Snyder tells Goodell there’s no plan to change the name

AP

Well, now we know why Redskins owner Daniel Snyder met with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell on Tuesday, a day before several senior NFL executives will meet with representatives from the Oneida Indian Nation.

Snyder apparently wanted to be sure that Goodell’s message to them will be as fresh as possible:  The name won’t be changed.

According to Mike Jones and Mark Maske of the Washington Post, Snyder told Goodell during their Tuesday meeting that Snyder has “no plans to change” the controversial name.

Per the Post, one source said the meeting wasn’t about changing the name; it was about gathering “information on the team’s plans for dealing with the issues involved, including assessing and addressing opposition to the name.”

That may be how the NFL explains it on Wednesday to members of the Oneida Indian Nation who may be curious about Snyder’s willingness to meet with Goodell but not with them.  Still, it looks and feels like an effort by Snyder to make it clear that anyone who comes to New York to meet with the NFL on the issue is wasting their time.

Really, how did news of the meeting leak on Monday night, a day before the meeting happened?  It would have been one thing for a reporter to spot Snyder entering the league offices at 345 Park Avenue in Manhattan on Tuesday.  For the news to surface on Monday night, someone wanted the word to get out.

Our assessment is that Snyder and the team wanted the word to get out, because they want the Oneida Indian Nation and any other opponents to the name to realize that, while they can complain all they want, the name won’t be changing.

The specific wording of the report from Jones and Maske hints at a possible crack in the “never” faςade.  If Snyder has “no plans” to change the name, his plans arguably could change.

It seems like a long shot.  Then again, the latest shift in the “never” strategy, as orchestrated by outside counsel Lanny Davis, has been to never say “never.”

But the message is still “never,” and Snyder’s decision to personally convey that message to Goodell on Tuesday instead of personally delivering it directly to Oneida Indian Nation on Wednesday will do nothing to cause their opposition to the name to subside.

145 responses to “Snyder tells Goodell there’s no plan to change the name

1. Racism is still alive and well.

Still anyone poll current or former Native American players to see if they would play for this team or be proud to be called that name?

Or are people still relying on an almost decade old survey?

2. No surprise daniel snyder can’t see that he’s gonna lose.

This is just another example of his poor judgment.

SEE: Albert Haynesworth signing

SEE: Brandon Lloyd signing

SEE: Deion Sanders signing

SEE: Jeremiah Trotter signing

SEE: Jeff George signing

SEE: Donovan McNabb signing

SEE: Jim Zorn signing

SEE: Steve Spurrier signing

SEE: Adam Archuleta signing

3. The biggest problem is compensating Snyder for the value of the name. He stands to lose hundreds of millions of dollars if he changes it and the PC crowd never like to use their own money but instead rely on the government (ie, everyone else’s money) to implement their wishes.

You read it here first— We will soon be reading about a Washington Redskins government bailout.

No joke.

4. The issue here is becoming increasing clear. Native Americans do no want to be associated with such a terribly operated and coached team in our nation’s capitol. Can’t blame em – they have a legitimate gripe.

5. If using the name Redskin is cool with you then I assume the word Blackskin and Yellowskin and Whiteskin are just as okay in your mind. If they aren’t and you still think Redskin is okay then I suggest you get your inner-mongoloid checked out.

6. You are all jealous Dan Snyder isn’t your owner our that the Redskins have the richest History in Professional Football in this country. Go ahead try to take our name. In the meanwhile, I’ll enjoy the rest of my life rooting for the Washington Redskins. #YoucantbeattheRedskinsnomatterhowhardyoutry

7. assuredmutualdestruction says:
    Oct 29, 2013 2:31 PM

Washington Scrubs has a ring to it.

—————————————————-

I agree with this ^^^….but you know what doesn’t have a ring to it?

Philadelphia Eagles

#GoCowboys

8. Let’s see, the NFL (re: Mara, Rooney, Kraft) unfairly took $36M of the REDSkins money and now you want Snyder to change the name? Good luck!!

