Saints launch Ring of Honor on November 10

Archie AP

Next Sunday night, the Saints will host the Cowboys on NBC.  As part of the festivities, a trio of all-time franchise greats will become charter members of the team’s Ring of Honor.

The initial inductees are quarterback Archie Manning, linebacker Rickey Jackson, and tackle Willie Roaf.

“This is really a special honor and I’m grateful and indebted to the Saints and the Saints Nation of fans,” Manning said in a statement released by the team.  “We have lived here in New Orleans for 42 years now and I can tell you from the bottom of my heart that this area, not just New Orleans but also southern Louisiana and really the entire Gulf Coast, has been so wonderful to our family  To be joining two incredible football players and men in Rickey and Willie certainly adds to this honor.  I’m truly honored and look forward to a special night.”

“The Saints and our fans have been part a huge and very important part of my life since 1981,” said Jackson, a Hall of Famer.  “To be honored by being inducted in the first class with Archie and Willie means the world to me.  We’re the first guys but we all know that none of us would be there if it wasn’t for the support the organization and our teammates and coaches gave to us.  It will be our names up there but I know we proudly represent a lot of people that were key parts of our journeys.”

“When I played for the Saints I used to look up and see Rickey and Archie’s legacies in the Superdome and quite honestly, I aspired to be like them and that helped motivate and drive me,” Roaf said. “When I was told that this was happening, it was incredible.  Obviously it’s been a nice run recently with the Pro Football Hall of Fame induction. It’s something I’m very thankful for, heartwarming to be 100 percent honest. I went to school in Louisiana, I know the legacy of incredible athletes that have played in Saints uniforms but I also know that incredible moments that have shaped the history of the Superdome.  I thought of Jim Finks when I was told of this honor and how he changed my life.  This is a chance for me to once again thank the Saints fans for what they’ve meant to me.”

Finks is a guy who likely will join them at some point, along with other all-time greats like Deuce McAllister, Sam Mills, Joe Horn, Drew Brees, Sean Payton, and I’m going to stop now before I start omitting deserving names.

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill
32 Responses to “Saints launch Ring of Honor on November 10”
  1. daysend564 says: Nov 1, 2013 2:39 PM

Finally have some one to put up there, do they? Will the jersey have a bag over it?

2. thepftpoet says: Nov 1, 2013 2:44 PM

Bounty gate.

3. nflofficeadmin says: Nov 1, 2013 2:51 PM

I do like his Illuminati wrist bands.

4. scoops1 says: Nov 1, 2013 2:51 PM

when its time, will George Costanza inducte Bobby Hebert to the Saints Ring of Honor??

5. tvguy22 says: Nov 1, 2013 2:52 PM

Steve Gleason.

6. nolanwiffle says: Nov 1, 2013 2:54 PM

This first round of inductees should have included Danny Abramowicz.

7. humptyfratz says: Nov 1, 2013 2:58 PM

If Sam Mills gets in, I think he’d be the only person so honored by two different teams.

And he’d 100% deserve it.

8. seattlecoug says: Nov 1, 2013 2:59 PM

Put Steve Gleason in there…. and soon.

9. daysend564 says: Nov 1, 2013 3:03 PM

Suggesting a special teams guy that made one play in his career be one of the first guys into the ROH just shows how thin the talent pool is from which they can pick.

10. sarcasm says: Nov 1, 2013 3:08 PM

Great honor for all 3, but it would have been a little bit nicer if the NFL schedule would have lined up a bit better.

Peyton & Eli are both on bye weeks this week, and the Saints are on the road. It would have been nice if the two boys could have been there to share this honor with their father.

11. dryzzt23 says: Nov 1, 2013 3:11 PM

Sam Mills…I’m a huge fan of his

12. sb44champs says: Nov 1, 2013 3:14 PM

daysend564 says:
    Nov 1, 2013 2:39 PM
    ======================
    Man, you really got us with that one comedian…. You know, jealousy is NOT a good trait…lol

13. sb44champs says: Nov 1, 2013 3:19 PM

@daysend is really putting a lot of effort into his replies about the Saints… Must be the beatings his team has taken by Saints/Brees… Get over it dude, Saints have a future first-ballot HOFer @ QB in Brees, lol

14. torturedraiderfan says: Nov 1, 2013 3:20 PM

nolanwiffle says:
    Nov 1, 2013 2:54 PM
    This first round of inductees should have included Danny Abramowicz.

