More tests for Rodgers, as Wisconsin waits for results

Chicago Bears v Green Bay Packers Getty Images

Aaron Rodgers is getting looked at again later today.

So the state of Wisconsin is just going to have to wait before it breathes.

Rodgers told Jason Wilde of ESPNWisconsin.com: “We’re getting some tests tomorrow,” but did not elaborate on those tests or beyond the vague description of a shoulder injury given by coach Mike McCarthy.

And as bad as last night’s loss to the Bears might have stung, the reality of life without Rodgers for any amount of time is what scares them.

“Obviously it’s horrible. It’s what everyone in the whole state fears – watching him go down,” linebacker A.J. Hawk said. “I felt terrible for him, and then obviously the longer he stayed in the locker room, the more I worried about him. I don’t know. I haven’t gotten to talk to him really about it in specifics. I hope he’s all right.”

Rodgers returned to the field in the third quarter, and kept his left hand in the front of his sweatshirt (as opposed to having his arm in a sling.

The Packers as a whole will have a much larger part of the body in a sling if he’s forced to miss any time.

Backup Seneca Wallace is the only other quarterback on the 53-man roster, though they are paying extra to keep Scott Tolzien on the practice squad

“I tried my best,” Wallace said. “I put a lot of pressure on myself to make sure there’s not a letdown from what Aaron is doing and what I’m doing. But obviously it’s tough to get put in that situation and go out there and not have a lag.

“But you want to go out there and compete; that’s what I’m about and I love to compete. I put a lot on myself and feel like I should’ve played better. I’ve been in this situation before and it definitely will get better.”

Actually, Rodgers better get better, or the improvement of Wallace won’t matter nearly as much to the Packers.

Permalink 28 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
28 Responses to “More tests for Rodgers, as Wisconsin waits for results”
  1. ad2k13 says: Nov 5, 2013 5:54 AM

Dear Packers fans,

Have fun with Seneca Wallace as your starting QB. Nice contingency plan you got there. Our turn to point and laugh now.

Sincerely,

Vikings fans

2. whitecastleisafoodgroup says: Nov 5, 2013 6:06 AM

“Obviously it’s horrible. It’s what everyone in the whole state fears – watching him go down,” linebacker A.J. Hawk said.”

Everyone in the whole state? Don’t be so dramatic. Anyways I thought Packer’s motto was always “next man up” or is that just when you win?

We were playing with our High School teacher at QB and he crushed your top-rated defense. Stop your whining.

3. asherallencanttackle says: Nov 5, 2013 6:13 AM

Maybe the Vikings will trade Ponder to you if you offer enough.

4. cuda1234 says: Nov 5, 2013 6:33 AM

Send the plane to Mississipi, its time for a triumphant Brett Favre return!

5. eigglesnosuperbowls says: Nov 5, 2013 6:37 AM

I guess its a discount double check !

6. taskforcefreddy says: Nov 5, 2013 6:41 AM

I love Ted Thompson but shame on him for not even trying to find a competent backup quarterback. You can’t convince me that Seneca Wallace with no preseason gives GB a better chance to win than Vince Young or Matt Flynn (who knows the system).

7. skcrooge says: Nov 5, 2013 6:44 AM

Flynn is available. And, so is BRETT FAVRE! BRETT FAVRE ALERT!

8. 84smooninlambeaunevergetsold says: Nov 5, 2013 6:56 AM

Well at least you guys had a good “backup” plan in the offseason.

Oh, wait…

9. Carl Gerbschmidt says: Nov 5, 2013 6:56 AM

Enjoy this day Vike fans, I guess when you never win the Super Bowl, all you have is to celebrate when players on championship teams get hurt.

10. curlypacker says: Nov 5, 2013 6:57 AM

Worse than losing Rodgers was the loss of the offensive and defensive lines. No pass rush and no pas blocking. Wallace did well while under constant pressure. The Bears didn’t win, the Packers lost.

11. badgerbuck says: Nov 5, 2013 7:01 AM

This is what Green Bay will be like once Rodgers retires.remember the 70s and 80s? Could get ugly packer fans,real ugly.

12. swadehoo says: Nov 5, 2013 7:06 AM

I hear Matt Flynn is available.

13. johnnyjagfan says: Nov 5, 2013 7:18 AM

Matt Flynn would have won that game.

14. filthymcnasty1 says: Nov 5, 2013 7:41 AM

Get well soon Aaron!

