Frazier prefers that coaching complaints be kept in-house

Leslie Frazier AP

At a time when a debate has been sparked regarding when and if it’s proper for teammates to go beyond the locker room to complain about harassment, we’re reminded of situations in which external complaints shouldn’t be made.

For example, when players have complaints about substantive football issues.

On Monday, coach Leslie Frazier said he wants criticism of coaching decisions to not be shared publicly.

Such criticism came from players like defensive end Brian Robison and defensive tackle Kevin Williams after Sunday’s late loss to the Cowboys, in which the Vikings yet again blew a late lead.

“I understand the frustration,” Frazier told reporters, via Chip Scoggins of the Minneapolis Star Tribune.  “We were all frustrated at the end of that ballgame. But there are so many positive things that occurred before that two-minute drive. But we’ll definitely talk through that situation as a team and just where we are and what we have to do to move forward.”

But Robinson didn’t apologize.

“I don’t take back anything I said,” Robison said Monday.  “I’m probably going to get griped at for it.  In my honest opinion, I don’t think I said anything out of line.  I don’t think I necessarily threw anybody under the bus.  I didn’t say anything that I shouldn’t have said.  We’ve always prided ourselves on holding each other accountable.”

Here’s what he said after the game:  “There’s some things that are going on internally that are not allowing us to close out games.”  Robison also reportedly said that the coaches abandoned the plan to pressure Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo.

The pressure is now on Frazier, whose team is 1-7 two years after going 3-13.

Permalink 37 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill
37 Responses to “Frazier prefers that coaching complaints be kept in-house”
  1. grndizzle says: Nov 5, 2013 1:59 PM

It won’t be long before PFT is telling us Frazier’s house in the twin cities is up for sale.

2. logicalvoicesays says: Nov 5, 2013 1:59 PM

I’ll be dissapointed if the Redskins don’t win by at least 4 touchdowns this Thursday. #HTTR

3. lmoneyfresh says: Nov 5, 2013 2:02 PM

Maybe if Frazier and his staff stopped botching every opportunity to win a game his players wouldn’t have to resort to calling out their own coaches.

4. Foghorn The IKonoclast says: Nov 5, 2013 2:08 PM

I’d love to see Williams wife talk trash about him and I bet he wouldn’t like it.

5. Jikky Jax says: Nov 5, 2013 2:11 PM

Something tells me Brian Robison will be wearing purple a lot longer than Leslie Frazier will be…

6. dalcow4 says: Nov 5, 2013 2:11 PM

Gruden, please.

7. fwippel says: Nov 5, 2013 2:19 PM

As a Viking fan, I am looking forward to the removal of this coaching staff and GM in the near future.

There was no good reason for Alan Williams’ defense to go into the “prevent” defense on that final drive. Consider this: You have already lost Harrison Smith, Jamarca Sanford, Chris Cook and Xavier Rhodes to injury. Your only starter left in the defensive backfield is Josh “Toast” Robinson. And Alan Williams decides that instead of rushing 4 or 5 players, to only rush three and let Romo pick that depleted secondary to pieces.

That’s like driving past the last gas station when your gas tank is on empty, and expecting to drive the final 100 miles home without needing to fill up.

8. vikesfansteve says: Nov 5, 2013 2:21 PM

This season has always been a win/win. If they played well Ponder’s draft position was justified and the coordinators were good choices. If they stunk up the place the they can finally get rid of the horrible coaching staff and Ponder. Also they have been able to evaluate should they re sign Allen. For the right price yes but not 18 million per year. Now will they demote Fraizer and keep him as DC or keep him as HC? Who knows but it should be a given that Musgrave and Williams are gone along with Ponder. Who are they going to get at QB? Cutler, Rivers maybe? They are finally going to have some $ to get quality FA’s. They need 2 starting cb’s a MLB and a safety and to resign Griffin and try to sign Peppers and a new NT. On offense a right and left guard. Also a new coaching staff. Spielman is the trump card. Will they or won’t they keep him. Frazier plays by the company rules. He is the wild card.