9. blackandbluedivision says:
    Oct 29, 2013 2:36 PM
    Racism is still alive and well.

Or are people still relying on an almost decade old survey?
    ————————————————

Really? Do you know the reason it was originally called the Redskins is because the original head coach and two players were Native Americans? And they were paying them a tribute? Bet ya didn’t.
    The name wasn’t offensive then and only is now because other races decided it sounds bad. Redskins was a name of pride before…most Native Americans don’t take offense to the color of their skin being mentioned…they are quite proud of it. And 60 years ago, none found it offensive. This new PC world has taught us to be afraid before all else.

10. When Chad Johnson changed his name to Ochocinco, I refused to call him by that stupid name so I continued calling him Chad Johnson. Same thing for Ron Artest.
    I’m not sure why everyone is so opposed to this name change? If they change their names to the Fluffy Bunnies, and you want to continue calling them an obviously offensive name, then continue to do so. America is cool like that.

11. Good Job Snyder. I hope he stands his ground. If he gives in, it will just the start of things to come.

Politically correctness needs to go. It seems every person place or thing offends somebody.

12. Why would the government bail out the Redskins for a name change? The NFL is already a tax exempt organization. They’ve gotten a yearly bail out on taxes for 40 plus years.

13. blackandbluedivision says: Oct 29, 2013 2:36 PM

Racism is still alive and well.

_____________________________

Whatever. I saw Kevin Durant wearing his script lettering hat that said REDSKINS on it at the Packers-Redskins game. If it doesn’t bother Durant, then it doesn’t need to bother you. It’s not your problem, so go worry about something that’s relevant to you. No one cares.

14. That meeting today was simple:

RG: “Dan, if the Super Bowl goes off this year with out any major hitches, we’ll give you 2 SB’s plus put you in the rotation… if you change the name”
    DS: “Hail to the Bravehearts”

15. It;s Snyder’s team at this point, and he can name them whatever he wants. However, he should at least man up and talk to the Oneida Nation reps himself, instead of meeting Goodell, and having HIM tell them. Grow a set, Dan.

16. If using the name Redskin is cool with you then I assume the word Blackskin and Yellowskin and Whiteskin are just as okay in your mind. If they aren’t and you still think Redskin is okay then I suggest you get your inner-mongoloid checked out.

I’m Anglo. I have no problem with Whiteskin as a team name. I’ve got more important things to worry about.

17. Best news I’ve heard all day! No matter how much anyone reports of this or complains the name isn’t changing period. Woo-Hoo! Dan Snyder has earned my Total Respect for for not caving in.

18. usethybrainchild says:
    Oct 29, 2013 2:38 PM

==================

I dont care if they change it or not, but your argument is so lame. It is all about context and connotation. What you are saying is, 80+ years ago, they were sitting around, discussing the team name, and one of them looked around and said to everyone “check it out guys, I absolutely hate those damned indians around here. Just to really get under their skin, lets name the team the redskins. I hate them so much, I want my team to be named after them. They are going to be so offended that we did that, it is going to be epic”.

Do you really think that happened???

19. Bravo for Snyder. The only people who care about these issues are white folks who are trying to validate their PC status. The handful of Native Americans couldn’t care less. But the white PC police are in their ears stirring the pot.

20. Snyder, himself, will never change the name. the writing on the wall seems more less clear: Corporate sponsorship for the name. He will sell the naming rights for a lot of $$. The sponsor may even cover the cost of new uni’s and gear and you better believe he will get a giant chunk of that.

Teams don’t make their money on selling gear or even tickets and concessions – the $$ comes from TV contracts. Team naming rights are the next big revenue source.

