Blackmon apologizes to owner, teammates, coaches

Jaguars Broncos Football AP

As Jaguars receiver Justin Blackmon deals with the latest obstacle to a promising and productive NFL career, Blackmon has begun the process regaining the trust of his organization by apologizing to it.

“I want to sincerely apologize to Mr. Khan, my teammates, my coaches and to the Jaguars fans for not utilizing the resources that I was provided to overcome my challenges,” Blackmon said in a statement released to PFT.  “I am determined to overcome the issues that have resulted in this situation, and I truly appreciate the support that the Jaguars and my agent have shown me.

“I will address these matters with the type of intensity I usually direct toward my on-field play so that I can be ready to be a productive member of the team and community next season.  Again, I am truly sorry to Mr. Khan, my teammates and coaches and to the Jaguars fans for the impact of my situation on the team as well as to my family and friends and those that have been there for me during these challenging times.  Nobody is more disappointed with all of this than me.”

He should be.  Combining the four-game suspension with the eight-game suspension, Blackmon lost $966,000 in base salary.  He also forfeits $1.33 million of signing bonus money for the 12 games missed in 2013, and he jeopardizes $3 million in signing-bonus money that was carved out of his signing bonus and converted to 2014 and 2015 roster bonuses.

That’s a total cost for now of $2.296 million, plus another possible $3.09 million if he doesn’t return to the league, or if the Jaguars cut him.

He’ll also lose base salary of $2.072 million and $2.914 million if he doesn’t return to the NFL, or if he’s cut by the Jaguars.

That’s a total actual and potential loss of $10.372 million.

Permalink 88 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Jacksonville Jaguars, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
88 Responses to “Blackmon apologizes to owner, teammates, coaches”
  1. thestrategyexpert says: Nov 1, 2013 4:43 PM

Better later than never to figure this out. Good for you Justin, just don’t blow it with your next chance. If only NFL GMs could admit when they made a mistake.

2. nyyjetsknicks says: Nov 1, 2013 4:43 PM

Raiders sign him in 3…2…1…

3. scoops1 says: Nov 1, 2013 4:44 PM

….what about the Fans….?

4. beavertonsteve says: Nov 1, 2013 4:44 PM

I drafted Cecil Shorts no need to apoligize to me Justin.

5. johnnyb216 says: Nov 1, 2013 4:45 PM

But this time he meant it… What a loser.

6. jjb0811 says: Nov 1, 2013 4:46 PM

Traded the wrong guy. Monroe worked his butt off, studied the game and is a solid person. So naturally Jags trade him away, Keep Blackmon and lose the #2 pick to an injury. Cleveland you have competition for most cursed franchise.

7. sellout1983 says: Nov 1, 2013 4:48 PM

Cue the Benny Hill music…

8. rzasharp says: Nov 1, 2013 4:48 PM

yes, because clearly money is the most important priority in his life right now. This article is dumber than the “terrell owens has 25 million reasons to live” quote

9. jakec4 says: Nov 1, 2013 4:48 PM

When they release these statements they could at least pretend that the player played some role in penning the content.

10. bettis3636 says: Nov 1, 2013 4:49 PM

Nothing he can say will justify his actions.. The kid doesn’t wanna change cuz if he did he woulda learned the first time. This is a display of ignorance!

11. jeffa43 says: Nov 1, 2013 4:49 PM

I work my a#% off for a fraction of a percentage of what this guy is making….

Dude just does not understand the value of a dollar.

Now if he got suspended for herbs…. then the person who handed the decision down after sucking back some Jack Daniels should be fired.

12. terrorhawk2 says: Nov 1, 2013 4:50 PM

aaaahhh… still the best and most effective player on the field. maybe the rest of the team should light up…

13. 80sbroncofan says: Nov 1, 2013 4:51 PM

Jacksonville should be apologizing to Blackmon for drafting him to such a crappy team.

14. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Nov 1, 2013 4:52 PM

Thanks for the four games, Justin.

