Vikings defensive coordinator OK with criticism from players

Alan Williams AP

After the Vikings lost to the Cowboys in Week Nine, defensive linemen Brian Robison and Kevin Williams expressed some dismay about the way the Vikings deployed their defense on the final Cowboys drive.

One major bone of contention was defensive coordinator Alan Williams’ decision to drop defensive linemen into coverage instead of sticking with the scheme that was producing pressure on Tony Romo throughout the game. Williams explained Tuesday that he made the decision to switch things up to take away screen passes from the Cowboys and said that he welcomed the input from his players.

“I don’t take that in a negative way at all,” Williams said, via Chip Scoggins of the Minneapolis Star Tribune. “Our guys are competitive. They put a lot of work in. Good players ask why: ‘Hey coach, why did you make this decision? What were you thinking?’ I have no problem whatsoever about a guy asking me why. We explain it, we talk about it and we move on.”

Coach Leslie Frazier said that he preferred any dirty laundry be hung in-house, even the rather mild variety expressed by Vikings defenders on Sunday afternoon. The best way to avoid a repeat on Thursday night would be to beat the Redskins because teams that win games usually don’t engage in much criticism, public or private, of their coaching staff.

Permalink 9 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill
9 Responses to “Vikings defensive coordinator OK with criticism from players”
  1. ad2k13 says: Nov 6, 2013 7:52 AM

I hope he’s also “OK” with the fact that he has 8 weeks (at most) remaining in his current position. Worst DC in Vikings history. Not even close.

2. filthymcnasty1 says: Nov 6, 2013 8:35 AM

I’m not sure what all the fuss is about. I’m enjoying his work.

3. Jikky Jax says: Nov 6, 2013 8:37 AM

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a bigger gap between the positive tone take by the coaches during the week and the negative performance of the team on the field during the game.

4. aintry says: Nov 6, 2013 8:41 AM

Give him the game ball because his ineptitude might be the difference next season. If the Vikes are dumb enough to actually try and win again this year instead of securing the highest possible draft pick, they need to seal the whole team in a bubble and quarantine them for stupidity.

5. orangepeanut28 says: Nov 6, 2013 9:25 AM

filthymcnasty1 says:
    Nov 6, 2013 8:35 AM
    I’m not sure what all the fuss is about. I’m enjoying his work.
    —————————————————

Much like I enjoy the work of the Packers O line….solid…truly solid.

6. jsviking says: Nov 6, 2013 9:57 AM

Leslie Fraizer has hired 4 asst coaches, 3 coordinators.
    Pagac-stunk demoted
    Musgrave O/C – dumpster fire!
    Alan Williams – total disaster (LOST)!
    Singeltary L/B never been worse!

bottom line is its time to cut this rotting fish loose from the head down. Leave the entire staff, basically all hired by Chilly in the dome when its imploded…

7. tokyosandblaster says: Nov 6, 2013 10:09 AM

He should be. He should be ok with criticism from everyone. Terrible all the way around.

8. purpleguy says: Nov 6, 2013 10:38 AM

Good that he’s okay with it, cause it’s gonna get worse.

9. Suck for the Duck says: Nov 6, 2013 11:37 AM

Hey, at least they made the other team punt this week!