Glazer: Seahawks not pursuing Jared Allen

Getty Images

The man who first reported that Vikings defensive end Jared Allen could be traded now reports that the Seahawks are not in the hunt to trade for him.

Contrary to a report from Adam Schefter of ESPN, Jay Glazer of FOX Sports reports that, while two teams are indeed exploring the possibility of trading for Allen, the Seahawks are not in the mix — and they have not been talking to the Vikings.

It’s unclear at this point whether a deal will happen.  Coincidentally (or not), the Vikings signed free-agent defensive end Justin Trattou on Tuesday.  If Allen goes, Trattou would keep the head count of defensive ends at the same number.

The window for making trades closes at 4:00 p.m. ET.

65 responses to “Glazer: Seahawks not pursuing Jared Allen

1. Didnt Allen always wear a “wine’em, dine’em, 69’em” all the time when he first got into the league? Classic!

2. Jared Allen fires off the corener really well, however, I noticed in the Packer game that when he fired, it created a huge hole for the QB to step up because the DT was not filling the gap. Guy needs to learn to fire off in sync with the other linemen filling gaps.

3. Wonder if John Elway is talks with Rick Spielman? Allen would make sense for the Broncos and give them that extra pass rush that has been lacking. Allen and Miller coming off the edges, that would be a scary thing for a lot of quarterbacks in the NFL.

4. Schefter getting played the fool, once again.

It didn’t make sense in any way for the Seahawks to be linked the Vikes… be smarter.

5. I’m a Viking fan, I love Jared Allen. However, it makes sense to trade him now. He’s not the same dominating player he has been. He has a huge cap number and will probably lose him to free agency at seasons end.
    If a trade helps the Vikings and possibly gets Jared a chance at a ring….it’s good for everyone.

6. Then he added, “Did you see how he got manhandled by the David ‘The Persian Prince’ Bakhtiari on Sunday?”

7. If they actually want to send him to a team with a chance, they will send him to Denver. Seachickens will make playoffs, but be knocked out early. Denver is where I’d send him. But realistically, the pick won’t do us any good with spielman and frasier at the helm.

Oh btw… I’m starting at qb this weekend for the vikes.

8. abusementland says:Oct 29, 2013 2:12 PM

———-

Sounds like one of those “easily correctable” problems the Vikes have been having such difficulty with this year…

9. Oh, what a difference a year makes. Just think…if this were one year ago, the Packers could have picked up Allen by sending “superstar” Matt Flynn to them. And they would have taken him hook line and sinker. Talk about missing out on a golden Charlie Brown moment. Dang!

10. What happens to the Vikings salary cap if Allen goes? Do we get the 6ish million dollars left on Allen’s salary back? Or, is that somehow lost?

Any extra cash to resign Griffen or go after new players next would be useful.

11. If they actually want to send him to a team with a chance, they will send him to Denver. Seachickens will make playoffs, but be knocked out early. Denver is where I’d send him. But realistically, the pick won’t do us any good with spielman and frasier at the helm.

Oh btw… I’m starting at qb this weekend for the vikes.

_____________________________________

Knowing Peyton’s history in the playoffs it’s pretty safe to say the Broncos will also be exiting the playoffs early.

Allen should be traded, we’ve loved having him he’s definitely a fan favorite but needs to go somewhere he can compete for a ring. And sadly that is not MN this year.

12. Apparently, MN wants a 2nd round pick or a conditional 3rd. Otherwise, MN won’trade. Spielman, are you serious? Getting a 3rd round would be a steal. You messed up. Allen was willing to restructure, as long as it wasn’t a pay cut.

Denver on line 1. Get some pills for Spielman so he can get his sanity back.

13. Adam Schefter: Happily manipulated by agents and GMs since 2004. Will literally report as fact any bogus story they tell him.

No time to fact check! Gotta be first! And don’t want to offend these guys be actually making sure what they say is true because they might stop talking to him!

14. I’m sure AD is loving all this Allen trade talk….as he gets left behind. Stuck playing with the Vikes at the Bank, with a re-building defense, no QB, no offensive line, etc. as his biological clock goes “tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tock…”

15. abusementland says:
    Oct 29, 2013 2:12 PM
    —————————————-
    Whst in the H did you just say?! I think you just said that the guy with the most sacks in the NFL the past 5 years needs to slow down his rush to accomodate lesser players.

Plus, there is no way you know the defensive scheme. I’d say the LB’s probably need to fill that inner gap, and JA was doing his job. It’s not like JA was biting on the inside fake and the outside was left wide open for an easy run.