9. thestrategyexpert says: Nov 5, 2013 2:22 PM

It’s the natural defense mechanism of any human that is operating from the place of a lack of confidence in what they are doing.

10. allday28mvpmvp says: Nov 5, 2013 2:28 PM

grndizzle says: Nov 5, 2013 1:59 PM

—–

Fraizer doesn’t live in the Twin Citites

11. getadealdonealready says: Nov 5, 2013 2:45 PM

He seems like a character guy, I just wish he was a better coach, and surrounded himself with better assistants. It’s tough to move on from a quality character guy, as I think he is a way better coach than the last couple we have had, however results speak, and the product on the field is difficult to watch right now.

12. canadianvikingfaniii says: Nov 5, 2013 2:45 PM

Will Adam Schefter report another schism in the locker room?

13. tokyosandblaster says: Nov 5, 2013 2:46 PM

I’ve realized that people that live in Minnesota aren’t true Viking fans, and that a “Viking fan” is a myth, like a Sasquatch or the lochness monster.

What they are is jealous of Wisconsin and the Packers, so they are just “anti-Wisconsin.”

Their locale dictates that they just cheer for the closest team that is in opposition to the best franchise in the NFL.

I can understand the jealousy, and I pity the motives.

Vikings “fans” just make me feel so good about my life.

14. bradleybt says: Nov 5, 2013 2:47 PM

“Frazier prefers that coaching complaints be kept in-house” translates into “I don’t have control of my team and they don’t respect me.”

Yeah, how many Vikings coaches will this be now in the last 10 years?

15. tremoluxman says: Nov 5, 2013 2:49 PM

Robison and Williams are veteran players and leaders on the team. They’ve played in Minnesota their entire careers so far and never before griped during the ups and downs. That they’ve now publicly aired their frustrations tells me two things. One, they are fed up trying to be good soldiers. Two, that they’ve tried to get the coaching staffs attention and it’s fallen on deaf ears.
    With Williams, he’s kept his mouth shut when they didn’t bring Pat Williams back for one more season. He endured the other miserable seasons in silence and toed the company line. He took a restructure and reduced playing time, too.
    With Robison, he played as a back up and watched while Ray Edwards got the starts. He worked his tail off and earned a starter’s spot. He played almost an entire season with one good arm and never complained. I think they earned the right to be publicly and rightfully POed.

16. Suck for the Duck says: Nov 5, 2013 2:55 PM

Robison and Williams should know better than to gripe to reporters about internal issues. I’m sure they have good reason to gripe, but how does making it public help the team win? Instead of pushing the blame off on someone else, take responsibility for your own performance. They weren’t rushing three on every play of that drive. Make a stop. The next time that defense steps up and does something to overcome a bad defensive coordinator will be the first time this season.

17. Suck for the Duck says: Nov 5, 2013 2:56 PM

allday28mvpmvp says:Nov 5, 2013 2:28 PM

grndizzle says: Nov 5, 2013 1:59 PM

—–

Fraizer doesn’t live in the Twin Citites
    ______

What? Maybe some guy named Fraizer doesn’t live someplace called the Twin Citites, but Leslie Frazier definitely lives in the Twin Cities metro area.

18. darkneptune73 says: Nov 5, 2013 3:00 PM

Some players are finally having the balls to stand up to the coaches and I’m finally happy guys like Robison are doing it. I don’t care what Frazier says, these players need to release their frustrations.

19. conormacleod says: Nov 5, 2013 3:10 PM

Frasier would like to keep his job. End of story. But, that isn’t going to happen.

20. whatjusthapped says: Nov 5, 2013 3:19 PM

—–

Fraizer doesn’t live in the Twin Citites

Neither does the owner, anybody see a pattern here? The stench of this this team is so strong, nobody wants to live in the same neighborhood.

21. luvmnsports2012 says: Nov 5, 2013 3:20 PM

All u RG3 believers are dumb! The guy is a soft injury prone QB. Worthless in this league today! Vikings will get there second win Thursday!

