who threw for more than 400 yards against the Cowboys this year? Only the 4th team to do it…

Dave

66. stigman2012 says: Oct 28, 2013 12:55 PM

“And that’s why we blow up the spike!!”–

Greg Schiano

67. hawkforlife says: Oct 28, 2013 12:56 PM

It’s a good thing Stafford didn’t have time to signal his intentions to Schwarz, he would have ordered a slow developing deep hand off up the gut.

68. jeffsnow7 says: Oct 28, 2013 12:59 PM

My favorite play in Lions History… not really but im going to roll with it…

69. NoHomeTeam says: Oct 28, 2013 1:00 PM

jcav22 says: Stuff like this is just astounding coming from highly-paid professionals. Nobody on the Cowboys D thought there was a reasonable chance he might try a sneak in that situation?
    Nope…But I was screaming he was going to sneak it in.

************

No, you weren’t.

70. NoHomeTeam says: Oct 28, 2013 1:07 PM

td40 says: . . .I’ve seen it happen probably a couple dozen times in my life- QB rushes team up to the line with the idea that they’re going to spike the ball/stop the clock, but then QB goes ahead and runs a play for a significant gain, catching the other team off guard. It’s not rocket science. Peoples’ jaws on the floor today, acting like Stafford has come up with a new, genius play that just won the SB in dramatic fashion, instead of a mid-season game against a mediocre team. Yawn.

*******************
    You must be a blast to watch football with.

71. cruzer1996 says: Oct 28, 2013 1:10 PM

I wonder about the repercussions of this play. I doubt if this play will ever get attempted again, because nobody will ever want this to happen to them, especially in the last second.

72. backdapack4evr says: Oct 28, 2013 1:11 PM

Rodgers makes those throws weekly!
    I would say act like you’ve been there but I forgot you can’t!

73. thesportgenius says: Oct 28, 2013 1:15 PM

Americas Team…The Allas Cowboys (There’s no D in Dallas)

74. drunkwino says: Oct 28, 2013 1:15 PM

4 QB’s blow up for 400+ yards, a receiver going over 300 yards on you, get embarassed by a fake spike because you weren’t even paying attention….yeah Jerrah, Rob Ryan was the problem.

75. dcredz says: Oct 28, 2013 1:16 PM

stealthjunk says:
    Oct 28, 2013 12:48 PM
    ==================

==================

Other than the turnover differential (and score), the Lions absolutely dismantled the Cowboys. One Lion wide receiver out-gained the Cowboys entire offense. That’s all it takes to tell the story of how laughably outmatched the Cowboys were at Ford Field yesterday.

Turnovers didn’t tell the whole story in this one. Cowboys may not have turned it over, but if you’re giving it back to an offense you can’t even come close to stopping, over and over again, you’re going to lose. This should put it more in perspective:

Cowboys: 13 first downs, 15 drives
    Lions: 29 first downs, 14 drives

76. gbatap says: Oct 28, 2013 1:34 PM

When you take into consideration the kid was already responsible for plenty of plays that didn’t go his way(2 turnovers,etc), it makes this decision even more impressve.

77. johnelwayishorsefaced says: Oct 28, 2013 1:41 PM

It’s hilarious to me to see so many of you former Lions haters jumping on the bandwagon now that you realize that they’re for real. Not that long ago all you could do was trash them and now all of a Sudden Stafford is an elite qb and genius.
    This bandwagon is full. Please stay off.

78. stealthjunk says: Oct 28, 2013 1:46 PM

======================
    dcredz says:
    Oct 28, 2013 1:16 PM

Cowboys: 13 first downs, 15 drives
    Lions: 29 first downs, 14 drives
    ======================

Got it, so from now on when I watch games, I will determine which team “deserved” to win based on everything other than the score and turnovers. I’ll instead use factors such as which team had the single player with the best stats, which team had the most first downs, and which offense was stopped the least number of times (being sure of course NOT to count turnovers as “stops” because turnovers are NOT stops). Maybe I should also look at other important details such as which team had the most one-handed catches, the hardest tackle, and the fastest MLB.

This is some of the most mind-blowing stuff I’ve ever read.

79. warhammer420 says: Oct 28, 2013 1:54 PM

Gotta give Stafford major credit for his clutch plays. He might be one of the few guys that actually plays better when the pressure is on.