15. lionshawk says: Nov 1, 2013 4:53 PM

Better get him in touch with Chris Carter. Maybe he can mentor this guy before he becomes Charles Rogers 2.0. Blackmon needs a new outlook on life and help with drug dependency his continuing NFL career is second to overcoming the potential future life of drug abuse.

16. nfl4days says: Nov 1, 2013 4:54 PM

I bet if he got a DUI he wouldn’t be suspended But god forbid he smokes some pot. Give me a break. They treat pot smokers worse than PED users and people with multiple DUIs

17. mickmars says: Nov 1, 2013 4:55 PM

If I played for Jacksonville I’d be testing positive on a daily basis, trying to forget I play for Jacksonville…..

18. dublindemonszfl says: Nov 1, 2013 4:57 PM

10 million doobies!!!

19. linvillegorge says: Nov 1, 2013 4:57 PM

You have serious issues if you’re willing to risk millions of dollars to get drunk or high. I think testing for marijuana is stupid, but these guys need to realize that their careers and time frame to make money is relatively short. They’ll have a long time afterwards to smoke like Bob Marley if they so choose.

20. eaglesnoles05 says: Nov 1, 2013 4:58 PM

Give Chip Kelly a chance to set this guy straight.

21. dallasbaby says: Nov 1, 2013 4:58 PM

APOLOGIZE TO MY FANTASY TEAM

22. Stupid Lions Fan says: Nov 1, 2013 4:59 PM

Ignorance and money will always find a way to part.

23. mobil4life says: Nov 1, 2013 4:59 PM

Next season? HA. Goodell, do the right thing and ban him for life. Set the example.

24. brainslicer says: Nov 1, 2013 5:00 PM

I love these releases “from the athlete”. Now we know what his attorney and/or publicist think, but I am left to wonder what Justin is actually thinking. Why bother reprinting what obviously is written by someone other than the athlete, and then analyzing their sincerity. Total waste of time.

25. beastmode5150 says: Nov 1, 2013 5:01 PM

Can’t fix stupid.

26. billybarrule says: Nov 1, 2013 5:03 PM

I wonder if Blackmon read his lawyer’ statement.

27. nflofficeadmin says: Nov 1, 2013 5:05 PM

He can always be the spokesman for Herbalife.

28. gochargersgo says: Nov 1, 2013 5:05 PM

Not to mention all the potential earning power he has now lost, considering his production at the end of next year he’d be paid like top-10 wideout. So potentially has already cost himself tens of millions.

29. coltzfan166 says: Nov 1, 2013 5:06 PM

Jacksonville right now is pretty much at an all-time low as a franchise and things really can’t get much worse. One thing they could do to change the culture, bring some light to the team and fans, would be to sign Tebow.

30. rcali says: Nov 1, 2013 5:07 PM

Well, somebody was going to draft him and probably not a coincidence that the Jags look hopeless right now to the point where God dell wants to put them across the Atlantic.

31. tacowrecker says: Nov 1, 2013 5:07 PM

Such a poignant, heartfelt apology.. written by professional PR people…that he had absolutely nothing to do with creating. What complete and utter garbage! Quit wasting our time..

32. thestrategyexpert says: Nov 1, 2013 5:10 PM

dallasbaby:

We all have to accept responsibility for our actions.

That being said, YOU drafted him! :)

33. nonetruerthanblue says: Nov 1, 2013 5:12 PM

Fool said all of that last time…copy and paste, I think

34. monkeyjuice313 says: Nov 1, 2013 5:12 PM

Duuuuude! You have the world in your hands…stop putting everything up your nose. C’mon man.

35. boltfansmith says: Nov 1, 2013 5:13 PM

Dumb

36. zinn22 says: Nov 1, 2013 5:15 PM

While I agree that Blackmon is incredibly stupid, immature and irresponsible by wasting his future. But I have to say isn’t it time that the NFL woke up and took Marijuana off the banned list. The country is moving towards legalizing Marijuana. It is an eventuality. Almost half the states allow medical Marijuana and it is only a matter of time until it is legal in all 50 states. To suspend and end players career for the use of Marijuana, which harms no one, is simply wrong.

37. jvillenole says: Nov 1, 2013 5:17 PM

Just when I though things couldn’t possibly get any worse…

Unbelievable!

