Brandon Meriweather: I aimed a little lower

Brandon Meriweather, Ryan Mathews AP

Safety Brandon Meriweather returned to the Redskins defense last weekend with a whimper rather than a bang.

Meriweather didn’t draw any penalty flags for drilling opposing players in the head and/or neck with his own helmet, a longstanding habit of his that resulted in a one-game suspension earlier this season. He also didn’t go after the knees of his opponents, something he said he’d do in order to end careers of others rather than earn another suspension for himself.

Meriweather explained on Tuesday how he was able, for one game at least, to play Goldilocks and hit just right.

“I think I played the same,” Meriweather said, via the Washington Post. “I still was aggressive. I aimed a little lower. I celebrated with my team. We got the win…To be honest, I didn’t even think about it. I just went and just let what happens happen. I’m not trying to think about it and say, ‘I’m gonna aim lower. I’m gonna aim higher. I’m gonna do whatever.’ I’m gonna just play and whatever happens happens.”

We’ll see if Meriweather can continue to avoid the temptation of the hits that got him in trouble with the league, but last Sunday’s game certainly provided Meriweather with evidence that one can play a game of football without going out of one’s way to hurt opposing players in the head or knees.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
14 Responses to “Brandon Meriweather: I aimed a little lower”
  1. phlorioisaphag says: Nov 6, 2013 7:23 AM

Hail to the REDSKINS!!!

#NEVER

2. hakunamangata says: Nov 6, 2013 7:25 AM

So you played within the rules? Well then everyone who said you were a dirty player was completely wrong about you Brandon. You showed them that it was a choice to play like a sociopath before.

3. ccjcsr says: Nov 6, 2013 7:54 AM

Pockets were getting light so he adjusted, all talk from this Redskins Wannabe.

#Notrelevant

4. skinsfantom says: Nov 6, 2013 7:57 AM

REDSKINS 31 vikings 17

5. twilson962 says: Nov 6, 2013 8:06 AM

Brandon, Brandon, Brandon…. Sheesh….

He’s got to understand the NFL League Offices, and Refs are going to scrutinize every play & statement he makes. If it’s close the refs are going to throw a flag, and he will get fined…if not suspended again. I agree with the point he made last week that he needs to aim extra low, b/c a receiver can duck at the last second, changing a legal hit with the shoulder to a 15 yard personal foul and fine, w/ a possible suspension. I think the League is creating a set of rules which will cause defenders to aim low, and result in more knee injuries for receivers. HOWEVER, he never should have come out & said that he’ll have to aim at knees.

By doing that he invited the League to further scrutinize the hits he’ll make. I wouldn’t be surprised if the NFL changes the rules in the offseason, but not to the advantage of defenders. I think the League will look seriously into adding low hits to the defenseless receiver rule…

6. footballfan12345 says: Nov 6, 2013 8:45 AM

And I posted on it.. …….. Need to take meds

7. phlorioisaphag says: Nov 6, 2013 8:56 AM

@twilson962…stop whining : (

8. rhamrhoddy says: Nov 6, 2013 9:33 AM

“I still was aggressive. I aimed a little lower.”

“I’m not trying to think about it and say, ‘I’m gonna aim lower”
    ______________

All part of the same answer. Pure genius!

9. nealc53 says: Nov 6, 2013 9:34 AM

REDSKINS 38 – viking 13

10. 5ohhh says: Nov 6, 2013 9:35 AM

People forget this guy is essentially still playing like its 2009. He’s been injured so often the last 3-4 years that he has yet to play a full season with all of the different helmet to helmet and defenseless receiver rules that are now in place. He’ll continue to learn whats right and whats wrong.

He was a two time pro bowler before, playing the same way he does now, guys like Bob Sanders, Polamalu, Roy Williams and Sean Taylor also made their names by blowing up guys who crossed the middle. Those players are now extinct and Brandon must force himself to play the role of a “cover safety” rather than an enforcer. Give it time….and keep him away from a microphone until then.

11. dkalev says: Nov 6, 2013 10:21 AM

Is a safety even a safety anymore? They’re just cornerbacks now… Safeties used to be needed to drill guys to think twice about jumping for that ball, or drop it if they were stupid enough to do so… This ain’t football no more ladies and gents, arena football has harder hits than this bs

12. richcranium2112 says: Nov 6, 2013 10:46 AM

One game does not a trend make!

Look at me, I was a good boy. Once.

13. thebirdofprey2 says: Nov 6, 2013 11:45 AM

dkalev says: Nov 6, 2013 10:21 AM

—————————————-

I am all for hard hits and safeties & lbs setting the tone in the backfield. I hate it when a hard clean hit gets flagged and that has happened in the last two years. But Brandon Merriweather was spearing guys with the top of helmet directly into theirs. He knocked himself out on one of those plays.

I big to differ because that is not good football. You can intimidate and wrap up like Dick Butkus and still be physical. Kam Chancellor dislodged the ball/ layed out Vernon Davis in maybe one of the hardest hits ever last year and he wasn’t fined. Merriweather has been playing dirty for a long time, and its needed to change.

14. heyguru1969 says: Nov 6, 2013 1:26 PM

And we didn’t think you could get any lower, Brandon.