80. trollaikman8 says: Oct 28, 2013 1:58 PM

Just when I think my Cowboys can’t innovate new and fascinating ways to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, this kind of thing happens.

Hats off to Detroit. The Cowboys, despite 4 turnovers, played scared the entire day.

81. trollaikman8 says: Oct 28, 2013 2:00 PM

Cowboys: 13 first downs, 15 drives
    Lions: 29 first downs, 14 drives
    ———————————————

Keep in mind that the Cowboys had 2 home-run TD drives : 50 & 64yds on 1 play.

Keep in mind that Dallas played with a short field a couple of times because of Detroit’s turnovers.

Just saying the 1st down stats don’t tell all.

82. dcredz says: Oct 28, 2013 2:05 PM

stealthjunk says:
    Oct 28, 2013 1:46 PM
    ======================
    Paraphrased: Bunch of retarded things from a crying Cowboys fan
    ======================

Well, the Lions scored more points. You can be mad if you want, and say they “didn’t deserve it” but they scored more points. The fact is Romo’s offense was held to 268 yards, and the Lions put up well over 600.

That means either the Lions Defense was great (it wasn’t) or the Cowboys offense was so anemic that they couldn’t compete in the SEC (That’s the one).

Had the Cowboys been able to get more first downs than they had drives, they probably could have run the clock out… You know, kept Detroit from getting back on the field.

The Cowboys were so abysmal by comparison that the Lions were able to overcome a -4 turnover margin to beat them.

Perhaps looking at more than just turnovers should be a factor in your method of deciding who “deserved” to win.

83. dcredz says: Oct 28, 2013 2:16 PM

Keep in mind that the Cowboys had 2 home-run TD drives : 50 & 64yds on 1 play.

Just saying the 1st down stats don’t tell all.
    —-

In the other 55 plays, they amassed 154 yards, good for under 3 yards per play… And that is telling, especially when the Lions averaged 8.

84. koolaidsgonebad says: Oct 28, 2013 2:24 PM

Schiano says his Bucs would have been ready. They play every down. Even if it is a victory formation.

Go Stafford. Go Calvin! Go Reggie!! Go Lions!!!

Not too many of these joyful Monday’s as a Lions’ fan.

85. richndc says: Oct 28, 2013 2:27 PM

The Lions won the battle in the trenches all day. Period. They made the plays it took to win, Dallas did not. Congrats to them on a fine win. A fun game to watch–we are 4-4 and totally deserve to be. I was even more disheartened last night when friend pointed out that 3 of Dallas’ 4 wins came against the NFC East–ugh.

86. atleastimnotaraidersfan says: Oct 28, 2013 2:36 PM

ydousuk says: Oct 28, 2013 12:27 PM

truninerfan49 says:Oct 28, 2013 12:06 PM

———————————————————-

——————————-
    Because they got an undeserved home game.

87. rockothewallaby says: Oct 28, 2013 2:41 PM

Stafford has a little favre in him. Love the play :)

88. slickaaron says: Oct 28, 2013 2:47 PM

@backdapack4ever

__________________

So we’re not allowed to celebrate? Ok my bad it hurts your feelings I’m sorry I didn’t realize that. Grow up man you’re the only one here trolling get a life man. We are allowed to celebrate a big comeback win sorry if that makes you mad but get over it. Go Lions! #OnePride

89. jumbomesquite says: Oct 28, 2013 3:11 PM

@stealthjunk there’s plenty of evidence that the Lions played the far better game. And there are plenty of people here (all but you) who seem to agree with that.

90. Mr. Wright 212 says: Oct 28, 2013 3:17 PM

I loved it. Thanks Lions!

91. ydousuk says: Oct 28, 2013 3:20 PM

atleastimnotaraidersfan says:Oct 28, 2013 2:36 PM

ydousuk says: Oct 28, 2013 12:27 PM

truninerfan49 says:Oct 28, 2013 12:06 PM

———————————————————-

——————————-
    Because they got an undeserved home game.
    ———————————————————-
    Maybe you are new to football, but you should check the rules. The Seahawks won their division, which entitled them to host the playoff game.

Maybe the rules are different for Soccer, I don’t watch that………

92. Mr. Wright 212 says: Oct 28, 2013 3:28 PM

Never mind those fluky TDs by Williams and Bryant, which comprised HALF OF DALLAS’ YARDAGE ALL GAME.

