Cowboys haven’t filed grievance against Ratliff, yet

Cowboys nose tackle Jay Ratliff stands in the rain in New York Reuters

So when Cowboys owner Jerry Jones uses the term “legal matter” when talking about former Cowboys defensive tackle Jay Ratliff, what is Jones referring to?

Under the labor deal between the NFL and the NFLPA, the team’s only potential legal recourse comes from the filing of a so-called non-injury grievance under Article 43.

Both the Cowboys and the NFL have advised PFT that no grievance has been filed against Ratliff, yet.  Under Article 43, Section 2, it must be filed within 50 days of the date of the thing that the grievance relates to.

Reading between the lines of the recent article from the team’s official magazine regarding Ratliff, the Cowboys possibly would argue that Ratliff pretended to be injured when he really wasn’t, ultimately forcing the team to put keep him on the Physically Unable to Perform list when he actually was healthy, and then to move on when it became apparent that he no longer intended to play for the team.  Under that theory, the potential recovery would consist of the salary and bonus allocation for the first six weeks of the 2013 regular season, and possibly the full signing bonus allocation for 2013 through the end of the contract.

The fact that the Cowboys are even considering a grievance suggests that they’ve at least got some evidence to support their apparent contention that Ratliff essentially quit on the team.  But the battle surely would be joined by Ratliff, and the ensuing fight would feature doctors espousing conflicting opinions and witnesses sharing diverging facts.

There’s a chance the Cowboys are merely huffing and puffing in the hopes of making Ratliff nervous.  Now that he has signed with a new team, it’ll be interesting to see whether the Cowboys pursue any recovery against him, as their official magazine strongly implied they would.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Dallas Cowboys, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
26 Responses to “Cowboys haven’t filed grievance against Ratliff, yet”
  1. bossbertozzi says: Nov 2, 2013 7:25 PM

Does this mean that the cowboys get their cap dollars back? They are hurting in that area.

2. thegreatgabbert says: Nov 2, 2013 7:28 PM

Chicago gets a taste of The Ratlife.

3. thestrategyexpert says: Nov 2, 2013 7:28 PM

Here we go again, another case where the truth is perhaps irrelevant. I say “perhaps” obviously being ignorant as to the facts of the matter.

Jerry got a bad ROI on his money and now he just wants to play the “my lawyers are better than your lawyers” game.

Look, it’s not personal, it’s just business, and that is the NFL way.

4. jakec4 says: Nov 2, 2013 7:33 PM

Good luck proving all of that.

5. natnic75 says: Nov 2, 2013 7:35 PM

bossbertozzi

That is getting so old. Before this season started all I heard was Cowboys don’t have enough cap space to sign their rookies. Come on Pou C. Get some new material.

thestrategyexpert

Sorry NFL great GM. Why are you giving out all your secrets free on PFT. I’m sure NFL owners are looking towards all your PFT post.

6. umakenosense says: Nov 2, 2013 7:38 PM

A player signs a contract. All of a sudden can’t perform due to injury. Gets released and all of a sudden a miracle he is healed and can play. I’m sure money had nothing to do with it. I’m sure most people would love to get paid for doing nothing.

7. thestrategyexpert says: Nov 2, 2013 7:41 PM

natnic75:

I don’t play pretend-GM for money or personal gain, I just do it for the passion and love to do it. I see issues with all 32 teams and I give them all free advice when I have some to offer. And if one team actually wanted to follow my advice while 31 others do not, then I respect them for being the ones to look at a fresh idea that is not their own as a way to improve their football team.

I respect ONLY good football and those who strive to play it and more power to anybody that can benefit from something I have to say. So any team that takes my ideas seriously and wants to exploit them for their own game is a team that I’m going to root for on the basis of principle and integrity to want to win more than the next team.

8. natnic75 says: Nov 2, 2013 7:49 PM

thestrategyexpert

Sure. Yes GM’s on all 32 teams are looking for your input on PFT.

AHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

You give free advice that no one listens. Why aren’t you in house for A team. A team means 1.

9. gosfvr says: Nov 2, 2013 7:55 PM

So what were the Cowboys medical staff doing?