15. 5046packer says: Nov 5, 2013 7:41 AM

When Wallace came in it showed just how good Rodgers is in front of that horrible O-line!

16. exboomer says: Nov 5, 2013 7:47 AM

This is a perfect example of teams putting all their eggs in one basket. I think the Packers and Patriots are in for a very rude awakening once their star QBs are no longer able to play. They obviously didn’t learn anything from the Colts situation with Manning.

17. brokenjay says: Nov 5, 2013 8:06 AM

It’s not just Wisconsin waiting… it’s the entire nation. After all, everyone knows the Packers are really America’s team.

18. derrickbrooks4president says: Nov 5, 2013 8:54 AM

And that right there is the reason you should have made a trade for Josh Freeman!! :-)

19. 1truevikesfan says: Nov 5, 2013 9:02 AM

As a true fan of football seeing one of the premier players in the game (even though on a rival team) go down is never a good thing. Here is to a speedy recovery for Rogers. From a Vikes fan.

P.S. the NFC north division just got a bit weaker when Rogers went down.

20. milwaukeeguy says: Nov 5, 2013 9:09 AM

“Over? Did you say over? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no! It ain’t over now. Cuz’ when the going get’s tough………………the tough gets going! Who’s with me?”

21. skcrooge says: Nov 5, 2013 9:19 AM

BRETT FAVRE ALERT!
    BRETT FAVRE ALERT!

22. ketchupaholic says: Nov 5, 2013 9:26 AM

And…. You can hear it now in Wisconsin…..

“Welcome to Reality Packer Fans! Packers showed without their unbelievable fortunate QB situation they’ve had for over 20 years, they are just average at best. Packer fans are the most obnoxious, spoiled and pampered bunch ever! Heaven forbid if you criticize their team. But… oh boy can they tell your how your team sucks when they see fit. How fitting they now see it all boils down to the QB!

SUCKVILLE awaits!

23. strokinmyego says: Nov 5, 2013 10:10 AM

“I think the Packers and Patriots are in for a very rude awakening once their star QBs are no longer able to play. They obviously didn’t learn anything from the Colts situation with Manning.”

The fact that you brought up the Patriots is hilarious and proves your ignorance. When Brady went down in 2008 the Patriots had Matt Cassell and went 11-5. Now they have Ryan Mallett a third round pick in 2011 backing up Brady.

Perhaps the it was the Colts and Bill Polian who failed to learn anything from the Patriots’s situation with Brady.

In any case Wallace was bad last night but he was unprepared and the coaching staff had no time to set up a game plan that would play to Wallace’s strengths. Let’s see how he does against the Eagles this Sunday (with a full week of practice) before we say he’s not any good.

24. Carl Gerbschmidt says: Nov 5, 2013 10:17 AM

Here’s the kind of thing you hear from viking fans:

Cory Cove (KFAN DJ) – “The Revenge of the Nerds was a much better movie than Animal House.”

25. asherallencanttackle says: Nov 5, 2013 10:30 AM

Thanks Carl. We will.

26. asublimeday says: Nov 5, 2013 11:23 AM

—–

You lost, suck it up. Bears came into your house and beat you straight up in a game you had every chance to win. We had big injuries as well. Have a great week! I know I will.

27. deweyaxewound says: Nov 5, 2013 11:57 AM

curlypacker says:
    Nov 5, 2013 6:57 AM
    __________________________

Funny, I could’ve swore the Bears engineered a dominant, 9 minute, clock-killing, game winning drive in the 4th quarter. That sure seems like “winning” to me.

The back-to-back sacks to lock the game up at the end also felt pretty win-like.

Final score? Felt pretty winnish to me.

Strangest of all, the Bears seem to have added a “win” to their overall record, while the Pack also added a lost. Maybe BOTH things happened?

One thing is for sure – a willful denial of reality, arrogance, delusion – seems to be part of the very problem that led to the Packers loss (or, win by the Bears).

28. teamnorsecore says: Nov 5, 2013 3:34 PM

Carl Gerbschmidt says:
    Nov 5, 2013 10:17 AM
    Here’s the kind of thing you hear from viking fans:

…………
    Hate to see a star player get injured……even though he plays for a rival team. Hope Rodgers is back out there soon and Carl, if you think Cove is a Vikings FAN, you don’t listen to KFAN enough! Dude HATES on the team 24/7!