38. granadafan says: Nov 1, 2013 5:20 PM

PFT, why don’t you question the validity of these “apologies”? Stop saying “[Insert Athlete] apologized in a statement issued by….”. Instead, you should be saying that “The agent/ PR team for [Insert Athlete] issued a statement apologized…..”.

It’s evident to anyone who listens to these athletes that they can barely string a grammatically correct statement, let alone use words with more than two syllables.

If Blackmon or drug cheats like Ryan Braun are truly sorry, then let them apologize in front of the cameras WITHOUT reading a pre-prepared statement. Until then we smart fans don’t believe it.

39. chillyball says: Nov 1, 2013 5:20 PM

Nothing wrong with the Herb. Just outdated laws.

40. pixelito says: Nov 1, 2013 5:22 PM

He’s done

41. goldiehawn9 says: Nov 1, 2013 5:23 PM

Didn’t Blackmon already apologize when he found out about the four game suspension? That said who cares if he drinks or does weed…. I don’t.

42. slizzyslizz says: Nov 1, 2013 5:33 PM

“Dez Bryant without the problems…”

Hahahahahahava

43. thestrategyexpert says: Nov 1, 2013 5:37 PM

granadafan:

There’s no rule that says people with good PR advice can’t help you write a letter. It’s also a pretty weak apology and letter from a true PR standpoint and it has a goofy juncture where he says “again” to preface the start of reminding us about the apology he gave only 5 seconds before that. It’s not really very thorough or well constructed. It feels like he tried his best in his own words to come up with his own apology.

And if he borrowed SOME or even all of the words then that’s ok too, it’s fair. Haven’t you ever bought a greeting card before? I don’t buy greeting cards myself because I wouldn’t want to pay somebody to say that kind of message for myself, but if I couldn’t come up with the right words to protect my business interests as well as make an emotional appeal to all affected parties then I’d be willing to let somebody help me with something like that.

This is a serious matter and he has every right to determine what his story is regardless of how he went about to construct the story.

44. farvite says: Nov 1, 2013 5:38 PM

Wish I had talent and millions in earning potential to piss away.

45. i10east says: Nov 1, 2013 5:43 PM

The same Jags fans blaming Gene Smith for drafting Blackmon are probably the same ones who were cheering ecstatically when he got drafted. I’m not a Gene apologist, but it’s easy to play retroactive Monday morning QB with this thing. Blackmon is a boneheaded moron. Looks like we’re gonna have to cut our losses.

46. bigmas26 says: Nov 1, 2013 5:44 PM

This is really gonna hurt Jags championship run!

47. thestrategyexpert says: Nov 1, 2013 5:46 PM

farvite:

What would you do with your fortune?

Poof, you now have $100MM from a lottery win, what’s your next move?

48. jaygonz101 says: Nov 1, 2013 5:51 PM

Where is warren moon now defending his character over my boy dez bryant? Has dez ever been suspended yet?

49. slippyal2 says: Nov 1, 2013 5:52 PM

He apologized to Jaguars fans? They have them?

50. lionshawk says: Nov 1, 2013 5:54 PM

So with the change in law if Blackmon played in Denver would he be in violation?

51. jakec4 says: Nov 1, 2013 6:00 PM

thestrategyexpert says: Nov 1, 2013 5:37 PM

granadafan:

———————————————————-

Do you work in the Jags PR department? The story did say that the statement was released to PFT. Nobody with a brain believes Blackmon had anything to do with this statement except for maybe approving it.

The greeting card analogy wasn’t bad, but cards are personalized for people that you know. Something more private.

52. jayniner says: Nov 1, 2013 6:03 PM

That’s great and all….but what was the substance?

53. holmesra18 says: Nov 1, 2013 6:11 PM

54. sbowman1479 says: Nov 1, 2013 6:14 PM

I really hope Josh Gordon of the Browns uses J Blackmon’s story as a blueprint of what not to do. Both of them have plenty of talent yet only one of these guys still can suit up Sunday…. The NFL doesn’t mess around when it comes to their drug program. Keep on keeping on Josh.