So tallyho the Washington Fed Ex “Deliverers” – beat those New York Apple i-giants

21. This issue is not about perceived racism, it is about a much larger issue. I am an American who happens to be black. This issue is about the 1st amendment to the constitution. This is a private business and Mr. Snyder has an unalienable right to exercise his right, guaranteed by our constitution. The constitution does not state that we are guaranteed these rights as long as they do not offend someone, it only guarantees it. If you are offended, no matter what your race is, simply refuse to watch the Washington Redskins, and or buy their apparel. Cheer for the opposing team, peacefully descent by picketing or by whatever other lawful means that our beloved constitution guarantees you. But by all means, do not support the forceful overturning of Mr. Snyder’s decision. For it will mean that anytime anyone disagrees with you, your lawful execution of your constitutional rights can be circumvented. I personally support Mr. Snyder’s decision and find nothing offensive (although I have no native blood running through my veins). But I am old enough to remember what “real” racism was like in America, and let me say this, there were “sticks and stones” back then. Names didn’t hurt nearly as much. I am not a Redskins’ fan but on this issue I say, “Go Redskins”! Mr. Snyder, please do not back down to the PC police! This is the land of the free!

22. Snyder owns the team he can do what he wants. Could the NFL not allow them in the league? Now that’s a slippery slope……..

If you are so offended by the name or you think its racist and are outrgaed, then put your money where your mouth is and don’t go to games, watch games, or buy NFL products.
    Hit the NFL where it hurts….$$$$$

Otherwise, quit your mock outrage!!

23. To those saying I approve of this name. Or I am white, and am fine with a team being Whiteskins. You are fine with that because no one has done anything to you. It’s called white privilege. What that means is, you don’t have to worry about waking up everyday wondering if something bad will happen to you because you are white. No one has enslaved you in this country. No one has classified you as a minority. No one stole a country from you. This is the problem we have as a nation. We have people making decisions who clearly don’t see the other side of the coin ever. Dan Snyder wakes up and says I am rich, and I don’t care if you find our team name offensive. Go back to your reservation and leave my lame football team alone.

24. when will people realize redskins does not stand for the color of someones skin. the term relates to the native americans who used to rub red clay on their faces and bodys before battle. nothing racist whatsoever. PRIDE

25. I realize that 90% of readers will have to google this name, but – when George Wallace personally stood in the doorway at the University of Alabama to block African Americans from enrolling, no one would have believed he would later say he wrong.

Eventually, Snyder will change, too.

26. Let’s all collectively stop clicking on these Redskins name change articles so they finally go away…

27. Snyder is an idiot but he is right in not caving in to these PC idiots. It will just open up the door for more if he decided to change his teams name. He shouldn’t have to.

28. “Why would the government bail out the Redskins for a name change? The NFL is already a tax exempt organization. They’ve gotten a yearly bail out on taxes for 40 plus years.”
    ——————————–

Taxes are a different matter, but the fact that they are tax exempt proves my point. The NFL owners have an immense amount of sway with politicians– lack of taxes and the near-free stadiums attest to this.

Whatever anyone thinks of the team name, that name is worth hundreds of millions of dollars and you can’t take away that sort of value from anyone without compensation. It would stand to reason that the NFL would be the ones who would force Snyder to give up the name– but that would put the other owners on the hook for compensation, and that will never happen.

So then it comes down to public pressure, and public pressure means nothing if the name value cannot be compensated for. And we know that the ones crying the loudest– the PC crowd– never use their own money, they rely on the government to fund their wishes and programs.

And we know that Obama is big on nonsense bailouts, and that he likes to be looked at as the crusader of PC justice. And we know that the NFL owners are in with congress….

Redskins Bailout coming soon…

29. I was at the Redskins/Broncos game this past Sunday. On my way out, I had the honor of meeting a man, dressed in Redskins gear, who was at the first Redskins home game ever, in 1937. I call myself a lifelong fan and I am. But this man was a LIFELONG fan.

He told me in no uncertain terms that if the name is changed, he’ll drop his support for the team.