The Vikings D has many problems. Jared Allen is not one of them.

16. thepftpoet says: Oct 29, 2013 2:17 PM

Vikings > Seahawks
    _______________________

I can’t for the life of me figure out which is more bizarre.

Someone claiming 1-6 is better than 7-1, or fifty percent of the commenters actually agreeing with him.

17. Man you seattle haters are so funny!!! Let me give you a reason seattle doesn’t want Allen….. TONY GONZALEZ!!! And to hear you Vikings pop off is truly HILARIOUS!!! I think I even saw a Vikings > Seahawks Post!!! Hahaha ENOUGH SAID!!!!! 7-1, 1-7???? Hahah DELUSIONAL!!!! Can’t wait to see all your posts after Russell and the boys hoist that Lombardi in feb!!!! OHHHH and this the NFL!!! A road win is a road win!!!! ENOUGH SAID!!!! See you Viking fans in a couple weeks!!! Gonna go ahead and makes plans now to leave that game early as it should be over by the HALF!!!! See you all soon!!!!VIKINGS=LAMBSTOTHESLAUGHTER!!!!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOO HAWKS!!!!! BEST RECORD IN THE NFC!!!! (And there ain’t a dang thing you guys can do about it!!!!)

18. The same jared allen that couldn’t beat a 4th round rookie left tackle sunday night??? He is still a decent player but his best years are behind him now.

19. Wait Schefter again making up stories hoping they stick and then Glazer calls him out and he changes his story saying a source says Seahawks no longer interested. Would the source be Jay Glazer making you look stupid. This guy is so consistently wrong on his reporting and nobody ever calls him out.

20. conormacleod says: Oct 29, 2013 2:31 PM

The Vikings D has many problems. Jared Allen is not one of them.

—————————————-

You are right, I don’t know the scheme, what I DO know is that when Allen fired off on a passing play on the corner, he flew right past the QB, Rodgers stepped up in the pocket, into the gap and had plenty of time to fire the pass. This happended more than once.

I did not say he needs to slow down. What was said was he needs to play within the scheme in order for it to work. What Jared does is effective IF he gets to the QB, and he has, but if he doesn’t, it exposes the defensive front, like it did on Sunday.

21. New England and san Francisco want him. But the price pushed him out of our price range. We need offensive help with are draft picks anyways.

22. stellarperformance says:Oct 29, 2013 2:22 PM

___

Matt Flynn was on the Seahawks last year after joining them as a free agent. I’m not sure how the Packers would have been in a position to offer him to anybody.

23. This rumor didn’t pass the smell test, but you never know with Pete Carroll.

I’m a Packers fan, and you people claiming Jared Allen is washed up are crazy. Yes, Bakhtiari had a good night against him on Sunday.. but Bakhtiari has been an unexpected surprise for the Packers who has played well all year. McCarthy and the Packers also had a good game plan that helped Bakhtari out. I hate the Vikings, but to not respect the few amazing players they have like Allen and Peterson (and Paterson now) is ridiculous.

24. nflpoker says:
    Oct 29, 2013 2:29 PM
    ——————————————
    Just curious how an anonymous poster knows so much information, while no other sources are reporting any of what ‘nflpoker’ just said.

25. Schefter lied? I just can’t believe it with his impeccable track record. I seriously can’t think of a single story Schefter has broke about a splash move that actually turned out right. Revis to SF, Manning will sign in Tennessee, Harbaugh to Miami a lock, Nnamdi to whoever the hell it was basically done. We could go on amd on here. Guy is a complete hack

26. abusementland says:
    Oct 29, 2013 2:39 PM
    conormacleod says: Oct 29, 2013 2:31 PM

The Vikings D has many problems. Jared Allen is not one of them.
    —————————————-
    ——————————————
    How do you know the scheme didn’t call for Allen to fire in off the edge, thus forcing Rodgers to step up in the pocket, wherein a defensive tackle or linebacker were supposed to be there to shut Rodgers down?

What I DO KNOW is that you don’t know. And I also know in order to complain about Jared Allen, one must completely ignore everything else that is going on with that horrible defense.

The only FACTS we do know is that Jared Allen has been one of the best defensive ends in football for at least 5 years. And this is with a pretty lousy defensive secondary.

27. When Germ Edwards helped trade J A he sent the Chiefs spiraling….the last thing we need is this guy keeping the chiefs out of the Playoffs or home field. (Not that we do anything with it, once we get it)

28. assuredmutualdestruction says: Oct 29, 2013 2:23 PM

Is it the Vikings strategy to get worse? This team will be in L.A. soon.
    *******************************************

That was three years ago. Try to keep up.

