Ray Rice says he didn’t spit on Phil Taylor in Week Two

Ray Rice AP

The Ravens and Browns are squaring off for the second time this season on Sunday, which means that bad blood from the first meeting is getting churned up.

In that Week Two matchup, Browns defensive tackle Phil Taylor got a 15-yard penalty for slapping Ravens running back Ray Rice in the helmet as the two were jawing after a play early in the game. Taylor hinted after the game that Rice spat on him, which Ravens coach John Harbaugh denied at the time and which Rice denied this week when asked about the altercation.

“It’s old,” Rice said, via the Baltimore Sun. “There’s nothing that came out of it. Two guys jawing at each other and I had my mouthpiece in, so when I went to say something back to him, it looked as if I projected toward him, but I had my mouthpiece in. I was saying something, he was saying something. Obviously, that’s what happened. We’ll leave it at that. Phil Taylor is a great young player, a dominant force. I’ve got tremendous respect for him.”

Perhaps it was Roger McDowell all along?

Neither player was fined by the NFL for the incident, which shouldn’t be much more than distant backstory for Sunday’s game since the Ravens badly need a win to keep their feet in the playoff race heading into the second half.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Cleveland Browns, Home, Rumor Mill
10 Responses to “Ray Rice says he didn’t spit on Phil Taylor in Week Two”
  1. Foghorn The IKonoclast says: Oct 31, 2013 8:54 AM

Ray is a class act and I trust him in this matter.

2. broncostevenp says: Oct 31, 2013 9:03 AM

Yeah Ray, ya did.

3. joemammy says: Oct 31, 2013 9:12 AM

Did anyone really expect him to admit it?

4. detectivejimmymcnulty says: Oct 31, 2013 9:16 AM

The Cowboys have been a soap opera for a long time, starring Jerry Jones.

5. baltimoresnativeson says: Oct 31, 2013 9:44 AM

Flacco still hasn’t lost to the Brownies in his entire career. 5 years and counting.

Sincerely, World Champs

6. mistersmith22 says: Oct 31, 2013 2:40 PM

“Neither player was fined by the NFL for the incident, which shouldn’t be much more than distant backstory for Sunday’s game…”

So it was nothing, that resulted in no problems for anyone, and it should be a distant backstory. Yet, here we are. Great jorb!

7. kwjsb says: Oct 31, 2013 5:25 PM

Saw the tape, Ray ya did. Just like another “Rayven” that police had video of him leaving his hotel in a white suit and returning in his BVDs. The tape don’t lie, but justice is blind.

8. winorlose6burgh says: Oct 31, 2013 8:30 PM

Ray I have HD tv I saw u lol ratbirds

9. ravensterps says: Oct 31, 2013 9:13 PM

Lots of people commenting who have obviously never worn a mouthguard.

10. ampatsisahypocrite says: Oct 31, 2013 10:27 PM

True story. When Flacco was growing up, he and a couple buds used to make some money mowing lawns. Well, Flacco’s friends did. Flacco would just sit back and watch them mow, then step in at the last minute and move the lawn mower a few feet. That way, if the job was done well, and the neighbors gave out credit, they’d give Flacco most of the credit. Even though his friends had actually accomplished the work.

Funny how it worked out. The guys made 500 dollars that summer, and $460 of it went to Flacco. All for basically doing nothing.