Colts without Harrison or Wayne for first time since ’98

Colts Replacing Reggie Football AP

The Colts will enter a new era Sunday night against the Texans, doing something some of their teenage fans have never seen.

As pointed out by Mike Chappell of the Indianapolis Star, when they line up against the Texans Sunday, the Colts will play their first game without either Reggie Wayne or Marvin Harrison since Dec. 27, 1998.

Harrison last played in 2008, after a string of 190 straight games. Wayne’s streak of 189 straight appearances will end because of his torn ACL suffered against the Broncos. Between them, that’s a span of 251 straight games including the playoffs with one or both on the field.

“I hear people asking Andrew [Luck] how it’s going to be without Reggie,” longtime receivers coach Clyde Christensen said with a smile. “Well, how about me? This is the first time I’ve been in the [meeting] room without Reggie.

“Believe me, it’s different. He was such a security blanket.”

The last time they played without either of the star wideouts, rookie quarterback Peyton Manning was throwing to Jerome Pathon, Torrance Small, and E.G. Green (along with running back Marshall Faulk and tight end Marcus Pollard).

They lost that game 27-19 to the Panthers, who got touchdowns from Raghib Ismail, Michael Bates, and Tshimanga Biakabutuka that day.

Having covered that game, I now feel very, very old.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill
13 Responses to “Colts without Harrison or Wayne for first time since ’98”
  1. joetoronto says: Nov 1, 2013 10:22 AM

They’ll be just fine, Indy is the team to beat in the AFC.

2. logicalvoicesays says: Nov 1, 2013 10:25 AM

Meanwhile, Pierre Garcon is firmly established as the 2nd best WR in the league only behind Calvin. #Indycantevaluatetalent

3. jnbnet says: Nov 1, 2013 10:29 AM

It’s easy to see that Luck will be one of the great QBs. I have a feeling that he will do just fine. Let’s face it, he would have to be working without Wayne by next year, or the following year at the latest.

4. andrewluck12 says: Nov 1, 2013 10:44 AM

87 & 88 future hall of famers. That said I think we’ll be fine and I’m looking forward to our young guys stepping up.

5. afty2001 says: Nov 1, 2013 11:03 AM

I was a freshman in High School, i’m now in year 11 of my Air Force career. Crazy how long that’s been.

6. fievel03 says: Nov 1, 2013 11:39 AM

Seeing the names of The Rocket Ismail and Touchdown Tim Biakabutuka in a current NFL article gave me pause as I reached for my glass of Metamucil. Stop messing with me, PFT!!!

7. chadmhunt says: Nov 1, 2013 11:51 AM

Actually, Pierre Garcon is the 24th best receiver according to total yards, or 92nd YPC, or 20th in first downs. Close though….

8. securb2013 says: Nov 1, 2013 11:53 AM

I have Darrius Heyward-Bey starting on my fantasy team, fingers crossed.

9. xsfmed says: Nov 1, 2013 11:59 AM

logicalvoicesays says: Nov 1, 2013 10:25 AM

———————————–
    Indy got it right by picking Luck over the brittle, weak-gened RG3. Besides, Garcon was a free agent. He chose more money over sticking with the better QB and franchise. I bet he regrets that decision.

10. calicowboysfan86 says: Nov 1, 2013 12:03 PM

What about us?? Now we can’t watch Reggie play. He’s one of the last pure route runners left in the game. Hoping for a speedy recovery.

11. waussau says: Nov 1, 2013 12:11 PM

After the trade for Richardson, nothing would surprise me with the Colts. That being said, the Redskins have a ton of terrible WRs you can choose from…

12. groleo45 says: Nov 1, 2013 12:47 PM

Biakabutuka was going to be a BEAST before that broken leg…

13. seansds3d says: Nov 1, 2013 1:02 PM

You guys who say the colts will be fine… just wait until your receivers start dropping balls and missing their routes and Luck’s luck runs out and he starts throwing more picks. Sorry but this spells the end of the Colts season. They’ve been playing inconsistent ball anyway and won’t be able to make a push in the playoffs without Wayne.