Mike McCarthy: “I have all the confidence in the world in Seneca”

Chicago Bears v Green Bay Packers Getty Images

Packers coach Mike McCarthy says that with Aaron Rodgers suffering a broken collarbone on Monday night, his team can rally around backup quarterback Seneca Wallace.

“He’s played in a lot of games, been in the league a long time, I look for him to improve with a week of preparation,” McCarthy said. “I have all the confidence in the world in Seneca.”

McCarthy said he thinks Wallace should be significantly better with a week to prepare with the first-string offense than he was coming off the bench cold after Rodgers was hurt against the Bears on Monday night. And he said he believes he and the coaching staff can design a game plan that makes the most of Wallace’s talent as an athlete.

“It’s my responsibility and our coaching staff’s responsibility to make sure the game plan fits his skill set,” McCarthy said. “We’ll have a challenging week as a whole offense.”

McCarthy described Rodgers as “week to week” and said the tests conducted today gave the team reason for optimism that Rodgers will be back under center reasonably soon.

“The doctors felt much better today than they did last night,” McCarthy said.

And McCarthy will feel better when Rodgers is back, no matter how much confidence he says he has in Wallace.

Permalink 96 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
96 Responses to “Mike McCarthy: “I have all the confidence in the world in Seneca””
  1. bobbyhoying says: Nov 5, 2013 5:57 PM

It should be a competitive game with the Eagles who love road games and despise the Linc.

2. contra74 says: Nov 5, 2013 5:57 PM

Mike McCarthy: “I have all the confidence in the world in Seneca”

Wait…you didnt let him finish…Mike McCarthy: “I have all the confidence in the world in Seneca being the guy that will tank this team faster than a ‘sconnie girl going after a cheese curd”

3. thegreatgabbert says: Nov 5, 2013 5:58 PM

The doctors felt much better today than they did last night. Rodgers, on the other hand…….

4. nwfisch says: Nov 5, 2013 5:58 PM

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life Mike McCarthy.

5. thepftpoet says: Nov 5, 2013 5:59 PM

Let me translate what Mike McCarthy really means: “We’re screwed”

6. kennyadler1 says: Nov 5, 2013 6:00 PM

Translation…..”Holy crap how are we gonna get through these next 3-4 weeks…..???”

7. thepftpoet says: Nov 5, 2013 6:00 PM

At least this injury gives Aaron Rodgers more free time to help fix up his relationship with Ryan Braun

8. thegreatgabbert says: Nov 5, 2013 6:00 PM

McCarthy has all the confidence in the world in Seneca. “Heck, I was just reading an article in the Milwaukeee Journal-Sentinal a couple days ago that said we wouldn’t miss a beat without Rodgers. Although the same guy also said that we didn’t have to worry about Shea McLellin at all. ‘Can’t rush the quarterback and can’t make plays’ I think were his exact words. Hey, you can’t always be right……..”.

9. mrwalterisgod says: Nov 5, 2013 6:01 PM

This blubbering idiot would be nothing without Aaron Rodgers.

10. whitecastleisafoodgroup says: Nov 5, 2013 6:02 PM

Mike McCarthy: “I have all the confidence in the world in Seneca”

Yeah until you pick up Flynn at the airport.

11. warhawk137 says: Nov 5, 2013 6:03 PM

I didn’t realize our global stock of confidence was that low.

I’d try to do something about that, but I’d probably screw it up.

12. thepftpoet says: Nov 5, 2013 6:04 PM

Look at the positive side of this: Aaron Rodgers gets to spend more time with Ryan Braun

13. afcdomination says: Nov 5, 2013 6:04 PM

that is one tough guy. it is an incredibly painful injury if you are standing, let alone trying to throw a ball on the sidelines. hope he makes it back sooner rather than later

14. ocdn says: Nov 5, 2013 6:05 PM

As a Lions fan-speedy recovery Aaron. You’re a great QB. I hope to see you Thanksgiving Day.

15. officialgame says: Nov 5, 2013 6:05 PM

What else is he going to say? Any way you cut it the Packers are in trouble.