22. Paul M. says: Nov 5, 2013 3:22 PM

Les says they did some good things. 1 and 7 record. 4 and 13 as head coach against the division. Illegal challenge flag because he doesn’t know the rules. Didn’t go for two in the Packer game (can’t do the math or memory loss.) Hired his friends instead of real assistant coaches.

Your as good as your record says you are, Les.

23. fargovikesfan says: Nov 5, 2013 3:36 PM

tokyosandblaster says: Nov 5, 2013 2:46 PM

—————————————————-

why? because when our team has problems we actually call them out on them instead of blindly drinking the Kool-Aid like Packer fans?

Oh and I suppose that it isn’t Seneca Wallace’s fault that he didn’t play very well last nite? Its not fair to stick him in that situation without a week to prepare. Or maybe you’re secretly praying for a return by the greatest backup QB to ever wear a Packers jersey Matt Flynn? Because I’m sure he purposely sucked horribly in Seattle, Oakland & Buffalo just so he could get cut 45 times and come back to GB to be the savior until Rodgers returns.

24. FlashPatterson says: Nov 5, 2013 3:42 PM

haha yeah, I should think so. Frazier will be somebody’s Dbacks coach next year… maybe.

25. orangepeanut28 says: Nov 5, 2013 3:47 PM

Hash tags do not work on this website.

26. 11inthebox says: Nov 5, 2013 4:09 PM

The thing I hate most about modern athletes is that guys don’t keep stuff in house.

They’re blabbing to reporters, writing stupid crap on twitter accounts, and thinking that their every thought should be made public.

Frazier is right. All of this should be kept in house. Take it up with the coaches.

27. toes110 says: Nov 5, 2013 5:40 PM

tokyosandblaster says:
    Nov 5, 2013 2:46 PM

I can understand the jealousy, and I pity the motives.

Vikings “fans” just make me feel so good about my life.

““““““““““““““““““““““““`
    The great state of Minnesota simply has pity for the less fortunate living in that wasteland to the east… it must give you alot of security knowing that the great state of Minnesota is here to provide jobs, non-obese woman and actual dental care when needed.. While I sense your great pride in the one profitable company located in that cesspool.. Its sad that you continually try to bite the hand that feeds you… Maybe the great state of Minnesota should simply put up a toll bridge..

28. favrewillplay4ever says: Nov 5, 2013 7:43 PM

Toes, you do realize I-94 is an interstate, don’t you? It’s a federally funded road. Ohioans own just as much of it as you mud ducks.

If your state is so great, let me ask you when your last professional football championship was?

29. GenXJay says: Nov 5, 2013 8:19 PM

thus is just Thursday fodder for the media. Lets cover the ShAaron Rodgers debacle.

30. icecubeusedtobeangry says: Nov 5, 2013 8:25 PM

I see Favre that you hold your own self worth, and the value on your state based on the number of championships a bunch of guys who don’t even live in your state won while playing in your state. You’re neat…

31. toes110 says: Nov 5, 2013 8:41 PM

So…. A great states status is dependent on how many professional football championships it has?? Hmm interesting, once again proving the only thing that wasteland to the east has going for it is its football team… really sad when you think about it…..When is the last time your pathetic state won an WNBA championship…..whoooooo thats right,, two WNBA titles in a row!!!!! (I think)….

32. orangepeanut28 says: Nov 5, 2013 8:57 PM

What the heck is a “Mud Duck”?

33. toes110 says: Nov 5, 2013 8:58 PM

furthermore, when is the last time that cesspool had a hockey team, won a World Series, or had an actual self sustaining economy..

34. filthymcnasty1 says: Nov 5, 2013 9:49 PM

This team is a bunch of 1-7 gutless quitters.

It’s true.

35. orangepeanut28 says: Nov 6, 2013 10:36 AM

Give the Packers a couple of weeks without Rodgers, and we will see how their locker room looks.

36. favrewillplay4ever says: Nov 6, 2013 10:39 AM

Filthy.. A bunch of 1-7 gutless cowards that only care about how many illegitimate children they can father and not even meet once in TWO years.

37. ejmat2 says: Nov 7, 2013 3:29 PM

Who cares what Frazier prefers? I prefer him to be terminated. Does that count?