55. metalhead65 says: Nov 1, 2013 6:17 PM

it has to be for more than weed, how stupid must you be not to realize that you won’t be able to afford the crack if you keep getting suspended? the jags need to just cut him and refuse to pay him. what is the point of having a conduct detrimental to the team clause in the contract if you can’t enforce it? fight the union as long as it takes and maybe while he flipping burgers he will realize what he has done with his life and at least stop doing the drugs. nobody should sign him if he is reinstated either. just because they can does not mean they should have to. why pay this loser and take another chance he will decide to crack up again? if you have not learned after 2 chances then see ya later.

56. thelegendofkikoalonso says: Nov 1, 2013 6:19 PM

Whats worse, doing drugs or hitting your own mother?

57. jimmysee says: Nov 1, 2013 6:30 PM

He’s taking the “Hollywood Cure.”

Good luck with that.

It’ll take more than appearances here.

58. thestrategyexpert says: Nov 1, 2013 6:33 PM

jakec4:

No I don’t work for the PR department. I have no idea who wrote the words for this letter. I’m just stating my opinion that it is written somewhat informally. This is not the kind of letter I would expect from a large corporation, so perhaps they did write it and perhaps they even tried to make it sound like it was coming from his own words. I just felt it was fair for him to be attributing this statement to represent what he wants to represent and it doesn’t matter to me exactly which person accounts for which sentence and it’s not like we can ever know for sure who penned this.

Take this letter into a college Communications class and ask the students to analyze it. You’d probably get about 200 pages of commentary about why this is not a perfect and professional letter consistent with a billion dollar organization. So to me that’s plausible that they didn’t write it for him. I’m sorry if you disagree with my opinion on what I think about who might have contributed to the letter. It really isn’t an important issue nor one that can look up and get an answer to.

59. balzer41 says: Nov 1, 2013 6:41 PM

:Trade this guy to the Patriots for a 5th or 6th rounder and let Belichick straigthen him out plus they could use Wide Receivers and the Jags need a ton of draft picks. With the 1st pick in the draft the Jags select Johnny Football.”

……………………………………………………………………………….

God, I hope the Jags take Manziel. Another ten yrs. of divisional dominance for the Colts after Manziel proves to be a colossal bust.

60. razzlejag says: Nov 1, 2013 6:44 PM

I don’t accept your (agent’s/PR person’s) apology, Justin. It’s phony.

I will no longer be a ST holder.

61. justadude71 says: Nov 1, 2013 6:56 PM

“I am sorry, but I just did not want to wear that god aweful helment anymore, so I got myself suspended.”

62. jacksonjames4 says: Nov 1, 2013 7:27 PM

People who annoy you

63. redskinfansince82 says: Nov 1, 2013 7:32 PM

“That’s a total actual and potential loss of $10.372 million”

D0 they Drug test in College? Dude might as well just put the money in a pile and light it all on fire along with his career. He actually makes Haynesworth look smart.

He’s the Bama of the week!

64. doctorrustbelt says: Nov 1, 2013 7:42 PM

Runnin’ around robbin’ banks all whacked on scooby snacks

65. ramitbaby says: Nov 1, 2013 7:48 PM

I think Blackmon is going to be a great ball player for the NFL, but no way in hell did he author that statement.

66. hawkforlife says: Nov 1, 2013 7:54 PM

the support that the Jaguars and my agent have shown me.

Your agent supports you by writing this inane apology and collecting his/her 10% of whatever’s left of your contract dollars.

67. 6thsense79 says: Nov 1, 2013 8:03 PM

Something tells me this statement was written some time last year.

68. bradygirl12 says: Nov 1, 2013 8:12 PM

Yada yada yada…why don’t they just ban this guy already?

69. thejuddstir says: Nov 1, 2013 8:13 PM

Isn’t this the same statement he read last year? On the serious side, if the NFL and the NFLPA agreed on the recent CBA and it spelled out the punishments for substance abuse and multiple offenses, then why the hell is there the need for negotiations to agree on a suspension.