16. cubsfan101 says: Nov 5, 2013 6:06 PM

Hey Contra, hows it gonna feel when Seneca Wallace/Scott Tolzien (practice squad qb’s) shred the Vikings? Doesn’t get a whole lot more embarrassing than that

17. contra74 says: Nov 5, 2013 6:06 PM

I recall the packer trolls criticizing ponder for not playing in a game where his arm was severely injured. How about your boy Rodgers? Gives up on his team in a crucial NFC North match by deciding to wear street clothes on the sideline like everything is ok. Favre would have been out there.

18. larryboodry says: Nov 5, 2013 6:06 PM

“I have all the confidence in the world in Seneca.” – Mike McCarthy

Well, that explains why no one else has any.

19. xpensivewinos says: Nov 5, 2013 6:07 PM

“I have all the confidence in the world in Seneca……………….to be competent enough to hand the ball off to Lacy and Starks about 50 times this week.”

Like Paul Harvey said, “that’s the rest of the story.”

20. rikker12 says: Nov 5, 2013 6:07 PM

Cheese curds are for FIB’s..

21. vikings28 says: Nov 5, 2013 6:12 PM

Ok…if they feel better about it. WHere is the timeline? They don’t feel good about it and I heard the shoulder is swollen. I broke my collarbone and my shoulder never swelled up…who knows.

22. Suck for the Duck says: Nov 5, 2013 6:13 PM

So Rodgers has a sore neck? Get out there and play like a man!

What, do we have to spot you a quarterback now?

By the way, where is filthy?

23. f1restarter says: Nov 5, 2013 6:15 PM

I have zero confidence in Seneca Wallace. But he’s still better than anything the Vikings have.

24. thepftpoet says: Nov 5, 2013 6:16 PM

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    Rodgers is gone
    The Packers are screwed

25. glac1 says: Nov 5, 2013 6:17 PM

it’s the best news that the Green Bay Packers, Inc. could have hoped for… Snag one of the next three, be six and four and be ready for the home stretch… I think we went through this in 2010 and the end result was pretty sweet!

26. sweetnlow44 says: Nov 5, 2013 6:19 PM

As a Seahawk fan, it was nice to see that Seneca would still rather run out of bounds for a loss than throw the ball away. Whatever it takes to keep that completion % as high as possible.

27. briang123 says: Nov 5, 2013 6:21 PM

What’s he gonna say? “Everyone knows Wallace stinks and it doesn’t matter because without Rodgers, our team is garbage anyway.”

28. blackfootkiller says: Nov 5, 2013 6:27 PM

I’m sure Seneca’s clutch plays that he has made his own will really help out…
    1. Take a 15 yard sack.
    2. Run out of bounds 10 yards behind the line of scrimmage.
    He holds on to the ball way to long, and has never quite grasped the concept of throwing it away.

Good luck with that Green Bay!

29. djohnson11882 says: Nov 5, 2013 6:28 PM

contra74 | Nov 5, 2013, 5:06 PM CST
    ————————————
    Actually, genius, Favre went out in a game against Dallas with a similar injury and Rodgers had to play the rest of the way.

30. contra74 says: Nov 5, 2013 6:28 PM

cubsfan101 says:
    Nov 5, 2013 6:06 PM

I didnt even know Seneca Wallace was still in the league until he started warming up last night. Who the heck is Scott Tolzien. Those are your next men up? lol.

31. sactogary says: Nov 5, 2013 6:28 PM

I wasn’t expecting much from Wallace, but under the circumstances, I didn’t think he looked half bad. Obviously, he’s no A-Roj, but give him a week of reps with the first team, and he may be competent enough to beat the Eagles, Giants and Vikings. The biggest problem seemed to be that the O-line forgot to pass block.

32. 84smooninlambeaunevergetsold says: Nov 5, 2013 6:34 PM

And the silence you hear, is Lambeau Field.