I’ve already told all my friends I’ll do the same. Now I’m telling you.

I’m sure there are many, MANY others out there like me. Like that gentle old man.

30. Deadskins, Losers, overpayer’s, red lobsters, otherteamfrom MD, wewinonlyinstrikeseasons, our owner sucks, shanagins, worststadiuminfl.

Cmon Skins fans there as so many new names to change to. I mean look at the success at the last pro team to change names. Who can stop the WIZ!!

If that doesn’t work regain your senses and cmon up 95 where we have a Great owner, Real GM, coach, team and stadium that won’t rob you blind while you attend.

31. It’s his team and it’s a free country, he can espouse racism if he wants! Unless he wants to marry his male GM, then we have a problem with that. hypocrites.

32. I know one way Danny Boy will change his mind….if someone points out the billion dollars he’d make in new merchandise sold…suddenly never then becomes I’m good with the change. Plus the good press he’d receive. See his mug on ever show in the country.

33. I guess I don’t understand why this is or remains a story. I wish Dan would just say the following: the last time I checked, I own this team and whether or not anyone likes it I will make all the crappy deals I want for over the hill and overpriced free agents and I will also keep or change the team’s name in my sole discretion. The name stays. Thanks for inquiring now if you will excuse me I have a 2-5 team to tend to.

34. It’s a free country and it’s his team, he can keep the name if he wants. It’s not like he’s forcing people to buy insurance.

35. jamaltimore says:
    Oct 29, 2013 3:21 PM
    otherteamfrom MD,
    ————-
    Not a Skins fan but the Ravens can’t even touch the Redskins in terms of team history or success.

36. Mr. Snyder is NOT the anti-PC hero. He is barganing the name-change for considerations towards relocating his team closer to the city limits. Its the same formula used by the previous owner, Jack Kent Cooke, who bought cheap, unincorporated land in Prince George’s County, Maryland and then used our tax dollars to build the required infrastructure, most notably Exit 16 of The Beltway. No complaints here. That was good business, using government money to improve private assets. Mr. Snyder has to be jealous of the setup Mr. Jones has down in Dallas. He wants in, with a new stadium in the city, and knows that this name-change issue can be used as a bargaining chip. So, @dalcow4, stop accusing me of using tax dollars. Look at your hero instead.

37. Good for him. Never change that name!

I’m no Redskins fan or am particularly fond of Snyder, although the guy is a self-made billionaire that didn’t just inherit the Redskins or had a load on old family money plunked into his lap.

He’s not about to succumb to any BS from a small group of radicals (and Bob Costas) LOL!

I bet he already told the NFL that if they want the name changed, they’ll need to buy the team for double their current market value.

38. getyourownname says:
    Oct 29, 2013 3:16 PM
    “I realize that 90% of readers will have to google this name, but – when George Wallace personally stood in the doorway at the University of Alabama to block African Americans from enrolling, no one would have believed he would later say he wrong.”

___________

You clearly are educated, and quite masterful using Google, but I recommend stepping away from your computer and taking a trip to visit a handful of the many schools on or near reservations whose populations are nearly 100% Native and ask them why they continue use the nickname Redskins. One day you might learn that you are wrong.

39. Bottom line, the Redskins name is brand. A brand that is worth ALOT of money that would have to be scrapped, and remarketed under a new name (think $$$).

It’s not just principle to keep the name, its also good business.

40. To be honest, I feel like the major media outlets who are driving this topic have already gotten bored with it. You’ll find it on sports sites. The new hot topics …the royal baptism and a badly designed healthcare site.

