Surprise: Nick Foles wins NFC offensive player of week

Philadelphia Eagles v Oakland Raiders Getty Images

For the second week in a row, there wasn’t much mystery about the NFC’s offensive player of the week award.

Last week, Calvin Johnson made it a formality with his bajillion-yard game (actually just 329) against the Cowboys, and this week Nick Foles made it a laugher.

The Eagles quarterback threw seven touchdowns (in the first three quarters) and finished with the perfect 158.3 passer rating in last week’s win over the Raiders. It’s the second time he’s won the award this year, replicating his first start against the Buccaneers, in which he threw for a mere three touchdowns and 296 yards.

The seven touchdowns against the Raiders tied a league record, and added a layer of intrigue to their search for a franchise quarterback. For a week anyway, he looked like he might be it.

Permalink 25 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill
25 Responses to “Surprise: Nick Foles wins NFC offensive player of week”
  1. junkfooddaddy says: Nov 6, 2013 10:12 AM

Didn’t he win that 3 weeks ago too. It means nothing, everyone knows he stinks.

2. doomsdaydefensetx says: Nov 6, 2013 10:15 AM

Matt Flynn 2.0

3. eaglesfanalways says: Nov 6, 2013 10:15 AM

I don’t think we here in Philly are ready to anoint Nick our ‘franchise QB’, but we certainly want the organization to give him a chance to prove whether he is or not.

4. illwillthemick says: Nov 6, 2013 10:16 AM

he will be better then peyton manning when its all said and done, u watch!!

5. joetoronto says: Nov 6, 2013 10:19 AM

junkfooddaddy says:
    Nov 6, 2013 10:12 AM
    Didn’t he win that 3 weeks ago too. It means nothing, everyone knows he stinks.
    ***************************************************
    You really should listen to yourself once in a while.

6. ccjcsr says: Nov 6, 2013 10:20 AM

Mike Vick wants a recount

#emptytrophycase

7. assuredmutualdestruction says: Nov 6, 2013 10:20 AM

Foles>RGMe

8. bleedeaglegreen says: Nov 6, 2013 10:20 AM

@junkfooddaddy

Vick stinks, get over it!!!

Hopefully this is the first of many for Nick. Go get ‘em!!

9. jianningwu says: Nov 6, 2013 10:22 AM

> Didn’t he win that 3 weeks ago too. It means nothing, everyone knows he stinks.

It means he has the best performance this week. That is all. You’re the one attaching too much value to the title.

You have a better candidate for week 9 of the 2013 NFL season?

( His “stinky” jersey will be in Canton thanks to this week’s if you want to stop by for a smell, btw )

10. kastout11 says: Nov 6, 2013 10:31 AM

Take that Foles haters in Philly. I am sick and tired of all the garbage that Foles does not fit Chip Kelley’s system. I am not sure but I think a 13-0 td to int ratio is pretty damn good. How exactly does he not fit into Chip Kelley’s system. I think that Kelley is a smart enough coach that he has and will continue to tailor his offense to Nick Foles strengths. I don’t think that it is a slam dunk that Kelley is looking for a running qb. I think he is more impressed by an accurate qb that does not turn the ball over. I am not guaranteeing the Foles is the franchise qb in Philly, but I am really tired of the Foles haters/Vick supporters. Unless Foles gets hurt, Vick will never take another snap for Philly.

11. questionableprovenance says: Nov 6, 2013 10:34 AM

Shame the NFL closed the competition a day early, or he would probably have been the offensive player of the month also.

12. spikehumer says: Nov 6, 2013 10:42 AM

Being great against bad teams means you could be a good quarterback.

Being damn good against great teams means you should become a solid quarterback.

Being consistently good against great teams means you might become a franchise quarterback.

Time and schedules will decide where he’s at and where he goes. No one’s putting him in the HOF or should be putting him at the end of the bench. The dude’s got to get a chance to play some games. How about giving the guy a more than a few starts before deciding one way or another???

13. zam0854 says: Nov 6, 2013 10:48 AM

Redskins better take advantage of this 10 day lay-off.

#PhillyWeek11

14. richardmswartz says: Nov 6, 2013 10:53 AM

kastout11 says:
    Nov 6, 2013 10:31 AM

_______________________________

It’s not that. I really like Foles. Being a sound decision maker and being accurate is most important. Being able to run when running the zone read is imporant too though. The thing with Foles, like you said, is that we don’t know if he’s good enough, if he’s going to be consistent. The problem is too that it’s almost as if a decision needs to be made on him right now. Bridgewater and Mariota are coming up and if the Eagles loose every game for the rest of the season, they are going to have a hard enough time trading for one of them as it is. But they are probably going to win at least two more games with Foles – which will make trading for one of those guys basically impossible. I liked Foles from that first bomb he threw in the preseason last year, I believe it’s not right to evaluate anything based on last year given what he had to work with, and I believe the groin injury screwed up his mechanics causing such a horrible game in Dallas, and besides all of that he has done unbelievably great. But somehow I’m actually less confident in him than I was and I think that is because Kelly’s offense while it can still be great really needs a mobile quarterback to be all it can be.