33. mikemccarthyhof says: Nov 5, 2013 6:35 PM

In god we trust with mccarthy

34. thetooloftools says: Nov 5, 2013 6:35 PM

Seneca Wallace isn’t going to be as bad as he was Monday night. Why teams don’t let #2’s get reps with the #1’s BEYOND me. Rodgers doesn’t need the “stroke” to know he’s the #1… so why not give up some reps to the #2. This is what happens!

Wallace better get on the pole and dance because if he cannot get it done now, he never will.
    It wasn’t like it was in Cleveland and Seattle where he was the house backup with Holmgren.
    Step up or shut up Seneca.
    Time to shine or go blind. This is the best chance you will ever have to prove you are more then a back up.
    R E L A X. Your too high strung. That’s why you make bad decisions. You can learn an O, you just haven’t show to execute it.
    Now Go Get Em”.
    If not now…. when.
    Time to PROVE what you can do because if that Green Bay O is good enough for Rodgers..,, and you can’t deliver?
    You have run out of excuses.
    This is your last dance (Donna Summer).
    Take what is yours or confirm your legacy.
    The sand has run out of the hour glass.

35. jda129 says: Nov 5, 2013 6:37 PM

I think his pants are on fire.

36. trollhammer20 says: Nov 5, 2013 6:39 PM

As a ‘Hawk fan, I have two memories of Wallace.

One is catching a pass in the NFC Championship Game.

The other is being the starter the on the one day we wore those hideous neon green jerseys.

Good luck with that, Mike.

37. kwjsb says: Nov 5, 2013 6:45 PM

“I have all the confidence in the world in Seneca”
    Even though he couldn’t unseat Colt McCoy or Brandon Weeden

38. coltzfan166 says: Nov 5, 2013 6:48 PM

McCarthy: “I have all the confidence in the world in Seneca Wallace.”

Well you’re the only one in the world.

39. bullcharger says: Nov 5, 2013 6:52 PM

Seneca Wallace was absolutely horrible last night. If it wasn’t for the Chicago defense having a hard time catching the blantant interceptions he was throwing up for grabs it would have been a horror show.

I can’t see him winning any of the next 3 games. They need someone else to have a hope.

GB really need to at a minimum beat the Vikes and have Rodgers ready for @Detroit, or they are extremely likely to lose the division.

40. hansenbrothers says: Nov 5, 2013 6:53 PM

I do think he’ll be better this week. Confidence, I don’t know about all that.

41. richndc says: Nov 5, 2013 6:54 PM

pfffffffffft!!!!

42. teamnorsecore says: Nov 5, 2013 6:55 PM

What else is McCarthy suppose to say? “We are doomed” probably wouldn’t go over too well.

43. GenXJay says: Nov 5, 2013 6:56 PM

I would assume that big Mike is referring to the Wisc. popular cheap cigarette “Seneca” & not the qb.

44. emoney826 says: Nov 5, 2013 6:59 PM

Lol funny how the Viking trolls are out patrolling the packers stories looking for packer trolls. Bunch of hypocrites.

And it shows a lot of class when you praise someone being injured. It gives you that slightest bit of hope that you now have a chance in three weeks. Fact is, with or without Rodgers, the vikings can’t beat the Packers. Your team is terrible and you are showing what a pathetic fan base you are in a situation like this.

I gotta give credit to the people wishing Rodgers well. Even though he’s not on your team, it shows maturity. I would never laugh at another team’s injury, whether it be Peterson, Calvin Johnson, or Marshall.

Some of the trolls on here are just classless.

45. brenenostler says: Nov 5, 2013 7:03 PM

“I have all the confidence in the world in Seneca Wallace.”

You’re the only one, coach.

46. talonh says: Nov 5, 2013 7:07 PM

How many accounts does contra have? Slow the troll man, it gets really boring when you spew it non stop. Quality over quantity

47. thefiesty1 says: Nov 5, 2013 7:12 PM

At least VY had a winning record. BIG mistake cutting him and keeping Wallace. Hindsight….

48. cornerstone2001 says: Nov 5, 2013 7:18 PM

Sign his brother Jordan Rodgers…maybe he can absorb some Mojo.

