Aldon Smith: I’m just taking it one day at a time

Aldon Smith AP

The 49ers welcomed linebacker Aldon Smith back this week after a stay in substance abuse treatment triggered by a September arrest for driving under the influence, a return that was preceded by conversations with league officials that included Smith promising that he would make sure that the off-field issues that led him to rehab would never happen again.

Smith said he missed the team but thought it was good for him to get away and focus on the problems that led to a car accident that could have turned out much worse for Smith or others. Several teammates said they thought Smith looked like he was in good shape and ready to pick up where he left off on the field, leading to questions about whether Smith would be in the lineup for this week’s game against the Panthers.

Smith admitted to thinking about it as well, but said that there’s been no decision on that front yet.

“You know, it’s crossing my mind,” Smith said, via Cam Inman of the Bay Area News Group. “I’m just taking it one day at a time, getting back here, being around the guys and just getting my life back at home. I’ve got a 10-month-old son, so I’m doing the father thing. I’m just trying to make sure I’m all ready to go.”

Smith still faces arraignments later this month on the DUI charge and separate felony gun charges, so the off-field issues aren’t just going to disappear into thin air. But the Niners brought him back to the team so that he could help the defense so it seems a good bet that he’ll be on the field on Sundays sooner rather than later.

Permalink 42 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, Top Stories
42 Responses to “Aldon Smith: I’m just taking it one day at a time”
  1. chawk12thman says: Nov 6, 2013 8:24 AM

Glad he looks to be back…..NFC West got better……Looking forward to seeing the SEA Vs. SF game later this season.

2. tfaulk says: Nov 6, 2013 8:24 AM

Here’s a safe bet: Aldon Smith is still an alcoholic after 2 months of rehab.

3. doctorrustbelt says: Nov 6, 2013 8:29 AM

“I’ve got a 10-month-old son, so I’m doing the father thing” – aldon smith

So….. how old was his 10 month old child when he was out doing drugs and drinking?!?

aldon smith + drugs + alcohol = “father thing”

4. Foghorn The IKonoclast says: Nov 6, 2013 8:38 AM

Best wishes to him. I mean it is good to change for the better.

5. pksullivanmha says: Nov 6, 2013 8:50 AM

I hope he hangs in there and protects his recovery. @footballady52🏈

6. pksullivanmha says: Nov 6, 2013 8:53 AM

Hope he protects his recovery. @footballady52🏈

7. micklethepickle says: Nov 6, 2013 9:11 AM

Uh… can someone explain why he hasn’t been suspended by the NFL? Gun charges, DUI’s; how is it possible the NFL is okay with a couple of weeks at a luxury ‘rehab’ facility?

I am asking honestly, not trying to be sarcastic. Anyone able to help me out?

8. lionsplayoffs says: Nov 6, 2013 9:21 AM

I think they counted his rehab as a self-imposed suspension.

9. kaeptovernon says: Nov 6, 2013 9:32 AM

doctorrustbelt says:
    Nov 6, 2013 8:29 AM
    “I’ve got a 10-month-old son, so I’m doing the father thing” – aldon smith

aldon smith + drugs + alcohol = “father thing”

I think maybe thats why he went to rehab…. because he had a problem! Righteousness is a bad look. Hopefully Aldon gets his life straight and most importantly is there for his son. Secondarily as a niner fan, I also hope he gets back to wreaking havoc on opposing QB’s.

10. jiveturkeygobbler says: Nov 6, 2013 9:40 AM

I am asking honestly, not trying to be sarcastic. Anyone able to help me out?

Well, he basically suspended himself. Not only did he suspend himself, he went to seek help at a “rehab” facility while he was out. It is similar to a college program placing sanctions upon itself. When they do that, the punishment is always less from the NCAA. As far as gun charges, he has only been charged, not convicted.
    To me, I think the rehab was more of a lifestyle rehabilitation than a dependency issue. I’m probably wrong, but whatever the case may be, good for Aldon. Life trumps football.

11. conceptsbykjr says: Nov 6, 2013 9:40 AM

Any suspension he gets will likely be light (or nonexistent) because if it’s lengthy, it will discourage players from seeking treatment for their issues. Why try to better yourself if the league is just going to suspend you for the same amount anyways?

12. adderal says: Nov 6, 2013 9:45 AM

micklethepickle- The NFL generally waits for the courts to pass judgment before they act. He could still be looking at suspensions, might not be tell next year though. I hope this was enough to help him make some changes. How much damage people do to them selves before seeing the light is different for each person, hopefully this was as far down as he needed to go.