I think Eagles fans need to hope that Foles plays lights out so that maybe we can trade into one of the top two draft spots with Foles and two firsts -and then hope Bridgewater or Mariota can do everything Foles can do and run too.

15. Suck for the Duck says: Nov 6, 2013 10:58 AM

I did not see that coming.

16. bobbyhoying says: Nov 6, 2013 11:19 AM

How many mobile QB’s have won the last ten Superbowls? How many mobile QB’s get injured and don’t last 16 games? Chip should play Nick and see what he has. Since last year I’ve viewed him as Eli Manning 2.0.

17. corkspop says: Nov 6, 2013 11:25 AM

I am not a Philly fan, but, I will say that you are lucky to have Foles. I saw flashes of a real QB in his very earliest games. I thought if he was coachable and a hard worker…. he’d be a good one. And, I was kind of hoping that he’d be deemed “not a fit” for Coach Kelley’s system and available to the Bills before the last draft. Oh well.

18. Youknowimright says: Nov 6, 2013 11:27 AM

I did not see that coming.

—————————

That’s what she said. But seriously foles? really? Wow is this thing going to crash hard at some point.

19. kastout11 says: Nov 6, 2013 11:30 AM

Another thing I do not understand why everyone wants to trade Foles. If he plays lights out, wouldn’t you want to keep him and maybe it would prove he is the franchise qb that we need so bad. Also, I do not want a running qb. I see all these running qb’s taking multiple hits every week. I want a pocket qb that will have a 10-15 year NFL career. I don’t want another RG III who was hurt his rookie season, and he still does not look great. Over the last 3 years, how many times have we seen Michael stay down because he got rocked trying to run the ball. I think a running qb has an NFL shelf life of maybe 5-7 years.

20. realitypolice says: Nov 6, 2013 11:38 AM

Nick Foles stat line for the season:

63% completion percentage, 13 tds, 0 ints. His passer rating would lead the NFL by 8 points if he had started enough games.

Only 2 tds less than Aaron Rodgers, the same amount as Tom Brady and Andrew Luck, and more than Eli Manning, Flacco, Kaepernick, RGIII, Big Ben, and Jay Cutler, amongst many others.

And say what you want about 7 coming in one game. So what? Peyton Manning had 3 against the Raiders. Luck had 2. RGIII and Big Ben? 1 each. He’s had exactly one bad game.

At some point, you’re going have to start taking this guy seriously. You can only hold on to your Eagles hatred for so long before you’re going to have to acknowledge that at the very least this guy is a legitimate NFL starting QB.

And I’m not an Eagles fan, I just don’t have my head in the sand.

21. richardmswartz says: Nov 6, 2013 11:51 AM

Nov 6, 2013 11:30 AM

______________________________

I’ld think about trading him because maybe these otherguys can do what Foles can and more. While I really only think of Steve Young as a running QB that has won a Super Bowl, I can’t think of a team that lost because of running quarterback play either. I hear you on running QB’s being more prone to get injured and that’s true (5-7 year shelf life seems a little on the small end). Running QB’s do seem though, on the other hand, to snap themselves out of bad games by running where a drop back guy gets in a funk and stays there. But more to the point. I like Foles. Trade deadline is passed. I just can’t get past this nagging feeling that perhaps the team would be better off in the long run tanking with Barkely right now. Maybe it’s because I’m in my mid 30’s and am conditioned to the Eagles having a running QB, maybe I’m lettng myself get conned by Foles not being a first round pick, I don’t know. I just don’t get the feeling this guy is dynamic despite the fact he obviously playing great.

22. gallaghedj311 says: Nov 6, 2013 12:24 PM

ccjcsr says:
    Nov 6, 2013 10:20 AM
    Mike Vick wants a recount

#emptytrophycase

Tell me again who the only team is in NFL history to beat Vince Lombardi in a championship game?

Oh, the Eagles. Pretty sure they have 3 trophies, moron

23. Youknowimright says: Nov 6, 2013 12:48 PM

I think he meant

#emptylombarditrophycase

————————————

——————————-

Ah yes th good old days in eagles history. everybody remembers tommy mcdonald and norm van brocklin. come on man. stay within the last 45 years or so.

24. s0merand0mguy says: Nov 6, 2013 2:47 PM

Youknowimright says:
    Nov 6, 2013 12:48 PM

————————————

Smart and Right are two totally different things. You may be right that the trophy case is empty in Philadelphia but you are dumb because you believe your own flawed rhetoric. So the 1st team who won the Lombardi trophy would be nullified by your logic being it happened light years ago correct? Or is it because the eagles won the trophy before it was called the Lombardi? You said stay within 45 years.

25. vegasdestroyer says: Nov 8, 2013 8:27 AM

Watching Mariota limp off the field against Stanford, and with it his Heisman chances, Chip Kelly was also watching the demise of the running QB in the NFL. It’s just a matter of time RG3 is bound to get hurt again. The Eagles may still be looking for a franchise QB but Chip may not be so eager to sell the farm for one that could get planted for the season.