49. filthymcnasty1 says: Nov 5, 2013 7:22 PM

My friends, the glass is half full. Were going to get him back.

And the Vikings aren’t.

50. teamnorsecore says: Nov 5, 2013 7:24 PM

emoney826 says:
    Nov 5, 2013 6:59 PM

Some of the trolls on here are just classless.
    …………..
    Stop grouping all Viking fans into the “troll” title. Thank you.

51. favrewillplay4ever says: Nov 5, 2013 7:32 PM

It’s kind of funny reviewing all the comments.

the Lions fans posting are mostly a classy bunch wanting to play the Packers with a healthy Rodgers when they have the team that gets lambasted on here all the time for supposedly having dirty players. Hat tip to you fellas.

The Vikes fans, on the other hand, know their season is over and flock to Packers stories claiming doom and gloom while cheering injuries to opposing players like they want the Packers to go down the crapper with their team. Only problem for them is even with scrubs in because of injuries, the Packers will never sink to the depths of ineptitude as the Vikes.

52. Carl Gerbschmidt says: Nov 5, 2013 7:35 PM

@contra

Shouldn’t you be researching why your Vikes couldn’t get freeman in the starting lineup fast enough when he first got to Minny, but now even though healed from his “concussion” can’t even get reps with the practice squad?

53. judsonjr says: Nov 5, 2013 7:36 PM

From what I’ve seen he really has problems with dropping back too deep and then not stepping up to avoid the edge rush.

This ain’t Tecmo bowl dude.

54. conormacleod says: Nov 5, 2013 7:37 PM

We knew he would lie. That was a given. And so was the Packer posters hitting the panic button and trying to state Vikings fans are classless. It’s easy to be classy, until your only good player breaks a collarbone!

55. conormacleod says: Nov 5, 2013 7:38 PM

Is Seneca Wallace going to play defense too?!

56. beastmode5150 says: Nov 5, 2013 7:38 PM

Bwhahahah!

57. sfsugator says: Nov 5, 2013 7:39 PM

I don’t understand why he didn’t keep vince young as the backup to begin with??? Matt Flynn is out there.

58. vegasgreek says: Nov 5, 2013 8:04 PM

Favre will be the Packers QB very soon. Sherrod is back on the team and Finley is on IR.

59. Carl Gerbschmidt says: Nov 5, 2013 8:06 PM

@contra

And Vikes are paying him $2M to not play. I know you probably make that as monthly interest on your investments ( or is that Percy?), but to most people that’s a lot of money.

60. jedimasterbates says: Nov 5, 2013 8:22 PM

Let me say what we’re all thinking. It’s time to call Bus Cook and get the old Gunslinger #4 on the next plane to Green Bay.

61. packhawk04 says: Nov 5, 2013 8:22 PM

Anyone remember when the packers season was over when rodgers got a concussion a few years ago? Flynn lost to detroit 7-3 coming in cold and the pack were done for? With a week to prepare, the pack nearly beat new england at foxborough with flynn. All of you who think the packers are screwed should understand wallace will be better with a full week to prepare as the starter. He wont set the world on fire, but he’ll do enough to win 2 of the next 3. Shoot, mccown played the game of his life last night and lacy alone almost beat chicago.

62. stellarperformance says: Nov 5, 2013 8:24 PM

McCarthy: “I have all the confidence in the world in Seneca Wallace.”

“In fact, I am as confident as a Viking fan getting a walk-on role in Fargo II……that’s how perfect it will be for him.”

63. ruvelligwebuike says: Nov 5, 2013 8:26 PM

Rodgers is only temporarily injured. Minnesotans, however, will be passive aggressive vomit staining God’s Earth for eternity.

64. 15starr says: Nov 5, 2013 8:37 PM

Lots of hate towards the Packers since Rodgers went down. Lots of jealousy.

65. ihateyoujeff says: Nov 5, 2013 8:43 PM

Vince Young can’t comprehend the Packers offense.

Matt Flynn has a problematic throwing arm injury.

Favre is forever retired.

Seneca Wallace is the starter next week and I invasion McCarthy will custom tailor the offense to him and he will have more success than he did vs Chicago.