70. sillec28 says: Nov 1, 2013 10:07 PM

Dude needs to decide whether he wants to be a druggie or a football player. Right now my bet is on druggie.

71. johnnyjagfan says: Nov 1, 2013 10:19 PM

Dead to me.

72. thefiesty1 says: Nov 1, 2013 10:34 PM

Obviously didn’t learn a thing in his years at OkieState. Bye, bye, your done.

73. stoicpaisano says: Nov 1, 2013 11:20 PM

Khaaaaaaannnnnnn

74. jpietrefesa says: Nov 1, 2013 11:22 PM

Hey at least he didn’t blame it on adderall…….

75. granadafan says: Nov 1, 2013 11:29 PM

Strategy, the Jags are not a large corporation. I work in a corporation with over 800 people. That’s large. Also, the statement said he “apologized” to the Jags, so why would they write a statement saying he apologized to themselves? No, this was written by his agent who may or may not have barely passed the Bar.

76. joshtanney says: Nov 2, 2013 12:39 AM

Very talented young man, hope he gets over the problems hes going through. Best regards to him and his family in this tough time.

77. seahawkgoat says: Nov 2, 2013 1:09 AM

Redskins

78. asublimeday says: Nov 2, 2013 2:46 AM

What about my fantasy team, Justin?!

79. lance19 says: Nov 2, 2013 2:51 AM

Not that Jacksonville isn’t THE center of attention in the NFL, but doesn’t a story of this length have room for 5 or 6 words reminding folks of what behavior of his this is all about?

80. draconian1111 says: Nov 2, 2013 4:38 AM

Could be mistaken, but didn’t he apologize before saying that this wouldn’t happen again?

81. joetoronto says: Nov 2, 2013 5:53 AM

The may have to remove the Jags from the league.

82. purpleppleeaters says: Nov 2, 2013 7:04 AM

Stupid is, as stupid does.

83. ckhoss29 says: Nov 2, 2013 7:44 AM

Some of you people that are complaining that it’s just a little weed need to wake up. It is an illegal substance under the rules. If its illegal, stop doing it while working in the NFL. It’s not like it’s a secret that it is a banned substance.
    Justin Blackmon probably says the same thing to himself it’s just a little weed, well if it is weed that was a $10 million blunt fool.

84. borisbulldog says: Nov 2, 2013 8:01 AM

No surprise, two Oklahoma State 1st round busts- Weeden and Blackmon!

85. tapasia says: Nov 2, 2013 8:33 AM

C’mon Man!

86. jskzoocrew says: Nov 2, 2013 8:47 AM

0-16

87. dumplingsrbrown says: Nov 2, 2013 8:50 AM

$2.3M blunt? I hope it was the best high ever!

88. thestrategyexpert says: Nov 2, 2013 2:35 PM

granadafan:

I know the Jags aren’t a large corporation and I didn’t say they were.

I’m trying to paint a picture of what the extreme would look like if you could imagine the most polished “corporate PR” type of letter that you could possibly design in theory. That would be the kind of letter that you would NEVER suspect a guy like Blackmon wrote for himself.

My point is THIS letter is way, way, way watered down from that kind of a “stereotypical corpoate” style letter. This sounds like it was more likely written be a regular person who does not have a Communications degree who is trying to sound like he does.

And for that, we can’t assume Blackmon didn’t write the entire letter himself, but even if he didn’t what difference does it matter, because this is not that overly polished professional corporate style of a PR letter anyhow.

My personal opinion is he didn’t come up with this letter idea and ALL of the words himself. I doubt that. I’m guessing his agent simply talked to him and gave him some lines and ideas because Blackmon didn’t want somebody to write the whole thing himself. It was probably a mish-mash and again it doesn’t matter who is responsible for selecting the words! This is just an apology letter and it’s fairly represented by Blackmon.

I think it’s a weak letter personally and if I was his agent I would say let me give you a few more ideas. So that makes it feel more authentic from him since it’s not that great of a letter. The Jags don’t need to be a giant corporation to understand how to write a letter like they are one. Their owner probably could draft a lot better one that Blackmon and/or his agent came up with. But I doubt the owner had any part of picking the words for this.