Jay Cutler on return: We’ve got to be smart

Getty Images

Bears quarterback Jay Cutler set a goal of returning for Week 10’s game against the Lions and reports over the weekend put him in position to do just that.

On Tuesday, however, Cutler pulled back on the reins a bit. He didn’t say that he would miss a second game while recovering from a torn groin muscle, but he also didn’t say that he was ready to get back in uniform.

“Can’t tell you,” Cutler said on ESPN 1000, via the Chicago Tribune. “I wish I could say I’d be out there. But the way Josh [McCown] has been playing, we feel good. … We’ve got to be smart.”

Cutler said he won’t know how far he is in his recovery until he resumes practicing, so Wednesday should be a telling day in terms of his chances of playing.

With both the Bears and Lions at 5-3, it’s clearly a big game for playoff positioning in both the conference and the division. There are seven more right behind it, though, and they might all be meaningful as well. If holding Cutler back until he’s fully recovered gives the Bears a better chance of having him in the lineup for all of them, that’s the right route for them to take.

35 responses to “Jay Cutler on return: We’ve got to be smart

1. Completely agree….we don’t need Jay coming back like Vick did….too early and then out for the year….let’s hope D and special teams can help us get this win vs the Lions….it looks like the offense can me moderately productive with McCown, he played great last night

2. allday28mvpmvp says: Nov 5, 2013 4:19 PM

Bears with no Cutler > Pack with no Rodgers

———————————————–

Maybe, just maybe you could say that if Wallace (I wish we had William Wallace instead of Seneca Wallace) just came off a bye week and had two weeks to prepare with the number one offense. As it was, the Bears barely won what should have become a blowout for them.

3. thepftpoet says: Nov 5, 2013 4:19 PM

I love how every Packers fan made fun of Jay Cutler for being injured and calling him soft, now Aaron Rodgers is…

Karma at its finest

——————————————-

Seneca Wallace (snerk)

4. Suh seems to have a strange rivalry and hate for Culter, even more than he seems to hate everyone else. Do the Bears really want to send Cutler out there with mobility issues? Think I’d hold him out one more week if I were Chicago.

5. I was kind of impressed with how into the game Cutler was last night. Every time the Bears were on offense, he was right there with Trestman and the two appeared to be discussing strategy and playcalling.

For a guy who is supposedly so aloof and disinterested, I thought that was a little eye opening.

6. Sheesh, if Stafford gets hurt, there won’t be a single NFCN team with a decent starting QB. And I’m surprised no one made a snarky comment about using the words “smart” and “Cutler” in the same sentence — Pack fans must still be in a traumatized.

7. purpleguy says: Nov 5, 2013 5:06 PM

——————
    Apparently you’ve never seen Stafford’s backup Shaun Hill. He has no problem leading the Detroit offense and racking up points. Being “purple”, I’m guessing your a Vikings guy — when your starters are healthy you don’t have a good QB.

It sounds like Cutler is playing, but trying to make it sound like he isn’t. Either way I don’t think it will impact Detroit’s game plan. Chicago’s o-line isn’t great. Detroit will want to pressure the QB into mistakes, and then dink and dunk down the field on the Bear’s defense. Sunday’s weather will be in the 40s/50s, so the cold won’t be much of an issue.

8. thepftpoet says:
    Nov 5, 2013 4:19 PM

Karma at its finest
    ———————————————————–

I’m a Packers fan and I never once made fun of any of Jay Cutler’s injuries ever.
    So now every fan has made fun of Jay Cutler getting hurt.

And it’s not karma. It’s football.

9. I’d be okay with it if McCown starts again. And when’s the last time any Bears fan ever said that about a backup QB?

10. Josh McCown is playing well enough that there’s no need to rush his injury. I’d be worried if the backup was some scrub like, y’know, Seneca Wallace, but things are under control.

Best scenario, Cutler is ready to go and is active, but McCown starts anyway. That way, Cutler gets some more rest, but is available just in case Josh gets hurt , or magically turns back into your typical 34 year old once-retired backup who never had a spectacular career in the first place.

11. 2ruefan says: Nov 5, 2013 5:43 PM

Oh my lord. “Shaun Hill”? LOL. I almost threw up I laughed so hard at that. Whew. Good one.

—-

He’s one of the best back ups in football and has had several years in the Lions system. “LOL” all you want but he’d fully capable.

12. Funny someone would mention karma & Packer fans making fun of Cutler for being hurt & Rodgers gets hurt….it’s kind of like 2011 when Stafford broke his index finger on his throwing hand & had to have a split & glove on to play……many Bears fans went nuts about that then Cutler breaks his thumb & misses the rest of the season.

I’m also waiting to read excuses if Rodgers misses Thanksgiving & it is a loss for the Pack…because I don’t recall any of them caring that Calvin Johnson missed the game a few weeks ago in Lambeau….

Bottom line….things just got real interesting in the NFC North & it’s now an 8 game race to see who survives it.

13. Suh and Fairley will smell blood if Cutler has limited mobility. They will come like savages after him, I would think about starting McCown who has been more than serviceable the last two games.

14. As a lions fan I want cutler to play for a few reasons. I don’t want any excuses, although I know some fans produce them regardless. Secondly I think right now mccown gives the bears a better shot at winning. He hasn’t been making the types of mistakes that lose games (ala cutler in Detroit) and jay cutler with a less than healthy groin will be like swimming with the sharks. Suh might be even meaner than usual.

15. coachjohnharbaugh says: Nov 5, 2013 6:42 PM

he will return just in time to get pummele by your world champions…the baltimore ravens

#SIGNEDSEALEDDELIVERED
    ==================================
    You mean like they pounded Cleveland last week?

And the Steelers the week before that?

And the Packers the week before that?

The whole NFL is quaking in their cleats.

16. Cutler would be wise to say very little at the moment. Josh played very well against the Pack, hitting the receivers on 3d down when really needed, and managing the game with almost no gunslinging or turnovers.
    Beating the Pack has big menaing in Chitown, with or without Rogers, and the less said right now the better chance he will find when he is ready to return.

17. purpleguy says: Nov 5, 2013 5:06 PM

——————

——

Do you research bro; Bears O-line has gotten better by the week. Those two rookies (Mills and Long) are making strides and the Bears finally have a top-5 O-line. Bill Polian was raving about it earlier on NFL Radio. He’s smarter than you.