Throwing someone out on the field unexpectedly like that… anyone would struggle. He ran base package basic plays the whole night because thats what he’s taught to do. Something Vince Young struggled with in pre season.

With a week to prepare, I think his playbook will grow substantially. He’s not going to put up Rodgers type numbers but I have a feeling he’ll move the ball better than last night.

66. rodh32340 says: Nov 5, 2013 8:43 PM

To be fair, Wallace was thrown into a gameplan that didn’t fit his skill-set. I believe we’ll see a different Packer game this week and the schedule looks good for Seneca to make a little bank with some wins while Rodgers is out. Did Favre say he was available yet?

67. trollsetter says: Nov 5, 2013 8:44 PM

I know all y’all Packer fans are frustrated and aren’t really sure what to do about your teams shattered identity, but take solace, the 2014 – 2015 season is just around the corner.

68. thebirdofprey2 says: Nov 5, 2013 8:50 PM

I remember actually being at games watching Seneca Wallace run out of bounds for 10 yard losses while everyone in the crowd is screaming for him to throw it away. It made me smile to watch him do it for another team last night.

Aaron Rogers is even better than I thought because Green Bay’s offensive line is dreadful at pass blocking. I think he quick ability to read defenses helped him continue to put up great numbers. Without him, I see the QB turned into a pinata.

69. ambitoos says: Nov 5, 2013 8:55 PM

I have all the confidence in the world in Seneca”

What else can he say?

70. contra74 says: Nov 5, 2013 8:58 PM

I love how pretty much every fan base is ripping on the packers here for the troll spawning arrogance yet the simpleminded packer fan keeps reverting to being defensive against Vikings fans. Someone could literally start their packer bashing with “bengals fan here…” And the response from a packer fan here would be “yea well at least my team color isn’t purple”. News flash, look around, every fan base is laughing at you.

71. tformation says: Nov 5, 2013 9:08 PM

While that makes one of us, yes, truly. What else can he say, but “I have all the confidence in the world in this castoff from the Saints and Browns who just kind of fell into our lap when the preseason ended. Hey, he’s better than Vince Young. Holy God, you shoulda seen how bad that guy stunk up the place. Anybody got Matt Flynn’s agent’s number handy? Why? No reason….”

72. igocommando says: Nov 5, 2013 9:10 PM

Mike McCarthy: “I have all the confidence in the world in Seneca”
    ———————-
    Wink wink, nudge nudge.

73. thatswhatimsayin says: Nov 5, 2013 9:17 PM

favrewillplay4ever says:

It’s kind of funny reviewing all the comments.

———————————————————-
    By ineptitude i’m sure you’re referring to Ted Thompson having Seneca Wallace as your only backup option. Hey you got to credit him though, he rolled the dice Rodgers would never get hurt and lost. At least he’s a man of conviction, you have to admire him for that

74. themagicfanguy says: Nov 5, 2013 9:32 PM

@contra Why would Packers care if people laugh? Lmao! Green Bay is TitleTown dude! THE premiere franchise in the NFL, of course everybody hates them.

75. filthymcnasty1 says: Nov 5, 2013 9:32 PM

Are we really supposed to feel sorry for ourselves because the Packers might finish the season with only 13 World Championships?

76. outlawshark says: Nov 5, 2013 9:33 PM

The Packers will rally behind the returns of Rodgers, Matthews, Cobb, Perry, etc. They will defeat Chicago in Week 17 to win the NFC North yet again. It’s that simple.

77. seals1 says: Nov 5, 2013 9:33 PM

Seneca – I don’t care what the refs said,,,,,,,you beat Florida State. That ball was over the line and everybody saw it. Go Clones

78. leatherface2012 says: Nov 5, 2013 9:33 PM

hey, mccarthy, what ya gonna do if seneca goes down against the eagles? start raji, or jolly ?

79. thereyougo2 says: Nov 5, 2013 9:38 PM

What week to prepare? It’s Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday and play the game. Nick Foles has another player of the week game. Well you got the Giants the following week. Lucky you Green Bay.