13. 2difshoe says: Nov 6, 2013 9:55 AM

The new ‘ Get out of jail free card’ break the law, drugs, gun violence, beat your wife, girlfriend etc, and just enter rehab. Yeah, yeah, that’s the ticket !

How long until the NFL figures this out.SMH

14. goodellsironfist says: Nov 6, 2013 9:58 AM

“I’m just taking it one day at a time.”

That’s how we all take it Aldon. Unless of course you are a time traveler, in which case, that’s awesome.

15. serkeljerks says: Nov 6, 2013 10:06 AM

pksullivanmha says:
    Nov 6, 2013 8:53 AM
    Hope he protects his recovery

++++++++++++++++++++++

Well said. Couldn’t agree more.

16. serkeljerks says: Nov 6, 2013 10:07 AM

chawk12thman says:
    Nov 6, 2013 8:24 AM

——————————————-

It’ll certainly be a clash of Titans for sure :)

17. 49ersdiehard says: Nov 6, 2013 10:08 AM

I’m glad Smith is back and seems to be on the right track. As much as I want the 49ers’ defense to be better, Smith should have to earn his way back on the field. I don’t think he should be handed back his starting gig – The 49ers have done well in his absence – a clear cut message should be sent to all the 49ers staff and players, alike, that this type of behavior is unacceptable. I hope the kid does well, stays a good role model for his child, stays away from the bottle, the party crowd and continu

18. 49ersdiehard says: Nov 6, 2013 10:11 AM

es to develop as a football player and person, alike.

Go Niners – I look forward to the surging Panthers this week and another W; think it’ll be a close contest.

19. gosfvr says: Nov 6, 2013 10:14 AM

tfaulk says:
    Nov 6, 2013 8:24 AM
    Here’s a safe bet: Aldon Smith is still an alcoholic after 2 months of rehab.
    —————————————–

That is great, positive thinking. Not!
    Anyone that wishes ill on others is just ……….. not right……

20. steelerfanjo says: Nov 6, 2013 10:15 AM

How is this dirtbag allowed to play in the NFL? Roger Goodell is the worst excuse for a commissioner in the world.

21. twoticketstoparadise20 says: Nov 6, 2013 10:16 AM

Dwayne F. Schneider also takes it one day at a time.

22. assuredmutualdestruction says: Nov 6, 2013 10:16 AM

Get him back in shape frisco. You need to be at full strength when Seattle molly wops you one more time. Can’t wait to hear the excuses when you lose.

23. kaeprulestheworld says: Nov 6, 2013 10:18 AM

I hope he can keep his sobriety.

24. 49ersdiehard says: Nov 6, 2013 10:34 AM

@assuredmutualdestruction LOL – last two games hawks played (vs. rookie and back up QB’s). they struggled; next game won’t even be close to week 2 matchup – Your team’s dealing with injuries. My team’s getting healthy.

No way your squad will come back from a 20 point deficit against the 49ers!… Look forward to our second matchup!

25. tfaulk says: Nov 6, 2013 10:38 AM

“Anyone that wishes ill on others is just ……….. not right……”

In what way can my comment be construed as wishing ill on him? I’m merely pointing out the obvious.

There are several fans saying, “It appears he’s on the right track.” I see absolutely no evidence of that. He went to rehab for a few weeks and is back to work with essentially zero consequences and repercussions. Just about every alcoholic and/or drug abuser has done the same thing at one time or another. By no means should that be construed as he’s actually doing the right things to improve himself and his situation.

He is still the guy who was drinking and doing drugs all night to the point where he wasn’t aware that he was in a car accident with a loaded gun by his side. He has a long way to go before I’d have any faith in him or in his rehabilitation.

26. dirtyjersey9er says: Nov 6, 2013 10:46 AM

@steelerfanjo

Do you REALLY want to throw those stones in your glass house?

27. jiveturkeygobbler says: Nov 6, 2013 10:47 AM

Get him back in shape frisco. You need to be at full strength when Seattle molly wops you one more time. Can’t wait to hear the excuses when you lose…..

Typical little sister syndrome. Just prepare yourself for an early playoff exit. Some running back I never heard, from an 0-8 team, of just ripped you for 140 yards. Seattle is a fraud and the other shoe is about to drop.

28. bubba9er says: Nov 6, 2013 11:12 AM

I hope Aldon’s kid grows up with his dad in his life and the Aldon keeps taking steps to become the kind of dad you would want raising a young boy. Keep stringing together good decisions, and you should be ok in the end.