———————————–
    I agree 100%. Saints HOF has to include #46, Danny Abramowicz.

15. 504in860 says: Nov 1, 2013 3:27 PM

Would’ve liked to see the Dome Patrol get in together, but not a bad first class at all.

16. schmitty2 says: Nov 1, 2013 3:27 PM

daysend564 says:Nov 1, 2013 3:03 PM

That “one play” was from a man who is slowly dying. That “one play” was a defining moment for not just the team but for a whole city ruined by a horrible event that showed they overcame it all. Try and not be a tool and show just a tad bit of compassion!

17. JSpicoli says: Nov 1, 2013 3:47 PM

Put fan with bag on head up there or it doesn’t count;

18. dexterismyhero says: Nov 1, 2013 3:47 PM

@sb44champs says: Nov 1, 2013 3:19 PM

==================================
    The guy throws the ball like 50 times a game. He did the same thing at Purdue. You won 1 SB, get over it. And stop with the dude thing. You must be older than 12 right?

19. JSpicoli says: Nov 1, 2013 3:48 PM

Im declaring moratoreum on the use of the word tool, especially by “Schmitty”.

20. lengai says: Nov 1, 2013 3:49 PM

All 4 Dome Patrol LBs will be on there eventually. So will Morten Anderson and several other past greats.

21. 504in860 says: Nov 1, 2013 3:56 PM

—————————————-

Well, he hasn’t thrown the ball 50 times in a game since last season. But hey, I’ll take one Super Bowl win over NONE…

22. otistaylor89 says: Nov 1, 2013 4:02 PM

I just don’t get the Archie Manning thing.
    I know he was on a bunch of terrible teams, but he was a very mediocre QB during those times.
    Do you really put someone with those stats in a Ring of Honor? Does he get in because he got the crap kick out of him?
    He had a great college career, but he was basically a poor mans Jim Hart.
    Am I wrong?

23. somethingsmellsrotten says: Nov 1, 2013 4:15 PM

Should be the Ring of Crap.

24. nfloracle says: Nov 1, 2013 4:24 PM

Definitely Mills and Finks.

Ditto for Jim Mora, Sr. who was the first to coach the Saints to real respectability.

Morten Anderson deserves a place. Geez, he was fun to watch for a lot of years.

Plenty of worthy choices from back in the day when I lived in New Orleans.

25. screamingsheep69 says: Nov 1, 2013 5:30 PM

Morten Anderson.
    How bout some Billy Joe Hobert for his airplane moves in the endzone.

26. mrlaloosh says: Nov 1, 2013 5:33 PM

No Jubilee Donbar, Joe Don Looney, Doug Atkins?

27. slick50ks says: Nov 1, 2013 6:18 PM

Archie Manning is the definition of average.

28. halbert53 says: Nov 1, 2013 8:16 PM

Archie Manning played QB for the Saints when John Mecom owned the franchise. Don’t know Mecom? Take the worst of Jerry Jones and Al Davis, and you have Mecom , always medling, always firing coaches and making roster changes. He brought in a washed up Jim Taylor from Green Bay as a running back because he went to LSU. Dick Nolan, Mike Ditka and Hank Stram, good coaches elsewhere, were among the many coaches who failed miserably while Mecom owned the team.
    Manning was an excellent QB , not on the same level as a Brady or a Montana, who had little to work with outside Danny Abramowitz who had some of the best hands of any receiver to ever play the game. The defense was awful in the Mecom years; ask Flipper Anderson, who holds the single game receiving record set against the Saints. Most years the offense was porous as a seive, which is why Manning had to roll out almost every play. The one year he had a decent line was when they brought in Conrad Dobbler from the Cardinals.
    Manning was far better than Jim Hart. Manning is to the Saints what Don Meredith was to the Cowboys, only Meredith had a better supporting cast and stable coaching.

29. 504in860 says: Nov 1, 2013 9:56 PM

Nah, Benson was owner when Ditka coached the Saints. Ahh…those 15 wins in 3 seasons. What a joke that was.

30. kappakatt47 says: Nov 2, 2013 9:21 AM

“Eric Martin should be in”

31. kappakatt47 says: Nov 2, 2013 9:29 AM

Great Idea!!!

32. esldatingdiaries says: Nov 2, 2013 5:52 PM

How about Dalton Hilliard?