93. lks311 says: Oct 28, 2013 3:36 PM

backdapack4evr says:
    Oct 28, 2013 1:11 PM
    Rodgers makes those throws weekly!
    I would say act like you’ve been there but I forgot you can’t!
    ——–
    Rodgers is great. Really in a league of his own. But, there’s nothing wrong with giving Stafford credit for a great comeback—unless of course you’re a classless Packer Fan who hasn’t learned to, you know, act like you’ve had great QBs before. But, I guess Class can’t be taught.

94. thestrategyexpert says: Oct 28, 2013 3:38 PM

lorddarkhelmet:

You are correct sir. I didn’t delineate a breakdown of the 2 picks, one was not his fault and another was a monster return. So for brevity I packaged just calling it 2 INTs and everybody saw those 2 plays for what they were. Not sure why you needed me to go into more accounting to explain the A- score. It wasn’t like I pulled out a spreadsheet, it was a simple way to just illustrate the point that for one time in my life I’m going to give the man a break for pulling out a nifty big play that was really well planned and he set it up well and verified they were asleep to some extent, otherwise if that line gets super stout with posture maybe he still thinks to throw the ball and just launch it for a redo. But he kept the option open and exploited it when it was there. So that was great and he deserves a pat on the back for once from me.

95. ddbmmd says: Oct 28, 2013 3:58 PM

No one is talking about the game commentators anointing Dallas as the victor with 2 minutes left to play. Even with 1:12 left to play, Detroit with the ball and down by only 6, they were talking matter of factly that the game was over. The Lions lost a hard fought game. Anyone else notice?

96. harrycanyon says: Oct 28, 2013 4:11 PM

The problems in Dallas will not change untill Jerry pulls the plus on his Yes Man , Jason Garrett. Horrible coach. Romo gets all this blame, and it’s not always his fault.

97. sactogary says: Oct 28, 2013 4:21 PM

lks311 says: Oct 28, 2013 12:48 PM

315judman says:
    Oct 28, 2013 12:25 PM
    Take that Tom Coughlin!

Yours truly,

Greg Schiano
    ——-
    —————————–
    No, that is not a difference. Anytime you’re within one score, the game is hanging in the balance. If the QB fumbles the snap, and the defense is standing around with their finger in their ear, they won’t be on it.

98. wallacejay says: Oct 28, 2013 4:21 PM

Is Jerrah still more concerned with Reggie than Calvin?

99. Mr. Wright 212 says: Oct 28, 2013 4:30 PM

Lost in everything in that Dallas game, considering how many BLATANT HOLDING penalties that Tyron Smith gets away with every game (not the “garden variety/holding on every down, but PLAY-CHANGING HOLDING that he does), that his typical blatant hold being called was what made it possible for Detroit to even have the ball back with enough time to drive for a touchdown.

Justice for the teams that have been robbed blind while that guy tackles, undresses and strip searches defensive ends every game and gets away with it.

100. theparadoxx82 says: Oct 28, 2013 5:43 PM

Best play of the season? a gimmick goal line dive?

Best DRIVE of the season…maybe in the top 10. that play..no

101. beastmode5150 says: Oct 28, 2013 7:25 PM

Not a lions or stafford fan necessarily, but that was awesome. Ballsy, but awesome.

102. banjojones says: Oct 28, 2013 9:28 PM

So America’s Team got caught with they britches down, ya say?

103. jtmartinez34 says: Oct 29, 2013 9:55 AM

I still can’t believe Garrett has a job. He should have fired immediately after the game. Play management, clock management, player awareness were all dismal. The Lions literally handed the game to the Cowboys. Megatron fumbles, Bush fumbles, Stafford throws errant balls for interceptions- all of the Lions stars were giving the game away. Pitiful performance and why I hate the Cowboys.

I will give credit to Stafford for taking advantage of his weapons and opportunity for heroics, but will not anoint him. Throwing jump balls directly into double coverage doesn’t make him great, it makes Calvin great. Also, in what should have been the Lions last possession, Stafford threw a sure interception that 2 Cowboys dropped on the same play. Against good teams, they lose – period.

Exciting game – yes, if you like a circus. But neither of these teams are really any good and won’t compete against the NFL elite.