80. richcranium2112 says: Nov 5, 2013 9:49 PM

We should know the answer around halftime of Packers v. Eagles…

81. conormacleod says: Nov 5, 2013 9:53 PM

Why do I keep reading how with a week to prepare Matt Flynn almost beat the Patriots last time Rogers went down? First, Wallace is playing. Second, almost beat is also called losing. That’s what Packer fans are hoping for? Almost winning? Good luck with that.

82. osiris33 says: Nov 5, 2013 9:57 PM

If Mcarthy really believes this, he’s on drugs. You actually have to see Seneca Wallace play live to appreciate how awful he is.

83. jollyjoker2 says: Nov 5, 2013 10:11 PM

The only question is 8 in the box or 9!

84. ptisme says: Nov 5, 2013 10:55 PM

Bright side: Guys like James Jones heading into free agency can get a sneak peak at what next year would bring on a team not quarterbacked by “12”….

85. keakuamai says: Nov 6, 2013 1:20 AM

Really coach? What world would that be?

86. mymanmccoy says: Nov 6, 2013 7:39 AM

WOW, that’s exactly what my Browns coaches had to say when this schmuck entered the game. Your best game plan for this career 3rd stringer’s “skill set” is a hand off at best!

87. whatjusthapped says: Nov 6, 2013 7:57 AM

Despite the Viking troll comments, what McCarthy is really saying is the Wallace has had next to no snaps with the #1 offense. Remember, they signed him after pre season and the regular season practices don’t provide much time for any second string QB, much less one where Wallace didn’t even have the preseason.

He will do better for the simple reason he couldn’t do any worse. Still better than the 3 Qb’s on the team to the west.

88. lightningdj says: Nov 6, 2013 8:06 AM

Discount Daaable-Crap!

89. greymares says: Nov 6, 2013 8:15 AM

He is an N.F.L. QB, they’re all good.

90. shlort says: Nov 6, 2013 8:15 AM

To cut Wallace some slack, he had zero prep time to be put in that game. Sure, he watched some film, threw a few balls around in practice, but that is about it. This weekend will make or break Wallace’s career. He will either show people he can play the game, or he will have played his last game in the league.

I was pretty hard on Wallace after the game the other night. I thought he was garbage and should be cut immediately, if not sooner. Then I remembered a game when Rodgers was forced into relief of Favre years back. Rodgers was terrible that game, and today he is a top 5 QB year in, year out.

Either way, if Rodgers misses more than a couple games, the Packers might as well start thinking about 2014.

91. filthymcnasty1 says: Nov 6, 2013 8:28 AM

I am truly humbled by the amazing outpouring of love, respect and well wishes from my followers in every NFL city, with the exception of that certain degenerate Viking fanbase. My faith in humanity has been elevated by your selfless acts of support during this national tragedy. Thank you.

92. njpackersfan says: Nov 6, 2013 8:31 AM

Tolzien! Go Pack Go! Go Badgers! Packers will win the next 3!

93. mythaimyke says: Nov 6, 2013 9:21 AM

Seneca! Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha !!!
    He’s a J-O-K-E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

94. acmepacker says: Nov 6, 2013 9:58 AM

I don’t know much about Wallace but I do take a little comfort in the fact that if anyone can get production from a quarterback, it’s McCarthy. He does know how to coach them and has worked with some pretty good ones in his career.

95. bordner says: Nov 6, 2013 10:29 AM

contra74 says:
    Nov 5, 2013 8:58 PM

News flash, look around, every fan base is laughing at you.
    —————————————
    So this must be what it feels like to be a viking fan then? Every fan base has been laughing at your and your sorry franchise for over 50 years.

And it cracks me up to see some of the same tired Packer-hating trolls announcing that the Packers’ season is over with Rodgers being out. These are the same morons who have repeatedly labeled him a “system qb” and said that you can plug anyone into their offense and get the same results. Make up your minds – which one is it?

96. slick3 says: Nov 7, 2013 12:14 AM

Every time I see the name Seneca Wallace in my minds eye I read Serena Williams.