41. steaderic says:
    Oct 29, 2013 3:42 PM
    getyourownname says:
    Oct 29, 2013 3:16 PM

___________

===========================

42. The only time I’ll root for the filthy stinkin Redskins. I don’t understand sensitivity… No name change!

43. @usethybrainchild

—————–

Redskin is probably a racist name but why are you bringing Mongoloids into the conversation? “Inner-Mongoloid checked out??!!” That sounds like a derogatory reference for about 1/3 of the worlds population. If you are standing on a soap box you should really be more educated about your PC…

Mongoloid /ˈmɒŋ.ɡə.lɔɪd/[1][2] refers to populations that share certain phenotypic traits such as epicanthic fold and shovel-shaped incisors and other physical traits common in most of Asia (including Central Asia, South East Asia, East Asia, etc.), the Arctic, the Americas and most of the Pacific Islands. In terms of population, they are the most dominant race – more than one third of human race.

44. Dan Snyder is a vain and foolish man.

This is an issue whose time has come.

The Redskins will eventually change their name.

He is just making it more difficult.

The issue will not go away.

It will become a distraction, and in the end, takes away from football and the focus on the team.

And that’s bad for the Redskins sand their fans.

45. “Do you really need to do any research before you determine that the term is offensive? What is wrong with some of the people of this country. YOU DON’T ASSOCIATE SKIN COLOR WITH A FREAKING MASCOT. WOW IT’S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE!”

__________

The name is not about skin color. It’s about warriors who painted their faces and bodies red before going into battle. I would recommend doing some a little research before deciding what is or is not offensive for me and 90+% of the Native population. Unless you think they are too stupid to know what should offend them. Rocket science indeed!

46. If I were Native American I would be truly offended that a bunch of white and black people presume to know what does and doesn’t offend me. Native Americans are not babies or special needs people who need you to stick up for them. That is straight up offensive. If the Oneida Nation can organize a petition showing that most Native Americans are offended then absolutely change the name. However, to this point, all the pollings show otherwise, but for some reason a bunch of white and black guys feel the need to protect a group of people not asking for their protection.

47. Why is this a Native American argument, redskin, redneck, aren’t they the same thing? Is the name truly a racial slur. I see rednecks calling themselves rednecks all the time. Native Americans aren’t red.

48. urfinished says:
    Oct 29, 2013 2:50 PM
    blackandbluedivision says:
    Oct 29, 2013 2:36 PM
    Racism is still alive and well.

Or are people still relying on an almost decade old survey?
    ————————————————

___________________

Yes. I knew that I heard it from the same person you did, Dan Snyder.

But, did you know that there is some dispute whether the coach was Native American or not.

Plus, this was 1932. Smack in the middle of the Jim Crow Era. A time when blacks and whites had to use separate facilities and knee deep in segregation. Months after the owner of the team lead a 13 year ban on black players.

Even they did offend Native Americans back then. I don’t think they even cared. Much like today.

49. boiler72 says:
    Oct 29, 2013 2:51 PM
    blackandbluedivision says: Oct 29, 2013 2:36 PM

Racism is still alive and well.

_____________________________

_____________________

Durant is a black. I said Native American.

50. I’m still waiting for the NFL to put pressure on the Chiefs to change their name for the same reason.

I’m also waiting for atheists in New Orleans to complain about being offended for their team being associated with a religious term, people of Norwegian descent to complain about the Minnesota Vikings, and midgets complaining about the Giants.

51. The name which y’all say honors Native Americans is a racist epithet, which you would NEVER call a Native American to his face. Seriously, you’re defending that?
    Yes, there are a million more serious issues facing Native Americans, but if you call a Native American by the name you say honors them, he’ll hit you in the face.
    Seriously, you’re defending that?
    Your franchise was the last team in the sport to integrate, thanks to the founder of the team literally having been a member of the KKK, and you’re defending the racist name he and his KKK buddies gave your team.
    Seriously, you’re defending that?

The name should be the Rams, or maybe the Ewes, because you’re all a bunch of mindless dittohead sheep. Politically correct? Just correct.

52. He has the right to keep the name.

And everyone else has the right to call him stupid. And sometimes calling him stupid for not changing the name.

I could take Snyder a little more serious on this, if he didn’t have a habit of labeling his critics anti-semitic.