29. @abusemantland and conomacleod

I don’t know which of you are right, but I do know that without Jared our defense, already pathetic, will get worse. Ergo, top 2 overall pick, get ready, cuz, we’re comin… we’re comin…

30. dwarftosser says:
    Oct 29, 2013 2:48 PM
    This rumor didn’t pass the smell test, but you never know with Pete Carroll.

………..
    The feeling is mutual (I hate the Packers) but I also respect #12 and wish he was on my favorite team. IMO, best QB in the game.

31. conormacleod says:Oct 29, 2013 2:53 PM

abusementland says:
    Oct 29, 2013 2:39 PM
    conormacleod says: Oct 29, 2013 2:31 PM

The Vikings D has many problems. Jared Allen is not one of them.
    —————————————-
    ——————————————

————————————–

U mad Bro?

Chill for a minute, and check the Box Score to last weeks game. Let me know when you find it. I guess I won’t be hearing back from you because he was on it because at minimum you need a tackle to show. Rodgers threw it 29 times and they rushed it 42 more, PLENTY of oportunity. Yet, nothing in the box score.

He does well with non mobile QBs, but he is suspect with guys that move in and outside of the pocket because he tends to be a one trick pony, a Fantastic one trick, but still, one trick.

32. thepftpoet says: Oct 29, 2013 2:17 PM

Vikings > Seahawks

Wait, what?
    1-6 > 7-1?
    And 34 people gave that a thumbs up?

I guess Viking fans don’t like math or common sense.

33. Jared recorded 0 tackles, 0 sacks and 0 QB Hits. Same as Matthews. Except Allen was on the field for 40+ minutes. Clay matched him in street clothes.

34. Embrace the Suck says:
    Oct 29, 2013 3:05 PM
    @abusemantland and conomacleod

————————————
    I’m fully on board! Full steam ahead to a new coaching staff and QB! I’m very excited for the 2014 draft. Now, if only the Jaguars and Bucs could play well…

35. abusementland says:
    Oct 29, 2013 3:12 PM
    —————————————
    I don’t know what to tell you buddy. You’re pointing to one game in a career. You’re in the minority if you think Allen hasn’t been one of the best, if not the best, defensive end in the NFL over the past 5 years.

Plus, I already gave credit to GB and their very good offensive game plan. It was an easy game plan. Exploit the Vikings lack of talent in the secondary by throwing quick, short passes all night long.

36. Embrace the Suck says:Oct 29, 2013 3:05 PM

@abusemantland and conomacleod

———————
    Agreed

37. You idiots who criticize the play of Allen are just knuckleheads, plain and simple.

He was NOT “handled” by any GB offensive lineman on Sunday, and his speed rush creates no greater risk or gap than any other d-lineman with a similar style.

The reason he could not get to Aaron Rodgers is the same reason nobody else can. The guy gets rid of it WAY TOO FAST. He makes a decision and ball is gone. NOBODY could have gotten to him, he was just playing way too well against over-matched d-backs.

I’m a die-hard Vikings fan, but I can say this without any reservation.. Aaron Rodgers is THE best QB in football right now.

38. thepftpoet says:
    Oct 29, 2013 2:13 PM
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    This trade rumor was too perfect to be true

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The Vikings suck boo who

39. It’s easy to hate Seattle. We haven’t won any Superbowls and have a young team that everyone apparently thinks is way over-rated.

That’s okay. This isn’t a popularity contest. Wins count. And the Seahawks have the best record in the NFC.

The Seahawks played their best football at the end of the year last year also. This year is only different in that the road to the Superbowl goes through Seattle.

40. “The same jared allen that couldn’t beat a 4th round rookie left tackle sunday night???.”

yea, and the same seattle d line that couldn’t stop a rookie rb from running all over and through them.

41. Go-Hawks! says:
    Oct 29, 2013 3:50 PM

——————————————
    I wasn’t aware the season was over…

42. WOW. What a shocker. No major deadline deals.

Wait. There’s a name for this. It’s on the tip of my tongue. Oh yeah I remember.

It’s called EVERY SINGLE YEAR IN THE NFL.

43. Paying 7.5 million dollars on the chance of a 6th or 7th round compensatory pick is very dumb.

Funny how the vikings couldn’t see the decline last year or in training camp. It took yet another half a season for them to wake up and realize Allen isn’t any good.