Earl Campbell buys Oilers sign from Astrodome

campbell Getty Images

The Astrodome had a yard sale on Saturday.  And a guy who left plenty of his own tearaway jerseys on the green cement inside the place made a fairly major acquisition.

According to FOX 26 in Houston, Hall of Fame running back Earl Campbell plunked down $3,300 for an old Oilers sign taken from the former home of the NFL franchise.

The Astrodome is at a crossroads.  On Tuesday, voters will consider a bond package that would possibly convert the building into a convention and exhibition facility.  If the measure fails, the Astrodome could be demolished.

The Astrodome became vacated in 1997 when the Oilers moved to Tennessee.  The Texans joined the NFL in 2002, and they’ve played their games at Reliant Stadium.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Houston Texans, Rumor Mill, Tennessee Titans
26 Responses to “Earl Campbell buys Oilers sign from Astrodome”
  1. SilentMajority says: Nov 2, 2013 8:42 PM

I wonder if Campbell roots for the Titans, Texans, or neither…

2. txrngr34 says: Nov 2, 2013 8:44 PM

Dome was still home to the Astros for a couple more years. When the Rodeo moved to Reliant, the Dome then went quickly downhill. I’ll be sorry to see it go, but it’s a wasteland now.

3. bobzilla1001 says: Nov 2, 2013 8:44 PM

While watching the Dolphins/Bengals game on Thursday night, I couldn’t help but notice that the Dolphins have a “fight song” that sounded similar to the Oilers’ “Luv Ya Blue” song Was I imaging things?

4. ppwl1 says: Nov 2, 2013 8:53 PM

He goes for the texans. Titans tried to put him on their ring of fame and he said hell no.

5. mrbigass says: Nov 2, 2013 8:59 PM

Green concrete is right. I forget when but one NFL team refused to play on it because it was in such poor condition….

6. Foghorn The IKonoclast says: Nov 2, 2013 9:01 PM

He was truly a great player……..

7. vegasjack1 says: Nov 2, 2013 9:08 PM

Bobzilla: nope, you weren’t hallucinating. Same song.

8. winorlose6burgh says: Nov 2, 2013 9:26 PM

Should bring that team back and put in Utah or something

9. vbar32 says: Nov 2, 2013 9:34 PM

3300 bucks !!! As great a player as he was they should have given him the sign.

10. j0esixpack says: Nov 2, 2013 9:55 PM

Some interesting trivia about the Houston Oilers.

They remain tied with the Jets in AFC East titles.

I’m not sure if that shows how good they were or how bad the Jets were, but it’s a quirky stat just the same

11. 69finfan says: Nov 2, 2013 9:58 PM

Fins song came out in 1972, Oilers in 1978. Oilers stold the song from the Fins!

12. igotgamenj says: Nov 2, 2013 10:08 PM

Earl Campbell truly one of the greatest backs of all time Luv Ya Blue !

13. corkspop says: Nov 2, 2013 10:17 PM

Glad he got it. I would have bought it for him. Thanks for the great years, Mr. Campbell.

14. i10east says: Nov 2, 2013 10:36 PM

The Fins/old Oilers song has a banjo in it, LOL

15. kev86 says: Nov 2, 2013 10:39 PM

Miss the Oilers

16. paychrisjohnson28 says: Nov 2, 2013 10:44 PM

I became a Houston Oiler fan and #34 Earl Campbell fan on November 20th, 1978 when the Tyler Rose, Earl Campbell ran for 199 yards and 4 TD’s including the 80 yard run for a TD was the game winner on Monday night football on ABC ….it was the first game I ever saw Earl play when I was a small kid… Houston Oilers, Houston Oilers, Houston Oilers #1 ! Luv Ya Blue!

17. ibleedblackandgold1979 says: Nov 2, 2013 11:00 PM

Joesixpack: correction. The oilers were never in the afc east. They were in the afl east. Once the afl and nfl merged they were in the afc central.

18. 69finfan says: Nov 2, 2013 11:03 PM

Fact!

19. phillyphinsfan says: Nov 2, 2013 11:16 PM

A great player who possessed size, speed, and power never before seen since the great Jim Brown. What separates the great players from the rest of the pack is their desire to be give their best effort every time the ball is snapped. Earl Campbell was such a player.

20. i10east says: Nov 2, 2013 11:53 PM

My bad, correction Miami’s song has the banjo, but the Oilers didn’t; Houston’s was marching band style.

21. pisano says: Nov 3, 2013 12:26 AM

Earl Campbell, “The Tyler Rose” as the saying goes, “they don’t make em like that anymore” Thanks Earl, you gave your heart and soul to the game, it was our pleasure to have been able to watch you play, truly a wonderful player. God bless you.

22. huschlej says: Nov 3, 2013 12:26 AM

I’m 47 years old. I didn’t see Brown or Sayers run. I did see Payton (as a Vikings fan I saw more than I would have likes), Dickerson, E Smith, Sanders and now Peterson. I’m not saying this to brag, just to set context.

Earl Campbell was the most dominate Running Back I have ever had the privilege to watch. Truly a great player.

23. rayguyreturns says: Nov 3, 2013 12:39 AM

Skoal brother.

24. raiderapologist says: Nov 3, 2013 12:47 AM

It’s good to know Earl has some money to spend.

25. TheWizard says: Nov 3, 2013 5:39 AM

I think the Oilers of late 70′s through the “house of pain” years were a lot of people’s 2nd favorite team.

26. dodohead418 says: Nov 3, 2013 7:47 AM

He needs to be our RB coach!