53. usethybrainchild says:
    Oct 29, 2013 2:38 PM
    ——————————————
    WOW you just derailed your entire argument by ending with the word mongoloid. You do realize that’s a derogatory term for the mentally handicapped right? It used to be a commonly accepted term, but then people decided it was derogatory so they replaced it with the term retarded, that too was eventually found offensive and replaced with the term mentally handicapped. It sounds like this is the progression you wish to take place with the term redskin, but here you are resurrecting old insults like mongoloid. Hypocrite anyone?

54. bgrillz says:
    Oct 29, 2013 3:08 PM

______________________

2 more things about your ignorant post

1) As many people have stated, Redskins doesn’t refer to the natural color of Native’s skins, but rather the fact that they rubbed clay on their face before battle. Seems inoffensive enough.

2) California has classified me as a minority. But guess what? That’s irrelevant. What does being classified as a minority have to do with anything? If you are classified as a minority in this country, you are more likely to benefit from it than be hurt by it. Are there still ignorant racists in this country? You bet – and they’re racist again blacks, whites, Asians, Hispanics, Native Americans, etc. Quit trying to group “whites” into one large, all-encompassing category, as that makes you a bigot

55. @SEAHHAWKGOAT….Snyder wakes up like most Americans and sees that nobody cares, nobody uses it in a derogatory way, and <.001% of people are not offended. If people were offended, they would of rallied in masses over the past 30 years. Open your eyes….don't let white guilt get to you.

56. The name is not nearly as offensive as other true racist terms.
    Don’t believe me? Here’s an exercise:

In public… say the name of the NFL team that plays in Washington. Out loud.

Next, in public…say the N word. Out loud.

See which remark gets ignored, and which one gets a response.

The name stays.

57. I’m in your corner Dan. I think we already played and won the Cowboys and Indians game. Ha Ha. Dan is right. The Redskins name is a Registered Trademark that is worth hundreds of millions of dollars. It’s crazy for any intelligent American to think this name will be changed. This ain’t Russia or China yet. We’re still free. People that don’t like church don’t go, they don’t lobby to change or move or abolish the church. People that don’t drink don’t go to bars, they don’t lobby to move or change or abolish the bar. Too funny. Geaux Saints!

58. To ensure they are taken seriously Oneida Indian Nation needs to start protesting the Native High Schools that use the same nick-name.

This will prove that they are serious about the NFL doing the right thing and that they are not political opportunists.

59. blackandbluedivision says:
    Oct 29, 2013 2:36 PM
    Racism is still alive and well.

Or are people still relying on an almost decade old survey?

…..Racism is alive and well because race baiting liberals keep using it as a tool for their agenda

60. It’s not danny boy’s decision alone. Synder can’t sell “Redskins” merchandise without the NFL logo on it. In a recent merchandising monoply case, a federal appeals court ruled that the league is a single entity that operates as one business, not 32 competing businesses. The name will change eventually.

61. One of the only decisions made by Snyder that Redskin fans can agree with.

If we could only remind the liberals of the countless trees Snyder cut down on his mansion to enhance the view of the Potomac river then the discussion would divert from a honored name to trees.

True story.

62. 302baller says:
    Oct 29, 2013 4:58 PM

____________

Baller – you got the wrong guy. I was quoting a previous comment. I couldn't agree with you more. I was stating that Daniel Snyder has earned everything he has, so if he wakes up and says "I'm rich", good for him because he deserves it and worked hard for it

Eyes are open and I have zero white guilt

63. Snyder would change the name to the Washington Weasels if it somehow meant he could get $5 more per car to park at FedEx Field.

64. Really you guys again deleted my comments on the Redskins when I said nothing offensive? How about sending up some smoke signals or something to let us know what you deem acceptable and not acceptable.

65. It’s a huge distraction that will continue to impact on the team.

Even here — no one’s talking about RGIII anymore — or anything else about the team — just this name thing.

