Case Keenum says Matt Schaub “couldn’t be a better guy”

Case Keenum, Matt Schaub AP

Case Keenum took Matt Schaub’s job as the Texans’ starting quarterback. Schaub has handled that with class.

Keenum told the Houston Chronicle that Schaub has been a great guy to be around since they switched roles, with Keenum now on the field and Schaub holding a clipboard.

He couldn’t be a better guy through the whole thing,” Keenum said. “I’m extremely proud to know him. He’s still giving advice without me asking, just being there for me for whatever I need. I can’t say enough about him. He’s one of the best guys I know. I’m really fortunate to have him in our quarterback room.”

Keenum added that Schaub is there for him “every day. It’s in between plays in practices, on the sideline, watching film in the morning, all that stuff. It’s constant.”

Texans interim head coach Wade Phillips confirmed on Wednesday that he is on board with Gary Kubiak’s decision to replace Schaub with Keenum, and that Keenum remains the starter.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Houston Texans, Rumor Mill
10 Responses to “Case Keenum says Matt Schaub “couldn’t be a better guy””
  1. joetoronto says: Nov 7, 2013 7:46 AM

Schaub seems like he’s TOO nice of a guy, too soft.

A QB needs to be a SOB once in a while.

2. beckzhere says: Nov 7, 2013 8:36 AM

Schaub is a nice guy. When he was in Atlanta, I saw him at Hole In The Wall in Buckhead. We hung out for a while doing Jeager shots. And he was nice enough to pick up the tab.

3. pjrhc says: Nov 7, 2013 8:39 AM

The game lasts a little while. Character lasts a lifetime – and brings rewards worth more than money. Good on you, Matt Schaub.

4. ccjcsr says: Nov 7, 2013 9:11 AM

You don’t want to listen what Schaub has to say unless you want to get benched.

5. jessejames182 says: Nov 7, 2013 9:15 AM

A QB can be a nice guy. He should just be able to throw the ball more than 10 yards, and to the right team.

6. 407magic says: Nov 7, 2013 10:01 AM

No bullying here

7. craigkintexas says: Nov 7, 2013 10:19 AM

Keenum remains the starter because he has the better skill-set to win! Both of these young men have shown their character during this transition. Thanks for that.

8. mc1439 says: Nov 7, 2013 1:25 PM

Matt Schaub was a pretty good quarterback. There were some dark years where Matt and Andre had to carry the team on their back. But Matt is done.

9. cedaly1968 says: Nov 7, 2013 3:08 PM

I wish they would give these back-ups better compensation when they win the starting role. Keenum makes the league minimum, which to you and I is still a butt-ton of money, but relative to what he is being asked to do, he’s cheap.

10. Foghorn The IKonoclast says: Nov 7, 2013 10:08 PM

Ok, Larry’s Law #1 – Wishing harm on another person, especially because you do not like him or his time, you are an expletive, expletive moron.

Even Trent Dilfer is better than most QBs in the world and maybe he benefitted by some benevolent coaches, but he is a pretty decent analyst and he should be an expert in being sacked.

Matt Schaub is the kind of guy you root for, because of the aforementioned morons. Be careful or I will taze you man.