10. thestrategyexpert says: Nov 2, 2013 7:56 PM

natnic75:

I doubt it. I would bet that none of the 32 teams care what I have to say. I mentioned above that there could be a theoretical day where 1 team decided to follow that advice and IF they do and can benefit from it then that’s a set of conditions that I’ll never be privy to.

I just assume whenever I post something that whatever team it is that they aren’t listening and care less. Their being aware and likely to follow my advice has no impact on my self-initiative to supply it. I have made over 50,000 football-related posts on the Internet in my lifetime, and I have 0 confirmed cases of any NFL team hearing what I have to say. So why would I think it would be different with the next post?

I post for myself and for whoever cares to hear what I have to say regardless of who that is, if anybody.

11. ncheelsboysfan says: Nov 2, 2013 7:59 PM

RAT -liff = RAT-FINK!! I hope they do a grievance or sue him and his agent! Guys played hurt since he and Jerry had a tiff, then says I cant perform (per his lawyers comments) gets released and badaboom joins the Bears! Hope they get out of him what we did for the last year!!

12. thestrategyexpert says: Nov 2, 2013 8:07 PM

natnic75:

Sorry I missed your last question due to the lack of the question mark and wasn’t sure if that was rhetorical but it is a good question.

Actually I did try to get in with the Lions and last year I bumped into Bill Ford Jr. in a suit store and I tried to proposition him on emailing him some stuff that I wanted to send over and he kind of politely blew me off as he probably gets offers like that all the time. I got called away for a few seconds and when I came back he was already gone to my shock and surprise. I swear he was like Batman in disappearing from there and I never would have walked away if I would have suspected he would have vanished all of a sudden like that because we were in the middle of a conversation. But I got close to at least having him hear me out on some ideas!

13. paulsmith107 says: Nov 2, 2013 8:15 PM

I would say it wouldn’t be hard to prove. His agent said his clients injury was far to severe for him to play anytime soon. Then he gets released and his severe injury has miraculously healed. I’m no professional but facts are if he were healthy he would be playing he claimed he wasn’t and got cut I guess it was the miracle cure. Either way keep the money you turd and Jerry just instruct mr Callahan to have his o line destroy this loser when they play da bears. Sweep the leg Johnny

14. jimnaizeeum says: Nov 2, 2013 8:25 PM

Hate the stinking cowboys

15. thefiesty1 says: Nov 2, 2013 8:30 PM

How could the CowBabies tell that Ratliff quit on the team from anybody else that were actually playing for the team?

16. backdapack4evr says: Nov 2, 2013 8:31 PM

Hope he can play QB if he plans to help the bears!!

17. kerryc21realty says: Nov 2, 2013 8:33 PM

If the REDSKINS couldn’t recover money from fat Albert then Dallas never will

18. mpo601eaglesfan says: Nov 2, 2013 8:52 PM

He just wanted to leave that franchise of losers and maybe get a playoff win without a turnover machine at qb

19. mpo601eaglesfan says: Nov 2, 2013 8:54 PM

tpoo bad jerry is the gm-should have fired himsellf years ago

20. bruno1433 says: Nov 2, 2013 9:35 PM

Cowboys play the bears. Put a bounty on him jerry

21. vbar32 says: Nov 2, 2013 9:35 PM

Do the right thing Jerry sue his butt !!!

22. bruno1433 says: Nov 2, 2013 9:40 PM

Turnover machine 18 td 3 picks

23. manofaiki says: Nov 2, 2013 9:49 PM

If Goodell doesn’t do something, if Ratliff gets away with this, every single guy on a team that wants to get out of his contract and go play somewhere else will be pulling this same stunt.

24. drgreenstreak says: Nov 2, 2013 10:59 PM

This may go well beyond a mere “grievance”. There are criminal statutes that trump any NFLPA considerations.
    If it can be proven beyond reasonable doubt, Ratliff may be facing charges of fraud and embezzlement.

Really hope so!

25. ohnoflorio says: Nov 3, 2013 7:20 AM

This is john Mara’s fault — seriously, it is

26. thetroofishere says: Nov 3, 2013 7:53 AM

All the Cowboys are waiting on is for Ratliff to play one snap. Then, it becomes the legal matter.

There’s a rumor that he refused to take a physical after the first six weeks which forced the team to cut him. For whatever reason, he must have indicated that he is still in pain, etc and the Cowboys got fed up with it. He was lying.