It’s going to eventually be changed.

Only question is for how long will Dan Snyder keep shooting himself and his team in the foot.

Hasn’t done him much good, so far.

66. I have to wonder why it is every time the Redskins become national news (not that it happens often) that the Oneida nation brings up that the Redskins need to change their name. They did this in the 80’s and 90’s. The Redskins no longer were a power in the NFL and the Oneida tribe did not pursue the name change (late 90’s mid 2000). Gibbs comes back in the 2000’s they bring it up. He leaves it dies. RGIII comes in they make national news and here they are again wanting the name changed. I would back them more if they were consistent. They are not. It makes me believe that they are in this to only get in the news.

67. The origin of the term “Redskins” is commonly attributed to the historical practice of trading Native American Indian scalps and body parts as bounties and trophies. For example, in 1749, the British bounty on the Mi’kmaq Nation of what is now Maine and Nova Scotia, was a straightforward “ten Guineas for every Indian Micmac taken or killed, to be paid upon producing such Savage taken or his scalp.”

68. Just as devastating was the Phips Proclamation, issued in 1755 by Spencer Phips, Lieutenant Governor and Commander in Chief of the Massachusetts Bay Province, who called for the wholesale extermination of the Penobscot Indian Nation.

By vote of the General Court of the Province, settlers were paid out of the public treasury for killing and scalping the Penobscot people. The bounty for a male Penobscot Indian above the age of 12 was 50 pounds, and his scalp was worth 40 pounds. The bounty for a female Penobscot Indian of any age and for males under the age of 12 was 25 pounds, while their scalps were worth 20 pounds. These scalps were called “redskins.”

69. This is just a simple and soft preemptive strike by Snyder to dig his heels in, and it doubles as a trap to hopefully piss off the Oneida people into retaliating inappropriately or in some way that takes some of the egg off Snyder’s face and transfers it to their own. He’s giving them an opportunity to get upset by reading into this comment and the timing of it a little too far.

70. The only people who think the Redskins name is “controversial” is white liberal people” oh like florio, costas, king etc. The more florio beats this drum, the more entrenched , Dan Snyder becomes and I am proud of him. Btw I thinks it’s hilarious how logicalvoice gets under the skin of all the trolls that hate the redskins. Keep up the good work! HTTR.

71. Do what Prince did…put a symbol after Washington:

Washington ^>

Then everyone must say…
    “the team formerly known as the Redskins”

Name lives on…liberal heads explode.

72. Phantom calls against them, see Pittsburgh game Sunday and phantom no-calls for them, see Indy opening day. I guess someone should tell Goodell that Al Davis died and he doesnt have to keep screwing the Raiders over.

73. The subjugation of Native Americans in the 19th century was one of the most disgraceful acts ever committed by this country. But changing the nickname and cartoon of the Washington Redskins is no way to make amends.

Native Americans themselves don’t take the name “Redskins” to be a slur. They have high school teams with that nickname. But many people in the national media insist that they should be offended, so these people can see themselves on the right side of what they seem to think is the biggest civil rights issue since segregation.

The real issues that are important to the Native Americans are poverty, education and a shamefully high rate of unemployment. But you won’t see the media form a crusade to address these issues, because the public would not be interested and articles on sites such as this one would draw 20 comments instead of 200.

74. slick1ru2 says: “Why would the government bail out the Redskins for a name change? The NFL is already a tax exempt organization. They’ve gotten a yearly bail out on taxes for 40 plus years.”

You really don’t know what you are talking about. The NFL corporate is tax exempt because they don’t make a profit. With no profit, there is no income to tax, so there is no bail out on taxes. All revenue for the NFL is distributed to 32 franchises, the Redskins being one of them. The Redskins are not tax exempt. They pay taxes like any other business, so again, there is no bail out.

75. racistredskins says: “Just as devastating was the Phips Proclamation…These scalps were called ‘redskins’.”

