Ed Reed admits struggling with decision to bench him

Reed Getty Images

Ed Reed largely talked around his demotion.

But it’s obvious that being demoted wasn’t necessarily part of his plan.

The veteran safety has had a diminishing role with the Texans, and didn’t start last week. By his estimation, it’s the first time since his early days in college he didn’t start.

He called himself “the ultimate team player,” but the team he plays for hasn’t won a game with him in the lineup, and it’s clearly frustrating for everyone.

“I’m human,” Reed said, via Tania Ganguli of ESPN.com. “I have trial and tribulations like anybody else. Did I accept it well? No, I didn’t because I look at the tape as well. I’m grading, not just myself, but us a whole. At the same time, like I said, I understand this game. I understand where I’m at. I understand communication with my coach and what he’s trying to accomplish, what we’re trying to accomplish. At the end of the day, that’s for the betterment of the team.

“I also know that I didn’t have the reps to show that I can still do what I do even if I’m on the field. . . . But they haven’t thrown my way, not anywhere close. I think the ball has come close to me twice. Am I not doing my job or am I not being tested?”

Either way, he’s been deemed a lesser alternative to D.J. Swearinger and Shiloh Keo, though the Texans have tried to downplay the switch, saying it’s more about certain players being used in certain packages.

“Whether the sixth man or the starter or not, it’s just like a lot of other positions, it depends on what the offense comes out in in the first series or so,” interim head coach Wade Phillips said. “Sometimes they come out in four-wide and so-and-so isn’t in there and you say, ‘he’s not a starter,’ and vice versa. It’s really dictated by our packages and what we do as to who’s actually playing the first play of the game.”

That is certainly polite and might be true, but it doesn’t take a long look at Reed to see he’s not the Ed Reed of old, and not what they thought they were buying.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Houston Texans, Rumor Mill
26 Responses to “Ed Reed admits struggling with decision to bench him”
  1. riggo08 says: Nov 8, 2013 4:11 PM

Ed should have retired a champion like Ray Lewis did — he was once a great player, but there is a lot of mileage on those tires. I only wish him the best.

2. skittlesareyum says: Nov 8, 2013 4:12 PM

All good things come to an end.

3. lenbias34pt says: Nov 8, 2013 4:12 PM

We love Ed in BMore , but the few fans that actually watch the games and understand what they see, knew Ed gambled to much and his average tackling just got worse with age.

Ed is a class act and a smart man. He’ll end up on his feet!

4. mr4thand1 says: Nov 8, 2013 4:13 PM

Father Time never loses.

5. mmarra14 says: Nov 8, 2013 4:14 PM

“I think the ball has come close to me twice.”

Ed, that’s because you are busy not making plays. The guy is clearly in denial.

6. nfl4days says: Nov 8, 2013 4:16 PM

Ed really should have hung it up after last year. I hope he and Troy retire next year because they’re not doing themselves any favors this year and they have nothing left to prove. Would love to see them both go in the hall at the same time.

7. mswravens says: Nov 8, 2013 4:19 PM

Not surprised. I said when they signed Reed that he would be one & done for this very reason – no one but the Ravens would be able to appreciate what Ed still brings to the table in one year & he’s too old & his contract too rich to expect any team to have that patience. The Ravens had him for 11 years & after he slowed down (not even Ed believes he is the same guy who used to run around the field making splash plays on defense & special teams) it took a couple/few years for Bmore to understand and appreciate how he still influenced the game & dictated what offenses would do. Shame to see him go out like this, but not surprised. Hope he’s on our sideline coaching next year!!!

8. sunzu717 says: Nov 8, 2013 4:26 PM

In Ozzie we trust – see all ex-BAL players still active in the NFL for more. I love Ed Reed man but Ozzie is one smart cat.

9. Foghorn The IKonoclast says: Nov 8, 2013 4:29 PM

Regardless it is sad to see great players go. This is the real world and reality is harsh and unforgiving. Even players like DeMarcus Ware’s their days are short and it could be shorter and that is why I never cheer when a player is hurt.

I give respect to organizations because their relative greatness made for great seasons and great players. Tradition, excitement and enthusiasm is the heart of the game.

10. 2qswing says: Nov 8, 2013 4:29 PM

Boy did Ed Reed pull a fast one on the Texans. Slow, old and way way past his prime.

11. jimnaizeeum says: Nov 8, 2013 4:32 PM

He’s not the Ed Reed of old, but he sure looks old.

12. rickywatts80 says: Nov 8, 2013 4:32 PM

Swearinger was awesome on Deadwood.

13. marvsleezy says: Nov 8, 2013 4:41 PM

Welcome to the mish mash of a Wade Phillips press conference. I love the guy, but he can be something else with the media.

Saying that a guy is a starter or not based on what personnel gets on the field the very first play? Wade knows full well thats not what they were asking him.

When we was in Buffalo he was asked about his struggling punt returner, Chris Watson, he said, hes not really a punt returner, hes more of a punt catcher. Classic Wade.

14. rodh32340 says: Nov 8, 2013 4:54 PM

C’mon Reed, just because the ball doesn’t get thrown your way doesn’t mean you quit playing! You’re dogging it and you know it!

15. 8to80texansblog says: Nov 8, 2013 4:58 PM

Ed Reed is a first ballot HOFer and possibly the worst offseason pickup in franchise history.

He has been beyond bad. He finally hit someone last week…. Too bad it was in the head with his elbow.

To be honest he looks almost disinterested out there.

I miss GQ bad.

16. 52crabcakes says: Nov 8, 2013 5:04 PM

I still love you Ed! Retire a Raven after this year and I will have back to back trips to the Hall of Fame!

Ed has always looked old!

17. ravenmomma says: Nov 8, 2013 5:15 PM

Oh how I wish Ed Reed would have hung up his cleats after last year and went out on a high note playing his entire career in Baltimore. I wish these guys could realize you get to the point where your playing ability actually hurts your team, not helps it. Much respect to Ed though for what he brought to Baltimore for many years. What a pleasure it was to watch him in his prime.

18. bigwinintx says: Nov 8, 2013 5:19 PM

Face it Texans’ fans…

He got over on us.

19. henryjones20 says: Nov 8, 2013 5:22 PM

ok why has the song take the money and run just come into my head?

20. toybkshr says: Nov 8, 2013 5:25 PM

Can’t blame Reed for takin the $$. If the Texans aren’t smart enough to know when Ozzie, BB, etc let star players walk, there’s a reason.

21. 8to80texansblog says: Nov 8, 2013 5:50 PM

riggo08 says: Nov 8, 2013 4:11 PM

__________________________

He really should have retired last year.

Him and Lewis could have gone into the hall together.

22. blazertop says: Nov 8, 2013 5:58 PM

Texans will NEVER say anything even remotely controversial. Other than Watt, and AJ, they have drafted and signed free agents as bad as any team ever

23. wearetexans says: Nov 8, 2013 8:52 PM

Ed Reed played us…now it’s time to play him! Cut this clown, now!!!

24. cranespy says: Nov 9, 2013 9:22 AM

TexNs release him…..NE brings him in….Ed has a pick 6 vs both his old teams and BB cuts him before the playoffs

25. toe65 says: Nov 10, 2013 8:38 AM

It has been quite evident that Ed Reed has not been playing up to his past standards. He is very hesitant to be aggressive and play hard nosed football, so it is time for him to sit down and evaluate himself and see if he still has the will to play at that level again.

26. jimmyjames65 says: Nov 11, 2013 7:51 PM