29. brtdud7 says: Nov 6, 2013 11:30 AM

San Francisco 49ers trophy case: 5 Lombardis

Seattle Seahawks trophy case: 42-13 and 29-3.

30. radrntn says: Nov 6, 2013 11:55 AM

tfaulk says:
    Nov 6, 2013 8:24 AM
    Here’s a safe bet: Aldon Smith is still an alcoholic after 2 months of rehab
    – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – — –

You are showing your ignorance there my friend. I am still an alcoholic, and have been clean and sober for 27 years, and still taking it one day at a time. I am a grateful recovering alcoholic, but still an alcoholic nonetheless

“We are like men who have lost their legs; they never grow new ones. “

31. daveitsgood says: Nov 6, 2013 12:02 PM

radrntn says:
    Nov 6, 2013 11:55 AM
    tfaulk says:
    Nov 6, 2013 8:24 AM
    Here’s a safe bet: Aldon Smith is still an alcoholic after 2 months of rehab
    – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – — –

“We are like men who have lost their legs; they never grow new ones. “

————————————————-
    What Radrntn said.

32. tfaulk says: Nov 6, 2013 12:06 PM

radrntn, same. What’s your point? What am I ignorant of? What assumptions are you drawing from my statement that I may or may not actually agree with or intend?

33. killitandeatit says: Nov 6, 2013 12:09 PM

Dear Aldon :
    You will be made an example of.
    Example #1 :” Aldon Smith had it all but he couldn’t put the bottle down. The last we heard he was working in a local fast food restaurant.”

Example #2 : Aldon Smith has turned his life around. He just signed the highest contract for a pass rusher in NFL history. He is on track to beat the all time sack record and is a lock for the NFL Hall of Fame.

Aldon,are you listening…. ??

34. jayniner says: Nov 6, 2013 12:47 PM

It’ll be nice to see the pass rush back in the defense. Jake Locker had NO business doing that to our defense in the second half!

35. gosfvr says: Nov 6, 2013 1:10 PM

tfaulk says:
    Nov 6, 2013 10:38 AM

————————————–

I do not want to indulge in wordsmithery, but you made a flat statement which was open to any interpretation, it leaned towards the usual snide and petty remarks that abound the internet these days and I reacted to that. It is not just your post, but there are several that folks just revel in the misery of others.
    Poor reflection on all of us as a society – and no – it is not all in good fun or whatever excuse people come up with for being sarcastic behind their keyboards.

36. chiadam says: Nov 6, 2013 1:10 PM

Super.

When does he go to rehab for randomly firing his piece into the air like Pecos Bill?

37. richndc says: Nov 6, 2013 1:11 PM

yeah, he is taking it all right. Taking it up the back door every day while in rehab. I heard the fellers were lining up around the block to hit that!!!!

38. serkeljerks says: Nov 6, 2013 1:35 PM

steelerfanjo says:
    Nov 6, 2013 10:15 AM

_____________________

For the same reason a sexual predator like Roethlesberger stays in.

39. alongmylines says: Nov 6, 2013 2:39 PM

Even as a Niners fan, I hope he means even half of what he says. I certainly wish him all the best he could ask for, but the fact is that he was an addict for who knows how long, and I highly doubt this whole lifestyle just goes away.
    However, I believe that with all the support he is getting from in-or outside of the team, he can do it and I wish he does.
    Now, when the rest of the season comes together as Niner fans have reason to hope for, I also believe this success will bring him much closer to earning his role back and completing his change of lifestyle.
    And to whoever said the Seahawks’ trophy case consists of the two wins against the Niners – you might be right, but at least this is an achievement of the current, and not the former team. It’s time to acknowledge the facts and show some respect until the guys can redeem themselves, on December 8.
    Niners.

40. macneil4025 says: Nov 6, 2013 3:10 PM

Lets hope Aldon Smith doesn’t follow the same playbook as Koren Robinson!

41. swaggyy says: Nov 6, 2013 3:12 PM

He will be arrested within the next year. ABOVE REPROACH!

42. swaggyy says: Nov 6, 2013 3:15 PM

I just don’t understand when Niner fans compare their trophies to the Seahawk beat downs? We don’t bring that up. You guys are the ones always living the past and we have to bring up the present. So how are those trophies currently helping you? Theyre not. However, that 29-3 win has us 8-1 and in first place and you in second place. #relevant.