However, since the proclamation itself does not use the word redskin, citing it as the origin of “redskin = scalp” has also been called “revisionist history”.[16]

76. Oct 29, 2013 3:08 PM
    bgrillz says: some myopic stuff that has to be addressed.

White privilege? Really? Maybe in the distant past but not now. Now, the only group of people that can “legally” be denied a job or promotion strictly due to race are “white people” because of affirmative action. In the NFL a white man is the only coach that cannot be hired on the spot for a HC vacancy without first interviewing a “minority candidate” due to the Rooney rule.

“No one has classified you as a minority. No one stole a country from you.”

Ok, so what does that even mean? Political maps change constantly and are usually changed due to war/occupation. Always has been. What damage has been done by identifying that someone belongs to a certain group that has a lesser number than another group? Actually being classified as a minority has certain monetary benefits–which is the main reason for the classification in the first place.

“No one has enslaved you in this country.” True. But, no one has enslaved you either. Guess how many people living in this country have been enslaved due to their race? Zero, outside of maybe a handful that endured captivity by some psycho/serial killer type. Yes, zero, if you are referring to the slavery issue in this country’s history. Unless of course there are some 150+ year old black people or native americans that we are not aware of. BTW, EVERY race has experienced slavery. The slavery in the past is no more relevant to a black man or native american in 2013 than the Vikings enslavement of anglo-saxons and other western Europeans 1000 years ago. Just because distant relatives down the ancestral timeline were wronged by someone does not mean I have a right to feel owed anything now. Believing otherwise is why very little progress has been made in certain segments of the population.

77. Truth be told, I doubt if you’d find any blacks on the team who would be offended if the name was changed to Blackskins any more than whites would be offended if it were changed to Whiteskins. It doesn’t take a genius to figure out that Redskins is used and meant to be positive.

78. What will happen when top tier free agents start stating the reason they don’t sign with Washington is because of the name?What would Snyder do if RG3 said, he didn’t like the name?

Pretty surprised that most media outlets who have spent a lot of time on this issue have not been grilling the players and coaches from Washington for quotes at every turn.

79. middy8484 says:
    Oct 29, 2013 10:48 PM
    I love Dan stance on this. Goofdell is a idiot and the worst Commisioner ever of any major sport

————————————————–

Like Goodell or not, he ain’t Gary Bettman. There’s no way Goodell is worse than him.

80. Snyder’s blowing smoke up the wazoo for tradition. He’ll make more $$ from licensing fees by changing the name.

Name changes of professional teams (for any reason)
    Houston Oilers=Tennessee Titans
    Cleveland Browns=Baltimore Ravens
    Original Houston Texans=Kansas City Chiefs
    New Orleans Hornets = New Orleans Pelicans
    Charlotte Hornets=Charlotte Bobcats=Charlotte Hornets.

81. As a deeply religious person I am offended by the mascots Duke Blue Devils, Arizona State Sun Devils, DePaul Blue Demons, Wake Forest Demon Deacons, and any other names used by colleges and high schools which have Devil, Demon, Satan, etc… for youth should not be exposed to such images of evil being powerful or good or noble. I’m seriously offended by these names and even though I am only one person should all these names be changed because of it? What are my chances of getting the names changed based on religious principles, for we all know in this country religion is just as powerful and controversial as race when it comes to various issues.

82. juice997 says:
    Oct 29, 2013 3:07 PM

*********

You clearly know nothing about the first amendment to the constitution. This is not a free speech issue.

For it to be a free speech issue, the government would need to be impeding the use of the name.

83. Best thing he could do is encourage a lawsuit. It would be on horribly weak ground legally, even though they probably don’t realize it yet. Not to mention the spending advantage behind the Redskins and the NFL, who have lawyers working for them full time. All that wasted money, a 90% approval for the name with the public, and a definitive “no” from the courts would kill this decades-old story for quite awhile.