Fred Davis: People twisted my admission to sleeping in meetings

Fred Davis AP

Washington tight end Fred Davis admitted last week that he falls asleep in meetings, and he’s not happy about how that admission was portrayed.

Asked about it on 106.7 The Fan, Davis said he thought the media made it sound like he was sleeping for entire team meetings, when he really just meant he snoozes a little bit during meetings.

“See, people take things and twist what I said,” David said, via Dan Steinberg of the Washington Post. “What I said was, you doze off sometimes in meetings. Sometimes you could be a little tired from the morning. A lot of people do it. You doze off. I’m not saying you sleep through a whole meeting. What you do is, you doze off a little bit, you stand up, make sure you’re good, go get a drink of water or something. You know what I mean? Just make sure you stay up. I’m not saying I just sit there and just sleep through a meeting. Some people take things – oh, you sleep through meetings. No.”

Davis said that after his previous admission, the coaches told him he shouldn’t say such things publicly. But he still felt the need to say on the radio that he doesn’t sleep all the way through a meeting.

“They didn’t know why I commented on it. Should have just left it alone,” Davis said of Washington’s coaches. “But I was like, but I was just being honest, I’m not gonna sit here and lie. I’ve dozed off before. Never slept through a meeting.”

So give Davis credit for his honesty about dozing off in meetings. If Davis wants to get in his coaches’ good graces, perhaps he should strive to reach the point where he can say honestly that he doesn’t doze off in meetings.

Permalink 28 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
28 Responses to “Fred Davis: People twisted my admission to sleeping in meetings”
  1. thestrategyexpert says: Nov 6, 2013 7:07 PM

Reminds me of those times that fighters get knocked out and then say why did you stop the fight I was doing great! You know cause when you doze off and wake up from it that’s always only just but 1 second and not a plural number of seconds that could possibly constitute a legit “sleep session” as according to the National Association of Sleep Terminology Experts. 6 seconds minimum or it don’t count. I just did quick dozes.

2. jwil444 says: Nov 6, 2013 7:09 PM

“I wasn’t sleeping, I was just resting my eyes.”

3. skinsfan91 says: Nov 6, 2013 7:09 PM

Wow, no wonder the coaching is staff is PROVING to this guy, we don’t need ya bud. We have a rookie who’s playing better than you ever did. We have Logan Paulsen who plays his role and also Niles Paul who will get better. See ya Fred!

4. nfl4days says: Nov 6, 2013 7:10 PM

Have fun watching Jordan Reed take your job bum. Hes got talent AND he works hard.

5. footballfan01 says: Nov 6, 2013 7:13 PM

He was probably just using his playbook as a pillow and trying to absorb knowledge through osmosis. I used that technique in college myself.

6. RavenzGunnerz says: Nov 6, 2013 7:14 PM

Only 16 weeks buddy! and you have the rest of the year to sleep your way…

For a few millions dollars.

7. steelersaregodsteam says: Nov 6, 2013 7:14 PM

LOL

8. toonloonboon says: Nov 6, 2013 7:16 PM

“I was inspecting the inside of my eyelids”

9. commonsensedude says: Nov 6, 2013 7:19 PM

Fred is his own worst enemy. Is he trying to lower his own market value?

10. ravanator says: Nov 6, 2013 7:20 PM

The entire R-Words team uses this excuse each week. “It wasn’t my fault we got destroyed on Sunday, I was sleeping during the game”. It’s also funny your savior QB Griffin will only be remembered in history for being the only NFL QB to sext with a Hooters girl.

#ravensrepeat
    #joemontanaflacco

11. doctorrustbelt says: Nov 6, 2013 7:20 PM

If I was staying out all night and hanging with prostitutes…. I would be tired at work, too.

SEE: fred davis/Makini Chaka

12. surfinbird1 says: Nov 6, 2013 7:24 PM

I was just checkin my eyelids for cracks.

13. ditkasgumspitinyourface says: Nov 6, 2013 7:25 PM

He meant to say “I was only sleeping through the beginning, middle and ends of the meetings”.

14. possumsauce says: Nov 6, 2013 7:29 PM

C’mon, Fred, didn’t you read Calvin & Hobbes as a kid? All you have to do is cut a ping pong ball in half, draw a little black dot on each end, put them over your eyes and doze away.

15. qdeathstar says: Nov 6, 2013 7:31 PM

As a skins fan, indeed to the last sentence. Thats probably why he is getting phased out.

16. jimnaizeeum says: Nov 6, 2013 7:32 PM

Sunglasses moron, sunglasses

17. footballfan12345 says: Nov 6, 2013 7:34 PM

Fred, dude, please come back and light it up. Do whatever it takes to get on the field – kiss ugly babies if you have to. We need another reliable receiver. Hankermoss and robersogan aren’t cutting it.. Fred we got young leading for Morris. Helu on third downs. Garçon and reed at any time. We need one more. I agree the quarterback wasn’t the savior and his name ain’t ever gonna be Brady or manning. But he gets it done and he can get away from pressure. Dude you have, in the past, dominated good defenses with gross man throwing and the best receiver was moss. Come back Fred.. And if anyone knows Fred pass this along thank you

18. miamizombie says: Nov 6, 2013 7:35 PM

I think I just got stupider by reading that.

19. kremis says: Nov 6, 2013 7:36 PM

That’s nothing…the Steelers have been sleeping during their games! Haha

20. harrisonhits2 says: Nov 6, 2013 7:53 PM

Maybe it was the snoring that gave him away…..

21. thegonz13 says: Nov 6, 2013 7:55 PM

You snooze, you lose!

22. bigjd says: Nov 6, 2013 8:26 PM

Hasn’t he been dozing off in meetings for years though? This isn’t a new problem.

23. toonloonboon says: Nov 6, 2013 11:21 PM

he wasnt sleeping. he heard so much about rigomortis , he wanted to give it a try.

24. trollingforjustice says: Nov 7, 2013 1:42 AM

he must be asleep in the meetings when Shannahan asks him would he like to play this week…because he has been listed as inactive for the last three weeks

25. nickbrezzy says: Nov 7, 2013 1:56 AM

I still like Fred David I think he can play and I loves the way he speaks his mind like a man and means ever then he say I just wish it came out smarter lol I think he should go det or KC next year

26. defscottyb says: Nov 7, 2013 3:03 AM

C’mon Fred… somethings are better left alone and kept to yourself. I thought you gave up the weed. Get it together man, your a talented player.

27. raiderufan says: Nov 7, 2013 7:14 AM

I still don’t understand how the Raiders couldn’t see value in giving up a conditional 7th for this guy and seeing what getting him back to Cali would do for him.

TP needs a security blanket TE like no tomorrow.

28. thefootballgodssay says: Nov 7, 2013 7:30 AM